PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever noticed...

JediBeldarine
Jun 6th, 2007, 01:59:53 PM
that trying to have a reaonable, intelligent disagreement with someone online is like bangning your thumb repeatedly with a hammer?

Also... have you ever noticed how most people online don't actually read what you write, they just immediately disagree with you and proceed to write a lengthy (grammar and spelling-deficient) message about how much you sleep with goats and suck big time? Their message is devoid of anything resembling logic or common sense, yet they still manage the brain power to hit send. They don't even bother to spout out anything even close to the truth (nevermind logic or common sense)...

I'm really starting to worry about the human race. These people have to act the same way in real life -- how do they have any friends?! But then... perhaps people just behave that way because they feel the internet is anonymous and they can behave any way they chose. I don't like that option, however, because it really puts us on the level of monkeys (not that we're that much higher anyway).

Also, why do people automatically assume those they meet online are male?

Anyway... enough of my esoteric rambling. Go Gators :)

JediBeldarine
Jun 6th, 2007, 02:00:38 PM
You know... just reading my post... This opens me up for so many retarded comments. Dammit.

Aurelias Kazaar
Jun 6th, 2007, 02:19:44 PM
Eh could be worse. You could have half of your listening area think you're insane.

;)

Karl Valten
Jun 6th, 2007, 02:20:03 PM
I technically prove your statement because I disagree with it. :p

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 6th, 2007, 02:25:51 PM
Have you ever noticed that trying to have a reaonable, intelligent disagreement with someone online....

I think that's you mistake right there. I'm a firm believer that there's really no point in dedicating a lot of time and effort to write out long and verbose argumentation in debates with people you know nothing about. 99% of the time it's going to be a wasted effort. The only time I might do something like that is if I've known the person long enough and well enough to trust their 1) ability to approach things thoughtfully and with well-reasoned replies and 2) that they are friendly enough with me that I can simply expect a cordial or at least civil response.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 6th, 2007, 02:49:26 PM
The internet is serious bussiness.

The internet also used to be a lot better and pretty much the only people on it for the first ~7 years were nerdy guys. Sure, there were nerdraging and egos and nonsense but goddamnit almost everything used to be typed correctly unless you were from a non-english speaking country and those guys made the effort so it was cool because they were usually hacking the crap out of something and giving you some awesome mp3s or whatever.

As someone who has spent most of their carreer in some sort of customer service capacity I can say with solid authority that people are stupid, and they are stupider still on the internet because their internal filter usually shuts off so they spew mindless crap regardless of the consequences.

You are somewhat overreacting. The trick is to build up huge layers of indifference and laugh a lot because goddamn they are stupid.

Itala Marzullo
Jun 6th, 2007, 04:50:21 PM
Why does this remind me a lot of Xbox Live?

Some major league pricks in there. Put me to shame.

JediBeldarine
Jun 6th, 2007, 05:09:13 PM
You are somewhat overreacting. The trick is to build up huge layers of indifference and laugh a lot because goddamn they are stupid.

I don't think I'm necessarily overreacting, per se... simply because I'm not that angry about it. I just kind of laugh. As far as my comment about losing hope in humankind, that's been going on for far longer than some silly argument online.

Hart -- you're right... but sometimes I just can't help myself. When people are acting stupid I feel the need to stand up and insert some sort of clear-thinking and order. One day I'll stop... but I'm not sure when that will be.

I just think it's amusing. These big, bad men threatening me (to kill me or to beat the "living hell" out of me were just two of the comments I received) because I (gasp) tried to bring a bit of reason into a debate. I'd wager good money that if I stood in front of them and DARED them to repeat what they said online, they wouldn't. They only did it because a) I know more about sports than they do, b) they thought I wouldn't come back and see what they'd written, c) they were completely anonymous and d) they thought I was a man.

:)

Jen

Morgan Evanar
Jun 6th, 2007, 05:14:36 PM
As far as my comment about losing hope in humankind, that's been going on for far longer than some silly argument online.Things are pretty much the same as they have always been. There are just a lot more of us.

Itala Marzullo
Jun 6th, 2007, 06:04:50 PM
Things are pretty much the same as they have always been. There are just a lot more of us.

Yup, before we killed each other with stones, now with missiles, and then with evil sharks with laser beams.

Razielle Alastor
Jun 6th, 2007, 07:08:04 PM
that trying to have a reaonable, intelligent disagreement with someone online is like bangning your thumb repeatedly with a hammer?

Also... have you ever noticed how most people online don't actually read what you write, they just immediately disagree with you and proceed to write a lengthy (grammar and spelling-deficient) message about how much you sleep with goats and suck big time? Their message is devoid of anything resembling logic or common sense, yet they still manage the brain power to hit send. They don't even bother to spout out anything even close to the truth (nevermind logic or common sense)...

I'm really starting to worry about the human race. These people have to act the same way in real life -- how do they have any friends?! But then... perhaps people just behave that way because they feel the internet is anonymous and they can behave any way they chose. I don't like that option, however, because it really puts us on the level of monkeys (not that we're that much higher anyway).

You know.. I know exactly what you mean.. :D

:hug

Rutabaga
Jun 6th, 2007, 07:18:17 PM

I've given up posting at at least 2 messageboards for these exact reasons. It's too bad when you have bullies who gang up on people, attempting to make people feel like idiots because they have different opinions and thoughts. The shame of it all is that often the bullies are the most vocal people around, and in the end, it just isn't worth the BS and it's time to move on.

That's why I like posting here so much...people usually respect each other and the conversation is generally congenial. And if things do start to get out of hand, there's always someone here to remind everybody to be nice and respectful :hug.

Zereth Lancer
Jun 6th, 2007, 07:34:57 PM
Why does this remind me a lot of Xbox Live?

Some major league A-holes in there. Put me to shame.

Damn straight. The chat mic, a blessing and a curse. Seriously. Just because you have freedom of speech does not give you the right to profane the English language by only using slang and swears when you talk. Saying "Bisnitch" at the end of every sentence is not cool, especially when your white.

But I digress, kind of.

The internet will never be free of idiots. In order for there to be sensible people, there must be insensible people. Although, I must say that arguing over the internet is a huge waste of time, for many of the same reasons listed already in this thread. When your sending messages between yourself and another person or persons, how in the world do you expect to accomplish anything without the physical queues found when talking to someone in person, such as being able to gage the age of the person you are talking to. How are you to know that this "idiot" your arguing with is not, in fact, a stupid twelve-year-old who is adamant that what his brother's friend's neighbor said about whatever is concrete? Never forget that most people under the age of, say, twenty are irrational and will believe in just about anything, but never change their minds. Threats, now why the hell do people threaten people over the internet? It's like beating a kitten to death with scented shoelaces. Redundant and, well, stupid. Now, if your some kind of mobster who kills people on a regular basis, then you have the, for lack of a better word, 'right' to threaten, because there is an actual weight behind said threat. But if your a thirty-two year old man who sits on the computer all day in your underwear and haven't left aforementioned computer save to grab a box of poptarts and use the facilities, then why are you threatening anyone? Your more likely to crap yourself when confronted with the person you've threatened then hurt them.

Some people just cannot accept that someone else knows more then them.

In my personal opinion: arguing over the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win your still a retard.

Odd. I tend to mistake men for women. But maybe that's just me.

Itala Marzullo
Jun 6th, 2007, 08:11:49 PM
Out of a thousand people I played vs online, two were girls, but I guess Gears of War isn't a big draw.

Cursing isn't even what bothers me, it's the bastards that say crap like "Noob, sticking grenades or using the chainsaw is SO cheap!" or "I didn't give you permission to talk!" and it's like 12 year old little brats.

The dark side of my imagination flourishes when I play vs these idiots.

Khendon Sevon
Jun 6th, 2007, 08:17:37 PM
The internet is serious bussiness.

The internet also used to be a lot better and pretty much the only people on it for the first ~7 years were nerdy guys. Sure, there were nerdraging and egos and nonsense but goddamnit almost everything used to be typed correctly unless you were from a non-english speaking country and those guys made the effort so it was cool because they were usually hacking the crap out of something and giving you some awesome mp3s or whatever.

I completely agree. Darn, not much else I can say. Hmm.

Potato.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 6th, 2007, 08:43:47 PM
One of the best times I had online was playing Quake 2 CTF with a drunk guy from Sweden. He cussed a lot, sometimes in Sweedish.

A large part of the problem is the barrier of entry is so much lower. Any idiot can get online, and the social pressure is for everyone to have at least an e-mail account. The problem is when people start to wander beyond the e-mail account.

Oh well, pour a 40 on the floor for our lost Secret Internet.

that trying to have a reaonable, intelligent disagreement with someone online is like bangning your thumb repeatedly with a hammer?I don't frequent those places. There are a few bastions of sanity left, but sadly, even those have begun to erode away.

I just think it's amusing. These big, bad men threatening me (to kill me or to beat the "living hell" out of me were just two of the comments I received) because I (gasp) tried to bring a bit of reason into a debate. I'd wager good money that if I stood in front of them and DARED them to repeat what they said online, they wouldn't. They only did it because a) I know more about sports than they do, b) they thought I wouldn't come back and see what they'd written, c) they were completely anonymous and d) they thought I was a man.Oh, you are posting on a sports forum or something. What do you expect, really?

JediBeldarine
Jun 6th, 2007, 09:10:18 PM
I don't frequent those places. There are a few bastions of sanity left, but sadly, even those have begun to erode away.
Oh, you are posting on a sports forum or something. What do you expect, really?

Actually it was on the Orlando Sentinel's forums (our local newspaper). I didn't even know other people actually read the Sentinel, nevermind knew the forums existed... lol :)

Yeah, I know... I shouldn't go asking for it :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 6th, 2007, 10:45:02 PM
Hey guys, its a good discussion but don't use words that are filtered by the censor. If you see a *** in your post, edit out the word and use another one.

Trip the filter, thread is warned. Don't fix it or it gets tripped again in a thread and thread is closed. :)