PDA

View Full Version : All time favorite flop?

Itala Marzullo
Jun 5th, 2007, 09:56:06 AM
The Thirteenth Warrior with Antonio Banderas and Vladimir Kullich.

Viking warriors return to the motherland to help a town that's being literally eaten by a hideous cannibal tribe called the "Wendol". Somehow an arab ambassador (played by Banderas) gets entangled in this whole mess.

Harsh, bloody but well crafted. Unfortunately the movie was rushed and you can see by the many holes in the plot and characters, but Bulliwyf (Kullich) has THE most awesome ending to any battle (I won't say more) that I have ever seen. It's filled with this macho emo stuff that fans of Braveheart, Gladiator, 300 and such love.

Should be able to find it for five bucks online, I love this movie so much I used most of the characters for Path To Glory, heh.

Unfortunately so much money was spent such was the bad publicity that it flopped, but that will never take away the AWESOME ending.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z81/giuliano81/image04.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z81/giuliano81/buliwyf201.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z81/giuliano81/buliwyf.jpg

Yog
Jun 5th, 2007, 12:13:10 PM
Oh yeah, the 13th warrior flopped horribly. It had a $160 million budget and only made $32M in domestic theaters. I never got around to see it, thanks for reminding me.

My favorite flop in recent years is The Island (2005):
http://imdb.com/title/tt0399201/

It had a production budget of $126 million, and only made $35M. The trailers totally confused people what the movie was about, and in the end it went below everyone's radar.

The Island was also very underrated by the critics. Probably my favorite futuristic sci fi the last 3 years or so. I actually prefer it over Serenity (which sadly also underachieved, but it had smaller budget). Very entertaining, with cool action and effects. Would you believe it even challenges the mind with moral issues and plot twists. It works both as a popcorn movie and a comment on society. Hard to believe it is a Michael Bay movie. The Island reminds me a lot of Minority Report, so if you like that, chances are you will like this.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2007, 02:24:35 PM
The island was okay, but it did have it share of problems, and I understand why audiences were interested in it. The concept is tough to get people into see it.

If going by this list
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_office_flops
I would say King Arthur although I think it wasn't really a flop because it made money overseas. That is really the same with the Island. The movie made its money back and probably broke even.
Really true flops and bombs are stuff like Pluto Nash, Gigli and Heaven's Gate. Those things never broke even and are usually movies that are just unwatchable.

Yog
Jun 5th, 2007, 02:51:19 PM
That is true. A lot of movies income nowadays depends on overseas box office and DVD sales. DVD sales have become so important, talking about "box office slumps" becomes absurd in that context. People don't watch less movies. They just do it different ways. We live in a multimedia society. There is also a lot more competition. Everyone and their hamster got their console, satellite, DVD player, PC etc.

The large majority of movies released nowadays break even eventually. Pluto Nash was unique in how far it went into the red. Pluto and Gigli are also unique in how awful they are, no one bothers to watch them even out of curiousity.

I am not sure The Island broke even though. You gotta keep in mind, the studios only get about 50% of the ticket price (the theaters get their share), and there are distributing and marketing costs involved as well.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2007, 02:58:41 PM
Well actually I should clairfy that about the Island. The movie made close to 200 million overseas, but the thing is WB got that money. WB and Dreamworks split the budgets and profits. Dreamworks got the Domestic and WB got overseas. WB probably made some money off the Island. I bet Dreamworks lost money.

Yog
Jun 5th, 2007, 03:19:11 PM
Certainly sounds like WB got the better end of the deal there. It's odd how domestic and overseas gross can differ so much. Marketing must have been a big factor, but you would think there is something about the culture and taste for movies as well.

I looked at the wikipedia list, and here are a few more worth taking note of:

* Dune - timeless sci fi classic
* The Fountain - actually a very good movie, but too experimental for box office
* The Majestic - Jim Carrey showing he can do drama
* Serenity - cult movie among sci fi fans
* Zodiac - I have not seen this yet, but I hear it's great

Lucilla Marzullo
Jun 5th, 2007, 03:20:24 PM
Hmm...I liked Josie and the Pussycats, because it made me laugh so hard! "That's Mr. Moviephone! *gasp!* You slept with him!"

I also love "The Boondock Saints". I liked the plot the most, I think, and the detective!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 5th, 2007, 03:33:13 PM
OMG I adore Josie and the Pussycats!!! :crack

Itala Marzullo
Jun 5th, 2007, 03:37:10 PM
Look what you did, Cassie...

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2007, 07:15:15 PM
I think some should be listed on there like The Boondock Saints it has made its money back on DVD and TV easily, because it didn't cost much to make. Although The Bridge of San Luis Rey is a huge fiancial disaster and made nothing in theaters, nothing on DVD and I have never even seen it on cable.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 5th, 2007, 07:19:11 PM
Boondock Saints I love, and I also really like 13th Warrior. :thumbup

Flops. Psh. :rolleyes Not to me they aren't!

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2007, 07:24:18 PM
Boondock Saints I love, and I also really like 13th Warrior. :thumbup

Flops. Psh. :rolleyes Not to me they aren't!

Heh well it depends on how you define them. To me flops or bombs are rare. I think they should only be used for the Pluto Nash, and Heavens Gates of the world. I think disapointment is a better term since most movies do make money eventually.

Itala Marzullo
Jun 5th, 2007, 07:47:57 PM
Waterworld should be about to break even now.

Karl Valten
Jun 5th, 2007, 09:56:35 PM
Dang it, I was going to make that same comment. :twak

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 6th, 2007, 09:30:04 AM
I can't think of what really old cheesy movies I liked, but I though Nicolas Cage's "Weatherman" was fantastic. Highly recommended.

Jaime Tomahawk
Jun 6th, 2007, 04:20:09 PM
Waterworld should be about to break even now.

It broke even a long, long time ago. Waterworld was in fact quite successful on overseas markets on it's initial release.

In reality, a lot of "flops" in the USA make it resonably big elsewhere and thence cease to be flops. I would not, for example call Boondock Saints a flop as it was a hit in Japan and of course went on to do big things on DVD.

Dune - timeless sci fi classic

Frank Herbert fanboi sez may thy knife chip and shatter for that comment. Classic my .........! The reason why that one died a deserved death is how badly Lynch mangled and twisted the Dune ethos into something so unlike what Herbert wrote.

Droo
Jun 6th, 2007, 04:48:05 PM
I love Tank Girl.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2007, 06:12:42 PM
It broke even a long, long time ago. Waterworld was in fact quite successful on overseas markets on it's initial release.

In reality, a lot of "flops" in the USA make it resonably big elsewhere and thence cease to be flops. I would not, for example call Boondock Saints a flop as it was a hit in Japan and of course went on to do big things on DVD.

Frank Herbert fanboi sez may thy knife chip and shatter for that comment. Classic my .........! The reason why that one died a deserved death is how badly Lynch mangled and twisted the Dune ethos into something so unlike what Herbert wrote.

The theatrical version of Dune was also was edited to garbage, not sure if that is Lynch's fault or not. I have heard the expanded version is better but if that is true I have no idea.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 6th, 2007, 06:13:29 PM
The miniseries version is great :D

Aurelias Kazaar
Jun 6th, 2007, 06:38:09 PM
I still like Blade: Trinity. And the Thirteenth Warrior

Yog
Jun 6th, 2007, 07:16:17 PM

Woah! Hold the phone a second! I am a fan of Frank Herbert myself. And even though the 1984 movie may not appeal to purists, it captured the characters, setting and feeling of Frank Herbert's universe really well. Lynch' verrsion is all about capturing the spirit and atmosphere of the book. It is not only a good adaption, it's an epic science fiction masterpiece. An absolutely enchanting experience.

Frank Herbert himself said he liked the adaptation. He said the characters looked just like he imagined them. Apparently, a lot of people have trouble with David Lynch ways of making surrealistic movies. It's his style as director and artistic vision.

The theatrical version of Dune was also was edited to garbage, not sure if that is Lynch's fault or not.

There are like 3 different edits out there. The extended version is better. The producers cut the theatrical one with a chainsaw.

Senator Prent
Jun 6th, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Why hasn't Christin posted in here with Cutthroat Island yet?

Locksmith
Jun 6th, 2007, 09:54:44 PM
Or Space Truckers?

Zem Vymes
Jun 6th, 2007, 10:26:53 PM
DO NOT EVER MENTION THAT MOVIE AGAIN, LEST SHE PLAY IT ONCE MORE :x

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 9th, 2007, 05:03:28 PM
I saw this on TV today, how about Mystery Men. That was a pretty good movie considering it was a flop at the box office.

Itala Marzullo
Jun 10th, 2007, 12:53:30 AM
I saw this on TV today, how about Mystery Men. That was a pretty good movie considering it was a flop at the box office.

I didn't bother seeing it, Stiller in my humnle opinion is a very overrated comedian who is put in funny roles, joining the ranks of Will Ferrell.

They don't hold a candle to the likes of Jim Carrey. He culd turn the stupidest of scripts into a laughing riot. (Dumb And Dumber, Liar Liar)

Jaime Tomahawk
Jun 10th, 2007, 07:44:37 AM
I didn't bother seeing it, Stiller in my humnle opinion is a very overrated comedian who is put in funny roles, joining the ranks of Will Ferrell.

They don't hold a candle to the likes of Jim Carrey. He culd turn the stupidest of scripts into a laughing riot. (Dumb And Dumber, Liar Liar)

I agree about Stiller - but the rest of the movie (apart from Claire Forlani, who was terrible) is awesomely funny and more than worth buying on DVD. I guess it does fit the definition of flop as well.....

And it has Geoffery Rush in it! How often do you see someone like him just having a hell of a lot of fun?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 10th, 2007, 11:20:37 AM
Mystery Men was great - but when I first saw it in the theatre I thought it was awful. I think the running time was too long and there's something off in the pacing of the movie. But its really a good, fun movie. Jeneane Garafalo is in it! Even if I can't spell her name. :uhoh

Itala Marzullo
Jun 10th, 2007, 01:00:11 PM
Mystery Men was great - but when I first saw it in the theatre I thought it was awful. I think the running time was too long and there's something off in the pacing of the movie. But its really a good, fun movie. Jeneane Garafalo is in it! Even if I can't spell her name. :uhoh

Garofalo is in it? And Geoffrey Rush? I must buy it then, should be cheap online.

sirdizzy
Jun 17th, 2007, 02:52:58 PM
Howard the duck

http://www.clubdesmonstres.com/howardduck.jpg

Liam Jinn
Jun 18th, 2007, 04:11:08 PM
Mystery Men? Uggh. I caught the last part of it on TV the other day, and I couldn't stand it. I'm not sure if I've ever seen the full movie or not, but I think I'll miss out on that one.

Oh, and I'm not sure if Galaxy Quest was a flop or not, but I love that movie.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 18th, 2007, 06:26:03 PM
I don't think Galaxy Quest was a flop.

I love it too. :love

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 18th, 2007, 09:18:58 PM
Mystery Men? Uggh. I caught the last part of it on TV the other day, and I couldn't stand it. I'm not sure if I've ever seen the full movie or not, but I think I'll miss out on that one.

Oh, and I'm not sure if Galaxy Quest was a flop or not, but I love that movie.

I don't think it was a flop either. I think it made almost 100 million, but it didn't cost that much to make. It just didn't make enough for the studio to give a go for a sequel.

Itala Marzullo
Jun 20th, 2007, 05:05:24 AM
Galaxy Quest was a sleeper hit and it was AWESOME. Great CGI, funny as hell, it has Sigourney Weaver and Tim Allen, not much more to ask from a parody.

Jesimae Lawson
Jun 21st, 2007, 02:12:27 PM
My favorite flop, Grindhouse.

It was so funny and so clever, then again I love my cheesed up horror films. I am sad, though, that it didn't appeal to people. I am praying for some kick butt DVD sales cause that movie deserves a lot of money. In my opinion, that is! :)

Wyl Staedtler
Jun 25th, 2007, 03:28:46 AM
I loved Life as a House. Mostly because Kevin Kline = Love.

Also Meet Joe Black, which apparently didn't do too well in the box office?

Senator Prent
Jun 25th, 2007, 09:07:05 AM
Meet Joe Black was terrible. The only redeeming part of that movie was Brad Pitt's utterly gruesome car crash death

Itala Marzullo
Jun 25th, 2007, 09:37:56 AM
Meet Joe Black was terrible. The only redeeming part of that movie was Brad Pitt's utterly gruesome car crash death

I thought it was alright, if you like the kind of movie where all the actors seem to be falling asleep while talking and no action of any type at all that is.

That car accident was amazing.

Mu Satach
Jun 25th, 2007, 01:56:35 PM

You have to be in the right frame of mind for Mystery Men and be into super campy crap. "God's given me a gift. I shovel well. I shovel very well."

It's full of weird little junk like Captain Amazing losing his Pepsi endorsements, their 1st big attack on Casanova Frankenstien where they key and dent his car. With Mr. Furious just spazzing on the hood with his fists. Their superhero auditions, the training the Sphinx puts them through and their diner conversations

The Shoveller: If we had a billionaire like Lance Hunt as our benefactor...
Mr. Furious: That's because Lance Hunt *IS* Captain Amazing
The Shoveller: Don't start that *again*. Lance Hunt wears glasses. Captain Amazing *doesn't* wear glasses.
Mr. Furious: He takes them off when he transforms.
The Shoveller: That doesn't make any sense, he wouldn't be able to see.

And Eddie Izzard as Tony P. is awesome "Disco is NOT DEAD!" When they step out of their caddie all pimped out I lose it.

If you only saw the end where they "succeed" then it would completely suck.
And if you don't like stupid humor you'll hate it completely and should avoid it at all costs.

Laodice Laos
Jun 25th, 2007, 04:26:02 PM

Well I liked it too, so I guess we're going to have to fight to the death now. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 25th, 2007, 08:30:32 PM

:lol!!! Quoted for great truth! Although I did like the part where he talks to the Jamaican woman greatly. But I made my friends rewind the car crash so we could watch it again.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 25th, 2007, 08:33:35 PM
I had no idea that Meet Joe Black was so disliked. I really enjoyed it.

:(

Itala Marzullo
Jun 25th, 2007, 08:35:11 PM
I actually liked it, but I can see why people would hate it and think it was boring. You have to be in the right set of mind to watch, not expect an ironic thriller or something.

Tess Abrahams
Jun 25th, 2007, 11:31:50 PM
I had no idea that Meet Joe Black was so disliked. I really enjoyed it.

:(

Have a cookie, luv. :D

Itala Marzullo
Jul 8th, 2007, 09:39:06 PM
I just watched Evolution and even though the whole movie is so-so, the climax with the giant, jumbo anus is the funniest crap I've ever seen.