PDA

View Full Version : Difficulties posting

Morgan Faith
Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:04:51 PM
I tried to post a new thread in the General Roleplaying Star Wars forum but it wouldn't let me preview the post and when I hit submit, nothing appeared except for my sig. The text was gone. I apologize, as I edited it to ask that it be removed, but I tried to edit the post and insert the original post text but it still wouldn't appear.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:07:50 PM
We have run into problems in the past when posting with certain bits of code or when a post is very large large.

Would it be possible for you to attach a text file with the contents of what you are trying to post?

EDIT: and something else I just thought of. Did you select a topic tag for your post before trying to preview or post? Edit2: I tested tags and forums - things appear to be fine with the board and topic tag setup)

Morgan Faith
Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:48:20 PM
I can, yes. I did select a topic tag. I wasn't sure which to choose, the roleplay one or the open one, so I had chosen Open. I'm guessing its the tags. Anyway, here's the text file (http://www.sharnyl.net/post.txt)

And thank you :)

TheHolo.Net
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:00:38 PM
From looking at the code, my guess is there are too many images used in the post. The easiest way to get around this and keep all of your content is to split the single post into Multiple posts. I just did a test with the first few paragraphs and they previewed fine, while trying the entire post did not work and behaved exactly as you described. One of the other admins, LD, has run into this exact issue and the only resolution we could find was splitting her post into two.

And a note just to pass on a little info. There is an area inside the 'post reply' and 'new topic' screens where you can actually add 'Attachment' files to your post. Then there would be no need for you to host it on your own webspace.

Morgan Faith
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:01:36 PM
Oh okay, I see. Thank you for your help :)

TheHolo.Net
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:07:51 PM
You are welcome.

Let me know if you have any problems. For now, I am going to tag this topic as complete. If the issue persists go ahead and post here and I'll change the tag back.

Morgan Faith
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:35:45 PM
Oops, sorry to bug you again. I broke the post up into two. When I tried to submit them both, a window popped up asking me if I wanted to download and save a post.php or something file. I hit cancel, but the second post ended up posting twice lol.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:37:02 PM
Odd. I'll go delete the double post for you.

EDIT: Done. :)

Morgan Faith
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:41:08 PM
Thank you so much!

:( I'm so sorry to trouble you yet again. I'm having the oddest experiences tonight. Along with getting a download pop up window when posting, asking where I want to save the posting.php file, I tried to get back to the main index of the forum and received a pop up download box again. This time it was asking where I wanted to save index.php. Again, hit cancel.

I'm wondering if possibly a setting on my computer or even with Firefox is causing this happen?

TheHolo.Net
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:49:21 PM
No problem.

Sorry you has to split your post like that. I believe the issue is actually caused by what I guess is a software security feature to avoid malicious posts. I am in no way saying your post was malicious, but so many coding tags is risky to the site if posted with ill intent.

Morgan Faith
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:53:52 PM
I understand completely. I actually didn't even realize just how long it really was until I just looked at it again a few minutes ago. Thanks again for your help, you're great :)