PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Sacrafice

Park Kraken
Jun 3rd, 2007, 02:09:33 PM
I've read the book, and it's pretty good, although I am a little ticked off at what happens in the book. But it was a fairly good read, IMO, and the plot continues and thickens.

Ok, so Jacen solo keeps on thinking Ben skywalker is the person he'll have to kill in order to achieve the rank of Sith lord, the love that he'll have to sacrafice. But as it turns out, Mara Jade Skywalker is the person that he kills, and he takes the name of Darth Caedus. Lumiya offers herself up as a distraction, and is beheaded by Luke after Mara's death, even though Ben later tells him that it wasn't Lumiya that killed his mother. Luke is now a broken man.

For the rest of the oohs and aahs, Ben in the role of GAG, assassinates Corellian Prime Minister Dur Gejjen, and Jacen has Cal Omas arrested, and assumes the dual role of Prime Minister along with Admiral Niathal.

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:14:10 PM
Wow... I stopped reading EU stuff when they switched over to NJO stuff... From those spoilers, they've clearly gone a pretty far way since then...

Sounds cool though. Is it continuity heavy, or can someone jump in with Sacrifice?

Senator Prent
Jun 4th, 2007, 12:04:58 AM
From that blurb, I am rather glad I stayed out of the EU :x

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 4th, 2007, 09:41:49 AM
It all sounds very confusing, with all the Solo's and Skywalker's...

Miranda Tarkin
Jun 12th, 2007, 06:44:22 AM
Considering it was Mara that died in that spoiler I am very glad I stopped reading EU crap :| that character is my favorite, and always has been since I read the Thrawn Trilogy

Not to mention everything is confusing as all hell

Jaime Tomahawk
Jun 12th, 2007, 06:01:20 PM
Considering it was Mara that died in that spoiler I am very glad I stopped reading EU crap :| that character is my favorite, and always has been since I read the Thrawn Trilogy

Not to mention everything is confusing as all hell

The problem with EU books is that they started off with three absolutely superb ones that set the bar very high and since then have consistently gone downhill. Then you have hacks like Barabara Hamby get their mitts on the EU and you basically have a spiral of death as each new writer adds some more nonsense and the next writer has to work with it and it just gets worse.

The next problem is that the EU has a market that will just simply buy, no matter the quality. No matter how screwed up they make things, it will still sell thousands.

In general, you will read much better EU within roleplays than in published books

Miranda Tarkin
Jun 12th, 2007, 08:01:42 PM
You are true to an extent. I enjoyed reading some of the series before the Vong crap came along >_>

Park Kraken
Jun 13th, 2007, 01:56:16 AM
Ok then.....

What in particular is confusing, and I will try to clarify it for you.

Miranda Tarkin
Jun 13th, 2007, 06:17:56 AM
everything since the Vong came... and ...I highly dislike the direction the series went and is going. This is just a bad combo on top of the spoiler you presented.

Zem-El Vymes
Jun 13th, 2007, 08:12:16 AM
Yeah, I could handle the EU until they started the YV, and then it just took a turn for the ridiculous. Hell, I still enjoy the pre-OT EU books. It just seems to be that YV and beyond is unreadable.

Droo
Jun 13th, 2007, 05:07:10 PM
The only EU book I've ever read is The Truce at Bakura, I enjoyed it but am so glad that I never went further. That blurb of spoilers has just convinced me I made the right choice. If anything, I'm going to start reading more roleplays than I ever used to now.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 13th, 2007, 05:50:50 PM
I'm still waiting for an unsuspecting R.A. Salvatore or K.J. Anderson to wander in here and try to RP alongside our fantastic writers. ;)

We could hold an RP tournament and see who can out RP the other. *dreams*

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 13th, 2007, 07:43:34 PM
I haven't read this series at all. The Vong series had so many problems I just have never started this one. I might pick them up in paperback.

Clea Darkrunner
Jun 13th, 2007, 08:33:47 PM
Lilaena: Are you serious? I've got an unpublished Star Wars based book....

http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12260 Imperial Princess is just part of it.

Clea

Mu Satach
Jun 21st, 2007, 09:23:31 PM
I'm still waiting for an unsuspecting R.A. Salvatore or K.J. Anderson to wander in here and try to RP alongside our fantastic writers. ;)

We could hold an RP tournament and see who can out RP the other. *dreams*

Bring it on baby!

*starts shadow boxing to the Rocky theme*

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 22nd, 2007, 01:08:44 AM
Lilaena: Are you serious? I've got an unpublished Star Wars based book....

http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12260 Imperial Princess is just part of it.

Clea
Am I serious about wishing a published EU writer would come RP here? Yes.

Is your book in process of being approved or something? To qualify as EU you have to have Lucas' support or something I think.

Jedieb
Jul 4th, 2007, 05:17:56 PM
I just finished Sacrifice this afternoon. Like a sap, I've read just about everything the EU has had to offer. For the most part, this was one of the worst EU books I've read. It was mind numbingly boring at times. That's part of the reason it took me so long to finish it. I really didn't get on a roll until today when I got to the part where Ben finally figured out that his beloved Jacen is nothing but a scumbag. Jacen's character became unbelievably annoying during the Vong series (before Anakin died). But after they decided to kill off Anakin for no other reason than his character had the unfortunate fate to be named after the first Anakin I really started to dislike Jacen. The powers that be elevated Jacen to be the strongest of the Solo/Skywalker offspring. Now Legacy is all about his descent to a Sith Lord. Ughh, I now have to put up with 3 more novels before he finally gets his comeuppance.

Mara's gone and Luke will probably be useless for 2 novels. A blind man could see that there's only one person possibly responsible for her death, but the pieces won't get put together for another 2 1/2 books. Ughh, why do I even bother reading this crap?

Yog
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:33:26 PM
From that blurb, I am rather glad I stayed out of the EU :xThis.

Ughh, why do I even bother reading this crap?And this :p

SW OT > SW Prequels > Zahn Trilogy >>> EU crap

Hartus Kenobi
Jul 5th, 2007, 01:42:17 PM
What do you think about the rest of Zahn's stuff? I was at B&N yesterday, and I saw two novels dealing with something called the Outbound Flight. Forget what the titles were. Are these good?

Yog
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:12:41 PM
I have not read Zahn's newer novels yet, so I can't say. Although, I did read the duology, Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future, and thought it was ok. Some SW purists don't like it though, cause of the Luke / Mara thing.

Edit: Also, you are probably thinking of the Outbound Flight, Survivor's Quest and Alliegiance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Zahn

Jedieb
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:25:02 PM
What do you think about the rest of Zahn's stuff? I was at B&N yesterday, and I saw two novels dealing with something called the Outbound Flight. Forget what the titles were. Are these good?

Outbound Flight was pretty good. It gave Zahn the opportunity to write about some of his more famous characters like Thrawn and C'Boath. Obi-Wan and Anakin are also in the novel.

I swear, the longer Mara's death sits with me, the angrier I get. Luke is going to be devastated. And I was wrong earlier, I don't have to slog through 3 more novels before Jacen gets his nads handed to him, it's FOUR more books before Legacy gets wrapped up. The list of people who should knock Jacen off is getting longer and longer;
Luke
Ben
Jaina
Fett

Oh, did I mention that Jacen actually tortured and killed Boba Fett's daughter? Yeah, he's a real sweet heart now. I swear, even if Jacen starts walking around with a "I killed Mara T-shirt", it would still take Luke and Co. two books to pin it on him. Ughh.

Charley
Jul 5th, 2007, 10:27:42 PM
Zahn's books are fun reads, but they don't really inspire a sense of wonder in me that I think SW stories should have.