PDA

View Full Version : How to stop a hurricane...

Saladin
May 29th, 2007, 02:35:57 PM
I think it's high time things in the X-Men RP escalated. Raz and I were discussing some big plot ideas, and I'd like to lay them out on the table for others to see and give feedback.

Right now, other than some simmering tension, there isn't much conflict going on, and none out in the open. The Brotherhood wants to force mutant concerns out into the open, but in a way that allows them to shape the public's fear in their favor. Saladin wants to create a new nation for mutants, and he wants humans to allow them to go freely. One way to do this is to create a tragic catastrophe - the result of a mutant who didn't get the proper care from human society and lost control, costing millions in damage and hundreds of lives. This will show, in Saladin's reasoning, that humans and mutants cannot safely co-exist.

In Antarctica, there is an ancient tropical wildlife preserve known as the Savage Lands, which was built by an alien race called the Nuwali and is sustained by their technology. Among the tech the Nuwali left behind is a device called the Gene Forge. This device can temporarily and exponentially enhance a mutant's abilities, but the resulting power is far too much for most mutants to handle, so it cannot be used lightly.

Enter Jacinda Blake, a girl who already caused significant damage to her high school gymnasium because she lost control of her wind-based powers. If exposed to the Gene Forge, she could potentially touch off a small hurricane - just the sort of catastrophe Saladin is looking for.

I see this storyline unfolding in three phases.

1. The Brotherhood kidnaps Jacinda - because Tess is becoming sympathetic to the Brotherhood, I was thinking she might lure Jacinda off-campus and into their waiting hands. She may or may not realize the gravity of what she's doing.

2. They take Jacinda to Antarctica and enter the Savage Lands. Neutron must use his abilities to jump-start the power systems there and may need to power the Gene Forge directly.

3. The Brotherhood leaves a sedated and super-powered Jacinda in a populated coastal area. When she wakes up, she finds her abilities are far beyond her control, and a massive storm quickly forms. But by now, the X-Men have discovered her location and race to her - and the city's - rescue.

This event will have massive repercussions. The teachers at Cullen's will need to step up their training program and probably let in the older students on the X-Men. The Brotherhood will proceed with their plans of building a separate mutant nation in the Savage Lands. And the fringe elements of the human government who want to crack down on mutants will have more of a platform to do so. Say hello to forced registration, mutant DNA scanners, and, eventually Sentinels!

Any ideas for peripheral threads, additional plot elements, or other suggestions are welcome! :)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 29th, 2007, 05:00:14 PM
I love this idea!

And... that's all I have to contribute at the moment. :) Not sure where Vigilante would fit in but I'm open to just about anything. :)

Francoise Dupont
May 29th, 2007, 06:43:36 PM
;; has 'Wizard of Oz' style dream-vision ;;

oh dear... :uhoh

Razielle Alastor
May 29th, 2007, 08:39:34 PM
I'll get you, my pretty...

Sorry I couldn't resist. :lol

Locksmith
May 29th, 2007, 09:03:11 PM
Well, I'm now able to be back from a long period away. If it's possible for my John to catch back up, I'd be in, if things are too involved now, I'll understand.

Dragon
May 29th, 2007, 09:18:36 PM
:)

I don't think that'll be a problem at all!

Neutron
May 29th, 2007, 09:37:46 PM
I am soooo behind on this, but I am really excited to leap back in.

Razielle Alastor
May 30th, 2007, 07:12:54 AM
Yeah none of this is going to work if we don't commence with retrieving our jail bird. We have to go pop Neutron first, obviously. I don't think Spectre is up yet in posting order but I have no problem disregarding it! :p

Saladin
May 30th, 2007, 02:27:32 PM
That's fine, Genie really needs to get moving again. I'll post soon, and during this next cycle we should be able to get Neutron out of his cell just in time for the X-Men and Brotherhood to collide in the middle of the toxic waste warehouse. :)

I've also posted a thread set in the Brotherhood HQ, which is a secluded mansion with Bat-Cave-type facilities underneath. This is mainly just to give the Brotherhood characters a chance to putter around a little, bounce off each other, do some character development - basically an "Autumn in New York" thread for the bad guys. Saladin's working on The Evil Plot, so you can join him if you want, or you can just hang out... play Tron's video games... practice sparring downstairs... feed the cat...

Tess Abrahams
Jun 4th, 2007, 03:38:24 AM
Tess is so ready to lead Jacinda astray. Come away from the primrose path, dahling. :evil

Lazarus
Jun 4th, 2007, 11:16:52 PM
If at all possible I'd like to have Laz here involved as well - I need a good way to get him more directly involved in all the mutant-going ons.

Spectre
Mar 6th, 2008, 11:37:25 AM
-bump-

Boss, we still on this one? >D

RiffWrath
Mar 6th, 2008, 11:52:07 AM
Well, I would love to have Damien and RiffWrath involved....once things get going, that is....:)

Flux
Mar 6th, 2008, 12:31:34 PM
I have no idea how Felix could get involved in something this huge without joining up with one of the factions involved (which is in the process, but it's SLOW), other than to flip out at point where the hurricane goes nuts, or brace for death in a silly manner, such as play air guitar while singing Rock You Like A Hurricane at the top of his lungs. Maybe he'd have enough control on his powers to make giant barriers out of magnetized metal to keep himself safe...but I feel like that's the sort of thing he'd need formal training for.

Saladin
Mar 6th, 2008, 01:05:24 PM
-bump-

Boss, we still on this one? >D

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really want to be. :)

Main thing is that the story depends on Tess. I've replied to A Place to Call Home (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16415), but I was also thinking we could go ahead with the next phase - Tess leading Jacinda astray - if she's ready. I'll send her a PM. :)

Possible timing issue, though... "London's Burning," presumably the first time the Brotherhood has gone public in a terrorist capacity, is set in March of 2008. I'd tend to think it's likely activist-minded Tess would be put off by things like dirty bombs and the kidnapping of politicians, so this probably needs to take place before then.

Jacinda Blake
Mar 6th, 2008, 03:12:04 PM
I'm all for waiting on Tess. :D

John Anthony
Mar 6th, 2008, 08:50:05 PM
I've got an idea:

Use me with Tempest and create a Crushing Hurricane! Make everything go splody!

Or use a different plan on me and put me somewhere with lots of Mutants after the Gene Force has been used on me. Make everything go CRUNCH!

Tess Abrahams
Mar 8th, 2008, 11:14:01 PM
Posted. Apologies, it reads rough; I haven't been in Tess' head for a while. :(

Dragon
Mar 9th, 2008, 10:56:30 PM
No problem! Glad to see you back! :glomp

I think there's definitely room for more people to be involved - we're also working on a side plot involving Jacinda's younger sister Lucy (Undine), who's going to eventually need some guidance in the ways of mutantcy.

Anja Drake
Mar 10th, 2008, 12:12:30 AM
...I read all this and all I can think is...poor Jacinda.

I'll miss her bubbly ways! ;)

RiffWrath
Mar 10th, 2008, 08:20:17 AM
Don't worry, she'll still be bubbly....in just an evil, corrupt sort of way.

And upon having heard about the Gene Forge, I just might have plans to get Damien zapped on accident, you know, just to see what other latent abilities might awaken.....:lol

Spectre
Mar 10th, 2008, 09:31:07 AM
Oh, Little-Miss Jacinda, will be back to herself in no time, I'm sure...:rolleyes

besides she's too good, something rancid has to happen to her.. LOL:D

Tess Abrahams
Mar 13th, 2008, 10:10:04 PM
Will she hate me forever? :(

Jacinda Blake
Mar 13th, 2008, 10:20:08 PM
Forever and ever! :twak

Duh.. of course not! :glomp

Dragon
Mar 14th, 2008, 08:23:52 AM
But, ooooh, you're gonna get so much detention! :shakefist

Tess Abrahams
Mar 14th, 2008, 07:07:51 PM
Pffffft, all the fun people are in detention anyway. :rolleyes

Damien E. Dervish
Mar 15th, 2008, 01:27:16 PM
I second that, though you unfortunately have a bad tendency to rub elbows with absolute psychopaths instead of decently-mannered, well-intentioned but mischievous individuals.... :)