PDA

View Full Version : Conan the Cimmerian

Aurelias Kazaar
May 29th, 2007, 12:50:46 AM
Hey has anyone here read the Conan books by Robert E. Howard (or Dark Horse's comic book adaptions)?

I was curious what you guys thought of them.

Yog
May 29th, 2007, 01:31:53 AM
I have read lots of the comic book adaptions, Dark Horse and marvel (Dark Horse are better). I really enjoy those stories. Lots of dark, fascinating characters and excotic places. The Hyborian universe is huge and rich in culture and history, much like Tolkien's world. Conan himself is pretty simple as a character. He is one who believes every man form his own fate through strength and courage, the survival of the fittest. He has no qualms of slaying his enemies if he feel betrayed or pushed. The stories are pretty basic in their premise, for example, some shady character offers him a bag of gold to perform his dirty deeds, and this sets off a series of events that entangles in him in a world of trouble and adventure. It's the way these stories are told that makes them so appealing every time. The more you read these, the more you get absorbed and want to read more.

I mean to read some of the books this summer, when I get to it, cause they are supposed to be really good. You can read them online (legally) btw, under Robert Ervin HOWARD:
http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m.html#letterH

Aurelias Kazaar
May 29th, 2007, 02:56:07 AM
Hey simplicity is never a bad thing. I really like Cary Nord's work on the Dark Horse comic, plus Busiek (and Tim Truman's) writing.

Hopefully Dark Horse can keep the strong comics going.