PDA

View Full Version : Vinculum Site Proprosed Layout

Lilaena De'Ville
May 23rd, 2007, 03:23:28 PM
Keep in mind this is what I scribbled on a notepad last night just before midnight - certainly up for discussion and I am hoping for one. :) All the names of the different pages are certianly not written in stone.

Main Page
links to:
About
Inclusion
Awards and Listings
Vinculum Awards

The main page holds our 'blurbs' - the short description of each board, link to each, and rating, etc.

AboutThis page houses the mission statement of the Alliance, the definition of Viniculum, etc.

vin·cu·lum /ˈvɪŋhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngkyəhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngləm/ Pronunciation Key (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/) - Show Spelled Pronunciation (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/)[ving-kyuh-luhhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngm] <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dn" valign="top">1.</td><td valign="top">a bond signifying union or unity; tie. </td></tr></tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dn" valign="top">2.</td><td valign="top">Mathematics. a stroke or brace drawn over a quantity consisting of several members or terms, as http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/333333/i/vincab.png, in order to show that they are to be considered together.</td></tr></tbody></table>

InclusionThis page gives the criteria for inclusion, and the circumstances under which the Viniculum would accept new members. I imagine "unanimous decision" will be in there somewhere. I would like to leave it open enough that if another group wants to they can apply for membership, but the members of the alliance would have to agree completely to admit them before such action would be taken.

Awards and Listings
Just a thought - perhaps a listing/link to other sites which list our boards, or awards that they have received from other sites.

Vinculum Awards
This is something I came up with last night sort of spur of the moment. I think that every year we could have roleplay/roleplayer awards given out on each board from members of the other boards. So Sw-Fans' awards would be nominated and voted on by the members of Epics, Evo, and RPG, and so forth. Each site would take responsibility for gathering nominations and votes from the other sites (via email would be the easiest way, I imagine, with one person from each board taking responsibility). So Sw-Fans would keep track of the noms and votes for Evo from Epics, RPG and 'Fans, for example.

Each email nomination would have to be signed by screen/character name and identify which board the member RPs at, just to keep it as straightforward as possible without expecting someone from Epics to know the names of all the members at Evolutions, for instance.

These awards would help facilitate cross-pollination between the member sites, encouraging our members to lurk and read at the others, and vice versa. Even participate, should they wish. :)

I tried to think up some of the categories for the Awards, but only came up with the simplest. I don't think you can get to specific with these, as that might be asking a little much from the members of the other boards. Roleplay of the Year, Character of the Year, Best Chemistry/Duo... I'm sure someone else has ideas. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 23rd, 2007, 05:35:52 PM
http://swf-agglomeration.net/vinculum/main.htm

My testing ground. As s'Ilancy's server went down I don't have the images to work with so this is very rough, just a guestimate and something to keep my hands busy at the moment.

Samantha Koortyn
May 23rd, 2007, 07:29:36 PM
This looks good and I like the name. I wonder if maybe it should have a Star Wars tie though? Unless we're letting in more than SW roleplays.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 23rd, 2007, 08:25:23 PM
Well we could call it the Star Wars Vinculum. Or the Roleplaying Vinculum. Or the Star Wars Roleplaying Vinculum.

I'm open to allowing other Rping sites in other than simply Star Wars, but it might be better to stick with our roots.

Edit: Aaaand, got the imagery up. *cracks knuckles*

Samantha Koortyn
May 24th, 2007, 06:48:37 AM
Ooh looks nice now. :]

Dasquian Belargic
May 24th, 2007, 06:57:05 AM
We don't limit ourselves to RPing Star Wars here, so I'm all for opening the site to non-SW sites.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 24th, 2007, 10:18:03 AM
It looks so pretty *sniffle* :D

Lilaena De'Ville
May 24th, 2007, 04:54:55 PM
Just needs more content. :)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 25th, 2007, 05:15:35 PM
I had a thought about the empty areas on the side of the layout.

What if we put a few thumbnails that showcased the work of some of the artists of each board? They could be fixed, or set to rotate.

Of course, if people think that would clutter up everything I understand if no one wants to do it. Personally I want this portal to be very clean as compared to a lot of other portals for websites that I've seen before, but I do think we could make the thumbnails crisp enough for it to work.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 25th, 2007, 05:19:20 PM
I think Morgan had some ideas on how to make your design stretch out to the sides more, actually. But if we wanted to we could certainly have a page in there dedicated to art/photoshoppery.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 25th, 2007, 05:23:44 PM
Well, just let me know and I'll tinker with the top half to make it more conducive to horizontal stretching.

And a page that showcases each site's artists might be a better variation. Maybe have the members vote on what gets put up? Or a 'featured artist' even?

Morgan Evanar
May 25th, 2007, 08:48:24 PM
Make the middle a little more flexible and I'll be able to make the page scale easily.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 25th, 2007, 09:32:18 PM
Is this any better?

Samantha Koortyn
May 27th, 2007, 03:00:10 PM
I like the way the sides look and if the graphics were flexible, the sides could stretch to the edges based on everyone's monitor settings, couldn't it? I'm not sure putting things outside that border would look right.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 27th, 2007, 05:50:19 PM
Yes, if we can get it to stretch horizontally then there wouldn't be space on the sides, persay.

Rhiara DLoroc
May 29th, 2007, 02:24:00 PM
This looks really great :)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 29th, 2007, 04:38:36 PM
We need descriptions from Evolutions, swRPG, and Epics for the front page. :)

Rhiara DLoroc
May 31st, 2007, 12:14:05 AM
Will get to work on that :)

Samantha Koortyn
Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:07:13 PM
Edited, oops, will add again later

Corran Antilles
Jun 15th, 2007, 05:38:24 PM
Hello.

It looks not bad. But I have some questions. Maybe they have been asked before, but I'm new here, so be gentle and don't bite me ;)

1. What will be the order of the links? Alphabetically? Or random? Or is somebody deciding which board is "most important", "the biggest" etc., so that it deserves to be on top?

2. The awards are no bad ideas in general, but wouldn't that mean that we have to read all sites and all posts to do justice to them? I don't think that we can expect that from our members. For example I personally work full-time and I'm glad when I get all posts on my own site read and written in my free time in evening. And I know that a lot of members would have the same problem. I'm also afraid that it will become only a vote because of sympathies and not because of the quality of that site.

3. What will be the criterions for other sites to join that list too?

So... done for now.

Samantha Koortyn
Jun 15th, 2007, 05:52:59 PM
I agree with #2 - I'm afraid it would become a popular vote rather than a quality vote. Whoever's site has the most voters, etc.

Also I am curious about the other questions. :]

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 15th, 2007, 06:07:03 PM
Well I don't have the answers, thats something we'll have to decide together, and why this forum is here. :)

The award idea was just something I thought up to get our members reading at the other boards. And each site would get one of each award, as decided by the three other sites' members. So it wouldn't be a popular vote, persay. But as I said, it was just an idea and I submitted it here for discussion.