PDA

View Full Version : The Cinder Step

Tess Abrahams
May 21st, 2007, 04:29:51 AM
There was peace in running. A rhythm that demanded unity and expelled all unnecessary thoughts. It was true that it became an addiction after a time; there grew to be a physical pull that longed for the patterned fall of footsteps, of breath indrawn. Tess Abrahams had begun running six years ago, when she'd signed up for a community gymnastics class. At nine it had been a rather harried, limbs jostling wildly, shoelaces untied affair. Gradually it had grown into a morning ritual as indispensable as breakfast.

When the teenager had first stepped foot in New York, she thought she would die. The cramped, crowded, noisy streets were a far cry from the open wilderness of Oregon and Tess knew she would not be able to find the same solace in the sport on pavement as she had on pine needles. That was before she'd seen the Institute.

Cullens had, simply, beautiful grounds. The lawn was a blanket of thick, healthy grass that was artfully adorned with clusters of trees and fountains. There were flowers neatly planted by the buildings, but it was at the North end of the grounds that Tess found particularly soothing; it was tamed untamed forest, thin enough to prevent hiding but thick enough to get lost in. It was her chosen track and nearly every morning the girl could be seen loping down at an easy pace.

Today had been no different, and Tess was enjoying the warm post-run rush as she walked into the lobby, red-faced and panting. Her long brown hair, cut simply and dead strait, was pulled back at the moment but the tiny flyaways that framed her face had gotten plastered against her forhead with sweat. The girl wiped at her face with one jerseyed arm and waved to a passing classmate.

"Nice outfit." It was the self-righteous tone that made Tess turn to search out the source of the comment. She found it, black miniskirt and all. Ashley Cornish was in the same English class as Tess, and that was where their similarities ended. Blonde, blue-eyed, and all confidence, Ashley had taken an immediate dislike to Tess, apparently on the grounds that she was, to quote, 'an absolute social disaster.' "Is the butch look in?"

Tess smiled sweetly and took a few steps closer to Ashley, glad that she reeked of perspiration just for the look it put on the other girl's face. She disliked Ashley because Ashley disliked her. "Actually the hooker look is big right now," She admired the girl's skirt and tank top. "But you have the monopoly on that one, Ash."

Ashley rolled her eyes, the lids of which were positively bending under a heavy layer of glittery shadow. "Whatever."

"Did you get all tarted up just so you could come down here and meet me on my way to the showers?" Tess scrunched up her face. "Because that's a) really pathetic and b) kind of creepy." A couple of younger students had just come downstairs and paused, eyes flitting from Ashley to Tess, before they quietly and wisely skirted the older kids.

Ashley balked and placed a manicured hand on her hip. "No. I was looking for you because we--Anna, Emmy, and I--have decided to help you reign in this nature-girl look you've got going and make you somewhat respectable."

Tess almost laughed out loud at the thought of Ashley making her look respectable. She shook her head and walked backwards, shoving her hands into the pockets of her track pants. "Thanks for the offer Ashley, but I think I'd rather take my chances. I'd much rather rally for orphans in Rwanda on a Friday night than display myself so I can suck face with a guy." Again with the sweet smile. "You might want to change before one of the professors sees you, that top doesn't exactly fit the dress code."

"God, Tess." Ashley flicked her hair off her shoulder and sighed dramatically. "We're all mutants here, but you really are a freak." With that she stomped back up the stairs, no doubt to wash her face and cover up before class. Tess watched her retreating back until it turned the corner and then she sighed softly, padding down the hall and into the computer lab.

The exhilerated feeling from the run had dissapeared now, replaced by a dismayed mood. Ashley was just one girl, Tess knew, but she was the sort whose comments ought not to matter but always did. "Sticks and stones." she reminded herself, plopping into a chair and logging onto a computer.

While she waited for the desktop to appear, Tess let her thoughts wander back to the trip into the city a few days ago. A group of fellow students and herself had intended to go to an environmental hearing and a ball game, and instead wound up in the thick of a genuine riot. There had been a man there, a speaker before all the fuss broke out, talking about a uniting of mutants. His turn of phrase had been curious, and Tess had to admit it was a very interesting idea. Of course, it meant that she and Ashley would have to get it together. "Fat chance of that happening."

Within a few moments Tess had accessed her email account and smiled at the sight of a little envelope bearing her mother's addy. There were a few letters advertising that the love of her life was waiting for her at Matequest.com, and another few sounded so filthy she deleted them immedietely.

Tess was about to open the letter from her mother when she noticed a curious item in her inbox.

Remember the Park? read the subject heading. Tess moved the cursor over it and hesitated; what if it was a virus? It seemed a little coincidental but...

With a quick plea to the technology gods, Tess clicked the message open. She was surprised to see her name.

Tess,

You had questions, and the Brotherhood has answers. Unfortunately circumstance did not allow the bringing of the two together last time, but that can be remedied. Come to The Haven tonight at six o'clock. It's probably best to use discretion--certain authorities at the Institute don't encourage exploration.

It was signed with an address, which Tess quickly wrote onto her hand with a pen laying beside the computer. She reread the email again, and got halfway through it when the entire thing suddenly faded into an advertisment for a six day, seven night cruise around the Jamaican Islands--only $ 499, for a limited time.

"Those things are a scam, Ms. Abrahams, and you are going to be late." Tess jumped and turned to see Mrs. Brenner, the monitor, smiling down at her. She nodded and hastily signed off.

"Yeah, you're probably right." Tess glanced at the now dark screen. "But I thought I'd take a look."

It was five-thirty and she was ten minutes from her destination. The bus was crowded with people, most cranky, and Tess had been forced to stand. It was just as well, since she had enough nervous energy to render sitting inconceivable. The last time she'd left the school without permission, it had been in the middle of the day and it had turned out disasterous. This time she was certain to get back well after curfew, which would mean trying to sneak onto the grounds and back into the dorms. Which was impossible. Which meant she'd be caught. Which meant trouble.

Which all meant that this had better be worth it.

The Brotherhood
May 21st, 2007, 09:12:24 AM
"You still sure about this?"

Jason McIntosh gave his huge companion a withering look as only a teenager could. "Will you stop asking that? Look, Saladin sent us here to keep an eye out for recruits. I'm recruiting!"

Noah Makaha leaned on the table, causing it to sag a good inch and a half in his direction. The only way he could even fit in the booth was to push the bench so far back it was pressed up against the table behind him.

"But this is one of those X-brats," the Samoan mutant complained. "For all you know, she's got orders to spy on us."

Jason shook his head. "That ain't Daniels's style. His kids don't even know about the X-Freaks, remember?"

"If you're wrong about this, the Boss is gonna have you for lunch. And he'll roast me, too, for not stoppin' you."

"I'm not wrong." Jason lifted the wireless card sitting naked in his hand. "I've looked up this girl's web history. World Wildlife, Greenpeace, PETA - she's a bleeding-heart, hippy, activist junkie. Trust me. She's gonna eat this stuff up."

Noah gave a rumbling sigh that blew Jason's hair down into his face. "Just... don't say more than you have to."

"She's coming here to talk, not play twenty questions." Jason blinked and waved the hair out of his eyes. "According to the atomic clock in Denver, it's almost time. You'd better make yourself scarce. Wouldn't want to scare the kid away."

Noah grumbled and hefted up to his feet, leaving Jason alone at the booth.

Tess Abrahams
May 21st, 2007, 12:20:14 PM
With a groan and a rattling lurch, the bus lumbered on to it's next stop, leaving Tess in a cloud of exhaust. The girl coughed--probably with a little more fervor than was neccessary--and began to hastily try and catch her bearings. She was not very good at navigating the tiered city streets, and it showed in the aimless way she walked along the sidewalk.

"Excuse me, hey, do you know where this is?" Tess held out a piece of paper with the given address to a passing pedestrian. The man recoiled, as if she'd held a gun out, and pushed past her without so much as a glance. Tess sighed and stuffed the paper back into the pocket of her jeans. Someone was playing hip-hop farther down the street, and the strains mixed with the screech of a car alarm into a common New York tune. The teen looked down at her wristwatch.

5:53

Tess took a deep, calming breath and continued on her slow walk down the pavement, scrutinizing each and every building with reigned frustration. "Well," the girl sighed, zipping up her sweater as a homeless man eyed her appreciatively, "At least I'm on the right street."

The Brotherhood
May 21st, 2007, 12:46:35 PM
Tess's cell phone rang. The voice on the other end was coy and young-sounding. "Hey, nature girl. Two blocks dead ahead on your right. Tell the bouncers out front you're a friend of Tron. I'll be in the corner booth on the far side of the bar. Ciao."

Tess Abrahams
May 21st, 2007, 01:19:39 PM
"The bar?" Tess said incredulously, although the voice on the other end had already hung up. With a disbelieving shake of her head, Tess quickened her pace, all the while feeling more unnerved about the whole romp. It was one thing to get an anonymous email, but a phone call to her cell was incredibly creepy. Like something from a spy movie.

It was the work of a few minutes to span two blocks and, as the caller had said, there were a pair of giants outside the club. The men were nearly identicle, shaved heads and incredibly thick arms that were bursting out of tight black t-shirts. Both wore sunglasses and were engaged in a whispered conversation when Tess timidly approached.

"Um, hi." The men stopped, crossing their arms over their chests as they looked down at the slight girl with inscrutable expressions. Tess bit her lip. "Um, I'm a friend of Tron's."

It was like magic. The bouncers parted like a Biblical sea to allow her to pass between them, even holding the door of the place open. Tess hesitated. "I'm not twenty-one, you know." The bouncers did not seem interested in this, and they only stared at her from behind dark lenses. It seemed best not to press the issue and so the teenager gave a quick two-fingered salute and hurried into the club.

There was a bit of a crowd, and under the hustle of conversation a techno-infused chart topper was playing. A man and his girlfriend (at least she hoped it was his girlfriend) pushed pass Tess, grinding against one another with beers held aloft. Tess grimaced; this was so not her thing. Quickly the girl pressed across the room, making her way to the back.

It was easy to spot Tron. He was alone, in a booth, and he was grinning at her with a cocky expression. It was hard to discern how old he was exactly, but it was safe to bet it was a stones throw away from her own age. Tess crossed over and sat down opposite. "How did you get my cell number?"

The Brotherhood
May 21st, 2007, 01:34:06 PM
He was a rangy teen with permanently tousled mouse-brown hair, a beaten ball cap, and a fake leather jacket that seemed to have been broken in by dropping it on the George Washington Bridge at 4:00.

Tron grinned and tapped a piece of electronics in his left hand. "I have a gift for that sort of thing. What's your name?"

Tess Abrahams
May 22nd, 2007, 01:52:36 AM
"Tess." Tess answered. She began tapping her fingertops on the table, unaware that she was doing it. "So the email said something about answers."

The Brotherhood
May 22nd, 2007, 08:03:32 AM
The boy smirked. "Tess? No, that's the name your parents gave you. Don't you have one of your own?"

He turned the wireless transceiver over in his hand, and the input/output lights blinked furiously.

"You think they called me Tron when they baptized me?"

Tess Abrahams
May 22nd, 2007, 12:26:01 PM
It seemed like a familiar routine for 'Tron', like he'd said the words before to others. The disdain in his voice had absolutely the right pitch; if she'd been a different kind of girl, Tess might have actually felt embarressed about her legal title.

But he was right.

At the time it had been a taunt from her teammates, a way of making their unnease at her ability settle. That's not normal, they'd whispered in knots while Tess was running through her beam routine, body held in unnatural forms. Maybe she's from the circus. That Cirque du Soleil thing, and when she won at a meet, the faces had twisted. Yeah, Cirque du Freak, maybe.

When Coach had taken her into the office to discuss the spirit of mutiny that had developed among the gymnasts, and how to resolve it (the feeling of holding back tears at the prospect of being kicked out, again) Tess had taken the name with her.

"...Cirque." She said lowly, averting her eyes from the boy. "But I go by Tess."

The Brotherhood
May 23rd, 2007, 07:16:58 AM
Tron shrugged. "Suit yourself. So, you wanted to know more about protest you saw last week. Where do you want to start?"

Tess Abrahams
May 23rd, 2007, 07:34:03 AM
"Who was he?" There was no question as to who she meant. The strikingly persuasive speaker had occupied the teenager's thoughts almost as much as his words. It was fascinating, the draw the man had over a crowd. Tess had gotten caught up in it too, and their brief encounter had cemented her interest.

The Brotherhood
May 23rd, 2007, 10:01:01 AM
The boy grinned broadly. Her curiosity was written all over her face.

"His name is Saladin. He's from Europe, though I haven't found out quite where. He doesn't talk about his past much, but when he says he's seen the sorts of things humans can do to mutants - he's serious. Things he didn't even mention at the rally because, if the people responsible knew that he knew about them, he wouldn't be able to show his face in public."

He leaned forward over the table, bringing his voice down to a confidential murmur. "You should also know that, if he'd wanted to, he could have wasted those riot cops without breaking a sweat."

Tess Abrahams
May 23rd, 2007, 02:16:33 PM
There was a muted, thoughtful pause. The man, Saladin, had given a brief display of power at the park (a memory of green flash, crackling energy, and a parting crowd) so Tess certainly didn't question the truth behind Tron's whispered statement.

But there was a niggling feeling at the back of her mind. Raised in a family of activists, Tess was no stranger to unearthing corruption and indecency. There were various scandals in progress at that very moment; forests being harvested, animals being destroyed, genocides in other countries. It was public knowledge.

Except that Tess had never heard of any mutant holocaust. An odd report on the six o'clock news of a random brutality, certainly, but those happened to all sorts of people. The girl found it a little hard to believe that there was a war brewing.

"Can he prove what he said?"

The Brotherhood
May 23rd, 2007, 02:33:17 PM
"Tell me where you last got your blood drawn, and I can probably hack in and download your genetic profile," Tron replied. "Oh, it doesn't mean they know everything about you, but they know you're a mutant, and they're keeping their eyes on you. As for the prison camps..." He leaned even closer. "I was on a team that broke someone out a couple weeks ago. Illegal prisoner. He was in a cell a half-mile underground, in Nevada. And that's more than I'm supposed to tell anyone on the outside, so keep it to yourself."

Tess Abrahams
May 23rd, 2007, 02:39:47 PM
"I go to a school where there are a lot of mutants." Tess knew he already knew that. "If that's true why haven't we heard anything about it?"

The Brotherhood
May 23rd, 2007, 02:48:35 PM
"You ever stopped to think that maybe your teachers aren't telling you the whole truth?" Tron tilted his head cheekily. "Their whole idea is, what - mutants and humans learning to live together in perfect harmony, and all that jazz. Well, what would it do to their lovely little dream if they had to tell all their students just how dirty the world is? Humans are terrified that mutants are going to take over. They'll do anything to stop it. Your teachers think you're better off not knowing. What do you think?"

Tess Abrahams
May 23rd, 2007, 02:54:10 PM
Automatic outrage began to flare in Tess' chest; she had always been quick to jump on even the smallest percieved injustice. "I think ignorance makes us bigger targets!"

The girl shook her head, not yet willing to condemn the Institute or it's staff. "That's not something that ought be kept quiet; they must have a good reason. The professors wouldn't do anything that would keep us in danger but..."

The Brotherhood
May 23rd, 2007, 03:22:23 PM
Tron held up a hand. "I'm not trying to tell you they're gonna be coming for you in the night, or anything... The people behind this are keeping things quiet. But that won't last forever."

He took a deep breath, then spread his hands illustratively. "It's like this. There are two species competing for dominance on this planet: Homo sapiens and Homo superior. They've got the numbers. We've got the edge. Now, when the Neanderthals saw the first Cro Magnons, they weren't bright enough to see they were on the way out. Humans see us, and they see we just don't fit in their society. One way or another, this world's headed for the biggest revolution since the dinosaurs went extinct."

Tess Abrahams
May 23rd, 2007, 05:15:36 PM
"But surely there'll be some reason, eventually. I mean, humans and mutants aren't mutually exclusive. People will see that we aren't dangerous. They'll have to." Tess didn't like the undercurrent here, the one that she was treading just above, unwilling to plunge into.

The girl bit her lip. "I mean, it's not like they can get rid of us. Once they're educated they can't go on thinning out the population. It's uncivilized."

The Brotherhood
May 24th, 2007, 11:54:49 AM
"Oh, sure it's uncivilized," Tron replied. "Most of them, they'd rather do civilized things, like forcing all mutants to register with the government, experimenting on illegal genetic samples, researching drugs to suppress the X-gene... Heh, we're hotter than oil-drilling in Congress right now. But it's all the same story: they're normal. We're not. It's all over every paper, every news channel. At best, we're diseased. At worst, we're monsters. Mutants deserve better than that."

Tess Abrahams
May 29th, 2007, 12:21:35 AM
"...is that what the Brotherhood is all about?" Tess had Googled the name but had only come up with a mens church club that met downtown every second Friday. Definetely not the right crowd.

Her mind was made up before Tron answered. It had probably been made up at the riot. "Making sure mutants get what they deserve?"

The Brotherhood
May 29th, 2007, 08:00:17 AM
"More than that."

There was a gleam in his eyes as he leaned forward again.

"We're gonna ensure the destiny of the whole mutant race. We'll be making history."

Tess Abrahams
Jun 4th, 2007, 03:36:34 AM
She paused and in that pause heard a million small wisdoms that the elder Abrahams had passed on to their children, like choice morsels at a banquet. Don't be afraid to stand up to something wrong. Always choose your battles. A smart person always knows the reason why they fight, even if they have no cause. Don't trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you.

The last had come from her father, a mild man with a soft voice and unbendable morals. He had often repeated the adage, until it had become rote to his children, something they would finish for him with rolling eyes and dragging voices.

Only this time trouble (was this trouble?) really had found her. Tess nodded once, then again. "... Can I help?"

The Brotherhood
Jun 4th, 2007, 09:26:50 AM
Tron smiled winningly.

"Yeah," he said. "Yeah, I think you can. And if you're interested - I mean, really interested, I can pass the word on to Saladin. Maybe arrange a meeting for you at our safehouse. We'll keep in touch."

He paused a moment and glanced around just to make sure Geryon wasn't hanging around and eavesdropping.

"And if you want to do some research in the meantime... try looking up the name 'Hektor Vespasian' in the school records. 'Hektor' with a K, 'Vespasian' like the Roman emperor. I think you'll find something very interesting."