PDA

View Full Version : MLB 2007 Season

jjwr
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:54:48 PM
I hate Bonds, why do people keep pitching to him?

How about that Yankee's bullpen? They better get their rotation in order or they are going to burn out their bullpen just like the Sox did last year.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:53:10 PM
Yeah their rotation is a mess right now. Also I have to say the Sox have the best closer now. I take Papelon over Riveria in heart beat. Oh and I so hate Bonds. I hate saying this but I wish he get hurt again.

Nathanial K'cansce
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:10:18 PM
*Papelbon is a monster.

I haven't been keeping up with the season so much this year. :\ All I know is that A-Rod is off to a hot start, but for some reason I don't think he'll win the crowd over unless the Yanks win the World Series. Of course, he's more than likely opting out after the year.

CMJ
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:44:29 PM
Still way early to know much of anything.

jjwr
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:33:45 AM
Agreed, but the instant speculation is still fun.

A-Rod had 2 more homers last night, he is so playing his way out of NY right now, or at least into a monster extension. Could see, say a 5 yr 140-150M deal on the horizon for him? He will cool down but the way he's going I could see him posting a .320 - 65HR - 160RBI season

Jedieb
Apr 29th, 2007, 08:15:27 PM
WE SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crack

JMK
Apr 29th, 2007, 09:36:27 PM
The Yankees are still going to be right there with the Sox come September. They always find a way to put it all together, after they look completely out of it. And the Sox always always always refuse to put them away when they're up by 8-10 games. I'm sure this season will be no different. The Sox will build up a 12 game lead by the all-star break and watch it evaporate to 3 games with 2 weeks to play.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 29th, 2007, 09:58:30 PM
Well they will need to fix that pitching staff, plus that Bullpen is a mess. If they keep using 5 relief pictures a game their bullpen will be garbage by June.

CMJ
Apr 29th, 2007, 10:19:08 PM
Just two seasons ago the pinstripes started 11-19.

jjwr
Apr 30th, 2007, 06:55:52 AM
The big difference teh past few years was the pitching staff, they have I think 3 relievers who are very close to being on pace to break the record for most appearances. Their offense will keep them in but if they don't fix the pitching staff it will be awefully tough for them to stick around long term.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 30th, 2007, 05:18:37 PM
Just two seasons ago the pinstripes started 11-19.

I know that but I think their bullpen is being way overworked. I mean they have like 3 guys who have appeared in 15 games. That is defintely overworked. I think their bullpen will be used up come July and August and that will hurt them. I do think they will go on a run and their record will improve, I just think they overworked bullpen will cost them, either from making the playoffs or winning the divison.

jjwr
May 1st, 2007, 07:25:08 AM
The overworked bull-pen is what killed the Sox last year. They kept going into game after game and just got worn out and the Sox kept geting killed. If the Yanks don't slow down the bleeding the same thing will happen to them.

jjwr
May 2nd, 2007, 06:44:11 AM
And the Yankees saviour goes down with a hammy, if I was the Yanks brass I would be checking into those trainers and see what the deal is.

Jedi Master Carr
May 10th, 2007, 07:19:19 PM
It is shocking that the best team in Baseball are the Brewers. The Sox have the second best record after sweeping the Jays today. Not sure what impact Clemens will have the Yankees. The Yankees have so many problems one pitcher won't cure them.

JMK
May 10th, 2007, 08:26:08 PM
The Yankees are going to be right there with the Sox at the end of the year. They always find a way to get back in to it and the Sox always find a way to cool down just enough to lose the division. I expect this year to be no different. Clemens will help the Yankees for sure, but he's not *the* answer.

Jedi Master Carr
May 10th, 2007, 08:27:45 PM
I am surprised no Brewers talk :p It would be funny if they won the WS.

Jedi Master Carr
May 28th, 2007, 08:42:21 PM
Not much talk lately and since this last the Post. The Sox still have the best record and now have a 11.5 game lead over Baltimore. Yes the Yankees are 13.5 games back. They have lost 4 straight and got swept by the Angels and now lost to crappy Toronto. They are a mess right now. I don't know what Clemens can do for them.

JMK
May 28th, 2007, 09:05:41 PM
I'm sure the Yankees will make it interesting before the end of the season. They always do, no matter how far back they fall. It's still only 25-30% in to the season. The Sox usually have a stretch where they play sub-.500 for a long stretch, and the Yanks always take advantage of it. If they're still up by double digits at the All-Star break, I'll be happy. But now all of a sudden, despite all the money in that division, the AL East is the crappiest division in the league. Maybe the NL Central but at least they have the defending champs. Come to think of it, pretty much all of the divisions are mediocre. The NL East and AL Central are the only 2 with more than 1 team that can be called a "good" team.

Jedi Master Carr
May 28th, 2007, 09:16:30 PM
The AL East is terrible outside of Boston right now. That is part of the reason they have the best record. Although, they did look strong tonight against Cleveland. The indians and Angels have the next best two teams in the AL. You are right about most divisions there are lot of mediocre teams this year. I am not sure about the Yankees coming back. I expect them to go on a run, but I think they have a lot of problems that aren't going to be easy to fix. I actually think right now they will miss the playoffs. Their record right now is the worse since 95 and they were 16 games back at one point that season (they missed the playoffs). The Yankees have postponed this too long but they need to rebuild they have too many old and useless players on their team.

Hartus Kenobi
May 28th, 2007, 09:39:42 PM
Well, I'm a Yanks fan... Other than that I don't really want to talk about it :( :(

jjwr
May 29th, 2007, 08:42:19 AM
Don't write off the Sox record on the division too quickly, they've recently taken series against other first place clubs like the Tigers & Braves and are 1 up on the hot Indians. Historically they have had bad stretches before but when was the last time a Sox team had this kind of pitching staff? And this is with Beckett missing 2 starts and Lester still working his way back.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2007, 05:35:54 PM
They have a great staff that is the main reason they have the best record. I can't wait for Lester to get back.

JMK
May 29th, 2007, 07:22:36 PM
:LOL

Pettite just had home stolen on him!!!

:rollin

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2007, 08:26:43 PM
LOL and the Yankees are 14.5 back. If the Jays sweep them tomorrow I will be just laughing. What sucks for them are the Sox are red hot right now and can sweep the Indians tomorrow. Beckett looked great tonight.

Doc Milo
May 30th, 2007, 03:11:34 PM
The AL East is terrible outside of Boston right now. That is part of the reason they have the best record. Although, they did look strong tonight against Cleveland. The indians and Angels have the next best two teams in the AL. You are right about most divisions there are lot of mediocre teams this year. I am not sure about the Yankees coming back. I expect them to go on a run, but I think they have a lot of problems that aren't going to be easy to fix. I actually think right now they will miss the playoffs. Their record right now is the worse since 95 and they were 16 games back at one point that season (they missed the playoffs). The Yankees have postponed this too long but they need to rebuild they have too many old and useless players on their team.

Actually, in '95, the Yankees made the playoffs as the wild card, clinching it on the last day of the year against the Blue Jays. They lost to the Mariners in five games, going up two games to none and losing the last three games in Seattle. They actually were the wild card but had a better record than Seattle, the West Division Winner by like a half game

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2007, 04:54:52 PM
Actually, in '95, the Yankees made the playoffs as the wild card, clinching it on the last day of the year against the Blue Jays. They lost to the Mariners in five games, going up two games to none and losing the last three games in Seattle. They actually were the wild card but had a better record than Seattle, the West Division Winner by like a half game

You sure about that? I remember the Yankees missing the playoffs that year. I thought Seattle made the wild card and got blown away by some other team. I know Boston got beat by Cleveland who went on to the WS.

Doc Milo
May 30th, 2007, 06:55:59 PM
You sure about that? I remember the Yankees missing the playoffs that year. I thought Seattle made the wild card and got blown away by some other team. I know Boston got beat by Cleveland who went on to the WS.

I'm certain about it. 1995 was the first year of the Wild Card. Seattle played a one game playoff with California in order to determine the division winner because the Wild Card spot was already taken by the Yankees based on one of the tiebreakers. (Also, the season was shortened due to the strike of 1994 to 144 games.)

1994 was supposed to be the first year of the three division, wild card format. But the strike ended that.

The Yankees were leading the division in 1994 with a 70-43 record when the strike hit. Since 1995, they have made the playoffs in each year since then, winning the wild card in 1995 and 1997 and winning the division in 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006.

Interestingly, each year the Yankees won the Wild Card, they were eliminated in the Division Series.

http://www.shrpsports.com/mlb/stand/1995finaldiv.htm

JMK
Jun 14th, 2007, 09:56:10 PM
Yankees have cut the deficit in half in about a week. Anyone still want to write them off for the AL East title?

CMJ
Jun 14th, 2007, 09:59:23 PM
I never did.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 14th, 2007, 10:39:58 PM
I still don't think the Yankees are good enough to win the world series. That bullpen will be their downfall. I am not sure about Boston, personally I have a gut feeling this is going to be Cleveland's year.
Although I wouldn't rule out the Angels who probably have the best three man roatation in baseball.

JMK
Jun 15th, 2007, 11:07:15 AM
I don't think they're good enough either, I was asking if you think they'll catch, and pass the Sox and eventually win the AL east? ;) They were 15 games back not too long ago, and now they're pretty much in striking distance and on a huge roll. If the Yankees take the AL East, it will be bedlam in Boston. I don't care that there were 100 games left to make up that lead, blowing that sort of lead will cause some heads to roll. But we aren't there just yet.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 15th, 2007, 12:29:08 PM
I don't think they're good enough either, I was asking if you think they'll catch, and pass the Sox and eventually win the AL east? ;) They were 15 games back not too long ago, and now they're pretty much in striking distance and on a huge roll. If the Yankees take the AL East, it will be bedlam in Boston. I don't care that there were 100 games left to make up that lead, blowing that sort of lead will cause some heads to roll. But we aren't there just yet.

Well the Sox would have to blow it for them to catch them, it is possible, although I think Boston will get hot here soon and keep the lead up between 6-9 games.