PDA

View Full Version : One Big Happy (Mirko)

Janus
Apr 20th, 2007, 11:21:49 PM
It ain't hard to hitch a ride to Bespin (or wherever the frak) without creds. Slip a little stim (which is easier to come by than creds) into the pocket of a certain type a pilot and you got yourself a ride. I'm pretty sure that if Kajeela or Jonas Remkah found out how I manage to hitch, I mean, y'know, how I still do it, they'd disapprove. 'Coz I mean, you ain't supposed to deal stim if you're a new recruit at ICPD. Even if it's just a little. Like, a really little. A peck, even.

Anyway, I didn't have creds and I needed to get to Bespin 'coz I had business in Cloud City. And so I bartered. Worked like a charm.

I ain't never been to Bespin before, and I've spent a bit just talkin' to folk who'll talk, gettin' a feel for the place. It don't hold a candle to Coruscant, for a start. It's cleaner and almost sorta... stuck-up. My back sort of slouches a little more here, outta spite, and I can't figure out how he is managin' to enjoy himself out here.

It was already confusing enough but my mind really starts workin' overtime when I enter this little place, Cloud 9, as to what in the frell Mirko is doing. Here. Where it's like, just the tiniest bit respectable.

While I scan the busy place, lookin' for a sign of the guy, a droid skitters over and asks if I wanna drink. I order a brew and before I take a seat, halt the little thing. "Hey, your boss aroun'?"

Mirko Spendrim
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:05:09 PM
The question confused the droid, as was apparent by the numerous and varied beepings emanating from its system mainframe. The boss technically was Mu Satach - Cloud 9 was her baby. In her absence, however, was the new boss, Mirko Spendrim who - though in charge, was technically temporary. The droid's lightbulb eyes flashed and flickered - tantamount to a roving of the eyeballs back and forth as the mind behind the lights searched for the correct response.

Mirko saved the unit the trouble.

"Janus!"

The young man was swallowed up in an enthusiastic embrace that threatened to sweep him bodily from the chair.

"When did you arrive?" he said, smiling broadly at his nephew. Or half-nephew. Or was it second cousin on his sister's side....? Spendrim wasn't ever really quite sure, but the kid was related somehow.

Standing dapper in his tweed blazer and mismatched tie, the quirky proprietor of Cloud 9 soaked in the happy appearing of what he considered, family.

Janus
May 16th, 2007, 03:00:55 AM
I sorta awkwardly pat Mirko on the back. He's big on the hugging thing. There ain't to much hugging in the back alleys of home. "Hey, Uncle Mirko. Lookin'..." I eye his outfit and try not to cringe. "Uh, healthy. Really healthy."

The droid, satisfied that things are covered, buzzes off. It's been a long time since I saw Mirko, a couple years or something. He hasn't changed much. I pull out a crumpled pack of stims and stick one in my lips, letting it dangle while I search for my lighter. "So, hey, you look like you're doin' good, congrats." I mumble around the 'stim, patting my pockets. "How the frell'd you end up out here? Took me ages to track you down."

Mirko Spendrim
May 18th, 2007, 10:40:10 PM
Mirko plucked the stim from his nephew's lips and popped it into the young mans shirt pocket, patting it as if putting it to bed.

"Those things will kill you , you know. Soy -- thats what you need. Its wonderful for the skin. Look" and Mirko presented first the left, then the right, side of his face for Janus to appreciate his glowing complexion. "Huh? Nice huh"

Spendrim steered Janus over to a side booth and they both sat down, unnervingly in the self-same fashion as one another. Some things were just in the genes.

"You like the place?" Mirko said, his little eyes bright with pride. "Its a beauty, I know. I cant believe my luck. You want a drink? You should try my creation - The Satach Screamer - though, thats more a party-starter that one...packs a punch" he said, grinning. "Maybe one of the Off-world Ales, that might suit you better. What brings you to Cloud City?"

Janus
May 19th, 2007, 03:18:40 AM
I doubt that Mirko's idea of a punch and mine fit the same bill, so I order his concoction--mostly 'cause he seems to 'preciate stuff like that and, y'know, I ain't got any other family to speak of so why not enjoy it?

Of course it ain't, like, a for sure thing that Mirko's my uncle. It ain't even for sure that we're related. But he's kinda always been around, y'know, since I was just a tyke. I don't remember my parents ever being close by and Mirko ain't, like, ever really been real clear as to whether he draws ties with my pop or my mom--he's probably just as unsure--but he fills the shoes. And y'know what they say, 'bout the shoe fittin' and all.

"Yeah well, y'know, I heard you were out here doin' business. 'S'been a while since we chatted." I pull the stim out of my pocket, ducking his hand before he can snag it again (frak, Mirko's got some funny frellin' quirks) and light up. My lips pull into a triumphant grin at the first drag. "Figured we could celebrate your success and my... reform."

"You're lookin' at the newest ICPD recruit." I let out a breath of smoke. Just then the drinks arrive, mine a obnoxious shade of purple that ain't surprising somehow, considering who invented it. I eye the tall glass. "There's nothing weird in this, right? No soy or anythin'?"

Mirko Spendrim
May 21st, 2007, 03:04:44 PM
"Just take your time with it, thats all" Mirko warned. "Its one of those drinks you think you can just man up and down the whole thing, but about half-way something starts to creep up behind your eyes and before you know it, you got way more than you can handle."

Janus gave him a doubtful look, and Mirko shrugged. It was his brain that will pickle.

"Wait...did you say ICPD?"

Spendrim's eyes sparkled with excitement.

"How? When? Thats fantastic!"

Mirko stretched forward and grabbed Janus' shoulders, giving him a hearty congratulatory shake.

"The Imperial City Police Department...how wonderful! My nephew - one of the good guys. Saving the weak, protecting the .. er...weak. How does that speech go? Nevermind. Im so proud of you!"

Mirko lowered his voice, his enthusiasm evident by the way he twisted his fingers together - "Do you get to wear a uniform?"

Janus
May 22nd, 2007, 01:04:08 PM
"Kraast, I hope not." Just the thought makes me itch, and to compensate I give the boys a scratch in my loose, free trousers. "The guys back home would frellin' murder me if I gotta walk around like that." Mirko seems dissapointed, which I don't get. I raise an eyebrow and shrug. "Get a badge though, eventually."

Eventually meaning when Kajeelah and Jonas think I earned it and have truly put aside the old ways. So definetely not soon if they knew how I paid for this trip.

I take a slug of Mirko's drink, real suspicious like, but am pleasantly surprised; it's sort of tingly, in, like, a good way. "Hey," I lift the glass and nod at it with a wicked grin. I ain't one to get all sentimental or anythin', because, y'know, if you get all weepy in the Underground you don't last long. It's just a simple survival rule. But it is pretty frelling nice sitting here with Mirko, drinkin' and smokin' and shootin' the breeze. I won't even admit how awesome it feels to make someone proud. Like my chest's gonna explode, or something.

"Yeah, I got hauled in for possession, and Kajeelah offered it up instead of time. Weird, huh?" I take another swallow of the Screamer. "I mean, there's still, y'know, a bunch of tests or somethin' on junk like readin' but," And I don't finish that thought 'cause I ain't told anyone at the station that I read like a ton-ton's backside.

"Enough 'bout me though, how'd you finangle your way out here?"

Mirko Spendrim
Jun 1st, 2007, 06:23:39 PM
"Well, you remember the"(here Mirko lowered his voice to barely audible).."great escape from the Imps I had a while back" the volume picked up again, "After that, I was at a bit of a loss as to where to go" Mirko dusted off an imagined lintball from his lapel, "a lot of my <i>friends</i> weren't talkin to me, and who can blame them - you know how those nefarious types get jittery about the smallest things.. I landed in Cloud City for a brief sojurn - a bit of shopping maybe, visit some old canasta clubs - and this position came up, here at Cloud 9. The owner was absent for a time and I got to look after things in the meantime."

Mirko paused for a breath.

"Did you say Kajeela? As in, Detective Tarruurri?"

Patience Darklighter
Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:11:48 AM
Patience strode into the bar after a busy day in the "office". Of course, work was more akin to play than anything, so she was in positive spirits. Drawing her blazer tight (partly to conceal her shoulder blaster), she walked into the bar with a purposeful stride and kicked a stool out. Straddling it, she zipped a whistle through the air and held up three fingers before slapping them on the countertop.

"Bourbon, scotch, and beer."

The other hand slapped a chit on the counter with a blank denomination, a key signal that she was punching a tab.

Smitty
Jun 4th, 2007, 03:57:43 PM
Smitty saddled up to the bar next to Patience.

"Why hello there beautiful."

Patience Darklighter
Jun 4th, 2007, 11:03:27 PM
Patience laugh-snorted at the rap he tried to pin on her.

"That's cute, but you should save up lines like that until after you've bought me two or three."

Smitty
Jun 4th, 2007, 11:18:46 PM
"A smart man never buys until he knows the lady is open to a little friendly conversation." Smitty wiggled his eyebrows, hopped up on the bar, swung his legs over and jumped down on the other side.

"And a smarter man knows when it's appropriate to mooch off of his friends." He shoo'd a flustered low level bartender away. He rustled around a bit behind the bar then set down bottles of bourbon and scotch in front of Patience with two glasses. "And might I recomend the pilsener tonight? Word on the street is it just came in from core."

Janus
Jul 10th, 2007, 04:34:23 AM
"Well, you remember the"(here Mirko lowered his voice to barely audible).."great escape from the Imps I had a while back" the volume picked up again, "After that, I was at a bit of a loss as to where to go" Mirko dusted off an imagined lintball from his lapel, "a lot of my friends weren't talkin to me, and who can blame them - you know how those nefarious types get jittery about the smallest things.. I landed in Cloud City for a brief sojurn - a bit of shopping maybe, visit some old canasta clubs - and this position came up, here at Cloud 9. The owner was absent for a time and I got to look after things in the meantime."

Mirko paused for a breath.

"Did you say Kajeela? As in, Detective Tarruurri?"

"The very one." I nod, my face just as etched in surprise as his. For a second my head feels heavy, and I set the glass down; Mirko really wasn't kidding, this thing hits you like a brick wall.

My body takes over, pushing the drink off to the side for a rest. I almost want to like, blush or something, the way Mirko grins all-knowing 'cos it makes me feel like some kid. Some kid whose been caught out in a tough-guy lie. Instead I roll my eyes and give my head a smiling shake. "Yeah, yeah, round one to you."

Since the stim is nearly gone anyway, I move to stub it out on the tabletop. Only, my uncle gets this pained look on his face; this place really must be a big deal for him. The stim is sizzled out in my palm, which I spit on first. Ya gotta compromise, right?

Mirko really is lookin' good. And I really have missed him. When I was younger, I'd scamper out to see him and he'd tell me what trouble he was up to - except it'd be glamorous, he'd make it sound like a grand adventure. I bloody idolized the guy.

Not that I'd ever tell him.

"Yeah, I expected her to write me off. It was weird." I shrug. "Pretty cool though, right? There's this airhead guy called Remkah who's on some kind of trip." My face slips into a scowl. "Tryin' to show me he's the man and I'm just a punk newbie, or somethin'.

You ever hearda the guy?"

Mirko Spendrim
Jul 21st, 2007, 12:58:59 AM
"Yeah, yeah" Mirko warms up to the conversation as if he knows so much, "Rem and me are buds"

Janus gives him the look.

"Ok, well buds might not be the right word, but he had me over for dinner at his place once. Ok, well not dinner - I brought him a burger on my way over to pick him up, and then we left. But we chased this bad guy...er.." Mirko squinted his eyes shut as if that would help him remember the name better, "Gerb, or Gheb...some thing like that. Real mean bad guy..." Spendrim spaced off to a happy memory and left the story hanging.

"So...Kajeela huh" he smiled, back again., "She ever mention my name..?"

For all his prattling, Mirko registered the guy who had helped himself behind the bar. He would be sure to stop by his table later.

Janus
Jul 28th, 2007, 01:49:07 AM
My eyebrows raise in leery question. "No. She hasn't. Why?"

Oh if there's any mercy in the Galaxy, Mirko won't have any sort of 'thing' for Kajeela. Or her for him. And they won't be in constant contact either. Because the last thing I want is for my uncle to get it into his head to put in a good word for me. He means well, but before you know it Mirko'd be airing my dirty boxers all over the precinct without realizing it.

"Uncle Mirko, you can't check up on me or anything," I point an accusing finger at him, "I mean it. When, if, you talk to Kajeela or Remkah, I am off limits. No questions. No queries. No funny stories about when I was a kid. You gotta swear."

My finger stays out, hovering near his chest, in pointed waiting.

Mirko Spendrim
Jul 28th, 2007, 05:22:20 PM
The finger hadn't really been necessary, but Mirko's injured look said it all. He <i>had</i> been planning on putting in a "good word" with Tarruuri on his nephew's behalf, but Janus had been a step or more ahead of him.

"The robin-rescue story would have been alright" Spendrim said grudgingly. "I was very proud of you that day. That was a very tall tree you climbed and it was very windy. Hurricane force. Showed your true character that day, Janus"

Janus
Jul 28th, 2007, 11:48:29 PM
I can't really argue with that. It was a pretty big tree.

Of course, it'd been mine and Mirko's fault that the robin fell out it the first place, but whatever. Semantics.

"All the same." I lean back in the booth and stretch my arms out along the top, stretching with a groan of satisfaction. "So, hey. I got a few days off, I figured you and me could do something. For old times sake."

I grin widely, waggling my eyebrows in encouragement.

Mirko Spendrim
Jul 29th, 2007, 04:47:19 PM
Janus thought Mirko might cry, he was so touched.

"You can stay here, upstairs" Mirko said. "Theres a free room up there, nice little apartment. Mu wont mind. You'll be very comfortable and I can bring you breakfast in the morning. You still like those spud-cakes? I've improved the recipe, you know. A little paprika when you fry them, hmmm" he made 'smacking' noises with his lips.

"Did you have anything in particular you wanted to do, or see? Im sure I can take some time off. Molly - have you met her? Oh, she's lovely, an angel surely. Molly can cover for me"

Mirko clapped his hands together enthusiastically.

"This is wonderful!"

Janus
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:14:10 AM
I've never really wanted for a mother, but if I ever had all I'd need to do is go hang out at Mirko's place. I mean, who else would be excited about makin' me breakfast in bed? And let me tell you, if you ever want to taste a bit of heaven, you taste Spenny's Spectacular Spud-Cakes. Fanfrellingtastic.

"I figured we could take in a show or two, maybe see a slamball game - they got slamball out here? - I'll take you out for dinner, got my first paycheck," I sort of tap him with my sneaker under the table, real joking like; it's basically the foot version of a shoulder clap. It can also mean nudge-nudge, as in This Text Has Subtext. "Maybe see if there's anything interesting going on."

Mirko's brilliant at attracting interesting. As am I. Maybe it's a family trait.

Mirko Spendrim
Aug 5th, 2007, 03:36:59 PM
Mirko was sometimes a little slow on the draw. Perhaps that was why Aurelias Kazaar was always thumping him and grouching at him through his clenched cigar. Nah, that was just how Kazaar expressed himself..

It wasn't <i>his</i> fault that he didn't always pick up on the alternate meaning. And this was one of those time.

"What?" Mirko looked around the bar, much like a wamp rat popped up from his hole to check out the noon-day sun. "What did I miss?"

Janus was suddenly frowning at him.

"Whaat?"

Janus
Sep 11th, 2007, 03:14:26 AM
For an observant guy, sometimes Mirko is pretty frackin' blind. I give him a look of exasperated patience--raised eyebrows, wide-eyes, slack jaw--and take another sip of my drink.

The truth is, Coruscant was getting to be kinda confusing. I mean, okay, so I grew up there and had a pretty comfortable niche all carved out and all. It wasn't maybe the most honest life, but, y'know, who has that nowadays anyway, right? It worked, is the bottom line. Me'n the boys woke up every day, which is an accomplishment in 'n of itself in those neighborhoods.

So changing lanes all sudden like takes a bit of getting used to. I ain't moving up to the surface anytime soon and that poses something of a problem. Like, is knowing crap about scuzzballs and not doin' anything about it violating some, y'know, rule? What if the scuzzball is a friend? How about if maybe you help him out once in a while? I mean, it ain't easy to just stop dabblin' in the illegal puddles if they've been your pool for years.

A change of scenery to clear the mind, is exactly what I need. A place where I ain't gonna be recognized and where I can just ease up. Mirko, whether he means to or not, attracts a certain kind of character. The kind that don't much like attention. My kind of folk.

"I figure you'n me could do a grand tour, Mirko. We always seem to have adventures." And I got some 'cargo' that I want to get rid of before I go back home. "Who knows, maybe we'll come across some real action. Ma-aybe uncover somethin' that'll impress a certain Ciz."

That oughta hook 'im, even if it ain't exactly true.

Mirko Spendrim
Sep 29th, 2007, 09:45:12 PM
"Weeeell," Mirko drawlled pensively. He didnt want to steer Janus into anything nefarious, but he also didnt want his nephew to think him boring. "They have shock-boxing over at the Den, though noone will own to it if you ask. Its even rumored they get the occasional Nightmare special tactics guy there, just getting some kicks"

"Or" now that he thought of it, "There is high stakes Sabacc at the Regent"