PDA

View Full Version : Follow You Down

Kaast Dulli
Mar 25th, 2007, 11:42:24 PM
Kaast Dulli sat alone groggy in a dark corner booth at a strange bar on Corellia. It had been a rough couple of days. He had won about 12,000 credits betting on smash ball, got drunk celebrating. Lost all of his winning playing sabacc, got into a fight with a "tricky dealer," got drunk again and then the memories kind of trailed off until, ta-da here he was. If it wasn't for bad luck Kaast thought…..

Wobbly, he got up from the booth and made his way over to the bar. The bar was not very busy or nice for that matter. It was seedy, cold, dark and dingy. The walls were stained yellow from deathstick smoke and the floor was sticky with what Kaast hoped was spilled drinks. As bad as it was, Dulli had fallen asleep in worse places.

Looking at his reflection in the mirror that ran along the wall behind the bar, Dulli looked ragged and bloated. However he thought, he did not look bruised or battered, so he must have won the fight.

Kaast finally reached a stool at the bar and attempted to get the barkeep’s attention His efforts were however in vain as the bartender was engaged in a conversation with another customer. As he waited for the bartender, Kaast patted himself down looking for his pack of deathsticks. He found the pack, pulled one out and could not find his lighter. If it wasn’t for bad luck….

Kaast looked to his left and asked, “Hey, you gotta light?”

Sen Oisel
Mar 29th, 2007, 10:09:40 PM
Silence, an uncommon word for Sen. Although he wasn't always talkative, he expressed himself in far too many ways to be characterized as quite or quaint. Yet, times had changed and he had played the catalyst for such irregular behavior. A quick bash of the government demanded for a hush to anyone's tongue. People don't get away with yapping after anything goes down, so there was little room for words.

And, it seemed like even smaller room for choice. The bar was a run-down dump. The bustle remained, despite the appeal, but the stench ran deeper than expected. Deathsticks, smoke and a bundle of aliens mixed into a funk that was rare, even for a planet like Corellia.

It was uncommon for Sen. Very...strange.

Before the young man could give his place a decent eyebrow he was interrupted. Folks never seemed to notice him, leaving more room for surprise than choices. It seemed that it had become fashionable for Sen to be without much to say, and less to do.

"Nope--but...," he began. Sen nudged at an idea, and though his sense told him otherwise...

"I suggest you should stop smoking. Look you've done yourself in a bit already."

Kaast Dulli
Mar 31st, 2007, 10:25:28 PM
Dulli continued to pat himself down and stated simply,“ You are right friend I’ve done myself pretty hard lately, but after the past couple days I think I’ve earned it.” The lethargic bartender approached his two new patrons and noticed Kaast fumbling around. Smoothly the man revealed a lighter for the death stick hanging from Kaast dry chapped lip. Kaast thankfully uttered, “Thanks.”

Never one to bother a stranger with sob stories of money won and lost a now satisfied Dulli looked over the gentleman siting to his left and declared, “I’d expect to see a slob like me in this hole, but what’s a guy like you doing in a dump like this?”

Sen Oisel
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:28:23 PM
Sen almost smiled...almost.

Instead of a smile, his lips became a skewed showcase of teeth. A subtle display of gleam, shimmer and sparkle in a dirty run-down dump. There was no hiding the fact that he shouldn't be in such a place. He didn't smoke, didn't drink, and had no request. Always there was that different reason, unique motive, for being and people liked to listen.

At least sometimes...

So, the young ex-pilot humored him.

"Truth to be told, trouble got me here."

A rustle of junk, lint and credit chips jiggled in his pockets as his hands move. All the Oisel kids had a nervous habit or two; Sen only had a few. Every time a new face came into his life, he had this itch...a scratch in his pocket that he couldn't avoid pleasing. Seconds of a quick scratch, jiggle or interest gave it all the pleasure necessary, but it was always there.

It was absolutely annoying.

"Buckethead trouble. Black and white trouble. Imperial...trouble."

Sen smiled. The Empire was hated everywhere, he could talk about it. He was safe.

Kaast Dulli
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:42:57 PM
Kaast could tell that his bar mate was quite uncomfortable. He was very nervous, almost rubbing a hole in his pants with his constant fidgeting. Kaast took his counterpart’s mood into consideration before responding and said mischievously, “Empire trouble? A smooth guy like you is normally in trouble with the ladies or their husbands. Now that’s kind that’ll get you killed, or worse. Those empire types are almost fun compared to an angry husband.”

Silence fell over the two men. In the stillness, Dulli wondered what kind of Empire trouble this stranger stumbled into. He took a sip from his drink and said, “The name Dulli, Kaast Dulli, sometimes pilot, gun for hire, gambler and smuggler but always a good time.”

Sen Oisel
Apr 8th, 2007, 08:37:18 PM
"Sen Oisel."

A frown hid behind his smile as he reflected. Oisel was a title synynmous with the Empire at one time. Yet, like it always manages to do, times change and people change. Handles don't remain with the same conotation as slang builds around the languages and the standings shift. Once upon a time there was a brother, but in this time Oisel carried the name of a villian.

Sen had strung out against the damnation called government. The established held an authority that should have never been given by the people, and his art displayed such ideas vividly.

Too vividly.

"I'm a pilot, and...activist."

Pilot was a word forgotten. He rarely said it, Sen didn't like how it rolled on his tongue anymore. Instead of the smooth undertone that tingled at his spine, he responded to his voice with a subtle rattle. A slight shake that retold the story of how all had went wrong, but it was...ever so slight.

"The Empire doesn't like my kind. The strong believer...types. What about you, what trouble are you in?"

Kaast Dulli
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:39:04 PM
There are tortured souls all over the galaxy and Dulli knew that Sen Oisel was part of that congregation. It was written all over his face, Sen Oisel was a battered man but he still had his pride and resolve. The idea of boring this man with simple the problems of a gambler was an insult.

Attempting to deflect the question Dulli stated coolly, “Nothing I can’t handle.” He took another sip from his drink and continued, “I’ve seen all kinds of trouble from Imperials to Hutts and the one thing I’ve learned is the right amount of credits can make most of life’s problems disappear.”

Dulli placed his empty glass on the bar and asked innocently, ”I know this may sound strange but are you handy with a blaster?”

Sen Oisel
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:30:21 PM
Innocence had long died. Sen had delved in a tinker toy here and there, but he wasn't an absolute ace. All the perils that sped his way left him with little chance to avoid fire, much less avoid holding his ground.

Sen knew his way around a few things, and one was a blaster shop. People rarely surprised him, and despite the sudden change of subject he responded with little heed.

"Of course," he smiled. "Whatcha thinkin' about?"

Kaast Dulli
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:21:55 PM
Never one to reveal too much about his plans Kaast stated, “Well, I came to this rock to blow off a little steam before I had to get back to work. Earlier you said you were a pilot. I was curious if you were handy with a blaster because I could use another gun in case things got hairy. You interested?”

Sen Oisel
Apr 11th, 2007, 12:26:20 AM
Words betrayed thoughts all too often. Sen didn't care less, instinct spell this one out all too well. It was interesting how the establishment leaked into even human impulses, feeding off of horrible traits like...selfishness.

"How much does it pay?"

Greed checked another victim.

Kaast Dulli
Apr 11th, 2007, 05:25:42 PM
The response was quite surprising. Sen Oisel at first glace did not seem like the kind of man to chase credits throughout the galaxy. He appeared rather calm and level headed. Perhaps Dulli had underestimated him. A stunned Kaast responded, “I have to say great minds think alike. You didn’t bother to ask what the job was; you just wanted to know how much it pays. I like that. The money depends on the type of work. The more dangerous the job, the more money we’ll make. Sounds like something you’d be interested in?”

Artisn
Apr 14th, 2007, 01:43:07 PM
(Edit: Delete)

Sen Oisel
Apr 14th, 2007, 01:46:27 PM
"Yeah," Sen said, hesistantly.

A second thought paused his rush. The adrenaline deaded, and he worried. The risk was high, and strange--but he had done all this before. Running away from trouble became second nature. All the nuances of the prospective job seemed to be insignificant. At least for now...

"Yeah," he said again, more definate.

Kaast Dulli
Apr 15th, 2007, 03:32:40 PM
“Good, good,” a satisfied Kaast declared. Moving to an upright position for the first time in almost three days Kaast looked at his watch and said to his new co-pilot, “Ok, in thirty minutes, no better make it forty-five, met me and the space port in town. Hanger 1138. My ship, excuse me our ship, Black Love is waiting. Tell the attendant to fill it up and get her space worthy. I am going to go round up some supplies and get what’s left of my winnings from the local bookie. It’s good to have you on board Sen.” And with that Kaast raised his drink and made a toast, “Here’s to making some big credits.”

Dulli finished he drink and slammed it on to the bar. It was like someone had flipped his switch. The same man who was face down on a table in the corner of this dingy bar no less than two hours ago was now all business and ready to take on the galaxy. The degenerate drunk, gambler was gone like yesterday’s trash. A clear minded and refreshed Dulli reached into his jacket pocket, threw down his credits and looked back at his co-pilot, “Forty-five minutes, hanger 1138.”

And he was gone…

Kaast Dulli
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:24:35 PM
The Black Love was prepped and ready for take off. Dulli spent the better part of an hour loading coordinates into the nav-computer and tinkering with the hyperdrive. There was money to be made and Kaast didn’t waste valuable time on repairs. It was necessary maintenance but rather tedious. The work was finally over and Kaast decided to take a quick smoke break.

Never one to smoke on board, Dulli walked downs the ramp to enjoy a smoke. Gazing down at his watch Kaast said, “Man, were his this guy? He is almost thirty minutes late. I did tell him hanger 1138, didn’t I? I am pretty sure I did. At least when he gets here, if he gets here we’ll be ready for take off.”

Dulli finished his deathstick and eagerly awaited the arrival of his new co-pilot and business partner.

Sen Oisel
May 3rd, 2007, 09:24:00 PM
...He was gone.

Sen's face couldn't be found in a crowd, in a heap, or a bar. Over a course of moments he had managed to blend into his environment and stumbled along a lot more than he expected. The recklessness of his previous affairs had called for more attention than he requested, and biting off too much was enough to leave him late.

Yet, as always he made it.

He never missed an appointment.

Never...

One trot echoed through the hangar bay, and with his hands stuffed in his pockets and a subtle restraint at his lips to keep his heaving at bay he was ready. Hopefully breathing through his nose would off throw any adrenaline that he pushed him across town, away from a few unsightly badges.

"Hey, I'm ready when you are..."

Nothing else was with him beside a bag on his back. Sen didn't feel he was anymore valuable than anyone else, so there was no need for too much to his name of value; although he couldn't afford it anyways.

Kaast Dulli
May 4th, 2007, 11:16:23 PM
“Well,” Dulli said in his playful tone to no one in particular, “look who decided to join us. Man, I was getting worried, I thought you been abducted by wookies or something.” Walking up the Black Love’s ramp, Dulli yelled down, “Come on Sen, there is money to be made.”

The two men walked through the surprisingly tidy freighter. Dulli began with, “Ok, first stop is Bespin. We’ll meet my guy in Cloud City. It’s a good deal I got going there. Simple cargo like textiles and machine parts, nothing too major.” With a sly grin he sarcastically continued, “So let me give you the tour.”

With a certain glow, he spoke of the ship like a boastful father. The Black Love was a modified YV-664 light freighter. The proud owner had made a few minor adjustments. The turrets was removed and replaced with an automated laser cannons. The hull was reinforced to hold more cargo. The shields and hyperdrive were also upgraded to insure a little more comfort for the crew incase things got hairy. The old girl had seen better days, but it was a reliable transport.

The two men had made their way to the cockpit. Dulli checked the control panel and discovered they had been cleared for take off. Dulli sat in the pilot's chair and said, “All right Sen, we got the ok for takeoff. Time to get off this rock."

Sen Oisel
May 5th, 2007, 11:56:40 AM
History had permitted Sen to reminiscence. All the craziness that had overrun his life in the recent years were enough for a lengthy best seller tale, but he would reserve such conversations for later. The two had only met, and despite the homely feel there was still caution. Any faulty move could untangle a weaved shield, unleashing more turmoil than Sen had already set ahead of him with the new job.

Yet, he was at ease. A sense of comfort overcame the young pilot as he dug in a seat, eyes locked ahead. The cockpit was a fitting place for now, exploring the ship as Kaast flew off would be indecent. Despite the ordinary flavor of the moment, Sen could taste the bitterness Anaxes Citadel. All the training had set him for a time so tranquil, he almost despised the nostalgic setting.

Long before, as he graduated with Citadel's Training Academy he had set his eyes for a prize too far. So few scanned the heavens and actually got the chance to soar them, but he disregarded such blessings to frown at his state. Kaast delivered him from his repetitive life, so to return to the chase.

He was ready for some fun.

"Cloud City sounds like a nice please to be right now," Sen finally replied, eyes lifting above. The cockpit ceiling attempted to limit his imagination, but his mind broke through as he thought of the future.

A smile came to his face.

Kaast Dulli
May 6th, 2007, 05:19:58 PM
The Black Love had lifted off of the planet safely and was currently waiting for permission to make the jump to light speed. Dulli was multi-tasking at the moment. While monitoring the freighters various control panels and support systems, he was also carefully observing the body language of his new co-pilot. The relaxed and easygoing attitude cascading from Sen Oisel was quite disturbing.

Dulli felt the need to rain on the parade, “Let’s get one thing straight, this trip ain’t no vacation. The Hutts, the Dark Mosaic and those other slimy figures in Cloud City shouldn’t be taken lightly. They want these runs done quickly and quietly. So should we for that matter. We don’t need their type of trouble. And I haven’t even mentioned the Empire yet.”

A sudden page came from an instrument panel. A startled Dulli answered it from his headset. He listened for a moment then ended the awkward silence with, “Ok, we’ve being given the thumbs-up to make the jump.” He gripped the controls of hyperdrive and with a gentle pull the two were off.

Sen Oisel
May 6th, 2007, 09:03:01 PM
A smirk dangled at the young pilot's lips. Despite the attempt, he was still at ease. The tranquility couldn't be demolish with small or big threats, and possibilities. Sen had dealt in the iniquitous far too many times before on his short voyage from Anaxes. The Outer Rim wastelands had claimed him before, and Hutts were the last fear he troubled himself with.

Yet, his mind twinge at the problems with the Empire.

It had seemed as though only seconds before had parted him with the incoming tides of the Imperials. Unforeseen danger rested in their bowels, and he never wanted to be swallowed by their unforgiving waves of hate. Long had he run, ducked and hid from them, in spite of all his brother provided.

There was no blatant target placed his back, but even the slightest red could excite a raging bull. Sen didn't even know where the little red dot was on him, before he had never gone out of his way to hurt the Empire. All the problems seem more elementary than graduate, and it caused more ache than understanding.

Sen brushed it all off, he wouldn't let it get to him yet.

"Well then, who is this friend?"

Kaast Dulli
May 6th, 2007, 11:12:05 PM
“Friend? I said nothing about a friend. I said I knew a guy,” Dulli said in a matter of fact tone, ”there are no such thing as friends in this business. That’s why it is important to have a partner you can trust.”

Kaast drifted off into thought. He had a partner like that once. He was a good man. They traveled all over the know galaxy, made and lost a lot of credits together. It was a damn shame what happened to him. A damn shame and Dulli couldn’t help but feel responsible.

The Black Love was coasting through hyperspace. The two would be arriving in Bespin in a matter of hours. From their earlier conversations Dulli could tell that Sen was a complicated and conflicted man. It was time to get know the man sitting to his left. Dulli began with, “So, Sen, where did you learn to fly?”

Sen Oisel
May 7th, 2007, 02:50:50 PM
"Sen of Anaxes Citadel, flyboy."

A smile granted the statement less strain. He had heard it alot around his area. Occasionaly he stopped around the Citadel in hopes of learning a bit more about the sky. Spacers always dug their feet into bars, stuck for hours in tales of the heavens and lost worlds. All of it was forgotten after a few drinks got in their systems, but Sen listened.

He always listened.

"That, and my brother," he said and with that smile was gone.

Kaast Dulli
May 8th, 2007, 07:20:17 PM
“Well,” Dulli reminisced trying to lighten the mood, “my old man taught me how to fly. He was a great smuggler. That ol’ pirate knew these trade routs like the back of his hand. I guess you can say his tricks will die with me. “ Dulli looked over at Sen with a curious grin, “But I ain’t ready to go just yet.”

There was real pain in Sen’s voice when he spoke of his past. The gentleman sitting to his left was a mystery. His past and feelings were locked away, hidden from the rest of the galaxy. But Dulli knew, call it intuition that Sen Oisel was a good man. Sometimes good men are forced to do many a bad thing. For Sen Oisel salvation seemed impossible, Cloud City however was within his reach.

“Hey,” Kaast said restlessly, “you wanta get the wheel for a while, get used to flying the old girl. I could use a break anyway.”

Sen Oisel
May 12th, 2007, 12:10:59 PM
A calm response sled Sen's eyes off to the side. He had listened to Kaast tale, kept it, safeguarded it and awaited the switch of subject. Sen had turn sullen over the past months, but a charisma and studiousness still rested behind his eyes. Youth had given him his sociable traits, and he knew when and when not to do things instinctively.

"No problem, laz randa," he said, splitting his words from different languages.

Spacers favored the bilingual words, with more races shunning Basics in the rise of the Empire. Folks felt their culture was being stole with the landing of stormtrooper boots, and large bases on their homeland with a shove to the side and a spitting 'abo' to boot. Sen had grown to be a friendly face amongst the bunch, and despite his family relations he was anything but xenophobist.

Little heed was given as he landed in the seat, and got comfortable with the controls. An eye shot back at Kaast, letting the words run his mouth with the ease of a politician.

"So, where are the girls?"

The smile returned.

Kaast Dulli
May 15th, 2007, 12:42:51 AM
“Patience my friend, the girls will come once we get those credits,” Dulli said simply.

The travel was beginning to wear on him. The solitude of space took its toll on any man. These trips were always easier when you have a running buddy. So far, Sen was working out quite well as a conversationalist, but how would he hold up in a fight. There was the million-credit question. That was the true measure of a smuggling partner. It takes real guts and a certain mindset to be in this business. One has to be mean but not cold, hungry but not greedy, risky but not reckless. Kaast hoped that Sen had these qualifications.

Dulli looked over Sen and stated, “We should be in Cloud City soon,” Dulli said as he attempted to make eye contact. “Are you ready to begin your new life as a no good space pirate?” A ridiculous grin followed the loaded question.

Sen Oisel
May 15th, 2007, 09:38:18 PM
Even the slightest of idle time gave Sen all he needed to be acquainted with the controls. All the remote, automatic and manual dynamics of the ship seemed to come to him in an explosion. He sat sunk in his seat, engross in the moment of beauty. Space held a vastness, held at bay by just a small ship and every time he coursed the heavens felt like a blessing.

He certainly wasn't afraid, that was for sure.

Despite the change in atmosphere, his face was still quite still when he looked away from Kaast. The emotion drained from him at even the smallest silence, and time of introspect gave him a chill. Every time he got even remotely close to people, he learned to hate loneliness.

He absolutely hated it.

Turning his head around, he glanced over at Kaast, a smile provided in return.

"Who said I haven't already began."

Kaast Dulli
May 16th, 2007, 11:35:45 PM
The candid answer surprised Dulli. Sen might be an unknown commodity in a fight but his tone could definitely start one. Sen was chippy, which is a good quality in any smuggler.

“Easy tough guy, let’s not get ahead of ourselves.” Dulli said chuckling, “but I have to say, I love the enthusiasm.” A silly yet contagious laughter filled the cockpit. The laughter was a welcomed guest. The two men were bonding which increased their chances of success and survival.

Cloud City was close. Dulli could feel it he was starting to relax. Some smugglers got tight on the clock, nasty and irritable. Quite the opposite would be true for Dulli. Life was a mess for Kaast with the drinking, gambling and womanizing but the job was always the escape. It was the clam in the storm.

So much so, Dulli dozed off in the co-pilot seat.

Sen Oisel
Jun 6th, 2007, 11:43:28 AM
A co-pilot seat was right next to him.

Sen wasn't tired, at all. The controllers excited him, his mind tingling and monitoring all the dynamics. He was up for the ride, and despite flight being his cool there was no room for slumber. Even in hyperspace...he was like a little kid in a candy store.

Kaast Dulli
Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:49:03 PM
Kaast woke up after what had to have been the longest nap of his life to find Sen Oisel still studying the controls of the Black Love. Kaast quickly scanned the ships’ instruments to see how the old girl was holding up. The ship was still cruising along in hyperspace.
<o></o>
The two men were close to Bespin but it was hard to tell for sure. Kaast looked over at his co-pilot and asked groggy,”Ok captain, ETA to <st1>Cloud City?"<st1></st1><st1></st1></st1><o>
</o>

Sen Oisel
Jul 6th, 2007, 03:45:29 PM
"Can't tell ya."

Sen's eyes switch off to the side. Fact of the matter was that Sen was still trying to decipher some of the controls on weaponary, and other aspects of the ships. There was a lot he needed to be acquainted with before he got into the basic schematics on the other side of the control panel.

A frown perked on his lips as he glanced over. Although he didn't know, he did want to. One quick flick of his wrist pulled up the information on the control panel, a small image flipping on the screen with the time scale popping on the side.

"Well, not that much longer - only a few more minutes."

Sen placed his hand under his chin as he went back to studying the other parts of the control panel. It was no certanity that the duo would stay a duo long, but the ship was apart of him now. The Academy had engange him in the fascinating world of ship abilities. There was a lot that a normal pilot took for granted, while he wonder about. He immerse himself in the beauty of space travel.

It was one of his addictions...