PDA

View Full Version : So...

Tess Abrahams
Mar 7th, 2007, 10:29:00 PM
...what's up with the Institute? It's pretty dead. :(

Bernard Bass
Mar 8th, 2007, 01:17:19 AM
i agree. if you are looking for some rpg action, let's start a midterm thread. or maybe some class action stuff. something...

Anja Drake
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:13:42 AM
I'm up for something. Usually I'm pretty much always around.

Miranda Tarkin
Mar 8th, 2007, 10:31:11 AM
I can drag Ethan out again for whatever. I do apologize, because of school been a bit hectic but I am on spring break this coming week :)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 8th, 2007, 01:52:39 PM
^ Likewise.

Wouldn't mind doing something. Just need a storyline that's interesting and provides some openings for everyone.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 8th, 2007, 05:00:01 PM
:Poke not to hijack too much, but what about WoD? :(

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:04:57 PM
:uhoh

...I overcommit. I'm terrible. :(

Droo
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:08:36 PM
What about any of them? Let's face it, the only roleplaying that has had any longevity on these forums has been Star Wars. The rest seems like a series of flashes in the pan which satisfy a fleeting moment of boredom and those of us who genuinly inject our interest in it get dumped the moment people once again lose interest.

I was extremely excited about my X-Men character and absolutely loved my WoD character but once your character no longer fits into the designs of others, you quickly find it was pretty much all in vain in the first place. I strongly advise anyone who thinks of joining these sub-genres of roleplaying to think again and stick with what works here: good old Star Wars.

Bernard Bass
Mar 9th, 2007, 01:21:44 AM
yes, i have noticed that the rpg seems to go in cycles. but i think we have a good group of xmen folks, so lets do a storyline.

maybe like a farris bueller's day off theme....with mutants

Tess Abrahams
Mar 9th, 2007, 01:29:15 AM
I love Tess. I'm not giving her up. As long as there are others wanting to continue the RP, she'll be around. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 9th, 2007, 08:05:45 PM
Droo, you gave up on Star Wars too, several times, so shush. ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 9th, 2007, 09:59:32 PM
This is just my personal opinion of course, but I think if there is one potentially crippling fault with the GenRPing forum, it is that we often - unintentionally or otherwise - create a scenario that depends on a large number of people.

I suppose part of why SW is so long-lived, now at least, is that we don't have to rely on *everyone* to post to keep things going. The X-Men threads so far have been quite similar to the old group mission threads that used to go on with GJO/TSE/etc in that you have a pretty big group of characters all trying to interact and develop in the space of one thread. A lot tends to hinge on these threads/storylines, so they can be a little stifling.

Case in point, the WoD revolves around two key locatioons. If you aren't in either of those locations, you're going to have to drum up some more players to kickstart another city with you. If you *are* in either of those locations, you have to have knowledge of what has already happened in said city (e.g. in London, being aware of the Tremere betrayal, the Baa'li invasion and so on) and most probably will have to roleplay in response to it, as the current events are often likely to influence and affect everyone regardless of their standing within society. There are only a small number of us who play in this game - I can't imagine that, even at its most active, there were any more than 8-10 unique roleplayers involved. If even one of us drops out, it puts the whole thing on standstill, really. Again, case in point: myself. I can't help that I fall in and out of love with characters and their stories - but if I stop posting in the WoD, the whole thing grrrinds to a halt, due to the integral role a character like Gabriel Rodermark plays in the grandscheme of things.

Okay, so that was quite a ramble. So what is the point? I suppose one solution might be to suggest that people don't play "important" characters... so that faction leaders etc are NPCs. On the downside, that's creatively stifling in itself. I think that the mutant game is a little better in this regard, in that you have three 'groups' formed already (that I can remember) - the Brotherhood, the X-Men/teachers, and the students. They all obviously need eachother to work in the longrun, but short term it's entirely feasible for the students to do something without the X-Men/teachers. Something small scale, maybe... just to test the waters.

Bernard Bass
Mar 9th, 2007, 10:42:26 PM
yes, i agree with that. but i think that will happen in the 1st act. kind of an introduction. i have had quite a nice run with anatoly and john rhee. i think it might be time to splinter off and go on side missions , if you will.

Droo
Mar 10th, 2007, 04:40:56 AM
Droo, you gave up on Star Wars too, several times, so shush. ;)

No, I took breaks from roleplaying as have many people. And giving that I'd been doing it for years now, and that I'm tired of others losing interest, I'm quite prepared to say "Fine, I'm not wasting another minute of my time on that again" as soon as that happens. To be quite honest, I think those who start a thread in which others get involved, are more than entitled to carry on with their story should the others drop the ball and simply write their character out of the scenario.

And as for Dasquian's post, there's a lot of truth in what you said, but also that is not the sole problem. Small threads break down, story arcs disolve, people just do not seem to be flexible or accomodating and prepared to let things die. Big threads happened in Star Wars, it made sense to start of X-Men with a big first day of school thread, but unfortunately the problems you noted in your post did arise and it fell into disarray. So you start a small thread with one person, plan it a little, and generously leave it open for other roleplayers. Others join, post for a bit, then hippety-hop out of the thread leaving you and your original roleplaying partner in the mud. Frustrating doesn't some this up enough.

Tess Abrahams
Mar 11th, 2007, 01:12:20 AM
I don't want to distract everyone from all these well-worded frustrations, but I just thought I'd point out that there's a thread ('School Daze') going on right now that is open for whoever'd like to join. It would be nice to have some bad guys show up.

Carry on now. :)

Razielle Alastor
Mar 11th, 2007, 08:37:11 AM
hrrmmpphh..

I would love to get things rolling again with Spectre and Tempest, I really enjoy the X-men / Brotherhood stories and I think there is a ton of potential there.

I will admit to being in a horrid position with my WoD character, 'Bella. I think I have completely lost interest in her altogether because I just can't seem to get her involved in anything that dosen't just go poof. There is a whole lot of potential for her, but only when all of these other things that are going on are completed. Which would be great, except that has yet to happen, LOL. So I'm thinking she will just wither away. :p

as for my SW characters. Sue me for a lack of inspiration, I have no acceptable excuse other than I'm bored and uninspired.

(That and RL is a pain in my bottom.)

Void
Mar 11th, 2007, 08:41:30 AM
Tess - I'll jump in once you reach the city :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 11th, 2007, 11:08:22 AM
I actually blame Charley for everything. ;)

Zem-El Vymes
Mar 11th, 2007, 12:28:45 PM
Okay for the love of crap, you all have my aim name. Drop a line and I'll post to whatever.