PDA

View Full Version : Late night Calls (Charlene)

Jason Dreggs
Feb 17th, 2007, 11:48:32 AM
Every night for the past few weeks it never failed the phone rang on Charlene's end. On the other end was Jason it time for the 11 pm good night call. Although this was early morning for Jason. Ever since they both encountered that strange cop these phone calls had been going on. Jason would call to check up on her, seeing mostly if she had gotten a new job yet.

He had to asking himself why as he waited for her to answer the phone. Maybe part of him still wanted to be human. That part of him wanted some sort of companionship in the real world. The world he had left behind awhile ago. To be honest Charlene was almost like all the girls he had dated back in the day. She was strong and domineering with a freedom all her own that no one could take away. She reminded him allot of his past and who he used to be. It rang again and Jason knew she was just making him wait just because she wanted him to suffer just a bit.

Charlene Briggs
Feb 17th, 2007, 11:57:55 AM
And just like clockwork the phone rings. Always at 11pm, my mystery man who has become my protector since my bar burnt down. We both agreed to keep in touch since the weirdness with the cop that night. He's a weird one, Jason. He's young and rich and has been around the world but acts like us regular poor folk.

Cept for the weird assassins after him and that he's a late night owl. Like me. Well used to be. I still haven't found a new job. Yet. I should have something lined up for next week, hopefully or otherwise my rent's gonna be late. Other bills I was able to squeak by but I really don't wanna pull outta my savings if I don't have to. That's for school.

On the sixth ring I pick up the phone as I'm still drying my hair and half naked. "Hello, Jason."

Jason Dreggs
Feb 24th, 2007, 12:52:08 PM
As she answered the phone Jason’s minded imagined her half naked coming out of the shower or something. Yet logic set in she was probably in sweat pants and a long t-shirt just sitting down to watch some movie or late night show. He imagined her watching a chick flick and just laughed lightly over the phone knowing she definitely wouldn't be watching any of those.

"Hello Miss Briggs, this your late night stalker calling."

He called her miss briggs to annoy her more than anything adding a bit of a British accent into the mix.

"You know, you really shouldn't make a British man wait. We are a high commodity in this country you know. Plenty of woman would be jealous of the fact that you hold one so close to you as good looking as I am. I could start calling one of them at eleven and you would be so heart broken."

Jason laughed at the end of his statement letting her on the fact that he was joking. Of course he was only half British so no other woman would really want a half American man bothering them at this hour. Half American male only meant he was only half a butt head instead of a full one.

Charlene Briggs
Feb 24th, 2007, 04:16:05 PM
I rolled my eyes. I always find myself doing that with him. But it's his fault. He says the most outrageous things without making much sense. "Actually, gold digging hussies would find you the most attractive and fawn all over you just to get a crack at your millions."

I flop onto my bed and click on the evening news as our evening repartee continued. "Besides, I just got out the shower and didn't hear the phone ring. But if you must break my heart, then go right ahead. I'm sure I can find something to occupy my time in the form of not caring to heal it."

Bah. Nothing on the news worth noting. Just the typical crap that depresses you. Murder, sickness, war and the fluffy story at the end that no one gives a damn about since your heart froze over from all the evil in the world.

Jason Dreggs
Mar 17th, 2007, 12:18:39 PM
Jason's eyes widened as she mentioned just getting out of the shower and he almost laughed over the phone. His vampire powers where manifesting themselves into psychic powers he thought to himself humorously.

"Oh come on you wouldn't miss me even a little bit? As for those gold digging hussies well they wouldn't come after me I don't openly admit to being rich. Heck I don't even own a car and my apartment well I could have gotten better if I wanted it."

Jason despite having money lived a fairly simple life. Main reason was cause he knew the money he had would have to last him a long time. He lived a relaxed life style with nothing to extravagant it just wasn't his style.

"So how is the job hunting going?"

Charlene Briggs
Mar 31st, 2007, 07:57:09 AM
"Oh don't even start you sonuvabitch! Your apartment is like a palace compared to mine and you can pay rent. So, no ..."

Ow damnit. Found a spring. Time to flip this thing, for all the good that'll do.

"... I haven't found a job yet. I'm hoping to hear something tomorrow from this sports bar I applied too. Drunk jocks should give good tips if I get it."

Jason Dreggs
Mar 31st, 2007, 08:23:20 AM
"No it's not even close to a palace mind you I have seen and even stayed in a few as a kid."

Jason let out a little chuckle.

"As for the jocks I'm pretty sure they will give you good tips and few good one liners as well. Just don't go bashing there heads into any bars or breaking bar stools over there heads. You may not have a job long if you do that."

Jason envisioned the Russian Charlene took out at the old bar. To bad that guy didn't survive the fire to enjoy the splitting headache he would of had the next day.

"You know I could give you my apartment and move to the burbs into an even bigger house. I could be like your sugar daddy if that is the correct American term?"

The Mark
Mar 31st, 2007, 08:37:05 AM
Outside the fire escape a cigar lit up and a first puff came out of the Marks mouth. He watch Charlene talking on the phone just as he had watched her step from the bathroom in nothing but a towel. The hunter watch her and the way she had carried herself from the bathroom to the couch like a peace of meat. The he whispered to himself quietly.

"Jason how you do like slumming for woman."

Charlene Briggs
Mar 31st, 2007, 08:45:09 AM
I roll my eyes. Jason was having one of his special nights, where his sarcasm dripped off the receiver like a pile of horse crap.

"You really are on fire today, arent'cha?" I grin from ear to ear with that because he has this weird phobia of fire. Not sure why really. Course if you really think about it, everyone should have a fear of fire. Including myself. Though my stemmed from good old daddy putting out his cigarette butts on my arms and legs, or really any piece of skin the sick schmuck could find.

Then that's when I catch a whiff of a sweet aroma coming into my room. It wasn't weed, my neighbors upstairs were notorious for that. Nah, this was a cigar. Wonder if it was someone passing by. "Yes that would be the correct word and never in a million years would I allow anyone to be my sugar daddy. No matter how nice they were."

Being indebted to someone? Nuh uh. No way. Even in jest my stomach turns sour at the thought.

Jason Dreggs
Mar 31st, 2007, 09:02:40 AM
"I sure hope not I just got this shirt back from the dry cleaners I would hate to see it with burn marks. Not to mention the Asian guy at the dry cleaner just about killed me for the ketchup I got on it. I would hate see what he would think of burn marks."

In all actuality it was blood not ketchup but he didn't want Charlene to get the wrong Idea about him. Despite his dislike of having to drink blood it was a necessity for him to survive. He could starve himself but then he would leave allot of things unfinished in this world. Just like he could walk out into the sun anytime he want just to end it all but there was more good he felt he could do to pay for his one great sin.

"Well you are one the few in my life I know of who would decline such an offer. I find way to many people would rather take a hand out then try to make it on there own. Just remember though if you ever do need anything though I am always here?"

The Mark
Mar 31st, 2007, 09:08:30 AM
The mark took another puff and smirked a bit as he saw a wide grin cross Charlene's face. Even though he only saw it from a side glance.

"Your a smooth one Jason. Just like your father to bad he has better taste in woman though."

He wanted to jump through the window there and then and slit her throat wide making the grin permanent. Yet he held back it was not time for that he need to play his games first. Get inside the head of his victim. from there he would break them mentally then finish them off. Most would call him sadistic but he thought of himself as normal and the way ever one else should be. I t would make the world allot more interesting if everyone was like him.

Charlene Briggs
Mar 31st, 2007, 09:27:14 AM
"And why are you always here?" I ask again since he keeps eluding my question. Jason I kid with being my creepy stalker, but he really isn't. Doing what I do for a living, you can usually recognize the stench of some loser guy as soon as they walk into the bar. Jason was always different. Sure he hung around me but was never pushy, usually polite, and left me alone to my own devices so I could deal with my 'fans' as he called them.

I really don't understand him. He defies the explainable. He's just nice with no strings attached but his concern isn't romantic. "You don't owe me anything no matter what you say. It was that Mark's fault and I'm shutting you up right now before you say if you weren't around it never woulda happened. You can't control other peoples actions."

Jason Dreggs
Mar 31st, 2007, 09:51:11 AM
It's a question Jason didn't have clear answer for. Mainly cause he couldn't explain it to her and expect her to accept the answer he gave no matter if it was true or not. The world was allot different through Jason’s eyes. A world he never wanted Charlene to ever have to see.

"I always pay my debts and for my sins. Even if you don't believe what happened was my fault to me it was."

He could go into the long drawn out history of paying for his sins and debts but that held allot of father hate issues. His primary reason was he didn't want to be like his farther leaving people hurt and broken. His father had no concern if he ripped off a poor innocent man but Jason would care he didn't want to be like his dad.

"The mark came for me. I survived but allot good people died in my place. I owe them a debt. I owe you because you lost a job and almost lost your life too. If I where my father I would have just left that bar in ruin and walked away from it all as if nothing had happened. Yet I am not built like that I just can't leave it behind. Yes the mark started the fire but had I not been there he wouldn't have."

Charlene Briggs
Mar 31st, 2007, 09:56:14 AM
My lips pucker in displeasure. "What did I just say?"

I pound on a few of the keys so the loud key tones start ringing in his ear before I bring the receiver back to my lips. "Didn't I just say not to tell me that."

This was the playful approach to changing the subject. He mentioned his father and I'd really rather not go down that road of memory lane.

Still ... "You need to quit carrying your guilt around."

Jason Dreggs
Mar 31st, 2007, 10:17:37 AM
Jason had to pull the phone away from his ear as the ring tones came across. After they ended he stuck a finger in his ear and wiggled. A habit of most human kind like it really did anything to help with the hearing loss that just occurred.

"Sorry."

He spoke in a sheepish tone as he made his quick reply. He knew he should have seen that coming to bad vampirism didn't come with telepathy or at least his strand didn't. He wasn't so sure about those malc's though they where a bit crazy after all. In fact he was starting to wonder if he might in better with them. Cause well despite the abuse he had to put up with from Charlene he was sure he was falling for her.

"Well what do you suggest I go to a priest and confess my sins? Then drop a couple thousand in the offering plate to be absolved?"

The Mark
Mar 31st, 2007, 10:30:43 AM
"Smooth real smooth Jason."

The mark almost let out a laugh holding it back as he watch Charlene pound on the phone. He liked this woman’s spunk maybe he wouldn't kill her outright. Maybe he would torture her and get some pleasure out of her first. He could see her now tied to a metal table cursing him and putting up a fight. He imagined what her flesh might taste like.

Charlene Briggs
Mar 31st, 2007, 10:34:53 AM
"I wouldn't know, Jason. I'm an Atheist. But if you believe in that stuff, ya might as well try." I don't believe in God, gods, or whatever. I've been living in my own personal Hell since I was born. Things are better now that I'm on my own, but I've never seen anything to prove that some higher power exists. And for the sake of argument, if there was, then why did they leave us all alone to be preyed upon those with power and god complexes, forcing us to live in misery and making us suffer for their own giggles.

Jason Dreggs
Mar 31st, 2007, 11:01:34 AM
"I don't have much choice in that matter. I believe cause I have too. However the comment about the priest was just a joke."

Being what he was, God is the one who had cursed Cain. God was the only one that could redeem him from it. Yet if he would try to explain that to Charlene she would totally freak or go clinically mad. The world was to big for mortal eyes to comprehend. Not that mortals where dumb cause they where not they just had allot of defense mechanisms wired into there brain to protect them from the truth. It would be a shock to the system to know the truth all in one big flood.

"Can I ask why you don't believe?"

The Mark
Mar 31st, 2007, 11:09:05 AM
"Oh what a naive little child."

Maybe the mark would also have to show her the world before he did away with her. It would be amazing the site of belief in her eyes just as she passed. The shock, the sadness, and the pain all flood into her senses. The site of her heavy panicking breathe and her warm flesh going cold. Death was such a beautiful site to behold. It was even more Beautiful when you held that life in your own hands. You could crush it or let it flourish on a whim. He took another puff.

Charlene Briggs
Mar 31st, 2007, 11:15:19 AM
I can feel my jaw clamping shut and hear my teeth starting to grind together. "I'd rather not get into it."

It took him awhile, longer then the rest, but he finally found that wall where he could go no further. As much as I liked the guy, it was too scary to think about allowing someone to get inside. And this line of questioning would inevitably lead to that. Or the start of it ...

"What're you gonna be up to tonight?"

Jason Dreggs
Mar 31st, 2007, 11:51:29 AM
"Oh filing some papers and try to write out a proposal that both sides of the dispute I am currently mediating can agree on. Sad part is neither side wants to move an inch either way. One company wants this but the other wants it to for a completely different reason. It is mostly over land issues though so it is long an boring work."

It was good Charlene had no Idea what he was talking about when he was talking work. Filing papers meant getting information. Writing a proposal meant bashing in some faces to persuade some to see the dispute Jason’s way. The two companies where the anarchs and the Camarilla. What they both wanted was Chicago and neither side wanted to share.

"So I will be working all night more then likely. Just be thankful you don't have a job like mine where you have deal with some real nut jobs that think there gods amongst insects."

Charlene Briggs
Mar 31st, 2007, 11:57:17 AM
"Actually, I think that's how my job description is currently." I'm getting my sense of humor back, which is good since I rather not go to bed grumpy. It would take me a long time to get to sleep and I wanna be wide eyed and all bushy tailed when I meet my potential new boss.

"Except they're just drunk and think they own the world, where you deal with the sober folk."

Jason Dreggs
Mar 31st, 2007, 12:19:10 PM
"That’s the worst part there sober and they think like that."

Especially those Blue bloods and there arrogant fancy panted ways.

"At least the drunk ones have an excuse there drunk."

Jason had to smile to himself at that point though see him and Charlene trading places in jobs. Watching the blue bloods running in fear of her womanly rage made him chuckle. She would fit in better with the brojah then he ever would even though he was already a member. It's just his rage was fueled a little bit different then most people in the clan.

"When ever you get money for college please don't go into the business industry it sucks."

The Mark
Mar 31st, 2007, 12:35:22 PM
The mark took a brick he had set on one of the steps of the fire escape and held it in his hand. On it was the his symbol he looked at diligently a his thumb felt it's engraved textures. The symbol had been engraved into the brick with a knife that now was in one of his boots. He grabbed his cigar with his free hand and set on the outside window ledge.

"Good night my sweat the fight begins to night."

He brought his arm back and then forward tossing the brick through the window. With a large crashing sound the window shatter into a thousand pieces. All that could be seen of the mark was his large dark figure leaping over the edge the fire escape. His skin was as dark as night almost and his frame was large and even in his outline in the night it was obvious his muscles where well defined. The cigar just sat on the outside window burning he was gone ina flash only a breef glimpse could be caught before he had jumped.

Charlene Briggs
Mar 31st, 2007, 12:48:34 PM
"What the ..." Okay what the hell's going on. I didn't get a good look at the guy since he was wearing dark clothes, but it was probably some gang bangers wanting to start something I bet. Wouldn't surprise me with the neighborhood I'm in. I toss the phone away because Jason's endless questions are gonna annoy me.

I put on some shoes so I don't cut myself with the glass all over my floor and walk around to see if my guest left any presents. I laugh when I see the brick. Couldn't they be more original then a red brick. But then I realize it ain't just some common brick when I kick it over. That's when I see the mark ... It was the same mark I saw near the bar when me and Jason were poking around. I start feeling queasy because for all my bravado about this not being Jason's fault, it just did. This entire situation just went from nothing to my life being on the line.

When I get to the window, there's no sign of him. How the hell can one guy jump down three stories without so much of a peep?

I sniff the air, crinkling my nose, and as my eyes set upon the cigar laying there. Fear rushes through me as I realize that bastard was watching me the entire time and who the hell knows for how long ...