PDA

View Full Version : My Kitty Went to Kitty Heaven Tonight

Rutabaga
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:31:57 AM
Well, my weekend got off to a lousy start...I ended up having my older cat put to sleep a little while ago. She was at least 17 years old and had started having some health problems last year. She was fine when I went to work this morning, but this evening she was becoming sick and just wasn't herself. I took her to the emergency pet clinic up the road, and after some lab tests and some serious discussion with the vet, we all decided that any possible treatment would be very expensive, had no guarantee of success, and would only delay the inevitable. This is the first time I've ever gone through euthanizing a pet, and as difficult as it was, it was also very peaceful and gentle.

My other cat just seems really confused right now and seems to be wondering where her partner went. It's going to take her some time to get used to the change as well, I'm sure.

:(

Wyl Staedtler
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:38:57 AM
Oh dear, I'm so sorry. :(

It's a very difficult thing to do but she had a good long run of it and you no doubt made the best decision for her. It's no fun for kitty to go though an ehaustive treatment with no gaurentee of relief.

Snuggle up on the couch with a warm blanket. I hope your weekend gets better. :hug

www.fabcats.org/behaviour_felinebereavement.html<-- this is a good site that we give to clients who have multiple cats and experience a loss.

Rutabaga
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:40:14 AM
Thank you very much :)

Park Kraken
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:38:21 PM
Oh that's so sad. :cry I remember the solitary cat we had running off and never returning, I can't imagine having to actually be there when the cat dies and making the decision.

:hug

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:41:10 PM
:( Having gone through something very similar but with a very young cat, I empathize completely with you. :hug I hope your other cat adjusts well - we ended up getting a new cat for companionship for our surviving kitty.