PDA

View Full Version : Stupid woman trying to ban Harry Potter

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 18th, 2007, 06:08:15 PM
I hate this woman
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/education/stories/011807dnentpotterprotest.a89cec.html

I know people have tried to ban Harry Potter books before but it is the fact that this woman just doesn't give up. She has been trying for about 2 years now. She is on her 4th appeal this time to the Georgia courts. Not sure who her lawyer is but he must have graduate from one of those online courses. No lawyer in his right mind would take this case. The Courts will side with the schools in a case like this. At this point she is just wasting her own money and the money of the taxpayers of Georgia.

Tristan Tahmores
Jan 18th, 2007, 06:17:33 PM
Yeah. Someone should just crack out a good hex on her, and be done with it.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 18th, 2007, 06:53:30 PM
heh I wouldn't go there. Seriously as much time and effort she is using to try to ban a book. She could use that effort to do something postive like feed the homeless or something.

Tristan Tahmores
Jan 18th, 2007, 07:02:12 PM
Yeah. Its kind of a shame that people have such warped priorities. If she's so bothered about her kids reading it, then tell them not to. Ask the school not to allow her kids to take the books out of the library. If they really wanna read the books that badly, I'm sure they'll manage to find a copy, even if it is banned from the library.

Aragnos Starstriker
Jan 18th, 2007, 07:37:06 PM
You can't help but laugh though, stop and tap your head thinking '.......right.......' and then back to laughing. Dread to think what she thinks of santa claus and the easter bunny.....

Razielle Alastor
Jan 18th, 2007, 07:50:21 PM
freakin' psycho's.... :mad

Tristan Tahmores
Jan 18th, 2007, 07:54:48 PM
You can't help but laugh though, stop and tap your head thinking '.......right.......' and then back to laughing. Dread to think what she thinks of santa claus and the easter bunny.....

Just gotta say as an aside - your comment made me think of it. Anyone seen Hoodwinked? Gotta love their choice of villain for that one. :lol

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 18th, 2007, 08:54:16 PM
Mallory said she's ready for a legal fight. She said she's already contacted a potential expert witness to lend support to her case. And she said supporters who urged her to continue the case have sent her "significant donations" to help pay legal fees.

This part in particular made me smile, because I have to wonder if these people are just giving her money in order for her to continue making an idiot out of herself.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 18th, 2007, 10:15:45 PM
This part in particular made me smile, because I have to wonder if these people are just giving her money in order for her to continue making an idiot out of herself.

LOL I hadn't thought about that. I also wonder how much she has got. She might have gotten 100 bucks and that is it and is using her own money and just don't want to admit it. I read nothing about a lawyer involved, it would be a riot to see her defend her own case.

Droo
Jan 18th, 2007, 10:25:14 PM
This woman is an idiot, a retard, and those of her unintelligent kind should not be allowed to breed. Why do fools like this still exist and assume people take them seriously?

Aragnos Starstriker
Jan 19th, 2007, 03:54:13 AM

Makes me think...... Is there a hidden camera situated somewhere and when is the release date for 'Hey kids look, I'm an idiot!'

I think someone just told her that the tooth fairy isn't real and she is just bitter :p

Only way I'll believe anything that comes out of her mouth is if she can prove she was related to anyone that was involved with the Harlem witch-hunt. Was in a play called The Crucible and it was all about that.

Rutabaga
Jan 19th, 2007, 08:14:30 AM
J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books, published by London-based Bloomsbury Publishing PLC, have been challenged 115 times since 2000, making them the most challenged texts of the 21st century, according to the American Library Association.

The challenges most often claim that the series encourages children to question adult authority and promotes witchcraft, said Deborah Caldwell-Stone, the deputy director for the association's Office for Intellectual Freedom.

1) Children have questioned adult authority for thousands of years. It's a prerequisite for childhood. These books cannot be blamed--or credited--for that.

2) I have yet to read or hear a single news story about a child attempting to perform witchcraft after reading any of the books. Has anyone here? And even if they did, so what? And as an aside, the one thing that really burns me up is when people attempt to get the series banned because it allegedly promotes Satanism. That's a clear sign of ignorance from people who obviously haven't even bothered to read the books.

3) It's been challenged 115 times already? And how many of those 115 challenges have been successful? I figure, oh, about ZERO.

I agree, this woman could spend her time and money doing something much more constructive. I'd also like to know what kind of movies, TV shows, and videogames this woman's kids play, or are they so restricted that they only get to do G-rated harmless fluff stuff? Will she cover their eyes when commercials for Order of the Phoenix start airing in a few months?

She may not want her kids to read it, fine, tell them not to. But she--and no one else in this world--has any right to determine what other people's children are allowed to read. Plain and simple. End of story. :shakefist

Razielle Alastor
Jan 19th, 2007, 09:51:57 AM
She may not want her kids to read it, fine, tell them not to. But she--and no one else in this world--has any right to determine what other people's children are allowed to read. Plain and simple. End of story. :shakefist

You are my hero. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 19th, 2007, 10:08:42 AM
1) Children have questioned adult authority for thousands of years. It's a prerequisite for childhood. These books cannot be blamed--or credited--for that.

2) I have yet to read or hear a single news story about a child attempting to perform witchcraft after reading any of the books. Has anyone here? And even if they did, so what? And as an aside, the one thing that really burns me up is when people attempt to get the series banned because it allegedly promotes Satanism. That's a clear sign of ignorance from people who obviously haven't even bothered to read the books.

3) It's been challenged 115 times already? And how many of those 115 challenges have been successful? I figure, oh, about ZERO.

I agree, this woman could spend her time and money doing something much more constructive. I'd also like to know what kind of movies, TV shows, and videogames this woman's kids play, or are they so restricted that they only get to do G-rated harmless fluff stuff? Will she cover their eyes when commercials for Order of the Phoenix start airing in a few months?

You summed up my opinion perfectly.

Rutabaga
Jan 19th, 2007, 08:50:31 PM
You are my hero. :D

Oh my! :o :) :angel

I have a BA in English and a great love for literature of all kinds, so book banning is a subject that drives me absolutely nuts. Especially when it's pursued by ignorant paranoid people :p.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 19th, 2007, 10:39:17 PM
I'm with Jinn on this one. People like this make me lose a little more faith in humanity.

Zem-El Vymes
Jan 20th, 2007, 09:01:19 AM
Part of me hopes she fails miserably because I despise excessive government intrusion into private affairs.

Then again part of me perversely hopes she succeeds, because oh man do I hate Harry Potter.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 20th, 2007, 05:35:13 PM
Part of me hopes she fails miserably because I despise excessive government intrusion into private affairs.

Then again part of me perversely hopes she succeeds, because oh man do I hate Harry Potter.

Look at it this way if Harry Potter got banned it wouldn't be long before something you like got banned. That is how it starts with book bannings. Luckily in this country book banning has never caught on. Sometimes school boards will pull controversal books but pretty much nothing has been any wide bannings.

Zem-El Vymes
Jan 20th, 2007, 07:13:16 PM
Carr please stop being serious all the time.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 20th, 2007, 07:31:52 PM
There are some books that have no business being taught to schoolchildren due to content, so there is nothing wrong with schools pulling 'controversial' books from their lineup, and something wrong with them for putting such books in front of children in the first place.

However, the whole Harry Potter thing... is nonsense.

Jaime Tomahawk
Jan 20th, 2007, 11:25:35 PM
The person trying to ban it is an attention whore. Set userid "Book Banner" = ignore.