PDA

View Full Version : I made a pizza

Zem-El Vymes
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:46:55 PM
It's kind of ugly and stuff, but it's almost entirely from scratch, and completely vegetarian. Far and away, the best damn pie I've ever had.

Jaime Tomahawk
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:05:28 PM
Oh man, Veggie Pizza is like a Tofu steak :(

Zem-El Vymes
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:16:31 PM
No way. When you aren't weighed down by grease and stuff, you can get a lot more bold with the flavors. Instead of having a thick pizza sauce to go with oily meat toppings, I went with organic olive oil infused with herbs, which complemented the veggie toppings very well. This is like five times as flavorful as a regular pizza, but it's so light that you don't feel like sweating oil and taking a nap after having some.

I like me a steak just fine, but pizza tastes so much better without meat on it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:48:14 PM
Isn't pizza supposed to be...well... round? ;)

Miranda Tarkin
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:12:10 AM
pssh! That pizza crust has character!

Zem-El Vymes
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:27:10 AM
You try rolling your own dough and get back to me. The stuff is stubborn and very elastic. You roll it three inches, it retreats two. You repeat, adding a little flour to the dough when it sticks to the roller, and meal to the stone when it sticks to the stone. I'm amazed I was able to even get an approximation of a circle. Frustrating, but in a good way.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:03:23 AM
We used to make pizza from scratch all the time and my mom's pizzas were always circular. ;) It probably only takes practice.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:18:18 AM
To be fair, I don't have a rolling pin so he used tossed a bottle of vodka into the freezer for a little bit then used that ^_^;

It was fantastic pizza though. It tasted great without the sauce, plus there wasn't enough cheese on it to make me sick :D

Zem-El Vymes
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:24:14 AM
I guess. I'll try it again today! :D

Zem-El Vymes
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:59:42 AM
PART DEUX, READY, FIGHT!

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/LoungieMu/pizza1.jpg

A lot more round. Also, a lot more toppings!

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/LoungieMu/pizza2.jpg

Perfect! The cheese just started to brown, and the veggies are all done! The crust is probably about right.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/LoungieMu/pizza3.jpg

Enjoy!

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:15:30 PM
Ohhh my stomach is rumbling now

Tristan Tahmores
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:59:29 PM
Do you make deliveries? I'm too tired/lazy to wander to the kitchen and cook something right now... >_<

Sorry for being a n00b, but is one/both of you veggie then, or is it just a "to be different" thing? My girlfriend is vegetarian, and I'm struggling to think up innovative things to do when I cook her dinner. Haven't found a decent alternative to mince, so I can't do my trademark lasagne; anyone got any suggestions on that front? I'm worried that quorn won't bind together well enough. Had some bad experiences with it in the past.

Ryan Pode
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:22:49 PM
Next time I make pizza, I will take pictures. I make a mean stuffed crust and a mean barbecue chicken pizza. Granted, I did work at a dominos for a year... making pizzas.

Zem-El Vymes
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:55:38 PM
Do you make deliveries? I'm too tired/lazy to wander to the kitchen and cook something right now... >_<

Sorry for being a n00b, but is one/both of you veggie then, or is it just a "to be different" thing? My girlfriend is vegetarian, and I'm struggling to think up innovative things to do when I cook her dinner. Haven't found a decent alternative to mince, so I can't do my trademark lasagne; anyone got any suggestions on that front? I'm worried that quorn won't bind together well enough. Had some bad experiences with it in the past.

Neither of us are veg, but we do enjoy certain vegetarian dishes.

I'm pretty new to the game though. I was never a good lasagna maker, even with the real deal.

Inyos Aamoran
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:05:59 PM
I'm like that a bit - I'd probably go vegetarian if it wasn't for the fact that I like a lot of meat dishes. Lol. Don't think you can make Steak and Guinness Pie without the steak in... :\

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:33:28 PM
That pizza looks heavenly, Charley. Much better job on the roundness, too!

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:44:20 PM
If I was a veggie eater, I'm sure I'd love that thing. As such, it looks really good, to the point of making me want a pizza now. Good job, Chuck!

Natia Telcontar
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:05:52 AM
Pizza, now that's something I haven't made in years. All depending on how you make it will depend on how greasy it is. I've always managed to get away with not having a greasy pizza when I make it despite their being meat on it.

Park Kraken
Jan 17th, 2007, 12:58:30 AM
I've only gone halfway on original pizza creation. The dough and sauce I'll buy at the store, but the toppings is from stuff you wouldn't consider putting on a pizza.

Zem-El Vymes
Jan 17th, 2007, 06:55:31 AM
I'm almost ready to start making my own dough. Maybe on my next pizza.

I'm already doing my own pesto. I bought a mortar and pestle, and ground down the spices, and used herbal olive oil as a base. My mom thought it tasted heavy on the rosemary, but she doesn't like rosemary. I liked it.

Zem-El Vymes
Jan 20th, 2007, 10:19:04 AM
Just made some fresh, whole wheat dough from scratch. We'll see how this turns out :D

Zem-El Vymes
Jan 20th, 2007, 07:32:34 PM
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/LoungieMu/pizza6.jpg

A veggie pie for me, and a spinach & chicken alfredo pie for Christin

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/LoungieMu/pizza7.jpg
Thick crust chicken pie with sliced mozz & red sauce for Akrabbim

We have a lot of leftovers, suffice to say.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 20th, 2007, 10:23:09 PM
Mouthwatering :yum

Ryan Pode
Jan 21st, 2007, 12:03:55 AM
You need to slap your dough better. Start the dough as just a ball, then use your fingers to gently stretch it apart, don't pull. If you try to pull it turns out deformed.

Zem-El Vymes
Jan 21st, 2007, 01:20:08 AM
Well, the properties of the dough are a bit different than a traditional enriched flour dough. Whole wheat isn't nearly as elastic, and is considerably more dense. This was my first time to really experiment with it, so I'm refining the process as I go.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 21st, 2007, 02:48:41 PM
Are you using a recipe?

Sanis Prent
Jan 21st, 2007, 02:49:40 PM
For the dough? Yeah.

Ryan Pode
Jan 21st, 2007, 03:25:03 PM
On Yahoo's main page: http://food.yahoo.com/blog/sliceamerica/54/a-slice-of-heaven-the-perfect-ingredients

Sanis Prent
Jan 21st, 2007, 04:51:42 PM
Well, there's not much for me to do unfortunately since my oven can't get that hot. The stone helps, but there's only so much heat I can build up.

Ryan Pode
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:32:19 PM
That might be a problem, but I felt there were some different views to concepts that were interesting.

Yog
Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:12:02 AM
This thread makes me hungry

Fiona Devlin
Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:52:25 PM
I still 'cheat' when I make my pizzas. I use Boboli brushed with olive oil. As ready-made pizza crusts go, Boboli is very good. I'm gonna try to make my own soon though.

Zem-El Vymes
Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:52:33 PM
Boboli always looks like it would be too dry. Not the crispy crackery kind of dry that you get with a thin crust, but just, I dunno, dry. Looked like the love child between pita bread and a squashed loaf of foccacia. That sounds really good in retrospect, and I'd be tempted to eat it by itself without cooking any of it ^_^;

Kitty you should take a picture. I trust your kitchen wizardry a lot so you probably could make that work a whole lot better than I imagine. Do you brush on both sides?

Oh and while I caught you online (!!!) do you have any good asparagus recipes? I'm almost played out on spinach for right now and I'm thinking about trying maybe some asparagus & angel hair pasta.

Fiona Devlin
Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:25:17 PM
Yes, I do brush olive oil on both sides of the bread (also when I'm using flat breads for gyros) so that it isn't dry tasting. Of course it can't beat home-made pizza dough, but that's something I've yet to really tackle. I can make Stromboli though. :D

Asparagus is wicked scary, like Cthulu. :eek Sorry, I have no asparagus recipes.

Seerriss
Jan 24th, 2007, 12:23:01 AM
*paws at the screen a little* every time I look at this thread I want pizza.....