PDA

View Full Version : MMOs - Stargate Worlds in particular

Tristan Tahmores
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:32:30 PM
Does anyone around here play any MMOs at all? I used to play SWG for a while, until just before ROTW came out, and I played DDO for a few months before I headed off to uni.

I'm a big Stargate fan, and want to try out the Stargate MMO when it graces the internet, but I'm a student, and thus poor. By the time its out, I'll probably have access to a decent computer and internet connection...but does anyone have any idea how much its going to cost? Or is that undecided?

Karl Valten
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:46:44 PM
I played City of Villians, EVE online, and SWG. But I discontinued my subscriptions a while ago. Would be fun to get started again, but I hardly have enough time to write posts here as it is.

Nilk
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:59:52 PM
I'm a player of WoW currently, but I'm leaving once LOTRO comes out, most likely.

Droo
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:04:17 AM
I started with SWG, dabbled in a bit of Matrix Online, then Guild Wars, and now I'm playing WoW.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 10th, 2007, 06:43:57 AM
I currently play Eve Online and WoW but I am not adverse to Guild Wars. I don't see anything on the horizon that truly interests me.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 10th, 2007, 06:47:06 AM
I have to admit I hadn't heard that there was going to be a Stargate MMO. Is there an official homepage up for it yet?

Khendon Sevon
Jan 10th, 2007, 09:50:31 AM
Realm --> UO --> Alt. UO Shards --> Day of EQ (it was horrible) --> Anarchy Online --> Planet Side --> World of Warcraft

Now I'm looking forward to Pirates of the Burning Seas and hoping that the Firefly MMO that's been announced makes it through the development stage and is actually good.

Yog
Jan 10th, 2007, 11:45:21 AM
I played:

- Anarchy Online (subscribed for some months. Its was good, but aging..)
- Star Wars Galaxies (played for a year or so before I gave up. Its really horrible after CU)
- City of Heros (played the beta, seems ok)
- Guildwars (trials, might look it up more, since there are no monthly fee)

Currently playing
- World of Warcraft (last logged in 3 weeks ago. Bored with it until TBC)
- EVE (the MMO I am having the most fun with, although a good corp is key)

Looking forward to:
- Age of Conan (this more than anything else!)
- Star Trek Online (I like the sci fi setting)

MMOS which are going to suck based on things I know or heard:
- Vanguard
- LOTR online
- Warhammer

Figrin D'an
Jan 10th, 2007, 12:44:33 PM
Currently playing WoW, played Guild Wars when it was in beta, that's about it though beyond trying a few others for a couple hours tops. I probably won't have time to try many of the new MMOs that are coming out though.

Zereth Lancer
Jan 10th, 2007, 01:01:32 PM
I played Guild Wars for awhile, got nearly to max level, but it just got so boring. It was, roughly, the same thing over and over again, only with a slight change of scenery. The fact that you had to go in and out of towns so often to do quests and every time you came back out again the monsters respawned was really, really annoying. It just got old. Now I don't play any MMOs.

Miranda Tarkin
Jan 10th, 2007, 01:04:19 PM
I play City of Heroes and Villains currently ^^

Yog
Jan 10th, 2007, 01:21:46 PM
I played Guild Wars for awhile, got nearly to max level, but it just got so boring. It was, roughly, the same thing over and over again, only with a slight change of scenery. The fact that you had to go in and out of towns so often to do quests and every time you came back out again the monsters respawned was really, really annoying. It just got old. Now I don't play any MMOs.

I believe, in the future, MMO's will have to break the mould a bit in terms what a MMO is. The genre needs some innovation and new ideas. Just copying the WoW formula won't do. The future is long term entertainment with minimum grind and time sink.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:09:55 PM
I really wish they would make a World of Darkness MMORPG. I could honestly see myself breaking my "no MMORPG!" rule for that, especially if they had dedicated RP servers.

Zereth Lancer
Jan 10th, 2007, 05:07:45 PM
I really wish they would make a World of Darkness MMORPG. I could honestly see myself breaking my "no MMORPG!" rule for that, especially if they had dedicated RP servers.

Yes, that would be cool, Jen.

Tristan Tahmores
Jan 10th, 2007, 06:48:22 PM
I have to admit I hadn't heard that there was going to be a Stargate MMO. Is there an official homepage up for it yet?

http://www.stargateworlds.com/

I think the game is due out this year. Not sure though. Some of the graphics look pretty swanky, and as MMOs go, Stargate certainly has the potential. I was aching to play The Alliance before it was cancelled, so I might need to go on this for a few months, just to satisfy my Stargate fix!

Miranda Tarkin
Jan 10th, 2007, 06:52:32 PM
I know someone working on that game. Too bad they can't tell me anything they're doing :lol

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 10th, 2007, 07:57:24 PM
I used to play City of Heroes and Villains, but I don't have enough time to anymore. :(

Morgan Evanar
Jan 10th, 2007, 10:53:20 PM
I really wish they would make a World of Darkness MMORPG. I could honestly see myself breaking my "no MMORPG!" rule for that, especially if they had dedicated RP servers.CCP, the makers of Eve, are now in some kind of deal with White Wolf. Eve is almost an opposite of WoW. All of the content is player driven, pretty much. Not to the point of Second Life, but what goes on the universe is 99.99% decided by who's doing what, at least in wild space. There are, of course, GM events and such.