PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Book 7 title announced

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:31:15 AM
J.K Rowling announced the title for title for the final book in the series today. To find it out you had to solve a puzzle on her site. Various Harry Potter sites though have the title now though and it is

Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/12/21/upotter121.xml
Man does that title sound dark although I am not sure what it means.
The only think associated with Hallow I know is sacred ground. Maybe it is how Harry can defeat Voldemort. it is the only thing I can think of.

Shawn
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:26:30 PM
In tarot, the hallows are the sword, spear, cup and pentacle. So the title probably refers to the Horcruxes.

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B000818XA0/sr=53-1/qid=1166728379/ref=tr_62701/104-9650344-1610365

I was underwhelmed by book 6, and I'm worried that things might get wrapped up a little too hastily in this last book.

Atreyu
Dec 21st, 2006, 07:26:52 PM
Actually, the title is:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

"Deathly", not "deadly" JMC. :)

What it means? No idea - I've been trawling MuggleNet the last couple of hours and reading all the weird and wonderful theories. Based on my experiences when Half-Blood Prince was announced, they're all going to be way off base anyway.

Anyway, here are the definitions of the words from Dictionary.com:

death·ly
–adjective
1. causing death; deadly; fatal.
2. like death: a deathly silence.
3. of, pertaining to, or indicating death; morbid: a deathly odor from the sepulcher.

–adverb
4. in the manner of death.
5. very; utterly: deathly afraid.

hal·low
tr.v. hal·lowed, hal·low·ing, hal·lows

To make or set apart as holy.
To respect or honor greatly; revere.

And from Wiktionary.com:
hallows
1. Plural form of hallow.
2. The relics of a saint or the shrines in which they are kept

(didn't have a definition of 'deathly')

So we appear to have something that holy or revered that pertains to death in some way. I agree with Shawn - probably related to the Horcruxes in some way.

Rutabaga
Dec 21st, 2006, 07:52:11 PM
The search for the Horcruxes is going to have to be one of the main focuses of the book. I'll spoilerize this just in case...I'm still convinced that Harry himself is one because of his scar, and if all the Horcruxes must be destroyed to kill Voldy once and for all, it might mean that Harry would have to die. And although it would be sad, I wouldn't put it past JK Rowling to kill Harry off, because then that would keep people from bugging her to write another book in the series for the next 50 years.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:58:09 PM
Actually, the title is:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

"Deathly", not "deadly" JMC. :)

What it means? No idea - I've been trawling MuggleNet the last couple of hours and reading all the weird and wonderful theories. Based on my experiences when Half-Blood Prince was announced, they're all going to be way off base anyway.

Anyway, here are the definitions of the words from Dictionary.com:

death·ly
–adjective
1. causing death; deadly; fatal.
2. like death: a deathly silence.
3. of, pertaining to, or indicating death; morbid: a deathly odor from the sepulcher.

–adverb
4. in the manner of death.
5. very; utterly: deathly afraid.

hal·low
tr.v. hal·lowed, hal·low·ing, hal·lows

To make or set apart as holy.
To respect or honor greatly; revere.

And from Wiktionary.com:
hallows
1. Plural form of hallow.
2. The relics of a saint or the shrines in which they are kept

(didn't have a definition of 'deathly')

So we appear to have something that holy or revered that pertains to death in some way. I agree with Shawn - probably related to the Horcruxes in some way.

Well I made a mistake there :p I didn't see that later part about the hallows being related to relics of saints. I am wondering if maybe we will be going to the tomb of one of the Hogwarts Founders or something. That could be what the Hallows stand for. Not sure what else it could be. It does have a very dark title though.

Darth McBain
Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:12:31 AM
I saw that yesterday. At first I thought that it sounded pretty bad for a title, but it's growing on me. I agree with Jinn that the Horcruxes will definitely factor into this book, and I also agree with her theory about Harry being a Horcrux himself. As to whether or not the Horcruxes are the Deathly Hallows, somehow I don't think so...

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:09:32 PM
I saw that yesterday. At first I thought that it sounded pretty bad for a title, but it's growing on me. I agree with Jinn that the Horcruxes will definitely factor into this book, and I also agree with her theory about Harry being a Horcrux himself. As to whether or not the Horcruxes are the Deathly Hallows, somehow I don't think so...

Well I think the Hallows means relic. I think relics of the Four founders as Voldemort seems obsesed with them for some reason. I think he wants all four and will try to get the Gryffindor sword in the last book.

Rutabaga
Feb 1st, 2007, 08:12:55 AM
I just heard this news on the radio and went searching for confirmation online...release date announced! July 21...just a few months away. So we'll get to gorge ourselves on Potter stuff in July, the movie and the last book! :)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16921850/

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:21:52 AM
Yep it should be a heck of a month. The Movie coming out a week before makes that two week period even more wild.

Darth McBain
Feb 1st, 2007, 03:46:39 PM
I'm there on the 21st... :)