PDA

View Full Version : Foxtrot Becoming A Sunday-Only Comic Strip

Rutabaga
Dec 6th, 2006, 08:54:29 PM
One of my favorite comic strips over the years has been Foxtrot, and I think there are other fans of the strip around here. At least, I hope there are! Anywho, I just caught this news online, and to me, it was a bummer...Foxtrot isn't totally going away, but it's converting to a Sunday-only strip. :cry

'FoxTrot' to Become a Sunday-Only Comic This Month

By Dave Astor

Published: December 05, 2006 11:15 AM ET

NEW YORK Bill Amend will turn "FoxTrot" into a Sunday-only comic starting Dec. 31 in order to devote more time to other creative pursuits, Universal Press Syndicate announced today.

Universal introduced Amend's daily/Sunday strip in 1988, and it passed the 1,000-newspaper mark in 1999. (Fewer than 20 comics have a four-figure client list.) "FoxTrot" stars the Fox family, including brainy 10-year-old Jason.

"After spending close to half of my life writing and drawing 'FoxTrot' cartoons, I think it's time I got out of the house and tried some new things," Amend said in a statement. "I love cartooning and I absolutely want to continue doing the strip, just not at the current all-consuming pace.

"I’ve been blessed over the years with a terrific syndicate, patient newspaper clients, and more support from readers than I probably deserve, and I want to assure them all that while I'll be now a less-frequent participant on the comics pages, I'll continue to treat my visits as the special privilege they are.”

Amend, who is in his 40s, could not be immediately reached for further comment.

"In addition to Sunday newspapers, we may see 'FoxTrot' entertaining us in other kinds of media platforms," said Lee Salem, president and editor of Universal.

Amend, a 2006 finalist for the National Cartoonists Society's Reuben Award as cartoonist of the year, has had more than 30 "FoxTrot" collections published.

Reruns of "FoxTrot" dailies will be available for Web usage.

What might replace the daily "FoxTrot"? E&P today received a copy of an e-mail that made it seem like Universal was offering Jan Eliot's "Stone Soup" comic to automatically succeed "FoxTrot" unless a newspaper editor requested otherwise.

The e-mail, from a Universal sales executive to a newspaper editor, was forwarded to E&P by a third party requesting anonymity. In the message, the Universal sales executive told the editor: "Unless we hear otherwise, 'Stone Soup' will begin to delight your readers January 1, 2007."

The third party forwarding the e-mail to E&P took issue with the sales approach -- calling it a "dubious" effort to "slip in" a comic. The third party said a newspaper editor, because of the busy holiday season and/or using a comics pagination service, might not get around to deciding whether or not to use "Stone Soup."

Universal, when asked for comment, said there's no syndicate-wide effort to have "Stone Soup" automatically replace the daily "FoxTrot." The syndicate added that its salespeople have flexibility in the way they sell features, and that this was "an isolated incident" that might have been influenced by previous e-mails or conversations between the sales executive and newspaper editor. Universal said several of its comics are being offered as possible replacements for the daily "FoxTrot."

It's going to be hard going without my daily dose of the Fox family's antics! :cry

Nathanial K'cansce
Dec 6th, 2006, 11:32:59 PM
FoxTrot is one of the only comics I read on a daily basis, the other being Dilbert.

I'll miss this daily dose of geekiness. :(

Jedieb
Dec 7th, 2006, 05:33:24 PM
During my freshman year in college I'd cut out Calvin and Hobbes cartoons and paste them to the door of my dorm room. By the end of the semester the entire door was covered. It was pretty damn impressive. After Watterson called it quits there was only one comic that even came close to winning my allegiance and that's Amend's Foxtrot. Every couple of years I buy Amend's latest big compelation. Just this week I bought his latest; Jam Packed Foxtrot. It's a sad day indeed. :cry

Park Kraken
Dec 7th, 2006, 09:24:13 PM
I read a lot of comics daily. Garfield, the one with Curtis Wilkins, Beetle Bailey, Foxtrot, Dilbert, Hagar, etc.

Rutabaga
Dec 10th, 2006, 09:54:56 AM
Some Foxtrot goodness from today:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res07tt5/foxtrotxmastree.gif

Zem-El Vymes
Dec 10th, 2006, 10:52:59 AM
I never really was into Foxtrot. They had some cute SW-themed comics on occasion, but usually their stuff wasn't particuarly funny. That's not singling them out, since everything in the newspaper funnies since Calvin & Hobbes left has been incredibly unfunny.

Morgan Evanar
Dec 10th, 2006, 07:10:16 PM
I never really was into Foxtrot. They had some cute SW-themed comics on occasion, but usually their stuff wasn't particuarly funny. That's not singling them out, since everything in the newspaper funnies since Calvin & Hobbes left has been incredibly unfunny.Bizzaro is sometimes histerical, but on the whole comics are so very weak. I get all of my funny from the internet now.

Byl Laprovik
Dec 11th, 2006, 12:14:20 PM
Yeah, the internet is where the really funny comics are now :) Perry Bible Fellowship, White Ninja, etc :)

Nathanial K'cansce
Dec 11th, 2006, 12:26:07 PM
Oh man, I forgot that white ninja existed!

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 11th, 2006, 05:23:21 PM
Pearls Before Swine (http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/pearls/) is my favorite currently in the newspaper. :D