PDA

View Full Version : From Russia with Love

Byl Laprovik
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:06:03 AM
Has anybody else been paying any attention to this hullabaloo involving the death of former KGB spook Alexander Litvenenko?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6190144.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6179074.stm

Apparently, Litvenenko had all sorts of beef with both Vladimir Putin and allegedly Russian Mafia, and had been living in the UK for about six years, acting as an open critic of Putin's regime. Recently, he's been digging into the murder of Anna Politkovskaya, who was a journalist critical of Putin's nasty campaign in Chechnya. That is, until gunmen broke into her apartment and shot her up.

Fast forward to less than a month ago, and Litvinenko was meeting an Italian contact at a sushi bar. Shortly after, he fell violently ill, and lingered for less than a month, before succumbing to a mysterious poison. It's now believed that the poison used was Polonium-210, a heavy isotope derived from lead/bismuth with significant radiological side effects. The signs point heavily in Russia's direction, whether it's Putin himself, one of his spook cabinet members, or even the Russian Mafia.

Mat Taibbi article (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/12674479/the_low_post_deadly_sushi_the_worlds_first_act_of_ nuclear_terrorism)

Now it turns out that Litvenenko had connections to another spook with even more beef on Putin, namely Boris Berezovsky. Berezovsky is rumored to have a politically-damning Kompromat File of very blackmail-worthy dirt on Putin, not the least of which is further implications that Vladimir is a pedofile.

Berezovsky isn't any manner of angel however. Apparently he was on the cozy to some degree with late Chechen warlord Shamil Basayev, and may or may not have attempted to transfer a radiological (dirty) bomb to the Chechens, an allegation that the current Chechen command denies heavily.

Where does this come full circle?

Such a dirty bomb would likely have used polonium-210 as it's active component.

While it isn't a smoking gun, it's certainly proving the whole "truth stranger than fiction" line.

Wait Alice. The rabbit hole gets deeper...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/11/29/russia.illness.reut/index.html

Former Russian Prime Minister, who championed economic reform counter to Putin, has contracted a "mystery illness" while in Ireland.

Welcome back to the era of Smiert Spionum. Death to Spies.

I'll be back after microwaving some popcorn. Das Vidanya!

Khendon Sevon
Nov 29th, 2006, 12:26:12 PM
Sounds like some sort of weird spy novel.

I actually expected this to be a, "Look! I picked up another WARSAW assault rifle!" :) Was excited for pictures...

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 29th, 2006, 12:55:48 PM
Putin is a nasty man. He is a dictator now. I am not sure if there is anything we can do, since it would just lead to another Cold War.

Byl Laprovik
Nov 29th, 2006, 02:54:13 PM
Sounds like some sort of weird spy novel.

I actually expected this to be a, "Look! I picked up another WARSAW assault rifle!" :) Was excited for pictures...

Soon, soon :)

I actually have some pending news on the Russian front that I'll hopefully be able to share in the next month or two.

Putin is a nasty man. He is a dictator now. I am not sure if there is anything we can do, since it would just lead to another Cold War.

We've been leaning toward the Cold War for the last year or so. I don't think there's anything that can be done while he's still in power.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 29th, 2006, 03:04:31 PM
Soon, soon :)

I actually have some pending news on the Russian front that I'll hopefully be able to share in the next month or two.

We've been leaning toward the Cold War for the last year or so. I don't think there's anything that can be done while he's still in power.
Well Bush hasn't acted like it. He has been kissing up to him for the last year or so. Of course that could be more of a public front.

Byl Laprovik
Nov 29th, 2006, 03:28:22 PM
We flubbed the USSR's fall so badly and stuck it in the ex-Soviets' craw to such a degree that there's been a huge amount of resentment for it. Bush complements Putin with one word, and condemns his human rights issues on another. It's a tricky deal. We've got to put up with his awful human rights record, but we also need him as a lynchpin against islamic terrorists, because the Russians have been slogging it out in Chechnya for years.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 29th, 2006, 04:08:36 PM
This whole story is crazy. Now they've found traces of radiation on at least two British Airways (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_us) planes.

British Airways has been advised that three of its Boeing 767 short haul aircraft have been identified by the UK government as part of the investigation into the death of Alexander Litvinenko.

The airline was contacted last night (Tuesday, November 28) by the government. It has taken the three B767s out of service to enable forensic examination to be carried out.

The initial results of the forensic tests, which was confirmed late this afternoon, has shown very low traces of a radioactive substance onboard two of the three aircraft.

British Airways has been advised that this investigation is confined solely to these three B767 aircraft, which will remain out of service until further notice.

British Airways understands that from advice it has been given that the risk to public health is low.

The airline is in the process of making contact with customers who have travelled on flights operated by these aircraft, which operate within Europe.

A list of flights affected are listed below.

Information is also available from the following websites
NHS Direct www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk (http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/)
Health Protection Agency Information www.hpa.org.uk (http://www.hpa.org.uk/)

Further information will be released as it becomes available.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 29th, 2006, 09:07:58 PM
I know it is scary. Also it sounds like the Russian Mob might be involved in this. There had been rumors for years that the Russian Mob has Putin in their pocket. And they have a lot of power over there. Most of them are the street and never get arrested.

Byl Laprovik
Nov 30th, 2006, 12:55:19 AM
Well, Litvinenko definitely had bad blood with the Mafia as it was. They're certainly capable of it. The thing that I don't get is if it was the Mafia, why the subtlety? Why go through the trouble of using Polonium isotopes, when you've got hitters in the UK who can just stroll up, put a bullet in his ear, and serve time? Polonium seems like the kind of thing you'd use to distance yourself from the deed. What does the Mafia suffer if the world knows it killed some ex-spook in London?

The FSB, cold-blooded as they are, still have to take care in choosing who to kill, and how to kill.

Terran Starek
Nov 30th, 2006, 04:49:15 PM
Really crazy stuff.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 6th, 2006, 04:30:25 PM
UPDATE: Its been ruled a murder.

dun dun dunnnnnn!

Byl Laprovik
Dec 6th, 2006, 04:36:41 PM
Putin's gone ahead and said that Russia will refuse any extradition to Britain. You know, just in case the killer is from Russia ;)

Just throwin that one out there, to be safe!