PDA

View Full Version : An Evening With Royalty

Victer Dejan
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:27:09 PM
Victer saw the suit as an investment. He not seen a need for one, as it would have made most of his clients think he was a snobbish prick. However, times had changed. He was to dine with the Queen of Onderon, a rather lucky string of events, and the trader needed to be properly clothed. He had selected the 2nd best tailor in Onderon, because he suspected they were actually better than the less conservative “best”. The designs were more common sense, better fitted for actual people, and the fabrics were less ostentatious. He ended up with a proper suit and shirt. The store was smart enough to make an alliance with a footwear vendor who sold extraordinary local leather. The shiny black shoes matched perfectly.

Now he smiled behind his menu and peered over at the Queen, who still wore some surprise that he had even been bold enough to ask this, and that she decided to stick with the bet. They were at one of the restaurants who vied for the title of best. It had the best wine list, and smelled equally to the others. Her guards floated around near by, with more than a few scattershot across the entrances. Even with the recent treaty, there was no reason for the Queen to be reckless. There were some in Iziz who did not like the idea at all. It would not be much of a stretch for someone to snap. Despite the guards floating around, the setting still was very much intimate, with no one else at the table but the two of them, and less than 5 feet of space separating. Her eyes began to rise, and his went back to the menu, considering what to eat.

Adraudia Basillie
Nov 26th, 2006, 02:17:05 PM
She assumed incorrectly that Victer would have their dinner meeting inside the Palace. The Captain had surprised her once again and told her that they would be having their meal at The Cuccini , which was simply the most divine restaurant in Iziz City. He certainly was doing his best to impress her and Adraudia had to secretly admit, he looked quite handsome. His roguish good looks complemented the suit he had chosen for tonight.

With the knowledge that she was heading out into public, Adraudia had decided to forego anything too incessantly formal. That was for affairs of state. She had dressed in white, her shoulders and arms bare, save for the stunning diamond necklace that hugged her neck, which had belonged to her mother. Her lustrous brown hair had been worn down with her tiara clasped firmly in place.

She stole a glance across the table so see if Victer had decided upon his evening meal, but he was still busy musing over the selections.

"Your Majesty." Their waiter had returned with two bottles of wine that had been order. She had quietly wondered why, but the Captain explained that no matter what was ordered, the complementary wine would be accounted for! His explanation was charming and it brought a smile.

"Captain." The waiter held out the first choice across his serving cloth and awaited approval. It was a Viognier, imported from Pantolomin.

Victer Dejan
Nov 26th, 2006, 09:24:51 PM
The proper fragrance wafted from the bottle when the cork was popped. Victer took a moment to smell, and when satisfied, nodded. “And I’ll have the bantha with sage, medium rare.” He wasn’t paying much attention when Adraudia ordered, beyond watching her move. She had a regal grace of movement most other royalty would beg for.

“Thank you for coming. I was expecting you to say no.” He said honestly.

Adraudia Basillie
Nov 27th, 2006, 02:52:38 PM
"I believe the Ithorian scallops and shrimp sounds simply delicious." She handed the menu to the waiter with a thoughtful smile. "Thank you."

Humbled, he bowed. "No thank you your Majesty for dining with us tonight."

As he departed, Adraudia's smile slowly faded. It delighted her to no end that her people treated her with such care because they wanted to, not because they felt an obligation to do so.

Then the dashing voice of Victer broke her musings. "Ah well, Captain Dejan," she said, unraveling the perfectly folded napkin to be placed on her lap, "What good is a Queen's word if she does not accept defeat and fails to keep her promises, no matter how minute."

Victer Dejan
Nov 27th, 2006, 08:02:44 PM
“One who could have easily cited demands of state or security concerns and asked me to think of something else, because as a foreigner, I was being entirely unreasonable.” Victer countered, but smiled.

He took her wine glass, and poured if halfway with the white and put less in his, as it did not suit his meal as well. He passed the Queen her glass, and took a sip of his. “I took the liberty of running some of your commerce department’s numbers, and I think that we can reach a beneficial agreement. Most of my contractors are in decently armed and shielded midsized cargo vessels. What I propose is different levels of service with different levels of risk, with some group rate discounts on certain common items, such as grains and maybe some other foodstuffs. We’d set 6 month trial rates, and then revaluate from both sides if we’re getting our monies’ worth. I’m not sure what you’re spending now, but I’m sure that I can offer something competitive.”

Adraudia Basillie
Nov 28th, 2006, 09:23:07 PM
"But is this not a matter of state that brings us here today?" It was her turn to counter graciously. "We are discussing business arrangements that will mutually benefit ourselves."

She smiled and took the wine glass back delicately and sipped as Victer began his proposal. The wine was magnificent and held a tempestuous flavor.

"Because of how isolated my world is my traders are currently offering 10 credits per kilo of weight. But what has caught my attention is how you spoke of varying risks. Could you expand on that?"

Victer Dejan
Nov 28th, 2006, 09:48:23 PM
“You have no navy, and you border a few different Pirate routes. The Greyheart Zikiz, for example, were interested in my shipment of wine. They weren’t expecting the ion cannons, though.” He said, and took a sip.

“Most of the vessels I run contracts to have varying degrees of armament and shielding, and some of the skippers were in the Merchant Navy in the Clone Wars. They’ll choose the job based on what they feel is tolerable risk and acceptable cargo density, along with what ship is best suited for which cargo. Some will run in a group. Some have grain accommodations. Your haulers compete to exist. Mine compete to make money. Locals are welcome to start in on the contract bidding, which has set minimums and maximums that are fair to both the haulers and the receivers. No one gets shortchanged unless they’re unlucky.” Victer explained.

“As for varying risk, some of the pirates have seen some of the vessels that contract out under me. They might run your route less.”

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 1st, 2006, 09:51:29 PM
Victer's last comment elicited a positive response from the Queen. The recent news that pirates had been invading her space and looting supplies made the Captain's proposal just that more alluring.

"It is no secret that Onderon's domestic problems have impeded our expansion of the stars. I am hoping that I change that soon, but until then you are correct. Without a navy it is difficult to deter pirates. The weapons you have at your disposal will help to discourage their interests."

Adraudia took a moment’s pause and sipped at her wine again. "So, Captain Dejan. You know what my needs are. Tell me, what do you want out of this arrangement with me?"

Victer Dejan
Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:47:16 AM
"I get a quarter of a credit per kilo, which is the standard on new ventures between myself and my contractors on new ventures. When volume ramps up, I dock it down to an eighth. I’d very much like a reasonable price on a new base of operations if things pan out over the next six months." Victer explained.

“I do have some concerns, though.”

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:03:17 AM
Moving to this part of the conversation didn't take quite as long as it normally did in the past. Dejan was quick with getting to the point, a trait the Queen appreciated. Much of the time, potential contractors always loved sweet-talk as a viable negotiating tool. She always found it amusing that they thought they were doing an excellent job in stroking her ego before dropping down their real desires. More money, exclusive trade rights and of course, stipends because of the danger. They quickly learned that Adraudia was no fool and were shown the door.

"What would those concerns be, Captain?" Their waiter returned with the first course; freshly chopped salad.

Victer Dejan
Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:08:41 AM
Victer frowned.
"You have no foriegn intelligence service."

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:24:09 AM
"Unfortunately over a thousand years of constant warfare has limited our ability to expand. Our limited resources have been funneled into protecting Iziz, running the spaceport and bringing in food and supplies. Our good relations with other worlds nearby have helped in bringing us news, but Onderon has yet given the opportunity to overhaul our communications network for galactic updates." She took the small dish and poured the sweet honey dressing over her salad. "However, priorities are changing quickly. I do not have a quick fix for your concern, but is there anything I can do to alleviate it?"

Onderon was not ready to change over night. Her world was used to war and being secluded. As a whole, the planet was several stages behind technologically and Adraudia didn't want to shock her people. She held their devotion and she would need to encourage them slowly that the changes coming are for the better.

Victer Dejan
Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:31:31 AM
"I'd be willing to provide a rudimentary system until Onderon is on it's feet. In some cases it might not be much more than a viable trade worlds list. In other cases, it could be much more complete and specific. It all depends on my sources."

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:38:17 AM
"That is understandable and appreciated. Is there a price for your generosity?" This was an opportune time to see how sincere Dejan was being. So far he had been on the up and up, and the Princess spoke highly of him, and he was a dear to watch over her while she was healing, but this was business. Money can make men do stupid things.

Victer Dejan
Dec 2nd, 2006, 12:37:32 PM
Victer smiled. Adraudia was not a fool, and, where unsure, cautious.
"Your ear, when I ask for it." A high price, for sure. It was quite possible she would say no.

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 2nd, 2006, 12:46:25 PM
The Queen dabbed at the side of her mouth where a smidge of dressing had sullied her face. "You make it sound so simple, but you must know that my duties cannot be thrust aside so my attention is solely directed towards your needs."

To be noble and accept his dare was one thing, but to allow the Captain the illusion he could snap his fingers for an audience was brash.

Victer Dejan
Dec 2nd, 2006, 12:51:46 PM
Victer coughed politely.
"I should clarify. If I have a message passed to you, it would at least be read. The power to demand an audience would be absurd." He agreed.

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 2nd, 2006, 12:56:42 PM
"Ah!" The clarification was met with a nod of approval. "That would be acceptable to me. As long as it is not abused, Captain. You did mentions concerns. What else troubles you about this arrangement?"

Victer Dejan
Dec 2nd, 2006, 01:10:56 PM
"They have been addressed." Victer smiled and took a sip of the wine.

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 2nd, 2006, 01:18:44 PM
Her brows raised with surprise. That was all? "Then we have a deal?"

Victer Dejan
Dec 11th, 2006, 09:13:12 PM
She was surpised, and in a positive way. He nodded slowly and lowered the glass back to the table. Fact of the matter was that he just had his way with her territory. Obviously he was in it for the money, and she had been taken (and refreshed, apparently) by his straightforward bearing. He was used to fighting harder for his bargains, so he, too, was surprised.

"Deal." Victer smiled, and the Queen smiled. He noticed the soups and salads had been served to the table while they had been negotiating. He took a spoonfull of soup, that had cooled to pleasantly warm.

"I am curious about you, personally."

"I do know that Razielle can talk you into some off-color things, but beyond that." Victer shrugged.

"I don't even know very much about Onderon."

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 12th, 2006, 07:21:21 PM
She slowly removed the spoon from her mouth as Victer mentioned off-colored things[/i]. The Queen cleared her throat and smiled somewhat irritated. It still bothered her that Captain Dejan knew what happened the night of the Masquerade but on the other hand, if not for him, things would have escalated further. To his credit, he had kept the incident to himself ... until now.

"For the record, that was the only, and dare I say last time, that such an out of character event will transpire." She sighed. "I was a fool in thinking that I could ignore who I really was ... Even for a short time."

The Queen caught Victer's eyes and was genuinely appreciative. "Thank you for your assistance. I never had the opportunity to say that to you."

Victer Dejan
Dec 12th, 2006, 07:27:03 PM
He grinned.
"But you had fun, for a little bit." Victer half shrugged again.

"What are a few secrets? Besides, while I think your populace would buy Razielle's participation, they'd probably laugh it off if you were implicated."

He leaned forward.
"But I dare say you have a more adventerous spirit than you let out." He said, barely above a whisper.

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 12th, 2006, 07:34:37 PM
Adraudia grinned back. The Queen could not deny it was fun pretending to be someone else for a short while, it was just the consequences that continuously nag at her when she thought back to that night.

She then laughed, having to put down her spoon before dropping the soup all over her lap. Victer was most assuredly correct about Onderon's reaction. The few times she had managed to make it into the tabloids, which was an impressive feat of utter drivel that was concocted by the publishers, was met with much mirth.

"I beg your pardon?" His last comment took her off guard and she too lowered her voice. "I'm not sure what you are implying Captain."

Victer Dejan
Dec 12th, 2006, 07:43:35 PM
"I am implying" Victer said, his voice still low, "that you would not be here if you had a far stronger sense of adventure than you let out. You are having dinner with someone who barely knows about your planet, led here by a string of nearly absurd coincidences involving someone else's sense of adventure." Victer flashed a rogueish grin and retreated to his soup and salad.

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 13th, 2006, 01:06:01 AM
If Victer only knew just how far her sense of adventure really went. However, his implications sounded of impractical nonsense, something quite far from the truth as her training with Callidus proved. The Queen did what she wished and if she did not wished to be here, then Victer would have received the cold shoulder back in Razielle's quarters.

Of course, there was that small part of her that was enjoying this, the same part of her that acquiesced to the Princess about the ball. But this was entirely different circumstance. It wasn't too often she was away from the Palace ...

"Perhaps there is some truth to your words. It is bold of me to be here with you to discuss business. Random happenstance aside, is that not what truly brought us here regardless, Captain?" She cut into her salad, which was so crisp that the lettuce practically snapped freshness. "Business about Onderon? Even admitting that you lack knowledge about my world, you most certainly did your research with your proposal. We have much to gain from one another, otherwise you would not have been as adventurous to even suggest meeting like this."

Which is yet another reason she had agreed. Adraudia could not think of anyone outside of her own personal inner circle that was as straightforward as Victer. She admired that and welcomed the change. Instead of ministers and members of the court dancing to her wishes, here was someone that was willing to treat her like a person in a respectful manner.

Victer Dejan
Dec 13th, 2006, 08:12:04 PM
Victer smiled.

“Of course.” He deferred to her, but he knew there was more than some truth to his words about her spirit. And he suspected she hid something, but this was not the time to pry into her about that. He still did not know Adraudia well enough for that.

She was entertained by the thought, though.

“So what is the business with the Maladorians? Isn’t this a major exception to the very long pattern of hostility?”

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 13th, 2006, 08:19:12 PM
"You word over a thousand of years of warfare so eloquently, Captain." The comment was not meant to be sarcastic, simple a statement of fact. The Queen smiled, but it was a troubled one. "A truce has commenced between Onderon and the Mandalorians. We are still in the early stages of working together amicably. There have been a few bumps in the road, but considering all things, the situation is working out well thus far."

Victer Dejan
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:18:19 PM
"I wouldn't expect such a truce to come easily for people. Ways that constant usually die prolonged deaths." Victor raised his glass.

"To that day."

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:57:11 AM
Victer was correct. Thousands of years of bloodshed are not easily forgotten on either side. It was only a matter of time before their uneasy truce was tested and that time was approaching quickly. All of the planning and forethought put into integration of Mandalore's people could not account for everything. Someone, somewhere was going to ignite a fight, whether in the shadows or for all to see, and the Queen knew that her people would be just as capable for such acts of hatred.

"To that day, Captain," She held up her glass and clinked it against Victer's with a soft smile to hide her troubled thoughts. She was thoroughly enjoying her time with him tonight and it was best worry about such affairs later.

Victer Dejan
Jan 2nd, 2007, 09:55:39 PM
They settled back down, when the live band finished their setup.

"Would you care to dance?" The Queen was well aware that he could dance. She smiled genuinely now: it turned from soft to warm. Victer stood and helped her out of the chair, as was considered to be polite on many worlds.

A string rang out, clear. The musician skillfully scaled the strings, exhibiting the instrument's range before settling down into the melody. The rest of the band joined in, first the singer, and then after the first words, the rest followed.

Was it more than attraction and a physical lust?
Her loins, my imagination, that first inconceivable touch,
That I was planning, er, I mean wishing, uh..
How embarassed I’d been if you knew what I was thinking of.

And whoa, when it started, my first thought was love,
Not just lust, because when I heard you speak, I felt warm.
In the evening I saw you, you were warming the bass up.
Your hair covered your face up,
I was acting indifferent at the merch booth, putting on makeup.

We met up at a party in a swamp on a yacht.
I spun the helm, but we were docked.

I crossed my fingers, but I didn’t beg,
Cause I knew you knew,
Cause I knew you knew I liked you.
I knew you knew I liked you,
I knew you knew it,
But I figured desperate guys,
Never had a chance with you.
I figured desperate guys,

Close to you, wishing we’re conjoined at the tongue.
Can you hear me thinking? I should stop...

I crossed my fingers, but I didn’t beg,
Cause I knew you knew,
Cause I knew you knew I liked you.
I knew you knew it,
Never had a chance.
I knew you knew it,

I figured desperate guys,
I knew that desperate guys,
Would never have a chance with you.
I knew you knew it.
I knew you knew it.
I knew you knew it.
I knew you knew it.

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 5th, 2007, 07:55:25 PM
The song caught the Queen off guard, but as the rest of the band chimed in with their instruments, Victer merely smiled and lead them into a slow dance, but not too slow. The song still had a bit of a beat to it.

His dark eyes held a twinkle of mischief that shook away her timid feelings. She held her gaze firmly to his, while all others present were fixated upon the two of them, not that either took notice. Even with such a handsome distraction before her, the words of the song filtered through and she grew warm and dizzy. Someone must be playing with the thermal controls. It was the only explanation for her sudden hot spell. Or perhaps the alcohol? Yes! Maybe a combination of the two?

That had to be it because it would be unthinkable to presume that it was for any other reason. Adraudia had noticed Captain Dejan's finer features on more then one occasion, one would be blind not too, but it was always a fleeting thought. Much like other handsome dignitaries that came calling that she and the Princess would remark upon, and sometimes dance with at social events. This was the same thing ... Nothing more!

Victer Dejan
Jan 6th, 2007, 02:35:09 PM
The band continued on with the rest of the set, but after the first song he led the Queen back to her seat. She looked rather flush. Victer decided to not push it.

Victer took his seat right after she did. For the first time, she looked slightly flustered. She smiled awkwardly, as if not sure what to think. Victer held is face to a pleasant smile, but he could not contain the twinkle in his eye. He would be patient, though. He had everything to gain.

He spent much of the rest of the meal getting glances from the Queen of Onderon, which was different, but he enjoyed it very much. They chatted about the future plans, whom to contact within her court for various things, during which she regained her composure, again becoming the Queen of Onderon instead of Adraudia, the young woman. In his gut, Victer suspected another, hidden side to the Queen, but he had no idea what it was. She was a complex individual.