PDA

View Full Version : Shadows in the Light (complete)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 25th, 2006, 11:51:25 AM
Sneaking out of a highly guarded room was not easy. It was fun, however. Not only was she guarded by Mandalorians inside her rooms, but outside the hotel the Ondoranian Royal Guard had been posted (an 'honor guard' but they looked like they meant business). Spending the night was part of her plan to earn the trust of the City people. The Mandalorians outside the gate had been talked to, and were camped just under the trees on the otherside of the enormous clearing that surronded Iziz's walls.

Wearing black, she crawled out the window and dropped lightly to the ground thirty feet below. The Force eased her fall, and she touched down almost as lightly as a feather. Evading the Royal Guard was simple enough, and getting into the Palace was almost laughably easy with the Force as her tool.

Locating his room was the hardest part, actually, but she didn't think that Salem Ave was a man who wanted to be taken by surprise. And she didn't want to take him by too much surprise. Lilaena crept outside his window on a bit of roof, and tapped lightly on the glass.

Salem Ave
Nov 25th, 2006, 12:05:44 PM
Within moments a shape appeared behind the curtain that kept out the starlight. One hand pulled the light fabric aside, almost completely, revealing to Lilaena the unashamedly naked figure of Salem Ave. His white eyes fixed instantly on the figure lurking, clung tightly to the wall, precariously outside of his windowpane.

He almost smirked – she had risked capture, run the guards and climbed all the way up the palace walls... only to knock? It was such an odd, and faintly disarming, display of courtesy. With his free hand he lifted the discreetly placed latch which kept the window closed and allowed one half of the glass, furthest from Lilaena, to edge outwards.

“Yes?”

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 25th, 2006, 12:10:00 PM
He kept his body in amazing shape. She was only distracted for a moment, however, though keeping eye contact with his boiled egg eyes was difficult with no center to focus on.

"Our agreement," she said. "For the first time in thousands of years, the Mandalorians fight Iziz no more. I trust you've made plans to hold up your side of the bargain."

Salem Ave
Nov 26th, 2006, 04:27:36 PM
Trust. It was an interesting choice of words. Salem moved away from the window, but remained faintly visible in the shadows.

“Of course. The time when we will be able to travel to Dxun fast approaches. Have patience.”

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 27th, 2006, 12:16:44 AM
Lilaena narrowed her eyes, and then boldly pushed the window wide enough to allow her to slip inside. She landed light on her feet, and remained just barely inside. He made no move to cover his nakedness in the mostly dark room, and she couldn't have cared less about his state of dress.

"I can see why you have stayed so close to the Queen. She is... a singular young woman." She offered him a half smile, almost a smirk, though Lilaena was not one who often felt smug. "I have a talent, and I can know when someone is sensitive."

Salem Ave
Nov 27th, 2006, 11:41:19 AM
“Indeed. Adraudia is unlike any student that I have had before... certainly the most humble, in spite of her position. Her righteous conviction in her people and city lends her great strength.”

The room remained in darkness. The Arkanians were known for their keen night-vision and so the absence of light was not a problem to Salem. He stood at the foot of his bed, looking out beyond Lilaena into the night.

“Her ability to maintain a level-head is what distinguishes her from most, from the likes of Dalamar. She does not allow her passion to control her.”

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 27th, 2006, 08:35:54 PM
She raised an eyebrow and sniffed at the mention of her former student. The Queen's humillity and self-righteous convictions had made her a prime target for the manipulations and teachings of Ave, while she had (perhaps foolishly) merely enflamed the passions of Dalamar and stretched his knowledge of the Force. In the end she had abandoned him in the middle of the night, unable to mold him to her liking. The Prime Minister was right - Dalamar was headstrong and thought with his heart, not his head.

"Dalamar's passion for the Queen deludes him now. If need be, she can always control him." Lilaena paused, adding, "I have slightly less authority with him than she does."

She found herself in another awkward position - waiting for a male authority figure to give her what she wanted. First Khendon, and now Salem. Khendon Sevon she had merely wanted to strangle, but she found herself wanting to impress Salem Ave, of all things. Surely the delivery of the Mandalorians had already done so. Lilaena shifted her weight from one foot to the other.

Salem Ave
Nov 28th, 2006, 07:39:31 AM
“He has always been something of a liability. The man has far too deep and dark a past... too many enemies seeking retribution, and willing to take it on Iziz. We can only hope that in time the Queen will abandon him as you did.”

There was a frankness to the way that Salem spoke, suggestive of his respect for Lilaena.

“Do you plan to teach any others?”

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 28th, 2006, 07:27:16 PM
She did not answer right away, unwilling to tip her hand to a superior sabacc player. But then, perhaps he already knew? His expression revealed nothing.

"I have recently taken on a student," she answered, "And he will be accompanying me to Dxun when the time comes." A trial by fire would refine or destroy him. Lilaena had no wish to waste her time with someone less than dedicated.

Salem Ave
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:46:47 AM
Salem had not initially planned to take either of his pupils to the Demon Moon, however in light of recent developments – particularly those concerning the possible alliance with the Hapans – he was beginning to reconsider. Everything was falling into place so neatly.

“I see. Is he an Onderonian?”

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 29th, 2006, 04:25:39 PM
"No." A pause. "He is... different. And very impolite, though I imagine you can be quite impolite yourself." Lilaena smiled faintly at that, a humid breeze coming in the window at her back and blowing the curtains slightly.

Then she found herself asking him questions. The trip to the Tomb was within her grasp, and she wanted to know everything about it. "Have you been to Freedon Nadd's tomb yourself?"

Salem Ave
Nov 30th, 2006, 10:58:46 AM
Salem noted the smile and for a moment wondered what she was taking humor from. “Yes. A number of times, though always alone. There is still much of the interior that I have not explored... I would imagine that some of the chambers may have been unseen for centuries. It's not something to be rushed, of course. The most valuable knowledge will be ascertained only through close, careful study.”

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 30th, 2006, 04:37:07 PM
Almost instantly she felt a stab of jealousy. He had been there a number of times. He'd explored the tomb, the holy grail of her search, and defiled it with his presence. Master A'na Eldhil would be angry that it had taken her this long to gain access. Who knew what valuable items or lessons were already out of her reach?

The thought of her old master caused Lilaena to pull the familiar brown cloak closer around her... except she wasn't wearing it. Her fingers plucked at the shoulders of her jumpsuit, and then she looked to the window. "I should go, before I am missed."

Salem Ave
Nov 30th, 2006, 05:11:55 PM
“As you wish.” Salem smiled in the dark and wondered if it had been something he had said that had caused the Jedi to feel the sudden need to bolt. He paced out into the dull-light once again, stopping by the open window. “Take care.”

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 30th, 2006, 05:23:39 PM
He was standing much closer now, and she looked up at him for a moment. Opaque eyes looked into green irises, and she straightened to face him boldly. Darth Callidus did not frighten her, and she was sure he knew it.

Without another word she turned and climbed out the window, disappearing into the night.