PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars video games.

Peter McCoy
Nov 20th, 2006, 09:36:45 AM
I can remember the first time I played a Star Wars game. Oddly enough, it was also the first time I heard about Star Wars. I was having dinner round at my mates house and he had a PC. After dinner we sat and played his various games - we had a laugh messing round on Sim City 2000 at first, but then he put on 'Rebel Assault 2'. I'd never heard of this game until then. I was amazed at how great it looked as he maneuvered the Millenium Falcon down the Death Star tunnel. Although not overwhelmed or hooked instantly, I thought it was a pretty good game, but that was it. I never bothered with Star Wars again until the special editions were released.

Actually, I tell a lie - that was my second SW game! Just remembered that my first Star Wars game was actually Dark Forces on the PS1. I really loved that game. Remember borrowing it off my cousin. I loved the level where you're in the Detention Center - all those blast doors and stormtroopers :)

Despite some of the great-looking games of recent times, like Jedi Academy and the once great Star Wars Galaxies, my absolute favourite Star Wars game has to be Star Wars Supremacy - or Rebellion if you live in the USA. I actually didn't think much of Empire at War. It's far too quick for my taste - I like to play games for hours, which is why I like Strategy games and RPG's I guess. EaW is over far too soon, whereas I can play Supremacy for hours on end, taking over system after system and turning it over to my side before moving on, eventually cornering the rebels with a mighty fleet of some 30+ ISD's with full TIE Defender compliments. Overkill, but thats the way I like to play :)

What were your first Star Wars games? What are the most memorable ones for you?

On a side note, I have X-Wing, TIE-Fighter and X-Wing vs Tie Fighter in a 2-disc box that my girlfriend bought me but haven't played them for lack of a joystick. But now that I've borrowed my mates to play X-Wing Alliance, I will be sure to check them out.

JMK
Nov 20th, 2006, 10:32:45 AM
The first star wars game I remember playing was the return of the jedi arcade game, the one where you get the overhead view of the speeder bike chase through endor.

After that it was some games on intellivision, coleco or atari, but I didn't actually own them or play them very much. The NES games I never got my hands on, but the SNES games I LOVED.

I had the rebel assault games which were fun and then I got the PS1 and PS2 games, most of which were fun, Bounty Hunter being my favorite. I never tried the Xbox games unfortunately.

Can't wait to see what the new generation of consoles bring though. :)

Alexander Bane
Nov 20th, 2006, 01:55:29 PM
My first SW game was Dark Forces. We played it as much as we could until, for a reason I can't remember, we did not have it anymore. Rebel Assualt was next and we played that one for years. Dark Forces II, Jedi Knight was released and from there I've played all the Jedi Knight games since then. Rebel Squadron on the N64 was a personal favorite, even if I could never beat it. My favorite SW game would probobly have to be either Dark Forces II, Jedi Knight or Jedi Knight: Academy.

And I concur with you JMK, I can't wait for what SW games the Next Gen systems will bring. Supposively LucasArts is working on a new SW game to be released in 07/08 that's going wide-scale force powers and a massively awesome physics engine combination to allow being able to do things like force pushing a whole legion of stormtroopers, instead of just one or two like we've been able to do in the previous games. w00t!

Mitch
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:24:41 AM
My first was X-Wing. I still can't believe how fun and addictive that game is.

Park Kraken
Nov 26th, 2006, 08:06:40 AM
My first game was probably Rebel Assault II. From there it was on to Star Wars: Force Commander (sucked), Star Wars: Rebellion (awesome strategy game. Envision 5 Super Star Destroyers, 10 Star Destroyers, 50 support ships, and like 25 squadrons of starfighters. *Drool*). Star Wars: X-wing, X-wing Balance of Power, and X-wing Alliance, KOTOR, KOTOR II, and Jedi Academy 2, and that's about it.

Peter McCoy
Nov 26th, 2006, 11:53:48 AM
Before the dreadful 'combat update', Star Wars Galaxies was such a joy to play. I spent hours developing my scouting skills. I still remember when I got that last box in survival and became a novice Ranger. Such a shame it went down the swany! :(

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:15:43 PM
I don't remember exactly which SW game I played first, but I have a suspicion that it might have been from the Jedi Knight series. My absolute favorite SW games have to the be Knights Of The Old Republic series. I like that they are so far removed from the timeline of the movies and majority of the other games. I also really enjoy the fact that there isn't so much emphasis on combat, since I'm usually fairly terrible at first-person-shooters or anything that requires more than a few clicks to queue up attacks. ^_^;

Peter McCoy
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:18:57 PM
I'll never forget the opening level of Jedi Knight - Kyle Katarn inside some seedy bar, being attacked by thugs. Then you go out into the streets and the place looks so run-down, its awesome. The music gives the visuals such a great atmosphere.

I remember another bit where you fall into this large body of water thats quite deep - I hated that part. Deep water scares me.

Ryan Pode
Nov 29th, 2006, 02:20:59 PM
I think my first Star Wars game was Empire Strikes Back for Atari 2600. The one where you were in the snow speeder and shot at the AT-ATs. I miss those days.

Aminn
Dec 11th, 2006, 11:18:54 PM
My first Star Wars game was Obi-Wan. It was lame because I barley got to play it. I really got into Star Wars games around Jedi Outcast came out. After that it went to Kotor I and II, to Star Wars Galaxies. I'm just waiting for the next captivating one. So far nothing has caught my eye.

Kale
Dec 23rd, 2006, 04:03:10 PM
Super Star Wars for the SNES. It was pretty standard action game fare. Most of the in-game action was only loosely related to the movie (blasting Jawas from your landspeeder, shooting your way through the Dune Sea and Mos Eisley, fighting the tractor beam boss). The jumping controls were maddeningly imprecise, and there was no save or password support, but it was really cool when you got your lightsaber for the first time. Unfortunately, no sooner did you have your saber than you had to fight the stupid Stormtrooper security drone boss.

I later got Super Empire Strikes Back and Super Return of the Jedi, too. :) Flying the Millennium Falcon through the Death Star II in all its 16-bit glory was sweet, even if the act of destroying the core was relegated to a cutscene.