PDA

View Full Version : How fast is a hyperdrive?

Peter McCoy
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:27:46 PM
I've been wondering for a while now about hyperdrives and the Star Wars Galaxy.

I remember a long time before the reset there was a general galactic map that had been edited to mark the various planets that were controlled by the factions here at SWFans. But I don't have access to that now, and I don't remember any distances being clarified on it.

So far, this is the most detailed and seemingly accurate map of the Star Wars galaxy I've found on the internet.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Modimapgalaxy1.jpg

I thought it might be a good idea if there was one recognised map that everyone could refer to, so that we're all on the same page as to where everything is. I'm up for discussing this of course.

Also, I've been searching for any information on hyperdrives - specifically hyperdrive speeds. As the movies tell us, the Millenium Falcon can make 0.5 past lightspeed. But I really want to know what that has to do with travel times. So far I haven't found any information relating to how long it takes a particular hyperdrive class to travel X number of lightyears. But that information, together with the above map, would really put things in perspective.

Again, I'm up for discussing this in the event that an official or at least accepted source is unavailable. Maybe SWFans could come up with their own set of hyperdrive speeds. Anyone interested please reply. As I said, this whole issue has bugged me for a while now - I'm frustrated my searching has turned up so little what with so much info out there!

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:43:28 PM
I seem to remember a while back, a couple of years ago maybe, we were trying to put together some concrete stats on this over in LD's study. I can't seem to find it at the minute, maybe someone else can, but I'm pretty sure we had a list of planets and how many days/weeks it would take to travel between them.

Peter McCoy
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:50:15 PM
That info would really help.

Even if we only had 1 flight time between 2 planets, along with the hyperdrive class, we could use it to determine how long other journeys would take based on their positions in the map I linked to.

Ira Yahff
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:50:57 PM
That would definately be a big info. If you ever can find it, hope you can post it up.

Vigilante
Nov 12th, 2006, 10:40:49 PM
One moment, let me access my files. ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 12th, 2006, 10:49:02 PM
http://meras.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4005

Courtesy of ReaperFett. :)

Rod Stafford
Nov 12th, 2006, 10:55:48 PM
Bloody hell, the man left a legacy behind!

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 12th, 2006, 10:56:26 PM
I miss him and his jokes. :cry

*moment of silence*

edit: i'm in process of adding that info to our Wiki: http://swfans.pbwiki.com/Days,%20Holidays,%20Travel%20Times

Ira Yahff
Nov 12th, 2006, 11:56:57 PM
So what would you say that our present time would be? I would like to work with one of those holidays in a RP, actually?

Peter McCoy
Nov 13th, 2006, 08:56:51 AM
That's the Holy Grail I've been searching for. It'll really help.

But it does render the above map useless in both distance and positioning. According to Fett's list, Coruscant to Dagobah takes 12 days and 14 hours, where Coruscant to Bespin takes 6 days and 14 hours. If you look at the detailed map I linked to, Dagobah (M 19) is certainly not twice the distance from Coruscant that Bespin (K 18) is.

Furthermore, according to the list, Dagobah to Bespin = 1 day, 3 hours. That does not make sense since the above information states that the difference between Bespin and Dagobah when travelling to Coruscant is 6 days.

By adhering to the list, you can go from Coruscant to Bespin in 6 days 14 hours. Then fly for another 1 day 3 hours and reach Dagobah. But if you then want to go directly to Coruscant it takes 12 days 14 hours. Makes no sense.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 13th, 2006, 10:27:00 PM
Well, it's a 2 dimensional map, and the galaxy is 3D. So that might account for it?

Milivikal k'Vik
Nov 13th, 2006, 11:11:15 PM
That and you can't take direct hyperspace routes.

Peter McCoy
Nov 14th, 2006, 03:19:01 AM
There's lots of variables I can't even begin to consider. A spiral galaxy, like the Milky Way, is wider and longer than it is deep, so although its 3-dimensional there's more 2-D properties to it in that sense.

Taking both possibilities into account, I can't begin to understand such a huge discrepancy as I've pointed out. I think I may just admit defeat and use my own judgement and calculations for my own roleplays.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 14th, 2006, 03:58:52 PM
You can't now, not now that you know the real times. :mneh

If you have specific questions about the 'validity' of the list that Fett researched and typed up, then try to catch him on AIM. ;)