PDA

View Full Version : Indy 4 delays? Blame Lucas says Darabont

JMK
Nov 10th, 2006, 10:56:09 AM
http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2006/11/07/screenwriter_blames_george_lucas_for_ind

Screenwriter Frank Darabont has blasted George Lucas for the delays behind the fourth Indiana Jones movie. The highly anticipated sequel was ready for filming back in 2004, but despite a script from Darabont that impressed director Steven Spielberg, the film's producer Lucas blocked the impending shoot - citing problems with the screenplay.

Speaking to Moviehole.net, director Frank Darabont says, "That was terrifically frustrating. I worked for over a year on that. I worked very close with Steven Spielberg. He was ecstatic with the result and was ready to shoot it two years ago. He was very, very happy with the script and said it was the best draft of anything since Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

"Lucas read it and said, 'Yeah, I don't think so, I don't like it.' And then he resets it to zero when Spielberg is ready to shoot it that coming year, (which) is a real kick to the nuts. You can only waste so much time and so many years of your life on experiences like that, you can only get so emotionally invested and have the rug pulled out from under you before you say enough of that."

Maybe uncle George didn't see enough opportunity to add in superfluous computer effects, or maybe he saw much good dialogue.

Come on George, let the guys who have proven for decades that they can write GREAT scripts do their thing. You give them your money and reap it down the road.

Yog
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:03:40 PM
That is so typical George. He acts like some kind of guru who knows everything about what people want to see. This also relates to the other topic about him predicting the death of movies.

You have arguably the most succesful and critically acclaimed director of motion picture history saying the script is brilliant, and George just says "nah, I dont like it. Stuff it".

JMK
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:44:30 PM
It's not right at all. Of course, if GL is the executive producer, it's his money that is financing the movie...in the end I guess it's his call, but I can't help but think that Spielberg gets a say somewhere in there.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:33:56 PM
Actually, I hope it never gets made. Harrison Ford is way too old and his age is showing. He looks like he is almost 70. Eastwood looks in better shape. Besides Last Crusade ended the series perfect for me.

Figrin D'an
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:48:38 PM
Actually, I hope it never gets made. Harrison Ford is way too old and his age is showing. He looks like he is almost 70. Eastwood looks in better shape. Besides Last Crusade ended the series perfect for me.

I completely agree. If Indy 4 was to be made, it needed to happen 10 years ago, when Ford wasn't showing his age as badly, the possibility of bringing in actors from the previous films was greater, and Uncle George could be more easily swayed by Spielberg.

This project was doomed the moment it was announced. I'm sure the script that Darabont penned is great, but given that it'll never see the light of day now because of Lucas, this whole venture needs to be canned. Let Indiana Jones live on in the three existing films and be done with it.

JMK
Nov 10th, 2006, 09:53:10 PM
I'm starting to think that's exactly what will happen. Part of me wants that series to live on, but that sort of thinking will lead me to have a pony tail when I'm 55 years old. (Not that I have one now or ever did have one).

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:17:32 PM
I'm starting to think that's exactly what will happen. Part of me wants that series to live on, but that sort of thinking will lead me to have a pony tail when I'm 55 years old. (Not that I have one now or ever did have one).

I suppose they could go with the James Bond approach and have different actors play Indy. I personally don't think that would work there though.

JMK
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:28:04 AM
I would completely boycott that approach. Ford is Jones, and that's where it begins and ends, IMO.

Darth McBain
Nov 14th, 2006, 11:01:23 AM
Gotta agree with you there, JMK - for better or worse, Ford is Indy... To be honest, I'm only lukewarm about this project - Ford is just too old to pull off a convincing Indy anymore - and Last Crusade was a great way to go out on the series. I wouldn't be sad if they just left this one alone.

As for George turning down the script, I think he should put a little more trust in his writers. Its not like Lucas' writing is the best in the world. Of course he can and should have some creative say in the writing efforts, but to completely veto a script doesn't sound right. On the other hand, maybe it's just someone else using the notoriety of the prequels' to take yet another shot at Lucas - when all else fails, blame George...

Jedieb
Nov 26th, 2006, 03:19:52 PM
If only there had been someone to put a stop to TPM when that script was turned in... ;)

I'm sorry, but as soon as Spielberg says the script is good, that should have been enough for GL. What the hell was he looking for, a role for Jake Lloyd or Ahmed Best?

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 26th, 2006, 04:06:17 PM
I still say they should kill the project. I think this movie is going to be a huge joke. Harrison Ford's career sure has hit bottom.

JMK
Nov 28th, 2006, 11:07:27 AM
He really hasn't made great choices, has he? Since the Fugitive he hasn't really had a great role.

In that context, could Indy 4 be any worse of a decision? It either lets him slip further, or it resurrects his career.

I look at a guy like Sean Connery, who did some pretty decent physical work in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I think if Ford gets in to good enough shape, he can do it one last time but the clock is ticking.

I just hope that GL isn't tinkering with the script and making it like the prequels. He just made them so effect-centric that everything else like dialogue, development, cohesive plot all fell by the wayside.

Eb is bang on - the moment Spielberg said OK, that should have been enough.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 29th, 2006, 12:20:34 AM
Indiana Jones though isn't the role he needs. Look at his choices since his last hit Air Force One
Six Days Seven nights- It made 74 million. I wouldn't call it a hit or flop, but it was a critical miss and did just okay
Ramdom Hearts made 31 million, now this was a flop and a horrible choice for him.
What Lies Beneath- Now this was a hit and I forgot about it it made 155 million. I think I forgot about it because he played a villain which I didn't like.
K-19- 35 million, a huge flop, it cost over a 100 million to make. It was a also a bad choice. A Russian commander was just not the role for him.
Hollywood Homicide 30 million, probably his worse part in like 15 years. This movie was horrible and he did a horrible job in it, IMO.
Firewall 48 million, again didn't work at the box office.
His problem is he keeps choicing bad parts. He needs to try to do serious drama movies. He defintely can't do action any more. I guess he could do comedy but get some better scripts.

JMK
Nov 29th, 2006, 09:09:19 AM
Indiana Jones though isn't the role he needs. Look at his choices since his last hit Air Force One
Six Days Seven nights- It made 74 million. I wouldn't call it a hit or flop, but it was a critical miss and did just okay
Ramdom Hearts made 31 million, now this was a flop and a horrible choice for him.
What Lies Beneath- Now this was a hit and I forgot about it it made 155 million. I think I forgot about it because he played a villain which I didn't like.
K-19- 35 million, a huge flop, it cost over a 100 million to make. It was a also a bad choice. A Russian commander was just not the role for him.
Hollywood Homicide 30 million, probably his worse part in like 15 years. This movie was horrible and he did a horrible job in it, IMO.
Firewall 48 million, again didn't work at the box office.
His problem is he keeps choicing bad parts. He needs to try to do serious drama movies. He defintely can't do action any more. I guess he could do comedy but get some better scripts.

I thought his character in 6 Days 7 Nights was a good one. It was a decent movie, but not great. I think he tried to stretch his boundaries in K-19, but failed. People wouldn't accept Ford as a commie. He's Han friggin Solo! Indiana Jones!
His action sequences in Firewall were not too bad either, and that was just last year.
The rest were awful though. He needs to get better scripts, and get better advice on which parts to take.

Yog
Jan 1st, 2007, 09:01:37 AM
Breaking news update! Indiana Jones IV script finally gets green light, and not a minute too soon...

Shooting starts in 2007. Lucas, Spielberg and Ford are all ready.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/01/georgelucas.indianajones.ap/index.html

BEVERLY HILLS, California (AP) -- George Lucas said Friday that filming of the long-awaited "Indiana Jones" movie will begin in 2007.

Harrison Ford, who appeared in the three earlier flicks, the last one coming in 1989, is set to star again.

Lucas said he and Steven Spielberg recently finalized the script for the film.

"It's going to be fantastic. It's going to be the best one yet," the 62-year-old filmmaker said during a break from preparing for his duties as grand marshal of Monday's Rose Parade.

Exact film locations have not been decided yet, but Lucas said part of the movie will be shot in Los Angeles.

The fourth chapter of the "Indiana Jones" saga, which will hit theaters in May 2008, has been in development for over a decade with several screenwriters taking a crack at the script, but it only recently gained momentum.

Lucas kept mum about the plot, but said that the latest action flick will be a "character piece" that will include "very interesting mysteries."

"I think it's going to be really cool," Lucas said.

At the inaugural Rome Film Festival in October, the 64-year-old Ford said he was excited to team up with Lucas and Spielberg again for the fourth "Indiana Jones" installment. Ford said he was "fit to continue" to play the title role despite his age. (Gallery: Harrison Ford's career)

Ford played Indiana Jones in 1981's "Raiders of the Lost Ark," 1984's "Temple of Doom" and 1989's "The Last Crusade."

Lucas praised Ford for breathing life into his character.

"Mostly it's the charm of Harrison that makes it work," he said.

Figrin D'an
Jan 1st, 2007, 11:29:43 AM
I'd like to know if this script that was decided upon is close to what Darabont wrote or if it is a complete rewrite... and if it is a complete rewrite, who penned it.

It's Indy, so I'll see it of course. I'm still very skeptical at this point though.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 1st, 2007, 02:08:54 PM
I'd like to know if this script that was decided upon is close to what Darabont wrote or if it is a complete rewrite... and if it is a complete rewrite, who penned it.

It's Indy, so I'll see it of course. I'm still very skeptical at this point though.

I am the same way as you I am very skeptical though I will probably go see it.

Darth McBain
Jan 1st, 2007, 10:58:40 PM
I think this will be good - not great, but good enough to merit going to see it in the theaters... I'm in...

JMK
Jan 2nd, 2007, 09:47:49 AM
I'm definetly going to see it, I'm just very scared. I'll be so angry if Lucas over-cgs this movie too.

Darth McBain
Feb 9th, 2007, 10:33:30 AM
From SW.com

Star Wars fans have long thought of May as the birth-month of their beloved saga, and in 2008, they'll be welcoming a globetrotting archeologist to the party. While May 2007 marks the 30th anniversary of Star Wars, May 2008 marks the return of Indiana Jones in the fourth feature film reuniting Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford and George Lucas. Paramount has just announced the worldwide release date of Indy 4, so mark your calendars now: Thursday, May 22, 2008. Stay on top of the latest Indy announcements by checking out indianajones.com.

There's a date now... I'm not sure if I'm excited or not by the prospect of this, but depending on the angle they go with I think it could work. I'm sure I'll end up seeing it in the theaters...

Figrin D'an
Mar 18th, 2007, 12:49:12 AM
So, it's be reported that Cate Blanchett is in negotiations to star opposite Ford.

I'm rather curious about the role she would play (beyond the obvious). Love her as an actress, just wondering what this means in regards to the direction the film will be taking.

Yog
Mar 18th, 2007, 11:11:53 AM
So, it's be reported that Cate Blanchett is in negotiations to star opposite Ford.

I'm rather curious about the role she would play (beyond the obvious). Love her as an actress, just wondering what this means in regards to the direction the film will be taking.

Cate Blanchett joining the cast can only be a good thing. I am also a big fan of her. Probably, she will play the female "sidekick" / Indy's love interest as in the previous movies.

JMK
Mar 19th, 2007, 11:36:37 AM
She could also be like Elsa in The Last Crusade and be a double-crossing wench! Either way, she will bring some credibility to the cast. People are going to look at this movie the same way they looked at Rocky Balboa - that an aging actor is going a little too far with his role. Hopefully, like Rocky Balboa, everyone will be pleasantly surprised.