PDA

View Full Version : 30th Anniversary set to include all 6 movies

Shawn
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:52:51 PM
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Star_Wars_30th_Anniversary_DVD_Set_Confirmation_10 0566.asp

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6553/titlehungryhungryhorseshp5.gif

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:29:47 PM
I couldn't find where it said that the DVD set would include all 6 movies in that link. :huh

Shawn
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:34:03 PM
Sorry, I should have been more clear. There's been rumors of a 30th anniversary set that would include all 6 movies, and this is official confirmation that it's coming next year.

I suppose it's still possible that it's just the OT again, but that wouldn't make much sense.

I wonder if they'll fix the "mistakes" from the previous release. Either way, I'm waiting for an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray set.

Yog
Oct 5th, 2006, 03:13:08 AM
Yeah, it makes no sense to go for a 6 movie DVD set, when most of us allready got the DVD's, and the blue rays are going to be much higher image quality and probably richer on extras.

Titus Aelius Malleolus
Oct 5th, 2006, 07:34:02 AM
Isn't Blu-Ray/HD DRM filled though?

Yog
Oct 5th, 2006, 09:50:21 AM
I seriously doubt DRM is going to stop people from backing up / copying their legitimately bought copies on blue ray, no matter how sophisticated the encryption technology is claimed to be. The entertainment industry has tried various schemes for decades and every single time, it was hacked or worked around.

Besides, if I am not mistaken, blue-ray media will allow for analogue output for a very long time until they make it HDCP only. Hollywood does not want to anger people who spent thousands of dollars on fancy HDTV plasma / LCD screens one or two years ago, which frequently did not have the required DVI/HDCP input which is standard today.

I am not sure what the situation is with HD-DVD, but I imagine thats going to be even more convenient to copy / encode in xvid and what not.

JMK
Oct 5th, 2006, 04:34:41 PM
Didn't we predict a 30th anniversary box set in these forums? I'm not surprised at all, and for all those who say they won't buy it - I suggest waiting until you see which extras & collectibles they toss in with it to make it that much more tempting. I think I'll be able to resist but it will be hard. I'm also holding out for whatever HD DVD/Blue Ray release comes.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 5th, 2006, 09:52:42 PM
It better come with Ewan McGregor included. :shakefist

JMK
Oct 6th, 2006, 07:27:47 AM
Well I don't know about that, but if he starts now maybe they can include fingernail clippings and one can be included in each box set. Good enough?

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 7th, 2006, 06:09:02 PM
Am I allowed to use said fingernail clippings to create a Ewan McGregor clone?

JMK
Oct 9th, 2006, 06:40:20 PM
No. No cloning allowed, except if you're cloning Natalie Portmans for all of us.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2006, 09:40:07 AM
Well it doesn't surprise me, but all the studios do this stuff. New Line did this with LOTR, very recently.

Yog
Oct 12th, 2006, 12:44:51 PM
I found this article an interesting and entertaining read, relevant to this thread. It discusses all the different technical standards (like HDCP etc), and how consumers continously get ripped off buying the same media on different technology platforms and have to deal with all kinds of differents standards:

http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006/10/07/alphabet_soup/1.html

So, if all of this is so confusing and is such utter rubbish, why do we want it? Who concocted such a brilliant scheme, and why? None other than my absolute favorite acronym, the MPAA. If you can't make new, interesting content, offer some old stuff in a new box! To be fair, it worked for George Lucas with Star Wars...and before you laugh, I bet you have the "Digitally Remastered THX Box Set" on your shelf right now, don't you? Uh-huh. Thought so.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 12th, 2006, 06:27:16 PM
No. No cloning allowed, except if you're cloning Natalie Portmans for all of us.

That sounds like a lot of work. :x

JMK
Oct 13th, 2006, 08:08:31 AM
That sounds like a lot of work. :x

Well if it sounds like a lot of work, that's because it is....but it will be SOOOOOO worth it.

Jedieb
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:09:37 PM
One of the reasons I actually said no to the recent unaltered OT releases was because I knew this anniversary set was on the horizon. The eventual Bluray release was another reason. As for the market, they'll always be a market for these films. Hell, my son has just about torn up my SW DVD's. The next big set that comes around is mine and mine alone. :duel

JMK
Nov 1st, 2006, 09:13:36 AM
If there was one question I could have answered, it would be "How many more releases can we look forward to." There's a 30th anniversary set next year to coincide with the new tv show. I'm sure they'll have something for 2009 for TPM's 10th anniversary which will coincide with his second tv show somehow. I'll bet that in 2009 we get all 6 movies rereleased in to theaters with more changes, and then another box set in 2010 or something to that effect.