PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Movie Moment, week 1

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 9th, 2006, 08:30:39 PM
We all have them - the moment in a movie where it is just so incredibly awesome that chills run down your arms and up your back. Just listening to the music can take you back there, to the first time you saw it.

Here are a few to choose from, but I'm sure that everyone will have a different one, so I can't possibly put them all into the poll. :)

If you want to choose OTHER, just post the movie moment you love the most.

edit: I'm going to take Mu's suggestion and run this as a ten week playoff for movie moments. So keep suggesting moments that aren't in this list!

Ryan Pode
Sep 9th, 2006, 08:32:00 PM
Not seeing a poll? But I always get goosebumps at the end of Unbreakable, when you know hes a superhero and he's about to go off on the criminal. It's very exciting.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 9th, 2006, 08:47:59 PM
I think you must have it hit before you selected poll or something.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 9th, 2006, 08:57:23 PM
No, it took me this long to fill in all the options I wanted for the poll. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 9th, 2006, 08:59:59 PM
I would have put the Star Destroyer coming on the screen in ANH but that is just my opinion.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 9th, 2006, 09:04:16 PM
Ahhh, that's another good one. If I can figure out how to edit I'll stick it in instead of the Gladiator one.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 9th, 2006, 11:04:55 PM
Ahhh, that's another good one. If I can figure out how to edit I'll stick it in instead of the Gladiator one.

Cool but after I made my vote heh. I would have picked that one.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 9th, 2006, 11:36:39 PM
I can change your vote too, I am uber. ;)

Jedieb
Sep 9th, 2006, 11:48:09 PM
I've got three from Casablanca that quickly come to mind;
the French anthem scene at Rick's
Bogart getting hammered after he's seen Isla
the finale at the airport

Casablanca and Empire, my all time favs.

Rod Stafford
Sep 10th, 2006, 04:03:17 AM
From that list, without a shadow of a doubt, the brachiosaurus scene from Jurassic Park. It's ironic it's in that list because everytime I see it I say to myself: "That has to be one of the greatest moments in movie history". It's pure movie magic.

That said, it is my second choice for greatest movie moment of them all, my first would be the helicopter rescue sequence from Superman: The Movie.

Park Kraken
Sep 10th, 2006, 04:53:27 AM
I can think of a few great moments in movie history. Seeing the Scottish Army mooning the British one, and one of the mooners forgets to duck under a shield, Braveheart is one.

I voted for the Darth Maul apperance in Episode I. Coming in a close second for me would be the LotR: RotK scene mentioned.

sirdizzy
Sep 10th, 2006, 02:58:41 PM
of the list you gave I voted for the maul entrance because that always gives me goosebumps. Hes looking down and he looks up and he has the look in his eyes like its on mother f%$*ers, takes the robe off and you know your in for some awesomeness

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 10th, 2006, 04:29:31 PM
I can change your vote too, I am uber. ;)

Cool thanks :) I am surprised it isn't winning. Probably the other two star Wars moments spliting the vote.

Zereth Lancer
Sep 10th, 2006, 06:40:48 PM
E.t.! E.t.! E.t.! E.t.! E.t.! E.t.! E.t.! E.t.! E.t.! E.t.! E.t.! E.t.! E.t.!!!!!!!!!

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 10th, 2006, 08:22:54 PM
I voted Jurassic Park. The combination of the music and the dinosaurs gives me goosebumps every time :)

Fiona Devlin
Sep 11th, 2006, 06:55:10 AM
The Charge of the Rohirrim. I was in full garb in the theatre, and leapt up and shouted the battle cry with them. :cat

Liam Jinn
Sep 11th, 2006, 07:12:26 AM
You know, the more I think of it - I'm a little hurt that there's no ghostbusters on that list. Slimer charging Peter is a classic, as well as every other minute of that movie!

JMK
Sep 11th, 2006, 07:22:35 AM
"Ray....next time someone asks if you are a god....you say YES!"

:lol

Liam Jinn
Sep 11th, 2006, 07:24:21 AM
"Alright, this chick is TOAST!"

Classic I tell ya :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 11th, 2006, 07:39:12 AM
With only ten choices there's only so much you can put into a poll. ^_^;

Liam Jinn
Sep 11th, 2006, 08:10:50 AM
And Ghostbusters should've been one of 'em :p

Father Barton
Sep 11th, 2006, 08:44:54 AM
Yoda's entrance simple because of one of my friends lines when yoda walked in. "man its amazing what he can do when you take frank oz's hand out of his butt."

Although I have to say the most powerful scene I have ever seen was in american history X. It was both sad and powerful. I won't give it away though you have to watch it and you will know what scene I'm talking about.

Also the seen in signs where you see the aliens for the first time is pretty dang cool too.

Xel-Naga
Sep 11th, 2006, 04:30:13 PM
Yes, but you have two Star Wars and LotR moments in there. I think there should only be one for both of those. Because then Ghostbusters could be added, along with the ROUS jumping on to Westley in The Princess Bride.

Oriadin
Sep 11th, 2006, 05:26:13 PM
Definitely Dave Kujan looking at the wall at the end of the Usual Suspects. Absolute class.

Rod Stafford
Sep 11th, 2006, 06:17:06 PM
Definitely Dave Kujan looking at the wall at the end of the Usual Suspects. Absolute class.

That's definately another one. What a moment.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 11th, 2006, 06:26:13 PM

Ooh yeah, that's an excellent moment. :D

Yes, but you have two Star Wars and LotR moments in there. I think there should only be one for both of those. Because then Ghostbusters could be added, along with the ROUS jumping on to Westley in The Princess Bride.

Everyone's a critic. ;) Plus, I can't remember every special moment in every movie. I put up the 10 I thought of first.

Next time I'll ask people to nominate favorite moments and then put up the ten best, ok? :p

Mu Satach
Sep 11th, 2006, 07:33:36 PM
That's why, you then have a poll play off... ten weeks, with movie moment madness and then force everyone to choose from the 10 winners for the ultimate movie moment. >=}

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 11th, 2006, 08:12:06 PM
Ah, that would work! :D

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2006, 08:29:54 PM
That's why, you then have a poll play off... ten weeks, with movie moment madness and then force everyone to choose from the 10 winners for the ultimate movie moment. >=}

That sounds like a fun idea.

Zasz Grimm
Sep 11th, 2006, 08:36:06 PM
In Eye Of The Beholder, with Ewan McGregor, whenever he goes after that guy who was attempting to rape Ashley Judd/ doping her up. Brass Knuckles in hand, the door opens- you know what happens.

But for the selection at hand, IMO, Maul hands down. Especially with the growl pre-attack.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2006, 10:44:30 PM
As for suggestions (I will think of more). Being a Potter fan I am going to nominate the return of Voldemort. That is the only scene in that series so far that really qualifies. Tomorrow I might nominate some more. I just need to think heh.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 12th, 2006, 07:30:43 PM
I think I'm going to run five weekly polls and take the top two finishers from each and do the end poll from those. :) That way it won't take as long, and we'll only have to come up with 50 movie moments instead of 100.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 12th, 2006, 07:41:34 PM
I have some suggestions
Psycho-The famous Shower scene
The Godfather-Horses head in the bed
Michael killing Barzin and Police Captain
Planet of the Apes-Statue of Liberty in the sand
Empire Strikes Back- "I am your father"
Back to the Future- The scene where Doc Brown helps Marty get back to 1985 (when the clock gets struck by lighting)
Field of Dreams: when Kevin Costner see his Father at the end of the movie.
I tried to think of one memoriable scene from Silence of the Lambs, but I can't pick one from that movie.

Rod Stafford
Sep 12th, 2006, 08:27:54 PM
Empire Strikes Back- "I am your father"

That's the winner.

Peter McCoy
Sep 12th, 2006, 08:28:48 PM
I voted for the Jurassic Park one, but there's loads more I'd put in the bracket...

A definite one is in Jaws when Brody is shovelling the fish guts and raw meat off the back of the boat and the shark suddenly appears for a split second. Brody then backs off, awe-struck, into the cabin and says to Quint - 'You're gonna need a bigger boat.. I've put that in spoiler tags becase although its a film most people would have seen, I'd hate to ruin it for the few who might not have. Its one of my all-time fave films and another viewing is long overdue.

Some others...

Silence of the Lambs - when you first see Lecter in his cell, standing straight in the centre of his room - God, that gave me shivers.

Also - in Aliens when Hicks checks the ceiling crawlspace and finds the aliens - like cockroaches! Or at the end when the queen emerges from the the dropship.

Usual Suspects scene is a great one too.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 12th, 2006, 09:31:26 PM
I like the scene in Garden State where they get up on the bulldozer and scream into the abyss in the rain. :D

Oriadin
Sep 13th, 2006, 04:05:58 AM
How about the scene when Neo walks through the metal detector in the Matrix and is asked to remove any metalic items?

Peter McCoy
Sep 13th, 2006, 05:48:20 AM
As cool as that was, I personally wouldn't class it as a movie magic moment.

Rod Stafford
Sep 13th, 2006, 06:02:26 AM
The bullet stopping scene at the end of The Matrix is definately a moment for me.

Oriadin
Sep 13th, 2006, 06:04:33 AM
As cool as that was, I personally wouldn't class it as a movie magic moment.

Yeah, but its favorite movie moment, not movie magic moment.

I would also add the electrocution in Green Mile

Rod Stafford
Sep 13th, 2006, 07:33:32 AM
Ok, if we're going to do this, we're going to have to use spoiler tags. There are plenty of old films out there that I haven't yet seen but intend to and I don't want it spoiled for me.

As such, when the time for the next poll comes along, could it be structured with the title of the film first so if you haven't seen it, you can stop yourself from reading on ahead and spoiling the film for yourself, eg.:

Reservoir Dog - the scene in which Mr. Blonde cuts someone's ear off.

This would be much appreciated.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 13th, 2006, 08:16:14 AM
Well, I suppose it could be structured like that.

You're so demanding. ;)

Morgan Evanar
Sep 13th, 2006, 04:24:17 PM
Big Chris attacking the guy who tried to hold him and his son up in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

Oriadin
Sep 13th, 2006, 05:17:35 PM
Oh no. Snatch with Desert Eagle .50 :D

Liam Jinn
Sep 13th, 2006, 05:41:59 PM
Ghostbusters - when the stay puft marshmellow man showed up :)

Or the first bit in the library...

Everything about that movie is great :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 16th, 2006, 05:06:31 PM
New poll up. Still no ghostbusters in it! Next one will have GB in it, I promise. :)