PDA

View Full Version : After Me Comes The Flood

Kassandra
Sep 6th, 2006, 05:27:54 PM
Cumbria, Britannia - 86 AD

The wind howled across Great Dun Fell. With the onset of a nightfall a storm had come; a deluge of rain that turned the dirt into bogs of turbid mud. At the foot of the westerly verge, a cluster of trees provided shelter from the cold, their age-old roots emerging from the mire like giant oak fingertips, within whose grasp a body lay cradled. On her water-logged bed of leaves, Fiona was shaded from the eye of the storm, but not from the eye of the figure that stood over her, sword in hand.

Fiona
Sep 6th, 2006, 05:35:03 PM
:: Fiona looked up wild-eyed, overwhelmed by the strange sensation that washed over her before the strange woman's appearance. She clutched her hunting knife and crouched defensivley as she stared into the woman's eyes warily ::

Kassandra
Sep 6th, 2006, 05:40:47 PM
There was a hint of a smile on the womans lips, the kind of smile evoked by the sight of a child making a new discovery.

“Don't be afraid, Fiona. I'm not going to hurt you.”

Fiona
Sep 6th, 2006, 05:48:21 PM
:: Astonishment fell over Fiona's face. She still held the hunting knife, but spoke to the woman softly ::

"Who are you? How do you know my name?"

Kassandra
Sep 6th, 2006, 05:56:15 PM
“Your name is not all that I know, child.”

For a moment she spoke no further, but instead looked up and seemed to be examining the tree in which Fiona had taken shelter.

“My name is Kassandra,” she continued, slowly returning her gaze to the face of the young woman crouched before her. “I'm here to help you.”

Fiona
Sep 6th, 2006, 06:02:55 PM
:: Fiona rose slowly, relaxing a bit. There was something otherworldly about Kassandra, in her bearing and her beauty, and the tone of her voice was reassuring. She stepped out of her shelter, drawing her fur-skin about herself as she looked about for others ::

Kassandra
Sep 7th, 2006, 08:56:36 PM
Following suit Kassandra looked left than right, arching one thin eyebrow.

“Were you expecting someone else?”

Fiona
Sep 8th, 2006, 08:32:08 AM
:: Satisfied that there were no Romans about, Fiona put her knife away ::

"No. I ... I wanted to be sure."

:: She chewed on a wet strand of her hair, still a bit uncertain if she was dreaming or not ::

Kassandra
Sep 8th, 2006, 03:16:32 PM
“We are alone, for now.”

The sword that Kassandra carried gave a sching as she returned it to its sheath.

A slight frown furrowed her brow. She stepped forwards, lifting her hands and pressing them to Fiona's cheeks.

“You're so cold.”

She sighed and let her hands fall to the girls shoulders, her fingertips gently stroking the pelt of the fur-coat she wore.

“You have been wandering this wilderness for far too long... Why are you running away?”

Fiona
Sep 9th, 2006, 02:16:36 PM
"The Romans ..." she growled. "... they killed my people."

Kassandra
Sep 9th, 2006, 05:03:06 PM
“And you do not seek to avenge them?” Kassandra asked in reply, almost gasping.

Fiona
Sep 11th, 2006, 11:04:49 AM
:: Her mind drifted back to the battle. For every Roman then fell, more kept advancing. She remembered the spear that impaled her, and she instinctivley clutched her belly, gazing at ghosts of memory with wild eyes. The ghosts of the Romans, and the ghosts of her people ::

Kassandra
Sep 11th, 2006, 01:18:31 PM
Seeing the girl slip away into her memories, Kassandra intoned: “You have been given a second chance at life for a reason, Fiona. You must not squander it.”

Fiona
Sep 11th, 2006, 02:10:13 PM
:: Fiona was drawn out of her trance by Kassandra's voice, and she recoiled a moment ::

Kassandra
Sep 11th, 2006, 07:13:24 PM
Kassandra's gaze met with Fiona's, strong and severe. Fire burned behind her eyes. “We share a common fate, you and I. We are kindred spirits: warriors felled before our time, risen from the ashes so that we might set right those who have wronged us.”

Her features softened, and she once more cupped a hand to Fiona's cheek, absently brushing the girls damp skin with her thumb. Her presence was all at once soothing and unsettling. “You have so much to learn... and, thankfully, ample time in which to learn it.”

Fiona
Sep 12th, 2006, 07:58:28 AM
:: Fiona was tired, and cold. She closed her eyes, allowing herself to be held in Kassandra's arms as her mind slipped into dreaming ::

Kassandra
Sep 13th, 2006, 03:44:46 PM
Kassandra felt the girl yield against her body, her head falling against her shoulder in sleep. She smiled, stroking her hair tenderly, as they nestled within the great tree roots. She wrapped her own heavy cloak around both their bodies, as Fiona curled up against her side. Soon the rain began to subside and as the sun rose the sky was clear, the air fresh and crisp. Kassandra watched as swifts and swallows cut across the sky in a playful dance. She felt a stirring her arms, as Fiona began to awake, roused by birdsong.

Fiona
Sep 15th, 2006, 07:18:50 AM
:: Fiona's eyes opened, and she lifted her head from Kassandra's shoulder ::

"I thought you were a dream." she murmured.

Kassandra
Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:33:49 AM
“Perhaps I am,” she said with a soft laugh.

“Are you fit to walk? I have a camp not more than half day away from here. You will be safe there.”

Fiona
Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:43:33 AM
:: Fiona pulled herself up and stretched, looking up at the sky ::

"Aye." she replied, chewing absent-mindedly on a strand of hair.

Kassandra
Sep 29th, 2006, 01:09:40 PM
They began to walk, their path in the shade of the hill. The grass was damp with dew, and all around the planet seemed to be coming alive, woodland creatures flitting to and fro out of the corner of their eyes. The cold air was invigorating. Kassandra walked in silence, allowing Fiona some time to awaken fully before she spoke any further.

Fiona
Oct 14th, 2006, 09:07:59 AM
:: Fiona wandered along behind Kassandra, still somewhat lazy, but motivated by hunger. She had many questions, but first things first. She would follow the woman wherever it was she was going ::

Kassandra
Dec 18th, 2006, 07:18:15 PM
When they arrived, the camp was deserted. A small row of tents, damp from the rain, sat squat around a now useless campfire. It looked as if whoever had been using it had left in a hurry. There were clothes scattered here and there, and plates of half eaten food marked were men might have once sat for their dinner. One of the tents was larger than the others and seemed to have been positioned to give it the best vantage over the camp as a whole. Kassandra lead Fiona inside. There was a bed made from pelts and the air was surprisingly warm, musky with faint taste of iron to it.

“Sit,” Kassandra said. Her young ward looked exhausted.

Fiona
Jan 4th, 2007, 05:40:42 PM
:: Fiona glanced around the camp curiously as she entered the tent, but sat as Kassandra requested. She looked at the older woman with wide brown eyes ::

Kassandra
Jan 25th, 2007, 04:09:09 PM
Kneeling in front of her young protège, Kassandra smiled. “Tell me about yourself, Fiona.”

Fiona
May 1st, 2007, 02:35:54 PM
:: Fiona canted her head like a dog ::

"What do you wish to know?"

Kassandra
Dec 29th, 2007, 10:57:05 AM
Kassandra's head titled to one side, mirroring Fiona, and her smile grew.

“Tell me... tell me what you want from life.”

Fiona
Dec 29th, 2007, 11:21:02 AM
:: Her lips fell into a pensive pout ::

"What am I?"

Kassandra
Dec 29th, 2007, 04:31:32 PM
There were so many answers to such a question. In considering her reply, Kassandra recalled her own 'rebirth'. Her mentor had been a man with a penchant for the lyrical, and he had skirted around the truth of her nature for months before finally plainly stating what she was. Thus, she had decided to spare Fiona the same cruel treatment.

“Immortal... ageless. You will live forever, Fiona.”

Fiona
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:16:23 AM
:: Fiona stared in awe again as she reached out to touch Kassandra's face. It was reverence, as though she was touching the face of an exalted being. An angel ::

"H-how???" was all she could speak.

Kassandra
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:55:20 PM
Looking into the girl's eyes, Kassandra felt a swell of pride and power – yet there were some things that even she did not know.

“You can answer that question as well as I.”

Fiona
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:37:14 PM
:: The thought daunted Fiona, and she gave into her baser instincts as she reached for a piece of bread ::

Kassandra
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:13:02 PM
Kassandra watched in silence. It would be many years before Fiona truly understood and excepted what she was. After allowing the girl time to eat, she spoke again, lifting a hand to gently stroke Fiona's hair.

“I can't answer every question, but I will be here to help you through this... confusing time.”

Fiona
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:25:54 PM
:: Fiona closed her eyes a moment, feeling secure in Kassandra's company. She felt safe. Protected. ::