PDA

View Full Version : Changes!!!

TheHolo.Net
Aug 30th, 2006, 10:07:38 PM
Just a little advanced warning for the members. The forums are going to be updated to the newest version of vB in the near future. Be prepared for some pretty drastic changes in the actual board functionality, control, interface, and features. I suspect many of you already have experienced vB3 boards, and already know it won't be that big a deal.

The forums will remain the same. The styles will for the most part be gone, replaced by new ones as time goes on. I am in the process of converting the RP Group styles over to vB, but it’s a difficult process, and with vB3's new features the styles cannot be exactly the same.

If you would like to know why we are changing I'll go ahead and give you the quick skinny now. Hosting companies are constantly updating the software that runs websites. Our host is no different. We have had some fairly serious outages recently and most were caused by the host updating software that is the backbone of our forums. This version of vB is no longer completely compatible with the host software. We have to change to stay functional.

As for how the switchover will go; All the details are far from worked out, but when the change is made there is going to be a fairly long period of downtime, probably several hours, to get the user access permissions all setup for our many RP group's private forums.

Are you ready for a change?

If not, sorry in advance. We really have no choice.

Feel free to mention your favorite SW-Fans features as they are now and I will do my best to make them possible or even better in the new vB version.

Ryan Pode
Aug 30th, 2006, 11:09:09 PM
Any estimates of when the update will occur?

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 30th, 2006, 11:09:37 PM
Soonish.

:p

Ryan Pode
Aug 30th, 2006, 11:23:50 PM
Oh gee. Thats so much more helpful than laterish. :x

TheHolo.Net
Aug 30th, 2006, 11:30:04 PM
I'll give you about as good a one as I can. If things go well, before Monday, if they don't, within a month or two.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 30th, 2006, 11:32:48 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
Oh gee. Thats so much more helpful than laterish. :x

Perhaps you feel you're being treated...unfairly? :shakefist

Ryan Pode
Aug 31st, 2006, 12:01:18 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Perhaps you feel you're being treated...unfairly? :shakefist

Perhaps I am. :mad

Oriadin
Sep 1st, 2006, 03:01:38 AM
I definitely would like to see the who's online feature kept. While we are on the subject of changes, is there a style thats suitable for PDA devices and will there be one when the change comes in?

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 1st, 2006, 08:32:13 AM
Who's Online will not be leaving us, so you're safe there.

I'm not sure about the second part. ^_^;

TheHolo.Net
Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:43:52 AM
I definitely would like to see the who's online feature kept. While we are on the subject of changes, is there a style thats suitable for PDA devices and will there be one when the change comes in?There actually is a PDA compatible version. Click on "Archive" down in the footer. Then you click the PDA icon at the top right.

Oriadin
Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:51:40 AM
Ah yeah, just had a go. Much better for viewing threads, but no way of posting on anything without going to the full version.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 3rd, 2006, 04:10:18 PM
We had a text only style with the old board, in time I am assuming we'll have one here and that would possibly help?

Oriadin
Sep 4th, 2006, 03:34:22 AM
Yes, that would help. The only trouble with the old text one was the spacing was a little all over the place.