PDA

View Full Version : Wake Island, meet Ioke

Park Kraken
Aug 30th, 2006, 04:46:16 PM
Eeek. I wouldn't want to be on Wake Island right now. I sure hope those WW2 memorials on the island don't get washed away. For those of you who don't keep up with the weather, for the past several days Super Typhoon Ioke has been making it's way torwards Wake Island. The storm originated in the Central Pacific, hence it's Hawaiian name, and in a week or so may threaten Japan.

But by tomorrow this storm should be over Wake Island with sustained winds of 140 knots / 160 mph, with gusts up to 170 knots / 195 mph, not to mention the storm surge. And here is a satellite image to put things into perspective. The small green dot to the left is Wake Island.

>>hotlinking is BAD<<

Morgan Evanar
Aug 30th, 2006, 04:56:41 PM
Oh man that place is going to be remodeled via natural carpet bombing.

CMJ
Aug 30th, 2006, 05:31:16 PM
Yeah, I've been watching that too. Thankfully there's not much on that island, because there certainly won't be much left soon.

Kelly Perris
Aug 30th, 2006, 08:06:47 PM
Why does the satellite image of that typhoon make me think of a cinnamon bun?

Jaime Tomahawk
Aug 30th, 2006, 08:14:09 PM
I cant see any image...?

Yog
Aug 30th, 2006, 10:52:12 PM
Can't see any image either :huh

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 30th, 2006, 10:56:32 PM
I'll tell you why. That's cause it's hotlinked from a weather site and they're probably updating it right now.

Kraken - no hotlinking! I'm removing the image URL.

Park Kraken
Aug 31st, 2006, 12:11:41 AM
Oh wait. I gotta remember that this isn't TRF.

This place could learn a few things from TRF.

Anyways, if your looking for pictures:

http://www.npmoc.navy.mil/jtwc.html

click on the multi-spectral satellite imagery for the pictures.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 31st, 2006, 02:13:51 PM
Or TRF could learn that stealing bandwith is BAD and will get you ugly not work safe images if you steal from the wrong site.

Park Kraken
Aug 31st, 2006, 09:58:40 PM
*Glares at Morgan* :mad

Anyways, steering back on topic.....

I haven't heard anything about damage to Wake Island yet, but it's probably too early to tell. Ioke is mostly past the island now, winds are at 130 knots / 150 mph, and judging from the long term forecast track, the storm may pose a threat to the nothern Japanese home islands as a strong typhoon. Say in the 100 mph storm area.