PDA

View Full Version : RPing the Various Lightsaber Forms: What's Yours?

Terran Starek
Aug 30th, 2006, 01:11:23 PM
I was just thinking about this, but when I RP Terran using his lightsaber, do I fairly evaluate him based on his usage of the different lightsaber forms (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_combat#The_seven_forms_of_lightsaber_co mbat)? Granted, it's not a huge issue, but it's food for thought.

Terran is a Jedi Knight, so he's only really proficient in one form at this point in his training, which happens to be Soresu. (This is also not to mention that Terran's focus is not lightsaber combat. In terms of the prestige classes found in the Star Wars d20 rule books, Terran would be a Jedi Scholar or Jedi Healer, not Warrior or Weaponmaster.) When he opposes most blaster users, he's nearly invincible (unless simply outnumbered) because of Soresu's defensive prowess.

Now, if he was in a duel, he would be at an initial disadvantage to someone equally proficient in Makashi or Vaapad. He would need to exploit other types of combat and use patience and caution to overcome. Against a strong dueler utilizing Vaapad or Makashi, Terran would be severely overmatched lightsaber-to-lightsaber.

I just think it's interesting to consider it when you RP. :)

Daria Nytherciria
Aug 30th, 2006, 01:41:11 PM
Daria was trained exclusively in Form II, Makashi. While I wouldn't say she is a 'master', the fact that her Master focused her energy into a single Form has given her a very strong grasp of its techniques, making Daria a formidable duel opponent.

Verse Dawnstrider
Aug 30th, 2006, 06:04:30 PM
Verse uses both Niman and a variation of Form IV: Ataru (one handed, reversed grip with the blade pointing down.)

Verse focuses on Light Saber combat and using the Force in battle. This makes him an outstanding duelist and warrior, but kinda lacking in other areas. He is most proficent in Ataru because it complaments his expertise in Force combat.

Verse hopes to one day master both forms and combine the two.

Serena Laran
Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:05:52 PM
Serena would have been trained in Form VI, the diplomat's form, but with later trained in Form V to give her a more agressive edge.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 4th, 2006, 12:29:59 AM
Adia is very good at Form V with some IV mixed in.

Ira Yahff
Sep 9th, 2006, 02:48:15 PM
Has there even been a Jedi fight as of yet? Only time I've seen a ligthsaber used were during Adia hunts and during the LD vs Khendon fight. Beyond there, I haven't seen a lightsaber employed for battle against another lightsaber.

Lianna Mal Pannis
Sep 9th, 2006, 03:01:50 PM
If you mean Adia and Lianna yep.

Not very many fights. Course, Jedi are trying to avoid using violence ;)

Terran Starek
Sep 9th, 2006, 03:09:37 PM
Right now, they are . . . mwuah-Ha-Ha! :D

Yeah right, everyone knows Terran is the biggest pansy ever. :)

Ira Yahff
Sep 9th, 2006, 03:12:58 PM
If you mean Adia and Lianna yep.

Not very many fights. Course, Jedi are trying to avoid using violence ;)

Was there lightsabers involved on both ends? I didn't know there was an actual bout of that sort as of yet...

I mean, beyond the LD and Khedon one I used as an example.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 9th, 2006, 04:27:40 PM
Has there even been a Jedi fight as of yet? Only time I've seen a ligthsaber used were during Adia hunts and during the LD vs Khendon fight. Beyond there, I haven't seen a lightsaber employed for battle against another lightsaber.

I like the fact that lightsaber use has been scarce so far. It seems somehow more realistic, true to Star Wars, that way. :)

Terran Starek
Sep 9th, 2006, 07:17:08 PM
I like the fact that lightsaber use has been scarce so far. It seems somehow more realistic, true to Star Wars, that way. :)

EXACTLY. That captures my precise sentiment, Das. Not every random dude pulls a lightsaber on you - and that's awesome! :) I love the fact that it's truly a rare and powerful weapon now.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 9th, 2006, 07:23:05 PM
In these times, pulling out a lightsaber is tantamount to shouting "SHOOT ME! CAPTURE ME! KILL ME!" It might give you the upperhand in a battle, but it's also going to mark you out as a wanted (wo)man.

Terran Starek
Sep 9th, 2006, 07:29:57 PM
As a matter of fact, Terran doesn't even carry one for that very reason. :)

Lianna Mal Pannis
Sep 9th, 2006, 11:10:20 PM
yep there was an exchange between Adia and Lianna. Was short but sweet :)

Serena Laran
Sep 10th, 2006, 11:42:23 AM
The only time Serena has used her lightsaber, I believe, was in her first RP when she rescued Rhianna from some homicidal scout troopers. She just deflected a blaster shot.

Using a lightsaber in this timeline is just as Dasq says, a good way to get killed or captured by the Empire or a bounty hunter. LD waves hers around probably more than anyone else has, because she's sort of crazy. But she's used it in RPs (except for fighting Khendon) while she's alone, killing beasts in the Wilds of Onderon, etc.

Terran Starek
Sep 10th, 2006, 11:45:42 AM
LD waves hers around probably more than anyone else has, because she's sort of crazy.

That's an understatement. :p

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 10th, 2006, 11:46:11 AM
>D I can seeeee you....

Terran Starek
Sep 10th, 2006, 11:48:59 AM
Arrgggggggg. . . Teh feared Admin powers! Their so l33t. :D

Ira Yahff
Sep 13th, 2006, 12:15:30 AM
The only time Serena has used her lightsaber, I believe, was in her first RP when she rescued Rhianna from some homicidal scout troopers. She just deflected a blaster shot.

Using a lightsaber in this timeline is just as Dasq says, a good way to get killed or captured by the Empire or a bounty hunter. LD waves hers around probably more than anyone else has, because she's sort of crazy. But she's used it in RPs (except for fighting Khendon) while she's alone, killing beasts in the Wilds of Onderon, etc.

Oooh, it's fine and logical to keep a lightsaber holster or not even have one. I'm just wondering if there has been any call to reason for a lightsaber of any sorts since the topic surrounds the styles utilizing them.

Oriadin
Sep 13th, 2006, 06:24:21 AM
While at the Jedi Order Oriadin studied Obi Wan and was the Jedi Oriadin aspired to be like. Hence he uses Soresu. He's dedicated and very focused. If he can disarm someone without killing them, he always will. He's good, but not a master. Plus, as mentioned above its not safe to start waving a light saber about so he's a little rusty.

Terran Starek
Sep 13th, 2006, 08:14:18 PM
Oooh, it's fine and logical to keep a lightsaber holster or not even have one. I'm just wondering if there has been any call to reason for a lightsaber of any sorts since the topic surrounds the styles utilizing them.

Well, I think especially for the Jedi who were trained before the Purge or those who have been trained in secret, they will have a style. Obviously, padawans don't really have a style yet, or some of those who are just picking up lightsabers and using them. It's a good idea to have a mental image of how your character moves and fights. :)

Ira Yahff
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:53:42 PM
Also, shouldn't the movements and style itself reflect the character's personality in a sense? Aggression definately showcased itself in Anakin and numerous other characters movements, abilities, attributes and style.

Terran Starek
Nov 17th, 2006, 02:24:26 PM
Yep, I think you're right. :)