PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Question!

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 10th, 2006, 01:03:27 AM
:help

My browser froze up on me while I was... browsing.... and when I shut it down and tried to open it up again it asked me to pick a profile to use. There was only one "default" but it wouldn't let me use it because Firefox said it was still in use.

I was in a hurry so I just input a new profile, called "new" and started the program that way.

However! Now I can't seem to get back to the default profile where all my bookmarks and stuff are saved. Help!

TheHolo.Net
Aug 10th, 2006, 02:46:13 AM
When it said you couldn’t use the default profile because it was still in use, you should have either ended the active firefox.exe process in task manager or rebooted, and then tried again.

To restore your bookmarks all you need to do is copy a file.

With Firefox closed, click “Start – Run” type “%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles” without the quotation marks and then click ok or press enter. You should now see the firefox profiles directory, which in your case should contain two folders. One of them should have the word default at the end of the folder name. Navigate to that one and copy the bookmarks.html file from it, pasting it into the other profile directory, overwriting the bookmarks.html in there.

If you just want to go back to your old profile, I think all you have to do is delete the entire directory for the new profile from that application data folder I noted above.

Darth McBain
Aug 10th, 2006, 09:30:48 AM
I've had similar lockup problems - to get around it, after I shut down all the windows, I still need to go into the task manager and find the actual firefox process and kill it. That cleans it all up and then I can start up again.

In general I really like FF, but the occasional lockup I get with it is still a pain...

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 10th, 2006, 09:58:00 AM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
When it said you couldn’t use the default profile because it was still in use, you should have either ended the active firefox.exe process in task manager or rebooted, and then tried again.
^_^; I know! Its actually happened before and I rebooted to make it work again. I honestly don't know what I was thinking.

Edit: And it worked. Thank you! I was rooting around in my Firefox program file last night trying to find where the profiles were hidden, but to no avail. Thanks again! And next time I'll look for the process in the task manager. ^_^;