PDA

View Full Version : [WoD] Abounding Coincidences - Help Wanted

Michele Hawkins
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:39:28 PM
The sun is beating down rather harshly today but since it's winter, I'll take it. Yummy heat. Only bad thing is I forgot my sunglasses at home so I have to squint to see if I got the address right. 2548 N. Halstead. Yep it's right but Kingston Mines? Why was that name familiar?

Eh. I shrug and walk on in.

Mrs. Ceffalio was kinda enough to direct me to a place that was hiring since I wanted to work during my winter break. She was rather strange about the whole thing and said she'd take care of everything. 'Just talk to the Boss,' she insisted. So, I had an interview at 3pm. I was fifteen minutes early because showing punctuality is always a bonus.

Place wasn't really hopping but there were a couple of servers cleaning up the tables for the inevitable rush. I walk over to the young man and smile. "Hi. I'm Michele Hawkins and have an interview today."

“Oh yeah, the boss should be down any minute.” He nodded to a table. “Have a seat.”

”Thanks.” I slide into my chair and try to keep my jittery leg under control. This is the first time I’m looking for a job and really didn’t know how to dress. My clothes are crap but I found a decent pair of black jeans and a red sweater to look somewhat presentable.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:50:15 PM
:: Fiona walked up behind Michele and took a seat next to her ::

"Good afternoon, Michele Hawkins."

Michele Hawkins
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:52:23 PM
"Fiona?" I sat back in visible shock. I haven't seen her since the recital last week and now she's sitting right next to me. What the hell was she doing here?

Fiona Devlin
Aug 8th, 2006, 08:23:59 AM
"Aye."

:: She turned in her chair and set a bottle of Goose Island Nut Brown Ale on the table ::

"Are you here about the job?"

Michele Hawkins
Aug 8th, 2006, 08:36:02 AM
"Um, yeah." I'm still taken aback that she's here, so it took me a few minutes to process the fact she knew I had an interview.

"Wait." My eyes narrow as it finally clicks. "This is your place?"

Mrs. Ceffalio strikes again.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 8th, 2006, 08:44:15 AM
"Aye, it is."

:: She grinned proudly and sipped her beer ::

Michele Hawkins
Aug 8th, 2006, 09:05:21 AM
"I had no idea." Well, Fiona's at least 21 years old considering she's drinking, but she also owns a business. Boggle. Maybe she inherited it.

"Mrs. Ceffalio didn't tell me it was you looking for help either." I have a wry smile on my face now. "Are you two conspiring against me or something?'

Fiona Devlin
Aug 8th, 2006, 09:19:27 AM
:: Fiona managed to swallow and laugh without choking ::

"The doors open at eight o'clock. The music starts at nine thirty, all night long until four ... five on Saturdays. Since you have school, I'll let you go at Midnight."

:: She paused to take another sip ::

"I'll pay you eight bucks an hour, not including tips. Are you interested?"

Michele Hawkins
Aug 8th, 2006, 09:43:41 AM
"Wait! Just like that you're hiring me?" I was dumbfounded. "No interview like asking if I've had experience, which I have none by the way."

Fiona Devlin
Aug 8th, 2006, 10:03:22 AM
"I'm one hand short, so I really need someone starting tomorrow night. I'll show you the ropes myself."

Michele Hawkins
Aug 8th, 2006, 10:59:10 AM
I shake my head to break outta my daze. I can't believe it was this easy. "Um, okay. I just hope I don't mess up too badly."

I feel my eye twitch and I mentally slap myself silly. Ack! Why did I say that? Worse thing to say to a new boss.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 8th, 2006, 11:33:38 AM
"Don't be silly, you'll do fine." ;)

Michele Hawkins
Aug 8th, 2006, 12:14:43 PM
I chuckle. "Well, I learn quickly so I have that going for me. So ..." My eyes wander around as I think for something to say. Fiona always makes me nervous and now I'm gonna work with her. This is very bizarre but where can I find a job this quickly and start right away? Winter break will be gone before I know it.

" ... Guess you need my contact information to get things started?"

Fiona Devlin
Aug 8th, 2006, 12:24:38 PM
"I'll go get you an application. Would you like a drink?"

Michele Hawkins
Aug 8th, 2006, 12:31:32 PM
"You have anything hot?" I shiver as my body realizes just how cold it is outside.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 8th, 2006, 12:51:25 PM
"Cider or Coffee?" she asked, returning with the application.

Michele Hawkins
Aug 8th, 2006, 01:16:02 PM
"Never had cider, so coffee?" I smile up at her as I take the application and start filling it out.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:03:34 PM
:: Fiona scampered back behind the bar to fix Michele a cup of joe ::

"Would you like a shot of irish creme in this?"

Michele Hawkins
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:06:59 PM
My head shoots up as if Fiona is crazy. Well, she is. But more so right now. "Um, bad idea. Not legal yet."

Fiona Devlin
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:20:15 PM
:: Fiona touched her hand to her head and looked like an indian scout as she scanned the club, then shrugged and set the irish creme aside. A moment later she came back to the table, trading the coffee for the application ::

Michele Hawkins
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:26:55 PM
I feel like a little kid when she does that. Why couldn't I simply say I don't drink much? I seem to grow stupid around her, or worse, become embarrassed easily. It's been like that since I met her at school. I become a bumbling fool and now I'm supposed to be working alongside her? I hear the sounds of crashing dishes already.

"Thanks." I take a sip of the coffee and it tastes as wonderful as it smells.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:35:15 PM
:: In the meantime, Fiona was busy pretending to look professional as she scrutinized the application, putting on her best 'school teacher' face ::

"Well, yes. This is all very good, Miss Hawkins."

:: She caught Michele's hand and gave it a firm handshake ::

"Congratulations. You're hired."

Michele Hawkins
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:37:34 PM
I thrust a finger behind me wondering what the heck just happened. Ive been hired. Again?! "Wait. I thought you hired me already."

Fiona Devlin
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:39:19 PM
"It's just the official bit." she winked. ;)

Michele Hawkins
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:40:24 PM
I laugh and shake my head as I quickly pull my hand away. "Gotcha."

Fiona Devlin
Aug 8th, 2006, 05:13:12 PM
"I'm going get us some pie, and then I'll show you around."

:: She hopped up again with the application in hand, and left Michele to enjoy her coffee ::

Michele Hawkins
Aug 8th, 2006, 05:16:52 PM
I laugh to myself and shake my head. Another trait I've developed around Fiona. My attention drifts around the room as her employees mop up and set the stage for tonight's performance. There were a couple of college students were several tables able enjoying an afternoon study session. The place was nice and quiet for it. Probably was deafening after 8.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:38:00 PM
:: She returned with a pumpkin pie and set it on the table with two small plates and a pie knife. The look on Michele's face was amusing ::

Michele Hawkins
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:39:30 PM
I look away and hide my face, but you can still see the big smile. "Pumpkin pie girl."

Fiona Devlin
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:53:49 PM
:: Fiona laughed giddily at Michele and cut the pie ::

"You're blushing!!!" :lol

Michele Hawkins
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:57:27 PM
Oh god. Why did she have to laugh? I just want to crawl under the table. Instead, my hands run down my face to cover my embarrassed face. It's the only way I can hide. "I don't think I'm in the mood for pie now."

Fiona Devlin
Aug 8th, 2006, 07:07:32 PM
:: Fiona caught herself ::

"Oh come on, don't be upset. I think you're wonderful. I'm sorry."

Michele Hawkins
Aug 8th, 2006, 07:15:47 PM
My pinky slides away and I peak out. Fiona was being sincere and meant no harm. I was taking things too literally again and being overly emotional.

I sigh and pull the rest of my hands away. "Nah. I'm sorry. I get too ... sensitive sometimes."

She's being great to me. Giving me a job and all. And she was really encouraging at my recital too. There was no huzzah at the end of my piece but she did keep clapping for an exuberant amount of time after the rest of the audience had died down.

My eyes narrow as I edge a bit closer to the table. “I don’t mean to be.”

Fiona Devlin
Aug 8th, 2006, 07:23:59 PM
"I understand. I just love your smile. Don't hide it when you're working. You're going to be great, and I hope you'll like it."

:: Then she took a piece of pie for herself ::

Michele Hawkins
Aug 8th, 2006, 07:26:17 PM
"You do?" I said that outloud didn't I? I quickly cover that misspeak up by cutting a piece of pie for myself and a conversational diversion. "I think I'll like working here once I find my groove."

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 03:39:21 PM
"That's the spirit."

:: She gave Michele a wink, and kept herself from jesting further ::

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 03:42:05 PM
I happily dug into the pie and glad things were becoming more lax between us. It would make it easier to work together.

"Oh!" I chew my food quickly as a very important question hit me that I forgot to ask. "Do we have uniforms or do I need to buy something?"

I pray for the former and I think my desperation leaked into my facial expression. I don't have enough money to buy a new working wardrobe.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 03:55:17 PM
:: Fiona's eyes bugged widely ::

"Oh! Yes! Come with me."

:: She was up like a shot and off to the backroom she went ::

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 03:59:38 PM
"Um ...." I look down at my pie and pout. My delicious pumkinny goodness would have to wait but as soon as I looked up, Fiona was already gone as if she was a ghost.

So I follow and slowly push open the backroom door and poke my head around seeing if I could find her. I didn't see her readily but the place was loaded with other rooms, supplies and equipment.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:01:57 PM
:: She poked her head out from behind a door and beckoned with girlish enthusiasm ::

"In here."

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:03:06 PM
"Oh. There you are!" My face relaxes and I come up behind her, peeking over her shoulder to see what was up. "The way you moved I swear there was a fire."

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:06:13 PM
:: Fiona chuckled and handed her a waitress apron ::

"Take that."

:: It had the Kingston Mines logo emblazoned on it. Then her eyes darted about at the rest of the merchandise ::

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:10:18 PM
I unfolded the apron and smile. Then I realize were in a supply closet for the club's merchandise. There were metal shelves full of shirts, shot glasses, jackets, tank tops and boxes packed against the walls and stuffed in the free spaces of the room. "So employees get free stuff huh?"

I wince, then blush. "Within reason of course."

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:17:29 PM
:: In response, Fiona put a black Kingston Mines cap on Michele's head, then fished for a women's spaghetti strap top. She held it up in front of herself and posed like a Victoria's Secret girl ::

"Sexy, huh?"

:: She grinned and handed it to Michele, then hopped to the next pile ::

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:21:49 PM
Fiona makes me laugh with the cap and I flip it around backwards as she fishes for more goodies. When she turns around, I notice a lot of fabric missing from that top she is holding against her chest.

"Sexy huh?"

Oh yeah. Thanks for conjuering up images I shouldn't be having about my boss Fiona.

"Yeah," I manage to squeak out and watch as a shirt flies over her shoulder.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:32:05 PM
:: Next she grabbed a black wool jacket with leather sleeves. The club logo on the back was in color, and 'Chicago Blues Center' was embroidered on the front inside a circle ::

"Try that on."

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:33:48 PM
I hold up my hands. "Whoa. I can't take that."

Ah pride. I have a lot of it. I know I don't have the money to get new stuff and what Fiona was giving me wasn't that expensive, plus I did need it to work. The jacket was too much tho.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:36:57 PM
:: Fiona's face glowed with kindness as she held it out, showing off both sides of it ::

"Sure you can. Everybody gets one." :)

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:41:10 PM
"Really?" She held it out with a grin and I took it. Well, since everyone gets one then why not. It isn't charity.

I slip my arms through it and cross my arms forward and throw them back. There was plenty of room and was really comfortable. Course now I feel like I'm a walking advertisement but that was kinda the point. Hell, I don't mind either. If she wanted me to do cartwheels down Halstead screaming Kingstone Mines I would in gratitude.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:44:33 PM
"We also have denim jackets, but those are on order."

:: She smiled ::

"Looking good."

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:47:20 PM
"Thanks," I say shyly as I push the hat off my head. I can feel my hair frizz a bit because of the static that was built up. Stupid winter weather. Now I look silly.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:50:08 PM
"Here, have these." :)

:: She reached out and took two shot glasses off the shelf and handed them to Michele ::

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:51:24 PM
"What the heck am I going to use this for?" I ask, twisted them left and right in scrutiny.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:58:52 PM
:: Fiona paused a moment and pursed her lips ::

"How about this?"

:: She held out a glass stein for Michele's approval ::

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:59:57 PM
I laugh. "Good lord that's huge. I can drink a lot of pop with that."

I flash a grin.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 05:02:18 PM
"Alright." she laughed, and traded the stein for the shot glasses.

"You're all set, methinks."

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 05:03:35 PM
"Yeah." I hug the gifts. "Thanks for setting me up. I guess just jeans for pants?"

I hope.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 05:10:02 PM
:: Fiona turned around, slipping her hands into her back jeans pockets as she tossed a sassy look over her shoulder ::

"Jeans are fine." ;)

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 05:12:35 PM
I swear she does this to make me blush on purpose. Hello naughty thoughts.

"Right. So ..." I back up to get some distance between us. It's getting pretty warm in here. " ... Going back to finish my pie and coffee before it gets too cold."

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 05:20:37 PM
"Alright."

:: She fidgeted with a few things on the shelf as Michele went back out into the club ::

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 05:24:40 PM
The pie was so good, I scarfed it down and nursed my coffee. Embarrassments aside, I had a fun time today. I doubt I'll ever have an interview like this again. Heh.

So by my calculations, I have about four weeks of third shift. I'll have to make arrangements with Fiona for when school starts up again but I have a suspicion that won't be a problem. She very accommodating towards me and I appreciate it deeply.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 07:05:59 PM
:: Fiona returned to the table again and sat ::

"I'm glad you stopped by. You're really helping me out here."

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 07:08:03 PM
"No, thank you for hiring me." I took a moment to stare at Fiona over the coffee cup (What? She's cute) and then smile. "I'm glad Mrs. Ceffalio told me."

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 07:13:49 PM
"I owe her one. She was kind enough to send you. Would you like the rest of this in a box?"

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 07:15:21 PM
My eyes grow big with glee and I set down the cup. "Really? That would be awesome though ... I doubt it would last the night."

I laugh. "I guess I just got dinner!"

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 07:19:16 PM
"I'll also get a bag for your things."

:: she lingered in silence a moment, waiting to see if Michele wanted anything else ::

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 07:21:45 PM
I wasn't sure what Fiona was waiting for. Was I suppose to say something or do something?

Maybe.... ?

Nah.

"Thanks. Be easier to hold everything on the bus that way."

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 07:27:11 PM
"It's a bit nippy to have to wait for a bus. Would you like a ride?"

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 07:30:16 PM
I smile appreciatively. "Please don't go outta of your way to take me home. You've done enough for me today. I've survived worse."

Which is true. The weather around here can be 32 degrees one day and then -15 the next day as the wind chill takes over during the winter. And yeah, it's really hellishly cold, especially with the clothes I wear. I think of it as stamina training. Heh.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 9th, 2006, 07:37:31 PM
"If you're sure."

:: She didn't push it, not wanting to make Michele uncomfortable ::

"Put on the Jacket though. That'll keep you good and warm, that will." :)

Michele Hawkins
Aug 9th, 2006, 07:39:15 PM
"Of course." I stood up and put on the jacket. It was far warmer then my crappy one and it smelled wonderful. Fresh new leather is hard to beat.

"So, I'll see you tomorrow then right?"

Fiona Devlin
Aug 10th, 2006, 07:37:03 AM
"Aye. You take care."

:: She handed Michele her things and watched her walk out the door.

Two minutes later, she walked up the sidewalk and waited next to Michele at the bus stop as non-chalantly as possible. She stood quietly, her eyes scanning the distance beneath her floppy hat as the wind blew at her pink cheeks ::

Michele Hawkins
Aug 10th, 2006, 09:50:41 AM
I have my head tucked in tightly to lessen my exposure to the cold. Heck, I even have the hat on to give me warmth but the sharp cold burned my nose as I inhaled deeply. In an odd dance where I get up on my toes and twist my arm around so I don't have to pull my hands out, I check my watch.

3:48pm. Buss should be here in five minutes.

Fiona Devlin
Aug 10th, 2006, 09:54:40 AM
:: Fiona didn't speak, although her eyes did shift to glance at Michele as she whistled a tune to pass the time. It was Greensleeves ::

Michele Hawkins
Aug 10th, 2006, 10:08:45 AM
Someone was whistling a tune and I turn around to find a familiar floppy hat.

"What are you doing out here?" Fiona certainly wasn't waiting for the bus so it baffled me as to what another reason could be. "Did I forget something at the club?"

Fiona Devlin
Aug 10th, 2006, 10:24:09 AM
:: She turned to look at Michele, breaking tune to answer her ::

"You can hardly expect me to take any comfort in the fact that you're out here in the cold while I'm indoors. So I'm going to wait here until your bus comes to take you home."

:: Then she turned and continued the tune again, little puffs of frost escaping from her lips ::

Michele Hawkins
Aug 10th, 2006, 01:02:48 PM
"You're crazy!" I finally said it, but with my adoring humor attached to it. "I've done this for years Fiona!

I shove her playfully towards the club, all the while laughing. "Get back inside!"

Fiona Devlin
Aug 10th, 2006, 02:07:16 PM
:: Fiona let herself be pushed a step, then sang aloud with a twinkle in her eye ::

"Alas my love, ye do me wrong, to cast me off discurteously ..."

Michele Hawkins
Aug 10th, 2006, 03:22:03 PM
I stop dead in my tracks, not knowing what to think anymore. I mean, is she flirting with me or just being playful? But she's always playful, and not just to me, so the line is very blurry. Well, at least to me it is.

The bus pulls up with the driver honking for my attention. Guess I'll continue guessing on the ride home.

"Night, Fiona." I wave and hop onto the bus, slip the change into box and take a seat street side, my first chance all day to hide from her.