PDA

View Full Version : Intruder Alert ! ! ! !

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:32:22 AM
My house was almost broken into last night. While I was in it, alone with my kitties.

I had the back sliding door open, with the screen closed and a fan going, to circulate some cool air inside the house. I could see two of my cats, but the third one was somewhere out of sight. Then I heard something - like claws on the sliding screen door. I thought, and rightly so I think, that my third cat Sammy was testing his tiny claws on the screen, and thought nothing more of it.

Then a few moments later I glance over at the screen... and it is OPENING. It was about a third of the way open.

Sammy is a little black kitten, and it was dark out, so I freaked out that somehow he was opening the screen and ran over and closed it. I couldn't see him anywhere, but it was dark outside (as I said) and he's black, so I thought maybe he'd gotten outside and I couldn't see him.

I flip on the backyard floodlight...

...and there's an enormous raccoon waddling away from my back deck. He's stopping and looking at me, and then starts to come back, and so I clapped my hands a bit to scare him off.

I almost had a big, disease ridden raccoon in my kitchen. The scary part is that up until about ten minutes before this happened I was in my office with the door closed. I never would have known what was going on until he was already inside eating my kittens. and killing my big cat. ^_^;

It was pretty freaky!

Razielle Alastor
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:04:53 AM
>_< now I'm going to be paranoid all day! Poor kitties! :(

:hug

Sorsha Kasajian
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:23:31 AM
While I love Raccoons dearly (I used to own one) I fully understand how bad this could have ended up. Thankfully your felines are ok. :)

and from now on, LOCK the screen door! :p

Byl Laprovik
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:24:53 AM
Maybe its time you invested in a good shotgun.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:43:32 AM
Good to know the little ones are safe.

And do what Kitty says; lock the screen door from now on :p

Sorsha Kasajian
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:49:42 AM
Originally posted by Byl Laprovik

OR a supersoaker. Something that will chase the Raccoon away WITHOUT KILLING it.

:verymad Charley

Byl Laprovik
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:45:04 AM
If something that can spread rabies is coming near me, my family, or my pets, I'm not bothering to stop with half measures. Sorry, but I'm not risking it with a squirt gun.

Jens Vec
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:51:40 AM
But if you don't let RJ finish the list, the bear will eat him!

Sorsha Kasajian
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:52:20 AM
Understood, but

I'll shutup now, my point is obviously misunderstood.

Boba Fett
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:13:55 AM
I had a racoon invade my house as well. I grabbed a broom and proceeded to play 'racoon hockey' with it until he finally escaped through the doggie door that he originally entered.

Good times, especially at 3 in the morning.

Khendon Sevon
Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:47:31 PM
Good situation for a paintball gun. It'll teach the punk to never bother you again.

I woke up about a week ago at 'round 7 in the morning to what sounded like an animal crying. A family of racoons were climbing out of a sewer as a rainstorm drenched them. They huddled under some trees near my neighbor's house.

I have a blurry picture that I took before I resumed my slumber.

Jecht Tar
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:01:04 PM
Originally posted by Byl Laprovik

I second that!

Arya Ravenwing
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:08:17 PM
Originally posted by Jens Vec
But if you don't let RJ finish the list, the bear will eat him!

LOL

That movie was so good. :D

My brother has raccoons come around his house all the time and he shoots 'em in the butt with a pellet gun.

And I'd lock the screen except there isn't a way to. ^_^;

Razielle Alastor
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:29:04 PM
>_< I feed the racoons at my house.. Well I used to, they moved on. But they were mighty friendly. :)

Sasseeri Reeouurra
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:39:36 PM
:lol Well, they're mangy, disease ridden animals. I can't really have them around my cats.

I did always love stories where they had raccoons as pets, though. ^_^;

Sanis Prent
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:08:53 PM
If you're averse to killing them, you could always adjust the gas feed in a shotgun's choke and load some cool-FPS rock salt shells.

Get a Saiga. It's remarkably recoil-friendly:

http://panicked.org/sa/tromix.gif

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:10:59 PM
Considering this is the first 'coon I've seen in two and a half years, I probably don't need one. :)

Sanis Prent
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:13:12 PM
See many bears? A twist of the choke and you can load magnum charge rifled slugs from that as well.

I haven't tried the rock salt, but I've fired slugs through mine and its so gentle that Christin can do it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:14:06 PM
:lol

Not many bears in the middle of Portland, no.

Sanis Prent
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:24:33 PM
Hey, who knows. We get all sorts of weird animals running through the burbs here, so its possible.

How's Portland for crackheads, hoods, and cholos, since you're not too worried about the local fauna.

Park Kraken
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:07:46 PM
Never had a Coon problem down where I live, except for some occasions. Glad to hear your kitties are ok, I know what coons can do to chickens and other animals.

Sorsha Kasajian
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:30:59 PM
Can we cease with the Racoon killing stories now? >_< :x :cry

Please? :(