PDA

View Full Version : The Devil's Handshake

Khendon Sevon
Jul 28th, 2006, 04:36:13 PM
The Executor’s star destroyer, the Death Advocate, plowed through space like the violent instrument it was. A brilliant flash of light escaped its prow and a wave of energy incinerated a trio of X-wings in cleansing fire. Imperial fighters swarmed around the behemoth vessel and played games of cat-and-mouse with the remaining squadron of warn out, tired headhunters.

“My Lord,” an unmasked stormguardsman pounded his dark armored chest and gave a slight bow from the neck, “the final elements of resistance on the space station have been broken. They have surrendered unconditionally.”

“Thank you, Lieutenant, have your troopers leave.”

“Executor?”

“Have them leave. Disable the bulkheads. Place charges on all the airlocks.”

“Sir?” The guardsman couldn’t help but smile.

“Space them.”

“By your command.” He pounded his chest again and went about relaying the orders.

Khendon had spent the day culling favor with the planets of the near-core sector. He had marched in and simply told them he would rid them of the rebel elements that had been plaguing their lives. It took exactly ten hours for him to do exactly that with only one star destroyer.

The Empire’s most feared man looked at his datapad and frowned. Changes had occurred in the convoluted political scene of the sprawling galaxy. He read the summaries and only looked up to witness explosive decompression jettison bodies into space.

“Interesting,” he expanded a note into a full length article and read it with vigor.

“Helm!” His voice was that of a leader of men, “Set course for Doldur Sector! Best speed. Combat Command, recall all fighters and personnel.” He threw aside the mechanical device and it shattered on the durasteel floor.

Khendon sat in a chair deep in the darkness and listened to his own breathing. The air was only churned by the occasional disturbance of the intermittent filtration system. He allowed the Force to uncurl from his body like a snake and slither through the expansive Imperial facility. Lives, thoughts, daydreams, and more flashed through his mind in a disorganized, wanton manner.

He let his mind expand and become one with the pulsing activity throughout the facility as he waited for his mark to appear.

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 28th, 2006, 04:59:01 PM
Doldur Capital

Lieutenant Karenz walked briskly alongside Moff Tarkin, rattling off Intelligence reports from the Bothawui Sector. "Several men have heard rumors of an attack mounting against Doldur, Ma'am. We do know that the Rebels have been quiet since the news of your arrival. It's quite possible that the rumor may be true."

"I don't want hearsay, I want proof." She stopped sharply and turned on her heels to look directly at Karenz. "Rumors do not tell us where the Rebels are nor do they tell us of what exactly they have planned. I want a detachment sent close to that sector of space to monitor all incoming traffic. Double the efforts of our spy networks."

Karenz clicked his boots and bowed. "Yes, Ma'am."

It didn't surprise her that the Rebellion was stirring up trouble. They were going to test the waters because they were afraid of her. She was more then happy to show them they're worst nightmares. This sector of space was going to be cleansed of Rebellion influence as promised!

The doors to her office swooshed opened and Miranda entered, but after a few moments steps inside she couldn't help feel something unsettling.

She shook off the feeling, thinking it nothing more then stress that came with bad news, and sat down at her desk.

Khendon Sevon
Jul 28th, 2006, 05:31:08 PM
Khendon watched the woman enter and pulled himself back to within his immediate vicinity. The Force spun the shadows like a veil around him and hid him from sight as he stood and walked silently around the perimeter of the room.

He watched Miranda take her seat and gently brushed a stray hair from her face with his outstretched mind.

“Miss Tarkin,” his voice was smooth and low, he made sure there was no threat in its tone, “or should I say Moff Tarkin. Congratulations.”

He walked out from the shadows and allowed them to slide away like a discarded cloak. The Executor had his elite stormguardsmen infiltrate the area’s security barracks. They would ensure the two’s conversation went uninterrupted.

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 28th, 2006, 06:22:58 PM
Miranda rubbed at her forehead to fend away an itch, but then her eyes snapped forward to the viperous Executor. Oh yes, she knew of him quite well. The last time she was introduced to him was several years back at one of Palpatine's private functions on Imperial Center. Their conversation was a brief with merely pleasantries. This meeting was going to be much more entertaining she wagered.

Her apparent surprise was momentary and she quickly recovered her composure. At least now she understood the source of that odd feeling from before. "Thank you, Executor. I'm honored to serve our Empire." Miranda rose from her seat and nodded respectfully. "Forgive my presumption, but I don't think you traveled all this way just to congratulate me. Unless something has happened?"

She asked in earnest. As high profile of a promotion she had received, the likes of Executor Sevon coming to speak to her personally seemed out of place. She was not that important ... At least not yet.

Khendon Sevon
Jul 28th, 2006, 06:43:16 PM
Khendon grinned and took a seat opposite the attractive politician. “An interesting assessment.” He surveyed the room. “You wouldn’t happen to have wine or some such thing sitting around, would you? I could use a small glass at the moment.”

The Executor’s eyes were dark bluish-gray and seemed to be commanding unheard orders at all times. His was a face meant to be listened to. It demanded attention and fealty. He was the Executor.

Khendon let out a sigh, “May I call you Miranda? I’ve had a long voyage and the games of status and state are unappealing at this moment.”

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 28th, 2006, 07:43:32 PM
"As long as I get to call you Khendon," she replied with a polite smile.

Walking over to the north wall, Miranda hit a button of similar color to the tile and a liquor case spun into view. "What does your palate enjoy? Merlot, Zinfandel or Cabernet Sauvignon?"

She pulled out two wine glasses with a raise brow. Miranda preferred a good cognac but would make an exception for the Executor.

Khendon Sevon
Jul 28th, 2006, 08:00:41 PM
He smiled, “Khendon it is. And Merlot, please, Miranda”

“Describe to me your fealty to the Empire, my dear. Choose your words carefully.” His eyes locked onto her and stayed. The Force gently stretched away from him and caressed her aura. It embraced her and he could feel the slight pulses of her heart beat and the electrical field of her body.

The Executor was a master interrogator and it wasn’t because he could be vicious. He allowed his body to appear completely relaxed as his mind tightened into focus.

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 28th, 2006, 08:07:57 PM
An odd question. She wondered what the Executor was fishing for as she poured each of them a glass of Merlot. "My fealty was to Palpatine before his death and now to make sure his vision for the Empire continues on as is fitting his legacy. I still mourn his lost." All true.

She walked across the room and reached out to offer him a glass. "Why do you ask?"

Khendon Sevon
Jul 28th, 2006, 08:14:02 PM
Khendon took the glass, “Thank you.” He sipped. “Very good.”

“Why do I ask? I am the Executor, Miranda. My role in this government is to ensure that it is not undermined by individuals that have ulterior motives. I guarantee that it will not be corrupted. At least, that is my goal.

“I have been given unprecedented power to seek out and place judgment on all that betray the spirit of this Empire. I have killed,” he waved his hands, “millions in the purification of this government and its people. Some would call it a crusade. It is not. I simply understand that there is a greatness that only we can achieve.

“What do you think of the current state of the Empire?”

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 28th, 2006, 09:06:34 PM
She had to laugh inwardly. Miranda was barely in office for a week and already she had the honor of being challenged."

The Moff sat opposite of the Executor and answered. "The restructuring of Moffs is a good start and it solves the immediate problem of projecting stability. It will ease the concerns of our citizens for a time.

But you and I both know that won't last long." Miranda sipped at her wine and continued. "Without a central figure to lead the Empire, we're going to loose against the Rebellion. With such a vacuum of power, the Rebels smell blood and will continue to attack like the rabid dogs they are until we give them something to fear."

Khendon Sevon
Jul 28th, 2006, 11:40:46 PM
Khendon tightened his facial features. “We need someone without fear who can inflict fear. They have to be able to control the military and the political arms with equal ability. Not only that, they need to be an orator of unimaginable skill.”

His eyes sparkled. The Executor spread his senses and allowed them to walk over the room and mingle with the electronic devices. He probed each machine’s functions and found two that he did not like. They switched off and whoever was listening on the other end would find silence.

“Let me get to the point, Miranda. Do you ever hope to be called Grand Moff Tarkin?”

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 29th, 2006, 09:52:43 AM
Her head noticeably turned in curiosity. Of course she had such aspirations. It was Miranda's destiny to help lead the Empire into glory and keep the systems in by whatever means necessary ... Including the use of illegal means that were at her fingertips as Vigo of Black Sun.

An appreciative smile crossed her lips, relishing in the thought. Oh yes, Miranda was quite interested in what the Executor had to say. "Please, continue Khendon."

Khendon Sevon
Jul 29th, 2006, 01:34:34 PM
“As you’ve said, the Empire needs a central figure. There is only one man that I have encountered that I feel is up to the task. Anar is a politician. He does not inflict fear upon our enemies and he does not demand respect from those in the military.” He took another drink and the grin began to form.

“I have lived and breathed the Empire since I first joined its ranks so many years ago. We are entwined. That is why I am taking the throne.

“Those that side with me will be rewarded for their loyalty and foresight. Those that don’t,” he raised his shoulders, “it will depend on how hard they resist the change.” He leaned forward, “I need skilled political leaders along with military. I am not perfect. I will not pretend to be. I understand that it is both the leader and those that he chooses to lead that makes or breaks a government.

“That is why I am giving you an opportunity to cement yourself for success. I will win the throne. If you ever wish to become a Grand Moff you should be seen betting on the winner.

“Think hard, though. It would mean pledging military assets to me as well as your political,” he smiled, “service.”

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 29th, 2006, 04:47:47 PM
Miranda's brow rose at that last comment, not missing the innuendo, but her mind quickly started to spin possibilities. It was true that Sevon and Anar were the talk of hushed voices on Imperial Center. Everyone was merely waiting for the hammer to drop. It just needed to drop soon. Anar has been quietly positioning himself in play whereas the Executor had thought about his role within the Empire in deep space for quite some time.

She admired Anar deeply, having worked alongside him Miranda respected the Chancellor as well. However, reasoning agreed with Sevon. The Galactic Citizens loved Anar and the Alliance would probably squeal in delight if he took the throne. More anarchy would follow ...

Anar was a powerful man in his own right, but so was Sevon. He had the power of the military at his disposal and could easily overtake Coruscant. The Executor's men were loyal extremists. They would die for him, and he controlled the Inquisitors. They didn't just have to hunt down Force users.

So, this left Miranda with a decision to make and she smiled. "You would not have come all this way if you thought my answer was to be no, Khendon."

She took a long sip of wine as if that sold the deal. "However, I am concerned about one thing. How much emotional and collateral damage this will cause. You are well known for making your voice clear on matters and what it is you want." She allowed a smirk. "I'm curious as to just how loud this takeover is going to be."

Khendon Sevon
Jul 30th, 2006, 10:25:00 AM
Khendon smiled. “My dear, it will be a mighty shout across the galaxy that shall forever silence all voices of resistance. Imagine, if you will, the largest collection of Imperial forces ever. Between them and the seat of power are all of those that would auction off the Empire if they were given control.

“Yet, the traitor’s find their ships weak and powerless, their opponent well prepared. It is decisive. The higher leaders are executed, all others pardoned.” He picked up his glass from where he had set it down and took another drink.

The Executor grinned. “I’m looking to you to ensure political stability and proper media opinion.” He looked into his wine for a moment then back with up a smile. “There are many moffs and admirals that do not agree with me, Miranda. I fear there will be a great need of powerful leaders when their voices are stifled.”

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 30th, 2006, 11:13:25 AM
Culling of the opposition. It was the best way to silent dissidents. Miranda's family knew that tactic all too well but it was tactic that could come around and haunt Khendon in the future, even with her vocal support. She had a gift of swaying people to think properly but not everyone would be convinced without rationalization. But that was why the Executor needed the Moff's assistance. When Miranda spoke, the Galactic Empire listened and believed.

"To assert your leadership, death is inevitable," she said candidly. "I can have the Empire see things a certain way but I would require help in creating an illusion." She sipped at her wine as a scenario spun inside her head. "An illusion that the Rebellion had conspired with several of our high ranking officials, selling secrets and offering money and aid to a cause that we are fighting against."

Over the years, Miranda had created dozens of lies and half-truths to secure the Empire's power and complacent citizens. "It would make things easier for our people to accept, yet those who were in power would realize the truth. They will stay in line out of fear, not wanting to die."

Something about their conversation had been pestering her but it finally dawned on her as to why. Things were calm and seemingly stable, but all around her change was happening, just like being inside the center of the storm, both she and Sevon. It reminded her of the time right before Palpatine took control of the Old Republic. Her grandfather had spoken of that time to her often and how the Emperor solidified his power.

She only hoped that Sevon would win. Siding with him now put her at great risk. If he failed, her promotion would end with a firing squad but as Miranda carefully regarded the Executor, she only sensed victory. She wasn't sure why. It just felt right.

Khendon Sevon
Jul 30th, 2006, 11:33:37 AM
Khendon winked, sat back, and finished off his glass. “This, my dear Miranda, is exactly the reason I need you.”

He took a matte black datapad from within his uniform and slid it across the table. “The password is Crimson Gambit. It’s tuned only to your voice. You will find every detail about the fleet I am collecting, about who is trustworthy and who is not, there is an interesting segment on,” he grinned,”certain assassination plots unfolding.

“I will easily be able to contact you through it. I warn you, do not let it fall into the wrong hands.” He suddenly became serious and his face became hard. “I am still the man that has hunted down and killed the most deadly traitors the Empire has known. If my opinion of the purity of any individual that has fall into the folds of my game wavers,” he made a chopping motion with his hand and grinned again, “they will be executed in the most vicious way imaginable like the pawns they are.”

He allowed his face to soften and his eyes took on a sparkle in the lighting. "I know I do not have to say these things to you," he waved his hand, "you are a professional. And very good at what you do, I might add."

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 30th, 2006, 02:33:16 PM
Miranda had understood the Executor's reasoning for being vocal with his threat and she knew he would follow it through. In this sense, they were alike for she had done the same countless times to make sure that who sat across the table with her was crystal clear as to their duties.

"I appreciate the complement, Khendon," she wrapped her hand around the black datapad and set it to the side. "It's not too often that I hear of my worth." Their spoken candor made it easy for the Moff to let her hair done, figuratively of course. She almost snorted with disgust as she waved at the office. "I should have received this a long time ago."

Khendon Sevon
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:45:35 PM
“My dear Miranda, you will one day look back upon this office and see it as a closet compared to your standings then. There are boundless rewards waiting those that join with me.” Khendon pursed his lips. “There’s one more matter to discuss. I need a military commitment from you when the time comes. I need a pledge of ships and soldiers at a moment’s notice. Your sector will be safe; they will only be away for a short time.

“You will not find the details of the coming military engagement in the ‘pad yet. Soon enough they will appear in a priority message.”

Miranda Tarkin
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:57:20 PM
Miranda's jaw jilted to the side in thought. "I realize that. However, my predecessor was a fool and allowed Rebel influence to penetrate this sector. He did little to cut out the cancer and it's spreading. I'm not sure if you were informed but Intel smells an attack. A big attack near Bothan space. If your attack coordinates with theirs, well ..."

She shifted in her seat and smiled, "I'm sure you can see where my concerns lie."

Khendon Sevon
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:55:55 PM
Khendon grinned. “My dear, I believe I need a refill before we go into matters of such a personal nature.” He had a single star destroyer in orbit fully equipped with siege engines of all manifestations and natures. Her belly was crammed to the bulkheads with advanced attack fighters and she was stocked with clones superior in every way to the average human. At a moment’s notice he could command another destroyer to make at best speed for his location. It too would be well equipped for matters of war.

The Executor pursed his lips and allowed their lines to remain pleasantly curved.

Miranda Tarkin
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:27:43 PM
Miranda rose from her desk agreeably. "Of course."

She grabbed the chilled wine by its neck from the ice bucket and carefully poured the Executor another glass. "You seemed to have taken a liking to this vintage. I have an unopened bottle that you can take with you when we are through."

Political pleasantries aside, it didn't mean the Moff couldn't be sociable.

Khendon Sevon
Aug 10th, 2006, 02:28:50 PM
Khendon smiled. “I appreciate it.”

He took a sip and nodded. “I know all too well the issues that face you. I came here after restoring stability to a certain other moff’s sliver of space. When the time comes, there will be plenty of help here.

“Have no fear. When the rebels attack they will be signing their death warrant. Their wave will be broken on the bows of mighty Imperial destroyers.”

Miranda Tarkin
Aug 10th, 2006, 03:48:43 PM
"I'll see to it myself that it reaches your ship."

Sevon's explanation eased her concerns a great deal. She was throwing a lot of manpower and weapons into his arsenal, but the Executor wouldn't be attacking Coruscant with every ship at his disposal. Having a few of his personal Destroyers nearby would sway the battle to their favor in an instance.

She refreshed her own glass and sat down with a gracious smile. "Then I see no reason why I cannot offer assistant militarily."

Khendon Sevon
Aug 15th, 2006, 08:59:47 PM
"Excellent!" Khendon nodded and continued to whittle away centimeters from his glass. "Before I vanish in a puff of smoke, is there anything else you think should be brought to my attention?" The meeting had gone better than he'd expected. The Executor hadn't killed, maimed, or tortured anyone.

In a way he was sad. He so enjoyed the pleasantries of the diabolical.

Miranda Tarkin
Aug 16th, 2006, 02:07:32 PM
"No. We both are helping one another's immediate goals and shall continue to do so for the good of the Empire," she commented but sensed something from Sevon. A tinge of disappointment perhaps? If that were true, it seemed odd to the Moff. Everything went his way towards the meeting. Miranda was used to the cloak and dagger games for years now and she firmly believed that a man like the Executor was needed on the throne.

"Not unless there is something else you wish to discuss with me further." She added.

Khendon Sevon
Aug 21st, 2006, 01:08:58 AM
Khendon frowned. He hadn’t let slip any indication of his thoughts, had he? Maybe his restlessness was, even now, painted on his face. The Sith didn’t like that thought.

He pursed his lips and continued the act. “No, I believe that is all…” He took one final drink from his glass. “I believe I should be getting back to my men. They will be anxious. I will see to it that my part of the bargain is fulfilled as rapidly as is possible. Until we meet again, My Dear.” he stood and allowed a small bow with his eyes never leaving her own.

Miranda Tarkin
Aug 21st, 2006, 07:23:35 PM
Miranda stood out of respect and returned the bow, never diverting her eyes from his own. Perhaps it was a scare tactic, or maybe he was measuring her up further for some future plans. The Executor only knew such things in the privacy of his own mind.

Still, she would show no fear. "I appreciate the expediency of help. Until next time, Khendon."

The next time they met, she was dubious if things could be so informal as they were now. Next time they met face to face, she would probably be calling him Emperor. At least they had one moment of being actual peoole.