PDA

View Full Version : There's a new kid in Town (Dasq, Grace,Jens)

Estelle Russard
Jul 26th, 2006, 06:48:11 PM
Estelle had returned to the training facility, location undisclosed, sooner than she had ever expected she would.

And she had not returned alone.

In her company, but currently otherwise engaged in the front office giving his particulars, was Jens Vec. Height, weight, distinguishing marks, blood type etc was all being recorded by the Bothan secretary who explained to Jens that the next step was a full physical - emphasis on full - as part of admissions protocol. The concern that particular little snippet of information brought to the new recruits never failed to arouse a smug smile to the Bothan. He loved to freak out the rookies.

For her part, Estelle was making her way to the ward room, and her superiors, in order to give a debriefing of the latest rebel to join their cause.

Dossier in hand, Intel Operative Russard knocked briskly on the ward room door.

Grace Van-Derveld
Jul 27th, 2006, 11:38:07 AM
The door swooshed opened to the conference room where Grace was in the middle of briefing several operatives on their mission. The Assistant Director nodded to Estelle and wrapped things up. She was almost done anyway.

"So remember, the Imps aren't expecting us. Just hit their supply shipments and wait for their transmission. If we're right, that should lead us to an Imperial staging area on Roche. Rogue Squadron will be there to assist." With a curt nod, she depowered the holoprojector. "Dismissed."

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 27th, 2006, 12:03:06 PM
Dasquian had taken a back seat in the briefing, occupying himself by reading through some scout reports that had been delivered only a few hours earlier. When the door to the conference room opened, however, he set the file down, glancing up with an expectant smile.

“Agent Russard...”

Estelle Russard
Jul 27th, 2006, 06:08:01 PM
Estelle stood aside to allow her fellow operatives to file out, and then moved further into the room.

"Director. AD Van-Derveld"

She smiled warmly to each in turn, while keeping a professional manner.

She lifted the dossier and then placed it on the table.

"I bring report on my mission to Naboo"

Grace Van-Derveld
Jul 28th, 2006, 08:55:11 AM
"And how did things go?" Grace slid the file towards Dasquian. She was more concerned with Estelle. Although she could be with the Agent continuously, Grace kept a watchful eye on her friend. Estelle had come a long way since the innocent college student from Corsucant. With each new mission she was becoming a more stronger, capable woman. "No trouble I assume?"

Jens Vec
Jul 28th, 2006, 06:59:51 PM
The journey to the Rebellion is fraught with danger and excitement! Um...actually, it was kinda boring. Though I found out that Danielle is actually Estelle. It set me thinking on my own pseudonyms and whatever. It'd be cool to be in the espionage and stuff that goes on.

Right, but for the moment, I'm handing out info.

"Jens Vec, 19 years old, 180 lbs, I'm five-seven..." I rub my palms into my eyes, trying to remember. "Uh, blood-type B. Distinguishing marks...I've got these scattered burn scars on the backs of my legs, and a birthmark across my back like a stripe. Runs right shoulder to left hip."

That seems to round out the question-and-answer (for now). The Bothan makes mention of a full physical. I try to roll it off, but it makes me shudder all the same. So...now I'm just standing around, I guess. Estelle went somewhere, so I guess I just gotta wait. Jeez, I feel awkward. I wonder how many recruits came equipped with an out-moded airboard?

Estelle Russard
Jul 28th, 2006, 07:44:25 PM
"None" she assured.

Estelle felt very pleased with Jens coming on board. She felt he had great potential and knew youth and enthusiasm were an invaluable assesst to any cause. Vec had both.

"Our information was sound and the Drop Spot was just as we had anticipated - a door of opportunity."

"I made contact with Jens Vec, a youth who was running the show there, and he was eager to join the rebellion in a greater capacity. He passed all clearance checks, as did his associates.

He is being data'd now"

Data'd being the slang given the lagborious process of getting all a new recruits particulars into the RA system.

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:23:53 PM
“Excellent. Good work, Estelle.”

Dasquian smiled, then depressed a comm. button on the tabletop.

“Send Mr. Vec along to us as soon as he's ready.”

Estelle Russard
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:24:04 PM
"Yes sir" The comm box squawked back the reply.

"Thankyou Sir" Estelle warmed at Dasquian's approval. "Might I request to continue a close association with Jens in his first few months? He is a long way from home and I remember well how encouraging it was to have someone looking out for me at that crucial time."

She slid a soft thankful smile towards Grace.

Jens Vec
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:05:18 PM
"Vec, they're waiting on you," grunted the Bothan.

My first thought: Who is "they"? My second though: Do they run the place? My third thought: "Don't act like a giddy schoolboy."

I walk the same path Estelle took and hesitate at the door, knocking so as not to barge in on something I shouldn't barge in on (because that's how you get in trouble around here), and wait. Just gotta take deep breaths.

Grace Van-Derveld
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:29:50 PM
Grace returned the smile, though much bigger then Estelle's. "I think that would be wise and I believe he would appreciate it."

Then the door knocked. "That must be him now."

And with a little more volume in her voice, "Come in."

Jens Vec
Aug 7th, 2006, 10:10:37 PM
I shuffle in, shutting the door behind me. I give Estelle a quick look before letting the eyes drift over the other two. A dude and a chick. I wonder who's the boss. I shift my bags on my shoulders and lean my airboard against my body. I'd stand at attention or salute or something, if I only knew what to do.

"Well, it's nice to meet everybody. I'm Jens Vec, what can I do for you guys?"

Estelle Russard
Aug 10th, 2006, 04:33:52 PM
"Jens, please meet Director Dasquian Belargic, and Assistant Director Grace Van-Derveld" Estelle gestured for Vecs to sit opposite. "I have been filing them in on the Drop Spot and your activities up to our meeting."

Once Jens was seated, Estelle continued, "Perhaps you could tell us (by us she meant Grace and Dasquian) how you think you will best be able to serve the Rebel cause - tell us where you see yourself operating, your ideal work environment"

Jens Vec
Aug 10th, 2006, 09:31:00 PM
I press my palms into my eyes. Oh, hard thinking, how you chase me around.

"Well...really the only skill I've got is riding this pla--airboard," I say, trying to gather some thoughts. Got to use the official names. It's not good to use jargon on anyone who might not be familiar with it. "It's an older model, but it works well. Matches or outruns most speeders used by local authorities. I can drive speeders of varying sizes and speeds, too, so I guess something to use that. Transport of supplies or scouting of urban areas would be the best thing, since I can blend in well with the locals as a street punk or college kid working a part-time job. Or something."

Estelle Russard
Aug 13th, 2006, 02:47:12 PM
Using him as a scout was very much where Estelle saw Jens fitting in. With perhaps the odd courier run. For the beginning at least.

This conversation was more just to familiarize Grace and Dasqian with Jens character. To see how he handled uncomfortable situations -- like scruitiny of his superiors. What buttons could be pressed, and how easily -- what that said about him.

Estelle waited, knowing this was not a scenario anyone in the room particularly enjoyed.

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 15th, 2006, 07:02:26 PM
Dasquian smiled slightly. “We get a lot of volunteers like yourself, Jens. Young people, with a fair blend of skills suited to the urban environment. Not that there's a problem with that... we can always use more undercover contacts. It's a real shame though, because just last week we lost four kids, maybe no more than a year older than you, in a raid. The Empire cottoned on to what they were doing and shot them on site.”

Pausing, Dasquian sighed and shook his head. “The sad thing is, they got off lucky. Usually they'll take you in for 'questioning' and if – if – you come out alive...” he exhaled a puff of breath, “You're never the same again, you know? They break your spirit. It's not easy. I hope you understand that. Not only do you put yourself at risk, but any family and friends you may have, you put them in the line of fire too.”

Jens Vec
Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:47:01 PM
"Yeah, I understand it. It's an intimidating thing to have to deal with, but I'll be alright. It's worth the risk to do stuff like what you do here."

Grace Van-Derveld
Aug 25th, 2006, 04:16:47 PM
"And what do you think we do here, Mr. Vec?" It was a seemingly simple question but it was quite far from that. Grace wasn't entirely convinced that the kid knew what he was getting into.

Estelle Russard
Aug 26th, 2006, 07:15:31 PM
Jens was handling himself pretty well, Estelle thought.

It was a difficult thing to come under the penetrating attention of both the Director and AD Van-Derveld at the same time. She gave Jens a ghost of a smile to encourage him to continue to speak freely. It was important every one understood just what place and perspective they all were coming from.

Jens Vec
Aug 28th, 2006, 11:19:06 AM
I smile a little bit back at Estelle, and look back to Grace.

"You guys steal Imperial equipment, spy on their government, scout their bases and factories, assassinate their leaders, sabotage their technology, and shoot down their starfighters." I shrug, and half-smile, feeling just how very new I am to all this. "I'm sure I'm over-simplifying, but there it is."

Grace Van-Derveld
Sep 4th, 2006, 10:16:18 AM
Vec's blasé attitude wasn't a good sign. "And we kill people when necessary. It isn't because we want to, but because we have to since billions of sentients lives are at stake. They're counting on us."

Grace leaned forward and stared at the kid with narrow, unblinking eyes. "The people you meet here and become friends with could be dead the next day. Our reality is not glamorous. Death is always looming in our futures whether it be ours, the people we are trying to help, or the sentient that is trying to kill us.

So Mr. Vec, when the barrel of a blaster pistol is pointed at your face and you know you're going to die, you'll have no regrets in the decision that you'll make here?"

Jens Vec
Feb 5th, 2007, 01:07:52 PM
"No. I've wanted this since I could walk. I've had plenty of time to consider it and I'm confident in my choice and my abilities. The only thing I need right now is to be pointed in a direction that'll put my skills to good use."

Estelle Russard
Feb 7th, 2007, 09:23:28 AM
Grace's question was a hard one for anyone to answer truthfully, let alone a young person with their whole life ahead of them. Jens answer was a good one, though she hoped if he ever found himself in such a situation, it would hold true for him.

For Estelle's part, she knew she would have no regrets. She'd suffered loss at the Empire's hand and knew beyond any doubt that this work was what was all-important. Too many had stories like her own - and much worse - to not fight for a better future.

Grace Van-Derveld
Feb 9th, 2007, 05:55:38 PM
She tapped at her chin while gazing at Vec with an intense, serious expression. After a moment, Grace relaxed and turned her attention at the datapad. "Would you please excuse us and mind waiting outside for a moment, Mr. Vec."

This was not a suggestion.

Jens Vec
Feb 11th, 2007, 07:11:30 PM
I stand up and walk out, feeling a nervousness I haven't known since I first stood on a plank. "I hope I did good enough," I mumble to myself, leaning on the wall across from the door.

Estelle Russard
Feb 14th, 2007, 09:10:52 PM
As the the door behind Jens, Estelle looked quietly from Grace to Dasquian, unsure if she was expected to offer something further on the young mans behalf.

As eager as she was to hear their take on him, she held still and waited to be addressed.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 17th, 2007, 11:32:12 AM
The Director watched as Jens departed. Once the boy was gone, he turned to Estelle.

“I don't know if he fully understands what he is getting into, though his heart is in the right place.”

At this turn of phrase, Belargic smirked slightly. His father had always said that if your heart was in the right place, it only made it easier for people to hit it. It was people whose hearts were in the wrong place that survived the longest.

Dasquian took a moment to pause for thought. Deciding whether or not someone was suited to a life in Alliance Intelligence was not a simple matter. Although the department endeavored to produce thorough biological and psychological profiles, it was impossible to fully understand and assess a candidate without having seen them in action, so to speak. This meant going out on a limb and entrusting the new recruit with a mission of some sort, and in an organization like Rebel Intel that could be quite the risk, given that there weren't really any 'unimportant' tasks to be done.

“...but if you say that he's ready, I'll take your word for it. You've shown yourself to be an excellent judge of character, with one nameless exception, and I trust your judgment. Grace, do you have anything to add?”

Grace Van-Derveld
Feb 17th, 2007, 11:40:04 AM
"I still need convincing." She said flatly. "He's in over his head."

Grace turned toward her partner and shook her head. "And you know how much I disapprove recruiting like this."

Considering the state of the galaxy, the Rebellion needed every hand possible. There were dangers to enlisting in any part of the organization but Intel wasn't for the faint of heart. Next to fighter pilots, they had the highest death rate. However, fighter pilots had the luxury of a quick death. Spying on the Empire and being caught meant torture and there was never a guarantee that you would be rescued or put out of your misery.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 17th, 2007, 12:14:53 PM
Dasquian wasn't surprised that Grace needed convincing. Of the two, he had always been the soft-touch, much more willing gamble on a potential agents success. Grace, for her own reasons, was cautious, some even said cold. Each was a good counterbalance to the other, even if they did butt heads at times.

“I'd be surprised if you could name anyone who wasn't in over their head when they first came to us. It's not the type of vocation you can prepare yourself for. Obviously I'm not suggesting that we send him out into the field right away... we make sure we keep his clearance level at a minimum, to ensure he doesn't become a liability, either to us or himself. Leave him with Estelle on probation for a while,” Dasquian ventured, mulling over his thoughts. “We can look into the specifics of his 'operation' on Naboo whilst he's under Agent Russard's watch, and evaluate him further before making his admittance official.”

Grace Van-Derveld
Feb 21st, 2007, 09:04:16 AM
Grace mulled it over, hearing the ring of truth to her partner's words. Still, not every recruit that walked in here needed someone to hold their hands.

Sighing, she looked towards Estelle. "What do you think?"

She valued her friend's opinion on this and if Estelle were to watch over Jens, she should have a say in the matter.

Estelle Russard
Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:56:00 PM
"I think" Estelle answered evenly, "that Jens would like the chance to show us what he can do. And that we should give him that chance. He could be doing any number of things for his own benefit, using that little outfit he'd put together - yet here he is." She shrugged, "I think the fact that he left that behind and is here with us, speaks volumes as to his committment."

Sure, Jens was young, and would have all the landmines of youth to navigate. But Estelle was not that much older, herself. Youth was a great advantage and came with a natural fearlessness of the future.

"I will be happy to stick close to him, help him as much as I can"

Grace Van-Derveld
Feb 24th, 2007, 09:54:58 AM
Grace was outnumbered, again. It wasn't surprising. There were only a few times that she could count on her hand in which a recruit was not accepted, but it was because of a glaring flaw that made them an unsuitable fit for Rebel Intel.

It was still a fifty-fifty chance that the kid was up to the challenge. Grace wanted Vec to prove her wrong and not end up in a body bag like the last one that came through here.

"Very well," she leaned back in her chair and offered a hand up in surrender. "Vec will stay with you but I want continuing reports on how well is adapting."

Estelle Russard
Feb 24th, 2007, 04:10:33 PM
Estelle smiled, despite doing her best to maintain her ''professional' demeanor.

"I shall keep you updated fully."

She was glad for Jens. She had confidence in him.

"Thank you" she finished. "Shall I inform Jens?"