PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Cash's American V

Anbira Hicchoru
Jun 28th, 2006, 06:38:04 AM
Anybody else stoked for this new album to come out? I can't wait to hear it. Rolling Stone and EW.com have some pretty glowing reviews of it. If it's anything like the previous four American recordings albums, it should be fittingly bleak and solemn.

<a href=http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/10621325/american_v_a_hundred_highways>Rolling Stone review</a>

Also, I hear there may possibly be an American VI in the wings...that would be awesome.

Eluna Thals
Jul 5th, 2006, 11:19:34 PM
Cool! Glad to see I'm the only person interested in this.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 6th, 2006, 03:51:45 AM
I'm looking forward to the last two American discs, though not as much as you, I suspect :)

Byl Laprovik
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:23:52 AM
Well I've listened to them now, and it's probably not as hit-worthy as the other four albums, but it has such a since of preparation for finality to it, that it's hard to put down. It's incredibly powerful stuff.

Ambrose Braeden
Jul 6th, 2006, 01:08:04 PM
I think that johny cash's cd's have skyrocketed in sales since walk the line came out.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 6th, 2006, 01:15:51 PM
The movie probably did introduce his music to an audience who were previously unaware of it. Nothing wrong with that though. Regardless, I think the American CDs would probably have sold pretty well regardless.

Byl Laprovik
Jul 6th, 2006, 02:11:59 PM
Well, American IV was really the second renaissance (Third if you count the second as the Live Folsom Prison album) that Cash has exerienced among his fanbase. I think the previous American album netted him more fans and acclaim than the Walk the Line movie did, but who's to say. Both brought a ton of young fans into the fold, that's for sure.

Ambrose Braeden
Jul 6th, 2006, 04:22:11 PM
Originally posted by Byl Laprovik
Well, American IV was really the second renaissance (Third if you count the second as the Live Folsom Prison album) that Cash has exerienced among his fanbase. I think the previous American album netted him more fans and acclaim than the Walk the Line movie did, but who's to say. Both brought a ton of young fans into the fold, that's for sure.

Ya that is very true

Yog
Jul 13th, 2006, 03:41:46 AM
American V went straight to the top of the Billboard 200 in the first week.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=2184785

Byl Laprovik
Jul 13th, 2006, 10:28:10 AM
That is awesome!

Rayna Eclipse
Aug 11th, 2006, 05:45:25 AM
Speaking of what has brought people into his music I'd like to point out what introduced me to him, I think its a little unique and kind of amusing. Heavy Metal vocalist Dez Fafara of Devildriver cites Johnny Cash as his number one influence in his songwriting. I found that an interesting influence for a metal artist and found a few songs to check out and find what was inspiring or so great. Now I have a few of his albums...

Patience Darklighter
Aug 11th, 2006, 06:22:26 AM
You'd be suprised how many people cite him as a major influence. He spans almost every genre out there. I know that a lot of punk groups dote on him pretty highly, in particular.

Then you look at the people that Cash propped up directly and influenced, like Bob Dylan, James Taylor, Merle Haggard, etc. It's really cool.