PDA

View Full Version : Gone, Gone, Gone!

Khendon Sevon
Jun 21st, 2006, 10:48:54 PM
Yes, this is another vacation thread with a spiffy title. Okay, maybe “Gone, Gone, Gone” isn’t that entertaining or creative; but, hey, I mean, I tried. It’s not like everyone can make genius titles using nifty spellings and insanely witty words. After all, there have to be some horrible titles to make all of the good ones seem that much better.

So, where is this Evil Emperor of Destruction going? Yes, the place I always go to. For those of you not initiated into the Super-Secret-Cult-of-Cool-Andrew-Facts that place is far away. The rest of you? Ah, brothers in the Cult! I am off to Greece.

My aero-plane (not a regular plane, you see, but one with wings! And loud sounding wind-things) is leaving at 5 PM and I’m leaving home at 1 PM because my father feels like being overly cautious. Daddio and I are traveling Olympic Airways non-stop (thank the gods, particularly Zeus) and have plans to partake in the yummiest of a Greek quick foods once we land—but I’m getting ahead of myself.

I’m not sleeping. That’s a lie. I’m going to go to sleep very late tonight and wake up very early, hopefully that’ll help knock me out for the boring, tedious, and blood-slowing flight to Athens. I’ll attempt to stay hydrated (yay bottled water) and maintain my sanity (I’m bringing along reading material).

Teropita! Tea-rho-pee-ta. Teropita! Yes, I will eat teropita when we land as a victory celebration.

Should I bring my guitar? The world may never know.

Right, so, after landing we have a 2 hour trek to Nafpaktos (the small city we have an apartment in) that will be mind numbing and have horrible music. By this time my iPod will be low on batteries and the world will be turned upside-down and colored in pink and layered in velvet materials. I don’t know if we’re taking the bridge of the ferries, I hope the bridge, it’s faster and beautiful!

I will have a camera.

So, after 2 hours of bleh driving we’ll arrive. We then have to remove blankets and “open up” the place (everything is covered in sheets—see reference to blankets—and… other stuff). Then I get to unpack (the joy of my life!)

Hmm, what else can I use in this diatribe on sanity? Clearly logic and reason have fled.

Oh, I may be writing something rather significant. Time will tell. I’m hoping my extended stay in Greece will fuel some creative juices that have been only tepid lately. That reminds me, I really wish I had a dictionary to bring. Darn.

Eh? I don’t have a hat. No.

My cat is in a ball right now and it’s beyond words. Wait, no, I’ll try: her head is delicately tucked under a stretched and extended paw while her feet cross the bridge of her nose and continue all the way to her pink little ears. Her tail completes the circle of cat-cuteness.

I love America. I had fried chicken and French fries in salute to my lack of American cuisine for the next fistful of days.

How long will I be away? Long. I will miss the 4th of July. Sad, I know.

I’m coming back July 14th. That’s right! You should send all of your gifts of goodness before then so that I may be thoroughly surprised upon my immediate arrival. Yay. Chocolate. Beer. Mysterious holy writings about oddly worshipped dragons. Diadems.

I will have pictures! Yes. When I get back, there will be pictures. Though, I know not of what.

Internet?Who said that! Oh, no one. I typed it. Very well, then. An answer: 20 pounds. Hah! Wasn’t the answer you were looking for, eh? Tricked you!

If I can access a wireless network (nice, isn’t it? I didn’t say steal or hack) from a neighbor or local residence, sure! Otherwise, no. Internet café maybe once or twice.

Should I bring my guitar? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? Gray socks with black pants? If my elbow itches and turns a shade of mauve?

Our apartment is about a 1 minute walk from the sea. You can see the sea, see? I mean, what? Yes. You can see the sea from all three balconies (say that ten times fast! Hah! You did? Damn, well, it was worth a try). The small bit of beautiful water (The Straight of Lepanto, Gulf of Lepanto, Corinthian Gulf, whatever you want to call it) that we overlook is covered in small restaurants and night clubs.

The city of Nafpaktos dates back beyond 400 BC. It has changed hands many, many times. At one point or another it has been under the control of Athens, the Crusaders (4th Crusades), the Venetians, The Turks, The Ottomans (Yes, the Turks), and finally Independence (1800’s).

Patras is right across the Straight and is a very noteworthy city. It has the church of St. Andreas where a part of his finger and skull remain. Not to mention that it’s beautiful and one of the largest cities in Greece (300,000 people).

Both cities still have ancient fortifications all around them. Nafpaktos in particular has a large wall with fortified port and a keep high on a hill. The keep itself is subdivided with inner walls so that defenders could withstand major assaults and continue fighting.

Nafpaktos held out four months against a Turkish assault.

The city is known, historically, as the site of the Battle of Lepanto. Additionally, in mythology it is where Hereclides built his mighty war fleet.

Could you imagine living in those crazy times? Living and dying by the sword?! Wearing spiffy armor and talking a cool ancient version of Greek? Man, think of the great wine!

Wow, this is long.

Fin.

Razielle Alastor
Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:16:41 AM
:( I want to go!

:wave have fun!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 25th, 2006, 07:18:58 PM
Holy crap, I wondered why I hadn't seen you online.

Have fun and I'll see you when you get back :D

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 26th, 2006, 04:11:39 AM
Again I say: damn you, sir. Greece... :cry

Khendon Sevon
Jun 27th, 2006, 04:03:26 PM
yay for War Driving :)

Eh...

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 27th, 2006, 06:33:30 PM
War driving!?

Jaime Tomahawk
Jun 27th, 2006, 07:26:41 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
War driving!?

Think Mad Max

Khendon Sevon
Jul 14th, 2006, 05:43:00 PM
I've come back to about 100+ pieces of spam.

Thanks internet.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 14th, 2006, 07:00:32 PM
The internet says, "thank you"

And welcome back!!! *hugs*

Dalamar DeSang
Jul 15th, 2006, 07:55:58 PM
Welcome back.

Razielle Alastor
Jul 15th, 2006, 08:12:36 PM
Did you visit the temple of Apollo at Delphi?????:crack

Khendon Sevon
Jul 15th, 2006, 08:26:30 PM
I've been there before.

I chilled in the port cities of Nafpaktos and Patras primarily. We have an apartment in Nafpaktos and there's a bridge to Patras linking the two areas.

Razielle Alastor
Jul 15th, 2006, 08:27:51 PM
:o I'm so jealous!