PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight [USE spoiler tags!!!]

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 21st, 2006, 03:07:29 PM
I figured it was high time we started tracking all the rumors and tidbits about MY most anticipated superhero film. :mneh

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/

Plot Outline: Batman, DA Harvey Dent, and Lt. James Gordon face off against the sadistic Joker.

:crack

But then...

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/553/553799p1.html

And which villain may appear in the sequel? Batman-on-Film suggests that it may not be The Joker, as the rumor mill has oft-suggested, but rather another "one that we saw in the previous Burton/Schumacher series."

Of course, the Joker was in the previous series. So...?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/articles/2531.asp

Bale added that as long as Chris Nolan is directing, he's excited about the project and he expects to have the same cast back as well -- Michael Caine (Alfred), Morgan Freeman (Lucius Fox) and Gary Oldman (Jim Gordon). There was no mention of Katie Holmes.

No mention of Katie Holmes!? Horror!

;)

Meanwhile, Batman-on-Film also provided these plot rumors from a studio source: "Who ever told you that the sequel [storyline] is 'fluid,' is correct. As far as the inclusion of Talia [in the next film], I've been told that the Ra's storyline is finished for now. Read between the lines here, ok. As far as [Johnny] Depp playing The Joker, I'd say it is unlikely, but you never know. There is no doubt in my mind that his name has been brought up [for the role]. From what I've heard, the role is going to go to an actor that isn't such a big name, such as [Paul] Bettany, [Adrien] Brody, or maybe even this [Lachy] Hulme character (Your opinion that a 'Name' is not needed is spot-on). Trust me, this is one of the most sought-after roles in town right now!"

I'm really excited for this. It isn't supposed to start shooting until 2007. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 21st, 2006, 09:02:12 PM
Yeah it should be cool. I really don't want Brody to play the Joker the last two big movies that he was in he was nothing but a joke I mean his acting. Bettany I wouldn' t have a problem with.

Eldorack
Jun 21st, 2006, 11:13:07 PM
this ought to be a really good movie then

Charley
Jun 21st, 2006, 11:41:52 PM
Leave the Joker alone :mad or at the very least get Jack to reprise it.

I refuse to see another lesser person sully the role.

I think Batman should fight Paul Allen in this one :)

JMK
Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:55:30 AM
While I would be a little leery of seeing someone reprise the role of Joker after Nicholson was just so damn great, I don't think you can truly have a Batman franchise without having him take on the Joker. I'm sure that if Nolan stays on board they will make a great choice for the role, so I'm not worried about that.

Mitch
Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:51:56 PM
No, don't let Jack anywhere near the rold of the Joker again!

I seem to be at odds with most superhero movies, it seems, but I thought Jack Nicholson didn't do that great of a job, and I didn't care for him as the Joker.

Byl Laprovik
Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:21:25 PM
That is the most blasphemous thing I've heard this year.

Ryan Pode
Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:32:05 PM
Keep Jack away, too old.

JMK
Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:25:55 PM
I agree that he's probably too old now to pull it off believably (though MacKellen was terrific as Magneto and he's an old fart too), but Jack was awesome as the Joker. It's pretty much not a matter of opinion anymore...it's more of a fact.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:04:15 PM
Magneto is a different villain though, he is slightly older so he worked in that role. Personally, I think they could do a better Joker. The Joker in the comics was even more sadistic than the one in Batman. This was a character who killed Robin, paralized Batgirl and tortured Commisoner Gordon. Also I despised the fact they made the Joker the killer of Batman's parents that was just crazy it is the one thing I really hate about that movie.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:52:31 PM
I think that with the 'new' Batman it would be a mistake to cast the 'old' Joker. Not to mention that Jack is too old for the new timeline to be realistic as the character.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:29:15 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
I think that with the 'new' Batman it would be a mistake to cast the 'old' Joker. Not to mention that Jack is too old for the new timeline to be realistic as the character.

That is another good point. Jack did a very good job in that version. I can't deny that, but it is time for a new interprentation of the character.

Sansa
Jul 23rd, 2006, 12:57:11 PM
http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=736

We were first to tell the world that Brandon Routh was going to be the new Superman. Now here we are at it again as we just got word from A VERY TRUSTED SOURCE that the offer last night was officially made to Heath Ledger to star as The Joker in the Batman Begins Sequel!

Droo
Jul 23rd, 2006, 02:20:06 PM
I'm highly dubious. I don't think he'd be the right choice for the role at all.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 23rd, 2006, 02:36:16 PM
It's just a rumor at this stage considering all the rumors I have heard about the Joker, I will wait till the official press release. Also, I have to wonder how close to reality these stories are, since the script isn't finished and they won't be filming the movie till next year.

Sanis Prent
Jul 23rd, 2006, 02:55:53 PM
Heath Ledger really can do no wrong. I've not seen a movie of his I didn't enjoy.

Droo
Jul 23rd, 2006, 02:59:06 PM
There's no denying his talent but I think he's really not the right actor for the role should this rumour carry any truth behind it.

Sanis Prent
Jul 23rd, 2006, 03:05:12 PM
He's got the look for it. You could park buicks in that mouth of his

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 23rd, 2006, 07:04:46 PM
Yeah I was going to say, he does have a very wide mouth, and he's about the right age as far as I know.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 23rd, 2006, 07:09:58 PM
His age is close, in the comics the Joker and Batman are about the same age.

Shawn
Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:15:50 PM
Here's a little photo manip. I did of Heath Ledger when I first heard this rumor:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2753/jokercg6.jpg

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 24th, 2006, 02:33:13 AM
I'll give him this: that picture is freakin' scary. :eek

Shawn
Jul 27th, 2006, 12:30:27 PM
From Batman on Film:
As rumored and expected, The Joker is going to be nothing like Nicholson’s version from B89. “What would be the point in trying to recreate something that was done so well then?”

Expect to see a back story for The Joker and we shouldn’t expect to see him until the middle of the film. “Like Batman in BEGINS.”

The Joker will not be the only villain in the film. “I know you’ve heard this before but trust me -- Nolan and his brother have a couple of surprises up their sleeves!”

“Heath Ledger is perfect for the role as he has never played this kind of part before which is what Nolan was after. Think about it -- if you see Sam Rockwell or Robin Williams or even Hugo Weaving, you’d know exactly how they would play the role before even seeing the film and that’s not very intriguing for fans is it? I have a feeling Paul Bettany was out of the mix after his performance in The Da Vinci Code.”

“From what I’ve heard about the direction of the film expect The Joker to be very creepy and very extreme.”

“Whatever you’ve heard about titles for the film -- pay no attention as the title will most likely not be known until they’ve finished shooting.”

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 27th, 2006, 03:42:14 PM
So is it official then that Heath is the new Joker?

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 27th, 2006, 05:50:15 PM
I don't think it is official yet. I think some websites are just assuming the announcement is coming.

Sanis Prent
Jul 27th, 2006, 08:02:03 PM
I love seeing protagonist-typecast actors playing villains. They seem to do it very well for some reason.

If anybody's ever seen "Once Upon a Time in the West", you'll know what I'm talking about. Who would ever think to cast Henry Fonda as a bad guy, much less a guy who murders a child at one point in the film

Droo
Aug 1st, 2006, 06:20:12 AM
It's official. Heath Ledger, confirmed by WB, is the Joker in the sequel to Batman Begins, which by the way, is no longer untitled:

The Dark Knight.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=24031

Great title. Very curious about Ledger, all I'd need to see is a still of him as the Joker and I'd know whether it will work for me or not.

JMK
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:49:20 AM
I think it's got 'incredible' written all over it. Can't wait to see this.

jjwr
Aug 1st, 2006, 08:59:20 AM
He's a great actor, I can't wait to see what he'll do as the Joker. He has that big grin and he's very athletic so we should see a much different Joker than we saw with Nicholson.

JMK
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:23:52 AM
That's very true. He's a young guy and has done some physical roles before. I wonder how physical a role Nolan has prepped for Joker? And I wonder if the Joker will be a villain that will last for more than 1 movie?

Razielle Alastor
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:43:51 AM
Evil Heath Ledger huh? It has potential. Has he been a bad guy before, that I am missing? I'm going to have to agree with Charley, I haven't seen him in anything that made me go "wow that was awful." So I'm fairly excited. :)

:D :thumbup

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:10:59 PM
I think its a good choice.

*edits title of thread*

The movie title is good too. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 1st, 2006, 04:05:08 PM
I love the title. The choice is good one too. I like that he is closer to Batman's age like in the comics and more athletic so he can do more than Jack was able to do. I have also heard rumors that The Penguin is going to be in the movie too and he is going to be a British arms dealer who has designs on Gotham. The rumor I hear is the offer was given to Philip Seymour Hoffman. Now that would be a great choice.

JMK
Aug 1st, 2006, 04:29:34 PM
Crikey that would be a strong choice for Penguin. I'm so glad a guy like Nolan is doing taking care of this franchise. :)

Jedieb
Aug 1st, 2006, 08:50:07 PM
And my dream of seeing Mark Hamill bring his awesome animated Joker to the big screen dies a sad death. :cry

I think Ledger is a solid choice. Unlike the Nicholson version we get a Joker that's pretty much the same age as Batman and thus more of a contemporary. I'm curious as to how Nolan and Ledger are going to tackle the character. Bottom line, he's a friggin' clown. There are some aspects of the character that Nicholson nailed that you can't get away from. But that still leaves plenty of room to make this version of the character different from what we've seen on screen before.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:43:28 PM
He's more than a clown to me, he is a psycopath. They should mimic the characterization they did when he killed Robin and crippled Batgirl. He was really sadistic in that storyline. I don't think Nicholson played Joker as sadistic as he has been in the comics. Also who wants to see Harlyee Quinn? Since she is now Cannon in comics I hope they bring her in as his partner in crime.

JMK
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:58:12 AM
Given the dark atmosphere Nolan has brought to the franchise I think that Joker will be less clown and more psychopath in this version. And it would be great to see Harley Quinn as his henchwoman...so long as she doesn't take focus away from the Joker character.

Razielle Alastor
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:31:52 AM
It would be unavoidable. Harley stealing the scene, she is just that good. LOL:lol

Jedieb
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:35:17 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
He's more than a clown to me, he is a psycopath. They should mimic the characterization they did when he killed Robin and crippled Batgirl. He was really sadistic in that storyline. I don't think Nicholson played Joker as sadistic as he has been in the comics. Also who wants to see Harlyee Quinn? Since she is now Cannon in comics I hope they bring her in as his partner in crime.

I loved the Killing Joke and back in the day I was one of the many fans that proudly voted to have Jason Todd killed. I'd love to see the character get really dark. Harley is a great character, but I think she'd be great in another sequel where you could have her break the Joker out of Arkham. That's where she met him in the comics and the animated show.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:57:23 AM
Originally posted by Jedieb
I loved the Killing Joke and back in the day I was one of the many fans that proudly voted to have Jason Todd killed. I'd love to see the character get really dark. Harley is a great character, but I think she'd be great in another sequel where you could have her break the Joker out of Arkham. That's where she met him in the comics and the animated show.

I could live with that, if that is what they rather do.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 16th, 2007, 05:22:59 PM
CASTING SPOILER!!!!!!

Oh come on, you all want to know who was cast as Harvey Dent, aka Two Face. ;)

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117959570.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Aaron Eckhart has joined the cast of Warner Bros.' "The Dark Knight" as Harvey Dent aka Two Face, a District Attorney-turned-scarred villain.

Previously announced cast for the sixth Batpic include Heath Ledger as the Joker with Christian Bale back as the Caped Crusader and Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman reprising their roles from "Batman Begins."

Christopher Nolan's returning to the director's chair to helm a script by his brother Jonah Nolan, based on a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer. "The Dark Knight" will be produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan.

Eckhart received noms for Golden Globe and Spirit Awards for "Thank You For Smoking." He's starring opposite Catherine Zeta-Jones in the "No Reservations," the American remake of the 2001 German feature "Mostly Martha."

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 16th, 2007, 11:32:43 PM
He is a very good actor, I would have prefered Edward Norton who was rumored for the part but he is a very good choice.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 12th, 2007, 08:01:27 PM
http://thedarkknight.warnerbros.com/ The website is up, and by website I mean 'teaser page.'

Aurelias Kazaar
May 12th, 2007, 09:02:38 PM
I am so on board it's not even funny.

There are supposedly pictures of Heath Ledger as "Mister J" somewhere. Very grainy and not very good, but they're out there.

Droo
May 19th, 2007, 05:17:17 PM
I believe in Harvey Dent!<A HREF="http://www.ibelieveinharveydent.com"> Do you?</A>

And it looks like someone else believes in him <A HREF="http://www.ibelieveinharveydenttoo.com">too</A>.

This is exciting. On this website, evidently hacked by the Joker, everytime someone gives in their email address, they are given X and Y coordinates to choose which allows them to remove one extra pixel from the image. There is an image underneath and chances are we could see our first studio still of Heath Ledger as the Joker. :D

Yog
May 19th, 2007, 05:28:42 PM
Look forward to see the final image :D

Arya Ravenwing
May 19th, 2007, 05:34:35 PM
I helped out! >D

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2007, 06:02:20 PM
very cool, I can't wait to see that.

Droo
May 19th, 2007, 06:14:56 PM
This is what we have so far. It's definately him. :D

http://www.avi-film.com/joker6.jpg

Droo
May 20th, 2007, 04:25:59 AM
Dear God! That is creepy. I love it.

Yog
May 20th, 2007, 08:29:47 AM
I guess that is creepy and more realistic. But not how I envision the Joker.. hmm. It will take some time to get used to the idea

Lilaena De'Ville
May 20th, 2007, 11:16:55 AM
Ugh! It is creepy! :cry

Wonderful. :D

Jedi Master Carr
May 20th, 2007, 04:10:17 PM
It is very creepy.

Rutabaga
May 20th, 2007, 04:42:10 PM
I saw that at another website this morning, and it freaked me out. I consider that to be a good thing :D.

Droo
May 20th, 2007, 07:39:58 PM
Here's the final, unphotoshopped version. This incarnation of The Joker has truly divided people. I think it's absolutely on the money in terms of carrying on with the style and feel of Batman Begins. Fanboys can whine all they want in my opinion but there have been many different variations on Batman and his villains and there is no absolutely definitive interpretation of the characters. This is the vision of Christopher Nolan brought to life and I am eagerly anticipating a very dark and wonderful Batman film judging solely on this image.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 22nd, 2007, 06:38:42 PM
Anthony Michael Hall (of The Dead Zone fame) has joined the cast of The Dark Knight. No word yet on what role he's playing. :)

Aurelias Kazaar
May 22nd, 2007, 06:58:35 PM
Fanboys can whine all they want in my opinion but there have been many different variations on Batman and his villains and there is no absolutely definitive interpretation of the characters.

For the record, that version of Joker is the 'current' version of the Joker in the Bat-comics as of issue #663 of Batman (although the last issue of 'DC Countdown' had the 'regular' Joker in it).

Or atleast close to it.

*says the Bat-comics reader*

Mitch
May 22nd, 2007, 07:38:23 PM
Anthony Michael Hall (of The Dead Zone fame) has joined the cast of The Dark Knight. No word yet on what role he's playing. :)

Oh, PLEASE let it be Edward Nygma!

Lilaena De'Ville
May 22nd, 2007, 07:56:37 PM
... that's the Riddler, correct?

Morgan Evanar
May 22nd, 2007, 08:00:34 PM
Yes. I think he would make a great Riddler, too.

Droo
May 23rd, 2007, 05:11:08 AM
For the record, that version of Joker is the 'current' version of the Joker in the Bat-comics as of issue #663 of Batman (although the last issue of 'DC Countdown' had the 'regular' Joker in it).

Or atleast close to it.

*says the Bat-comics reader*

Then I've no idea what the big hoo-hah is about. Many like it but there's been a large amount of backlash.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 23rd, 2007, 07:35:49 AM
They're probably just backlashing because its Heath Ledger and they don't get it yet. ;)

Jaime Tomahawk
May 23rd, 2007, 08:23:03 AM
Then I've no idea what the big hoo-hah is about. Many like it but there's been a large amount of backlash.

Backlash cause they are stupid, most likely, ebcause they want a Nicholas style Joker or something like that. I'm quite sure Heath Ledger and the proposed Joker will be utterly awesome and shut the idiots up.

Crystal
May 24th, 2007, 02:19:22 AM
Update on http://ibelieveinharveydenttoo.com/

The photo and such has been replaced by a "Page not found" error. If you select all the space on the page you can see HAahahahHAHAahahAHA, and there's apparently letters scattered in the laughs that says "See you in December"

..I'll be waiting anxiously. :(

Lilaena De'Ville
May 29th, 2007, 08:01:59 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-05-28-dark-knight-firstlook_N.htm

First look at the Joker, plus some boring news about how some of the scenes are being shot in IMAX format. I'm a little confused as to why one would do this, and if theres a good reason then why not shoot all the scenes that way?

One more pic (http://www.sw-fans.net/imagegallery/showphoto.php?photo=332) in the Gallery (supporters only) but I'm sure you can find them online.

Diamond Roa
May 30th, 2007, 10:17:38 AM
My only hope for this movie is that they don't start butchering Batman in the same way they've done some of the other heros in recent movies.

Mu Satach
May 30th, 2007, 10:59:08 AM
Typically that's not a problem until the 3rd movie. :p

Dasquian Belargic
May 31st, 2007, 07:14:29 AM
http://ibelieveinharveydent.com/ (http://ibelieveinharveydenttoo.com/)

I guess that rules out Guy Pearce playing Dent, once and forever. Sigh.

Still, Ledger looks creepy-cool.

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:06:41 PM
I think Ledger will do a serviceable job. He's not a brilliant actor by a long shot, but I'll support whatever will bring butts into seats, as long it is doesn't completely ruin the movie.

Shawn
Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:01:04 PM
Here's another official photo that will give you a hint as to what the Joker is going to look like:

http://seraphim.ecsis.net/%7Egregday/darkknightproductionshot1-1.jpg

It kind of reminds me of Cesar Romero's portrayal, honestly.

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:55:47 PM
huh, looks like they're going for an old old school look, but with a lot of lipstick. Downside, the lipstick will look out of place. Upside? Creepy as heck.

Droo
Jun 14th, 2007, 07:02:47 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33005

New Robocop... err Batman suit. Don't like it, personally. Too much of a leap and it makes me think of Batman and Robin. And I don't like to think of Batman and Robin.

JMK
Jun 14th, 2007, 09:44:19 PM
At least there aren't any nipples.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 14th, 2007, 10:34:31 PM
It looks good to me. I like it.

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 14th, 2007, 10:38:17 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33005

New Robocop... err Batman suit. Don't like it, personally. Too much of a leap and it makes me think of Batman and Robin. And I don't like to think of Batman and Robin.

Me definitely likey that pic. Good stuff :)

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 18th, 2007, 02:08:56 PM
a look at the new "Batpod"

LA Times Article (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-batpod18jun18,1,392372.story?coll=la-headlines-entnews&ctrack=1&cset=true)

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 19th, 2007, 06:56:19 PM
Better pics:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=10927

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:25:38 PM
The Batpod looks cool but I hate the name "Batpod" :p

Spoiler that has nothing to do with Batpods: The Scarecrow is back for Dark Knight. See pic in gallery if you're a supporter!

Ryan Pode
Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:05:55 PM
Well, we know the scarecrow is alive.He was just tasered at the end of the first one. I wouldn't be surprised if he is in the first five-ten minutes of the film as a way to progress from Begins to Dark Knight.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 16th, 2007, 04:22:33 PM
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2007/07/small_grainy_shots_of_joker.php

New picture of the Joker. :)

Hartus Kenobi
Jul 16th, 2007, 04:42:55 PM
Cool stuff. Definitely looks more oldschool Joker. Sorta sad though that he's not the Joker most of us have grown to recognize.

Itala Marzullo
Jul 16th, 2007, 05:04:27 PM
Looks like a Pacino Joker too, I'm sure digging this.

Darth McBain
Jul 17th, 2007, 11:32:13 AM
Looks like a Michael Jackson-Joker to me... :)

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 17th, 2007, 11:42:31 AM
Looks like The Crow to me!

Liam Jinn
Jul 26th, 2007, 06:52:38 PM
Apparently, the teaser trailer for this will be playing in the previews for the Simpson movie this weekend. Saw the news on G4, yup.

Droo
Jul 27th, 2007, 03:08:03 PM
Teaser trailer online now at www.whysoserious.com

Downloading it slowly, but there are different sizes available, just click the fuzzy little box in the bottom right hand quarter of the screen.

Liam Jinn
Jul 27th, 2007, 03:19:37 PM
The Joker sounds pretty cool :)

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 27th, 2007, 03:22:59 PM
Exciting! :eee

Droo
Jul 27th, 2007, 03:28:55 PM
52% for me :cry

Liam Jinn
Jul 27th, 2007, 03:44:08 PM
I don't get it, why are you downloading it?

Droo
Jul 27th, 2007, 04:45:33 PM
Downloading it from a trailers website that I go to, the link is to the Why So Serious website but I'm downloading the largest HD version onto my computer so at least I can watch it whenever I'd like, regardless, it's finished downloading now.

A bit of a bland teaser really, although I loved the line "Some men just want to watch the world burn". Not sure how I feel about the voice of The Joker, he definately sounds psychotic but he also sounds very young, too. Joker: The Teenage Years springs to mind. As awesome as he looks, I think I'm going to have a very very hard time trying not to wish Jack were back.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 27th, 2007, 04:48:33 PM
Very cool, the Joker sounds awesome.

Liam Jinn
Jul 27th, 2007, 05:13:18 PM
Another Joker picture.

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/752/752133/img_4746613.html

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:40:15 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JWjTMPoxaKY

Since the teaser trailer isn't on whysoserious.com anymore.

My comment, "Can this movie come out now. Please?"

Marcus Marzullo
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:53:20 PM
Couldn't Heath straigthen his hair? lol

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:54:05 PM
It looks like he has kidnapped Rachel. My theory for a while is he will either kill her or injury her pretty badly, which would enrage Batman making the Joker is main archnemesis.

Droo
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:25:15 PM
I think they're going to have a very tough time making Batman the star attraction of this film, regardless of their intentions. The Joker is a natural scene-stealer.

Darth McBain
Aug 14th, 2007, 08:16:02 AM
Some interesting info...

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/movies/dark_knight/005607875.cfm

Apparently we might be seeing two-face, though it sounds like they might be setting him up for the third installment.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:41:02 PM
I thought that was what they were doing by casting Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent. :mneh

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:14:46 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1142239954&size=o

A ton of production photos have been leaked, get 'em here while you can!

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:16:55 PM
DC held a panel at Wizard World Chicago on 'The Dark Knight'

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=124975

One of the coolest parts?

But the kicker was the last moment shown, where the back of Harvey Dent's head was visible, and it looked like one side of his face might be mutilated, although it wasn't really showing very well -- and a character was looking at his face saying, "Dent? Jesus, I thought you was dead."

Dent's voice said, "Half."
NICE!

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:19:58 PM
Some interesting info...

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/movies/dark_knight/005607875.cfm

Apparently we might be seeing two-face, though it sounds like they might be setting him up for the third installment.

Beaten to it, Kazaar :)

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:17:33 PM
Yeah...well...well...that info is so cool it HAD to be posted twice :mneh

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 30th, 2007, 06:55:43 PM
This is a spoiler.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IFE5tJ2GUEk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IFE5tJ2GUEk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
This is a spoiler. A building blows up for the upcoming Batman flick and this shows what the name of the building is, so don't watch it if you don't want to know.

But, if you do want to know, then watch it. Its a great explosion. ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 30th, 2007, 07:01:19 PM
Seeing it explode in silence was a little bizarre... but it was pretty good. I wonder who blew it up... :mischief

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 30th, 2007, 07:01:58 PM
Oh yeah, no sound on the clip. ;)

JMK
Aug 31st, 2007, 06:13:16 AM
Just once it would be nice for Batman to show up BEFORE something like that happens! ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 31st, 2007, 12:33:24 PM
I wonder who blows that up. I would guess the Joker right now. Although, I understand the Scarecrow is going to be in part of the movie. Maybe this will be towards the beginning and it shows Batman taking him out.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 18th, 2007, 03:55:12 PM
http://www.whysoserious.com/ Halloween update on Joker's website. :)

edit: And the candle inside the pumpkin is melting - I wonder what will happen when it melts down all the way? :eek

edit edit: Now the pumpkin is turning all rotten. DUN DUN DUNNNNN!

Droo
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:40:53 AM
More Joker!

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/empirejokerlarge.jpg

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 5th, 2007, 06:23:44 PM
Movie poster :)

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2007, 10:23:39 PM
That Poster is cool. The Dark Knight is the moive I am looking forward most next summer.

Droo
Dec 16th, 2007, 08:05:13 PM
The trailer has just gone online. I know some people have seen this with I Am Legend but there hasn't been nearly enough talk about it. And now it's here for all of us to enjoy.

http://atasteforthetheatrical.com/deathtrap/default.htm

The scene in which Batman is riding at him on the bike, and Joker is holding a gun and says "Hit me!" is a great homage to Nicholson and Keaton's showdown involving the Batwing and the immense pistol. :D

There's so much Joker goodness in here. I had my doubts about Heath Ledger in this role, then he grew on me, and when the first sounds and images came out, I was sold. What most amazes me is that I can't even recognise him, it's an incredible transformation and from the glimpses we're given, it looks like an awesome performance, too. Even though The Dark Knight is a Batman film - I want to see it for this Joker. I've been waiting for three days to see this trailer, all the while resisting the urge to check out that bootleg version, and I'm glad I waited. However, the wait for Summer 2008 is now going to kill me.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 16th, 2007, 08:22:35 PM
It looks amazing. Ledger is perfect as the Joker man has he got that laugh down.

Nathanial K'cansce
Dec 16th, 2007, 08:28:19 PM
That looks amazing. I cannot wait for this movie to come out.

Aurelias Kazaar
Dec 16th, 2007, 08:59:03 PM
I'm on board. Midnight showing. Who's with me! ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 16th, 2007, 09:20:35 PM
Well you can tell I am ready for it with me changing my avatar and sig heh.

Yog
Dec 17th, 2007, 11:57:53 AM
The trailer looks good. I still have serious doubts whether the new Joker can match Jack Nicholson's performance. We'll see I guess. A different approach is not necessarily bad. Overall, I think Dark Knight will be better than Batman Begins, because the villain is more interesting, and the whole setting is ready from the bat (pardon the pun).

Droo
Dec 17th, 2007, 02:39:34 PM
I still have serious doubts whether the new Joker can match Jack Nicholson's performance. We'll see I guess. A different approach is not necessarily bad.

I think a different approach is essential. Nicholson's Joker was great for Tim Burton's Batman, a product of a different time. The times have changed and so has cinema and as such, so should our villains. I personally believe it would've been uninspired to try and imitate Nicholson's Joker for two reasons; first, it would fall flat, and secondly, it's Nicholson's Joker and not The Joker.

I only wish they'd have done the same with the leap from Hackman's Lex Luthor and Spacey's in Superman Returns. Less comedy and more villainy, please.

Yog
Dec 17th, 2007, 03:15:12 PM
I think a different approach is essential. Nicholson's Joker was great for Tim Burton's Batman, a product of a different time. The times have changed and so has cinema and as such, so should our villains. I personally believe it would've been uninspired to try and imitate Nicholson's Joker for two reasons; first, it would fall flat, and secondly, it's Nicholson's Joker and not The Joker.

You are right of course. Let me just underline that I am not suggesting Ledger should immitate Nicholson. I'm more concerned if the quality of the performance will be on that level. It's looking good judging by the trailer, no denying that. It's just that great acting performances in action movies nowadays are far and between, and especially like the lightning in a bottle portrayal of the Joker in Tim Burton's Batman. And great scripts are even farther between. Guess I am just lowering my expectations so I won't get disappointed.

Droo
Dec 17th, 2007, 04:02:56 PM
I can understand that but I think having high expectations with The Dark Knight is fairly safe. First of all, Chris Nolan said after he made Begins that he would only do a sequel if the script was superior. Secondly, we know Bale is great, and judging by the footage in the trailer, I think Ledger's Joker is going to be incredible. Also, Maggie Gyllenhaal is a massive step up from Katie Holmes. I'm very excited about it and I don't think they will fail to deliver but who knows? Fingers crossed!

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 17th, 2007, 06:43:31 PM
Katie Holmes was the only major weakness in Batman Begins. I really like Maggie Gyllenhaal replacing her.

Rutabaga
Dec 17th, 2007, 08:31:08 PM
I saw the trailer before I Am Legend, and I think it looks like it's going to be a very worthy successor to Batman Begins. Personally, I was most impressed by Heath Ledger's take on the Joker...like many people, I was a little mystified by his casting, but now that I've seen the footage, I think they made an excellent choice.

And on the Katie Holmes issue...a lot of people knocked her performance, but I didn't think she was all that bad. What I considered the issue to be is that she was simply miscast in the Rachel Dawes role. That role needed someone with some toughness and experience, and Katie Holmes was simply too Miss American Pie for the role. I can't help but think that Ms. Holmes's strange little husband was the one behind her turning down the sequel, and so she can stay home with that strange little husband and do their Scientology thing instead. I'm happy with Maggie Gyllenhaal in the role, I think she'll do a great job.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 18th, 2007, 10:32:53 AM
I saw the trailer before I Am Legend, and I think it looks like it's going to be a very worthy successor to Batman Begins. Personally, I was most impressed by Heath Ledger's take on the Joker...like many people, I was a little mystified by his casting, but now that I've seen the footage, I think they made an excellent choice.

And on the Katie Holmes issue...a lot of people knocked her performance, but I didn't think she was all that bad. What I considered the issue to be is that she was simply miscast in the Rachel Dawes role. That role needed someone with some toughness and experience, and Katie Holmes was simply too Miss American Pie for the role. I can't help but think that Ms. Holmes's strange little husband was the one behind her turning down the sequel, and so she can stay home with that strange little husband and do their Scientology thing instead. I'm happy with Maggie Gyllenhaal in the role, I think she'll do a great job.

You are probably right about Holmes being miscast. She just never seemed right for that part.

JMK
Dec 18th, 2007, 11:44:14 AM
She was certainly miscast. Sort of like the way I feel about SLJ as Mace Windu.

Oops, did I say that out loud? ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 18th, 2007, 11:45:07 AM
LOL well I liked SLJ as Mace, although he didn't do enough to really justify him being in the films.

Mu Satach
Dec 18th, 2007, 01:12:33 PM
Maggie Gyllenhaal has got chops. Am pleased.

Aurelias Kazaar
Dec 18th, 2007, 01:30:25 PM
I'd prefer Maggie Gyllenhaal as say 'Talia Al Ghul' although she's not exotic looking enough.

But I'm also a big Bat/Talia romance fan.

Liam Jinn
Dec 18th, 2007, 04:53:44 PM
I saw this trailer before I Am Legend. Looks awesome, I can't wait! :)

Droo
Apr 25th, 2008, 08:04:05 AM
"Whhyyy sooo sexxxy (http://www.whysoserious.com/itsallpartoftheplan/poster.htm)?"

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 25th, 2008, 08:11:06 AM
^ Link doesn't work. Try: http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7120

Wowwwwwwwww

Spectre
Apr 25th, 2008, 08:19:18 AM
Let me just sit here and purr for a minute...

:cat:yum

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2008, 11:59:53 AM
great poster

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 25th, 2008, 01:28:09 PM
That poster is amazing - I love it! :D

Atreyu
Apr 25th, 2008, 10:59:34 PM
Holy freaking awesome poster Batman! :eek

Cool! :)

Turbogeek
Apr 26th, 2008, 12:47:58 AM
"Whhyyy sooo sexxxy (http://www.whysoserious.com/itsallpartoftheplan/poster.htm)?"

Holy ...... that's awesome. This movie is looking like it will do no wrong

Droo
Apr 29th, 2008, 09:41:50 AM
<A HREF="http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36563">Eeeeeee!!!</A> :eee

Also, keep your eyes glued <A HREF="http://www.whysoserious.com/happytrails/">here</A> on Sunday. There's rubbish quality versions of the new trailer on YouTube but I'd rather see it looking gorgeous the first time around. So exciting!

Flux
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:52:34 AM
I want this movie more than I've wanted half the Marvel movies out there, and that's saying something. Those posters are pure win.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 29th, 2008, 08:03:32 PM
I saw the you tube version it looks great. I figure it will be attached to Iron Man so I should see it on the screen this weekend.

Droo
May 4th, 2008, 05:01:15 AM
http://www.whysoserious.com/happytrails/trailer.htm

:D

Yog
May 4th, 2008, 05:49:32 AM
Great trailer!

It's an odd feeling though watching the joker, for obvious reasons.

Jedi Master Carr
May 4th, 2008, 03:49:12 PM
Great trailer it looks amazing. I love we get our first look at Dent. I love his line about becoming a villain, since he becomes one. It is bitter sweet seeing Ledger as the Joker, he looks great in the part too.

Liam Jinn
May 4th, 2008, 04:30:37 PM
Looks like we caught a glimpse of Two Face towards the end of the trailer. The Joker still looks awesome. Man, I'm sooo ready for this to come out already!!

jjwr
May 5th, 2008, 07:16:45 AM
Also saw the full trailer attached to Iron Man...wow, the Joker is ridiculously disturbing. He could very well steal the movie.

Droo
May 6th, 2008, 05:13:37 AM
SPOILER

Concept design for <A HREF="http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/DentBurn.jpg">Two-Face</A>. And if it looks anything like this in the film... bloody hell!

Atreyu
May 6th, 2008, 08:34:54 PM
Finally downloaded it. Awesome trailer - this film is going to be so good. :)

Concept design for Two-Face (http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/DentBurn.jpg). And if it looks anything like this in the film... bloody hell! Bloody hell!!! :eek

Jedi Master Carr
May 7th, 2008, 05:33:40 PM
SPOILER

Concept design for <A HREF="http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/DentBurn.jpg">Two-Face</A>. And if it looks anything like this in the film... bloody hell!

I think it will be toned down some to make it look a little more realistic.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:44:59 PM
http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=487

^ "20 Dark Knight Pictures You Probably Haven't Seen" :)

Droo
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:35:51 PM
So the film has premiered in New York and the reviews are flying around the internet. I won't link to any one review since they all say the same thing - it's hard to not get overexcited about a film that is recieving five star reviews straight across the board. Fanboy reviews are talking about Oscars for all kinds, especially a posthumous nomination for Ledger's performance.

I really hope it lives up to the hype and recieves all the accolades it deserves because this franchise is spearheading the "Comic Books Deserve Better Films" campaign and is an example for the rest. Iron Man was great fun, it got everything right although I personally feel it's heralded as more than what it is, however, I had zero interest in the Incredible Hulk film. My main concern is what Warner Bros. will do with their Superman franchise since The Man of Steel simply isn't getting off the ground and there's talk of switching writers and directors.

Let Marvel do the goofy comic book films, I want Superman taken seriously, like Batman, because that's what it deserves rather than some tongue-in-cheek post-modern depiction of the characters and scenarios. Verisimilitude was the key word in producing Richard Donner's Superman films and I'd like that tradition to continue. If they do change the cast and crew to reapproach the franchise I'll be gutted because it means they're more concerned with dumbing down the story so that the film accomodates overblown action sequences with a hero and supervillain going at it all fisticuffs. The reason why these new Batman films work so well is because Batman is not a superhero, he's just a man and the struggle is much more real and palpable on the screen, so action and story coincide nicely without one overwhelming the other.

Anyway, that's enough waffle, I just hope the impending success of the Dark Knight bolsters the determination of Warner Bros. to produce comic book films of the highest quality without mindlessly pandering to the masses and the dollars.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:58:51 PM
The reviews have been amazing. I can't wait to go see it.

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:52:12 AM
I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much for this film (Batman Begins is my favorite superhero movie) but just listening to 'The Dark Knight' soundtrack and how fantastic it is...man I can't wait to see this movie.

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:15:48 AM
I have my tickets booked for Friday night!! :eee I'm very excited to see this!

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:48:05 AM
I have my tickets for Midnight, it should be a blast.

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:26:38 AM
My girlfriend and I watched Batman Begins last night! She never saw it and loved it. It was good preparation for Friday :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:38:55 AM
Midnight show here I come! And I have plans to see it again next week. :eee!!!!!!

Droo
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:04:14 PM
You lot are so lucky. I'm going to an advanced screening on Wednesday night so at least until then please be extra careful not to spoil the plot and be liberal with spoiler tags because I'd like to see what others think of the film while not having it ruined for myself.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:10:50 PM
Spoiler tags should be strictly enforced by the moderators of this forum. Unfortunately I'm going on vacation in the next few days and won't be able to police it myself.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:19:39 PM
I will keep an eye on it. I will be here till wed.

Ryan Pode
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:23:56 AM
HOLY LKSADFASDHKJAH SKJA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The movie was simply amazing. Easily the most hyped up movie in my mind since Episode III, hell, probably since Episode I. The big difference here though, IT DELIVERED.

First, I thought I was going to have nightmares of the Joker when this was all through, but after seeing Two-Face, it'll probably be that more. Not to take away from the Joker, who was spectacular, but the effects on two-face... wow. The Joker, Heath Ledger, truly a scary performance. Jack Nicholson should be paired with Adam West, when compared against Heath. Just.. wow. I need to see this movie again.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:54:29 AM
It was amazing. I loved the film Ledger lived up to the hype. He made The Joker a character you didn't want to keep your eyes off of. Actually, the whole cast was great I think Bale did an amazing job. I will defintely have to see the movie again to soak it all in, but right now I say it is the best movie I have seen this year.

Zereth Lancer
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:31:07 AM
I just just returned from seeing the movie. And I have to say it was rather more than I expected. I was thinking that the hype was going to be just that, hype. I haven't followed the hype much so I went in pretty open minded, and was blown away. The Joker stole the show. Heath Ledger was fabulous. I was terrified and grossly enthralled at the same time. My love for the psychotic character made me want to hug the Joker, while my rationale wanted to back away slowly. Truly he delivered a very genuine character.

I, though, was very disappointed with Harvey Dent. I loved his character when he was "Sane", well, as much as you can love a guy who doesn't really do much but get in the way. The emergence of the Two-face persona was great and well played, but I felt that the special effects for his face were too much, even though they looked really, really good quality-wise. And from there he just went the way of Venom. Thankfully, Two-face was much more satisfying then the Venom fiasco

Also, the whole love triangle? What a bore.

Gary Oldman and Michael Caine were fantastic and the new Rachel wasn't too bad, although the movie felt entirely different with a new actress stuck in. And now I am really, really sad that Heath Ledger is dead, because it would have been fabulous to have the Joker at least make a cameo appearance in a future sequel.

And five minutes of Cillian Murphy? Was that even worth it, really?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:56:18 AM
Three words:

Believe the hype.

Zereth - I thought Harvey Dent was awesome, Aaron Eckhart acted brilliantly, and that the entire arc made sense.

As for the Joker... there's nothing to be said that hasn't been said by others more eloquent than I about Ledger's final performance.

The Dark Knight is noir in every sense of the word.

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 18th, 2008, 05:06:49 AM
Best superhero movie ever made.

I'm seeing it again tonight.

There's one scene where I knew it was going to happen, I saw it a mile away, and I STILL clapped for it. It was that awesome.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 18th, 2008, 08:48:43 AM
So Is Two-Face still alive? I think he didn't die. I think Gordon covered it up, although in a way Harvey Dent is dead. I think he is locked up in Arkham somewhere with his face covered so no one knows who he is.

Jedieb
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:01:49 AM
Ledger v. Nicholson
I'll start with this because it's fresh on my mind. I've read more than once how Ledger's performance is so impressive that it now taints Nicholson's. THIS is the good Joker, Nicholson's version is now faulty, passe, not-worthy, pick your slam. I say nothing is further from the truth. I think people are forgetting just how amazing Nicholson's Joker was. He was the main reason people took that film seriously. The idea that one of the greatest actors on the planet, at the height of his powers, would take on the role of a villain in a comic book movie was unheard of. Especially in a Batman film where the only legitimate film/TV image that came to the public's mind was of Adam West using Bat-Shark Repellant to pry a shark off his leg while dangling from a helicopter's rope ladder. (That scene did come from the Batman movie released in theaters IIRC.) Gene Hackman came close to this comparison by playing Luthor in Donner's film, but as good as he is, both his stature and the manner in which Luthor was written fall short of Nicholson. (Otis anyone?) Nicholson and Ledger have given us two amazing performances for us to revel in. They are BOTH Oscar worthy triumphs to geek out over. I never thought anyone could take the role of the Joker on again on film and not get steamrolled by the memory of Nicholson's. In that respect, Ledger overcame an obstacle that Nicholson didn't have to. Remember, he was going up against a slumming Cesear Romero, not a fair contest. I read somewhere that Ledger showed us what Nicholson 'should' have done. I couldn't disagree more. Neither man's version of the Joker could have worked in the other's film. There's no place for Leger's "magic trick" in Burton's Batman film and no place for Nicholson's Joker reveal or "Where does he get those wonderful toys?" line in The Dark Knight. At the end of the day I believe we got two incredible performances that I'm going to celebrate without taking away from either.

The Dark Night
I took my son, who's 9 going on 10, to see the midnight showing last night. I looked around and I'm pretty sure he was the youngest person around. I'm praying my wife doesn't see TDK anytime soon because I'm afraid divorce proceedings will begin shortly there after. It's that dark and violent and I loved every bit of it. We're going to see it again on Saturday. I'd originally considered taking my daughter to see it. After that cinematic cupcheck there's no way in Hades I'd let my 7 year girl anywhere near that film. TDK is a film first, a superhero movie second. I LOVED Iron Man, but this movie is on a different level.

I actually enjoyed that TDK didn't kill off the Joker at the end. The Joker really is Batman's doppleganger. Ledger's line about them not being to kill each other because Batman won't cross that line and the Joker can't bear to lose his favorite toy ring so true. Having Gordon or Dent conveniently kill the Joker would have been too easy. I liked the idea that you were left with the realization that this sadistic bastard would eventually keep coming back to torment Batman and Gotham. That only blind luck or a stray bullet could end Batman's misery. There was no "but I don't have to save you." caveat here to wrap up the villain's story arch. For the sake of these current Nolan/Bale films, I'm glad this Joker won't be returning because I couldn't stand to see Batman go through this again. I also don't see how this battle between these two particular combatants could go anywhere but down.

I'd love to see Dent come back. The ending sets up a rough sequel for Batman. They're going to have to be very careful with their next choice of villains. Nolan has set an incredibly high bar for himself. At the end of the day, most superhero flick's are feel good films. There's a little bit of angst here and there, but it's mostly about a hero laying a beat down on villains that deserve the face plants they're given. There's plenty of fists flying in TDK, but it's seriously outweighed by the emotional toll Batman, Gordon, Dent, and above all else, Gotham, go through in this movie.

Can't wait for Saturday. Anothe TDK viewing with the boy followed by a Chinese buffet. I don't deserve this much gravy.

Yog
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:04:21 AM
I have not seen this yet, but I know of one major spoiler: The Joker is in this movie! :eek

Jedieb
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:12:11 AM
BEWARE OF THE DEVIL, HE MIXES THE TRUTH WITH HIS LIES! :shootin

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:12:55 AM
Ok about Jack vs Heath well acting wise they are close, but this joker is 100% times better and here are my reasons. My problems with Jack's Joker is really Tim Burton. He created this stupid story of the Joker killing Batman's parents. That was plain ridiculous. First it was too convenient story wise and took too much away from the Joker's aura. Also, the Joker is better when nobody knows who he is or was. Giving him an identity hurts the character. Finally, Burton killed him off which is stupid too. I think it more shows Burton knew nothing about the Batman universe and really didn't care either. Nicholson plays the character perfectly but it is just the background that hurts.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:57:15 AM
I agree with pretty much everything Jedieb said especially that this is not suitable for children!!!! except for this:

I think Harvey Dent is dead. Sure, they could say "well you thought Gordon was dead, and voila! he's alive!" but I hope they leave him in his grave for any sequels. His arc was short, but complete. I don't think anyone can say they prefer Tommy Lee Jones to Aaron Eckhart's depiction of Harvey Two-Face. Granted, the character was written completely different in Batman Returns, but still. And while the makeup job was disturbing, it was also really really good. Sort of like the whole movie.

I'd like to see Catwoman as the next villian.

it only makes sense, now that Rachel is dead, for Batman to fall for another woman. So enter the Catwoman. I think that after the Joker, Catwoman is the iconic Batman nemesis.

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:22:13 PM
I want Talia (Ras Al Ghul's daughter) to be in the next one. But that's just me ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:22:55 PM
Why didn't they do a world-wide release of this on the same day? It's so unfair! >:

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:24:45 PM
Tay-tay!! I would love to see that too!!! And it would make perfect sense given what happened in the first movie :)

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:37:08 PM
I wanted that for this film, quite frankly. But alas...oh well.

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:20:51 PM
Well, the last movie set it up for the Joker, so I have no problems with it. Plus having back to back movies about Raz, even if through Talia, doesn't explore the wonderful villains that Batman has :)

Yog
Jul 18th, 2008, 02:06:09 PM
The IMDB score is a phenomenal 9.7 after 4,591 votes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/). This will no doubt drop over time, but I can't remember seeing any movie opening this highly rated. It also has a straight A among yahoo users (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809271891/info), and the Rotten Tomatoes score is at 94% (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight/).

I did not think I would say this, but The Dark Knight is now starting to look better than Iron Man..

Jacinda Blake
Jul 18th, 2008, 02:06:17 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG - I must go again, because.. holy smokes that was the best movie I have seen in a very long time. I'll not repeat everyones prior comments about it's sheer brilliance, I'll just second.

Yeah, my 10 year old really really wants to see it and sadly I have to be firm on this one. I told him I would check it out and my answer is a big resounding No!. Too much violence, and implied violence - Like the various stories of the Joker and his scars for example..

Overall I'm fairly certain I was in a 2 and 1/2 hour state of bliss. :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 18th, 2008, 02:16:33 PM
Yeah I'd say that this movie definitely dances on the line between PG-13 and R. There are a few cutaway scenes that if shown would have pushed it over the brink, imo.

Anytime someone gets a knife put in their mouth I have to look away. It makes me feel funny. :( Well, and remember Pan's Labyrinth? Yuk.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 18th, 2008, 02:41:35 PM
I agree with pretty much everything Jedieb said especially that this is not suitable for children!!!! except for this:

I think Harvey Dent is dead. Sure, they could say "well you thought Gordon was dead, and voila! he's alive!" but I hope they leave him in his grave for any sequels. His arc was short, but complete. I don't think anyone can say they prefer Tommy Lee Jones to Aaron Eckhart's depiction of Harvey Two-Face. Granted, the character was written completely different in Batman Returns, but still. And while the makeup job was disturbing, it was also really really good. Sort of like the whole movie.

it only makes sense, now that Rachel is dead, for Batman to fall for another woman. So enter the Catwoman. I think that after the Joker, Catwoman is the iconic Batman nemesis.

Well I saw him breathing I am sure. I think he could be in Arkham. Also I suspect we could see Talia in the next one. Maybe she will let all of the Gotham crazies out to try to destroy the city as part of her scheme. We could get something like Knigthfall. Maybe have Bane in the story as well.

Jedieb
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:47:51 PM

Dent probably is dead, but they left a little bit of wiggle room, not much, but a bit. But if you work it through logically, the fact that Batman is taking the wrap for Dent's killings in order to preserve his legacy pretty much nails his coffin shut. How could he take the wrap if Harvey is still alive? As for Jones v. Eckhart, I don't think there's much of a comparison. Jones Two-Face was more in line with the 60's camp than the modern Batman films. That film is where Batman started to go off the rails and Jones performance is a perfect example of that. Jones and Carrey were all over the place. As I look back on it now they could easily have squared off against Adam West and Burt Ward.

Ok about Jack vs Heath well acting wise they are close, but this joker is 100% times better and here are my reasons. My problems with Jack's Joker is really Tim Burton. He created this stupid story of the Joker killing Batman's parents. That was plain ridiculous. First it was too convenient story wise and took too much away from the Joker's aura. Also, the Joker is better when nobody knows who he is or was. Giving him an identity hurts the character. Finally, Burton killed him off which is stupid too. I think it more shows Burton knew nothing about the Batman universe and really didn't care either. Nicholson plays the character perfectly but it is just the background that hurts.

I didn't like Burton's Joker backstory either. I did like him killing off the Joker because it was really the first time we'd seen a major villain actually die in a comic book story. For me, it was just great that these characters that I had been reading since I was a kid were finally being taken seriously on film. I think Nolan did something really interesting with the Joker's origin in TDK. Am I the only one that thinks the Joker was probably lying when he gave his two monologues about his parents and his scar? After the first one I got the impression that it was his father that cut up his face. Then during the second one he implies it was self inflicted. During that one I started thinking he was just making it up. Maybe some of what he said was true, maybe none or all. He really is out of his mind and I think Nolan did a good job of leaving so much unanswered. The fact that nothing came up from his fingerprints and DNA was a nice touch.

I'm really going to try to pay close attention when I see it again tomorrow. There are a few details I missed the first time around that I want to try and catch this time. And I really should give props to Gary Oldman. Every once in awhile he takes the overacting train into overdrive, but he was really great.

So, anyone think I should be arrested for taking my 9 11/12 year old to see this? When I was a few months older than him I saw my hero get his hand chopped off. Then a few seconds after that I found out the guy that did the cutting was his own Dad. I turned out okay! :duel

Ryan Pode
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:56:03 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the Joker was probably lying when he gave his two monologues about his parents and his scar? After the first one I got the impression that it was his father that cut up his face. Then during the second one he implies it was self inflicted. During that one I started thinking he was just making it up. Maybe some of what he said was true, maybe none or all. He really is out of his mind and I think Nolan did a good job of leaving so much unanswered. The fact that nothing came up from his fingerprints and DNA was a nice touch.

No. I think he's lying too. Mainly because it causes anarchy and it's just a good segway into cutting someone elses face up. While, I do think the wounds were self-inflicted, I doubt they were done to cheer up his wife because I don't think he had a wife. Not this Joker.

Jedieb
Jul 18th, 2008, 07:01:58 PM
I thought the wife story was just ridiculous. It was so out there that I started to have doubts about the first one which seemed really plausible. I actually didn't like the first one that much because it started to paint the Joker as sympathetic because he'd obviously been abused as a child. I like the idea that evil is just plain evil sometimes. Yes, traumatic things can happen, but you can overcome them. This is another way of seeing how the Joker and Batman are opposites. They each had traumatic events turn their worlds upside down but they chose different paths. The Killing Joke does a great job of showing how the Joker was unable to overcome tragedy the way Batman did.

Droo
Jul 18th, 2008, 08:47:15 PM
Oh God, I'm so excited!

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:10:59 PM

Dent probably is dead, but they left a little bit of wiggle room, not much, but a bit. But if you work it through logically, the fact that Batman is taking the wrap for Dent's killings in order to preserve his legacy pretty much nails his coffin shut. How could he take the wrap if Harvey is still alive? As for Jones v. Eckhart, I don't think there's much of a comparison. Jones Two-Face was more in line with the 60's camp than the modern Batman films. That film is where Batman started to go off the rails and Jones performance is a perfect example of that. Jones and Carrey were all over the place. As I look back on it now they could easily have squared off against Adam West and Burt Ward.

Well I don't think it is necessary that because Batman is taking the wrap, Two-Face has to be dead. They could have pulled a man in the Iron Mask on him and locked him in some padded cell and nobody know who he is. Maybe Batman (through Wayne) pays off some of the doctors to keep it quiet. I have to see it again, but I thought for certain I saw his chest moving, I guess you could throw that off as a goof.

Ryan Pode
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:03:57 PM
Well I don't think it is necessary that because Batman is taking the wrap, Two-Face has to be dead. They could have pulled a man in the Iron Mask on him and locked him in some padded cell and nobody know who he is. Maybe Batman (through Wayne) pays off some of the doctors to keep it quiet. I have to see it again, but I thought for certain I saw his chest moving, I guess you could throw that off as a goof.

When I go tomorrow, I'll be sure to pay attention to that scene, to see whether or not you're crazy. ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:18:40 PM
I looked closely at him, and I did not see him breathing at all. And even if he did, it could be just accidental. Since, y'know, Mr. Echart lives on. ;)

Ryan Pode
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:23:43 PM
I looked closely at him, and I did not see him breathing at all. And even if he did, it could be just accidental. Since, y'know, Mr. Echart lives on. ;)

Lies! Lies! Lies! Die in the movie, die in real life!

Jedieb
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:26:58 PM

When I go tomorrow, I'll be sure to pay attention to that scene, to see whether or not you're crazy. ;)

I could have sworn I saw him breathing as well. LD seems to think he's dead for sure, but like I said, he could easily be 'resurrected.' It's not like there was an emphatic; "He's dead Jim!" moment. I just think there's a lot left to tell with Two-Face. We only got to see the tip of the ice berg with that character. And Eckhardt was so good in the role that I'd love to see him get more to do in the 3rd film. I just wonder where they're going with the next villains. Catwoman seems like a good choice, but the next film seems to have to be just as dark, if not darker. I'm not sure how Catwoman fits into that because she has to be played in a way that you could believe they could not only some day be allies, but romantically involved as well. There are some great villains out there for the next installment; (in no particular order)
Killer Croc
The Penguin
Bane (totally wasted in B&R)
The Riddler (Done very well in the recent animated series)
Clayface (He'd have to be CGI heavy at times, but he's a great character IMO)

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:44:03 PM
There are some great villains out there for the next installment; (in no particular order)
Killer Croc: Can he 'handle' being the main villain or should he be a secondary villain. I love Croc but he's more of a brute.

The Penguin: Yes, but then we're rehashing Burton's movies too much. But I do love the Penguin.

Bane (totally wasted in B&R): YES! YES! YES! I really like Bane, especially with how he was done in the Animated Series. As the kinda contract killer. Could be the mob hires him to go after Bats.

The Riddler (Done very well in the recent animated series): And in the current Detective Comics series. But I'd rather they try to stay away from villains that have previously been used in movies.

Clayface: I'd love to see Clayface. In Batman the Animated Series he was such a tragic villain. It'd be great.

Deadshot would be good as a secondary villain. The Ventriloquist would be interesting (and if done right, very creepy).

Hush (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hush_%28comics%29) would be interesting, but a part of me thinks we'll see Two-Face play a part in the next one.

My vote remains the return of Ras Al Ghul. It's not that hard to explain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_Pit).

But that's also because I'd like to not see Catwoman for a bit more. Especially after that godawful Halle Berry "movie"

Ryan Pode
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:45:08 PM
I think Bane would be a great fit for the series. Hell, all Knightfall was, was Bane letting all the convicts out of the asylum, then waiting for Batman to get tired then paralyze him. Of course they can change up the story a bit, but it be a nice way to pay a little bit of fanservice and spend the first 30-35 minutes of the film having batman square off against all sorts of villians. I'm sure there is unused footage of Heath as the Joker can they can throw in there.

CMJ
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:20:05 PM
With the realistic bent that Nolan has taken these films, I think quite a few of the Batman villains left are simply out of the question.

The Penguin seems to be the most based in a reality type of situation. However, I understand Nolan isn't a big fan of that character.

Catwoman makes the most sense to me for a variety of reasons.

Oh, and BTW - Dark Knight was terrific. I'll try and do a writeup & analysis sooner or later.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:03:33 AM
There is Black Mask and he has never been done. Probably Bane, Riddler, and Catwoman would all be easy to do.

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:35:53 AM
I just got done watching Batman Begins again. You know, 'Dark Knight' really did a good job at building on the foundation set by the previous movie. Which I thought sequels should do (if they're ways aren't 'lost' by movie studios).

Btw, during the semi/SWAT vehicle/Batmobile/Batpod scene. Did anyone else notice a lack of music? I swear, there was no music during most of that scene. The only reason I realized it was when I started humming the Joker theme from Batman the Animated Series, when Joker goes, "Here let me drive!". Did anyone else notice this?

I always thought knowing when to put music in and when not to was a real important deal.

Yog
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:45:54 AM
You know, I am really annoyed this movie does not open here before 25th. :grumble

Jaime Tomahawk
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:26:19 AM
Best movie of the year? No, Wall-E is.

Damn bloody awesome second best? YES!

Not without problems tho. The whole Rachel Dawes thing could have been removed. the actress was nothing more than a board. Ugh.

Two-Face was the one who stole the show tho. AWESOME. He's alive.

Ledger? Oscar talk is stupid. Still, incredible performance. And with a few genuine scarey actions, played the Joker as we think he should be played

A lot of the hype is for real, but a few points we do without. THIS is the Batman we will remember now. Actually, pretty much took superhero movies into an entirely new area, I doubt it will be the last.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 19th, 2008, 07:24:41 AM
You know, I am really annoyed this movie does not open here before 25th. :grumble

Tell me about it... :shakefist

All these spoilers are driving me nuts.

CMJ
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:07:41 AM
I DO have thoughts beyond "Yay, Batman!" but I think what I was most impressed by was the sense that this wasn't really a movie ABOUT Batman or The Joker or Commissioner Gordon or the random cops driving Dent to the jail. It was kind of about ALL of them. The film creates a metropolis that feels like a place where people live and work and, occasionally, cower in fear. Even the city of NY in the Spider-Man series didn't feel quite this authentic.

The cast was pretty much excellent. Gyllenhaal being the weak link mostly because she wasn't given a great deal to work with(Maggie is quite a capable actress) Ledger, Eckhardt, Oldman and Bale all were fantastic.

Some wonderful sequences that I'll get to at a later point. The film felt at once too short and too long. The last 45 minutes or so felt like a new film which themes weren't fully explored. I'm guessing Christopher Nolan's original 3 hour cut more fully expanded the denoument of Harvey.

Dragon
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:51:51 AM
Btw, during the semi/SWAT vehicle/Batmobile/Batpod scene. Did anyone else notice a lack of music? I swear, there was no music during most of that scene. The only reason I realized it was when I started humming the Joker theme from Batman the Animated Series, when Joker goes, "Here let me drive!". Did anyone else notice this?

I always thought knowing when to put music in and when not to was a real important deal.

I don't think my response needs to be spoilerized - since you're mainly noting that there was an extended action sequence where the music was noticeably absent. I agree that this was entirely intentional. First of all, it's a change of pace from the action sequences that do have music. Secondly, that particular sequence is already pretty saturated with sound effects, and a musical score would be pretty much lost underneath the wall of sound. Third, that sequence was particularly hectic and visceral, and any music they could have put there would have taken away from the raw impact of the sound effects and imagery.

I have sort of mixed feelings about the soundtracks for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, mainly because it's Hans Zimmer and virtually all his scores use the same angsty chord progressions. On the other hand, those angsty chord progressions really work for this Batman. It's moody and atmospheric, and it serves the movie well, but it makes for dull listening on its own when compared to more thematic, diverse soundtracks.

Oh, yeah. Loved the movie. Most of what I'd say about it has already been said before. I'll add that most of the negative feedback I've seen has been complaining that the darkness in the movie is suffocating. And that was almost true for me as well. This is not what I call a fun movie. The violence is gut-wrenching, not in terms of gore but in terms of how casually the Joker dispenses it. He is a portrait of unrelenting, remorseless evil that is every bit as repulsive as his ghoulish make-up. I think the movie is about how three very different heroes (as well as human nature, through the population of Gotham) respond to that evil.

The complex interplay of these four characters is the soul of this movie. And while I was genuinely concerned about the direction The Dark Knight was heading, it didn't disappoint me in the end.

While some people have been suggesting that a third movie will have to be just as dark if not darker, I disagree. These movies are not about futility. Batman and his allies are protecting something of value, and they are making progress in a seemingly hopeless environment. I think the third movie (which seems to be all but a certainty at this point) will have to end in a victory, certainly not the cheap, cheesy victories over laughable villains that characterized the Joel Schumaker movies, but a sure sign that Batman is making a difference, that even though his fight may never end, it's still worth fighting. Heck, he's still got a ways to go to make Gotham as safe and prosperous as it is in the animated series.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:21:16 AM
I DO have thoughts beyond "Yay, Batman!" but I think what I was most impressed by was the sense that this wasn't really a movie ABOUT Batman or The Joker or Commissioner Gordon or the random cops driving Dent to the jail. It was kind of about ALL of them. The film creates a metropolis that feels like a place where people live and work and, occasionally, cower in fear. Even the city of NY in the Spider-Man series didn't feel quite this authentic.

The cast was pretty much excellent. Gyllenhaal being the weak link mostly because she wasn't given a great deal to work with(Maggie is quite a capable actress) Ledger, Eckhardt, Oldman and Bale all were fantastic.

Some wonderful sequences that I'll get to at a later point. The film felt at once too short and too long. The last 45 minutes or so felt like a new film which themes weren't fully explored. I'm guessing Christopher Nolan's original 3 hour cut more fully expanded the denoument of Harvey.

I liked that too, you got that from the other secondary characters, even the people on the ferrys felt real. Also have to add that Caine and Freeman were brilliant with what they had. They both had some great scenes.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 19th, 2008, 04:02:14 PM
CMJ, I will ask you this question. What do you think the Oscars chances are? Especially for Ledger? I also know some critics are calling a BP contender not sure how real that is.

Ryan Pode
Jul 19th, 2008, 08:39:57 PM
You know what I liked a lot about TDK that no other batman movie has managed to portray? In the beginning, the scarecrow was a drug-dealer. Nothing more. He was basically you're run of the mill criminal, not some mastermind or super villian. Just trying to turn-a-buck. That's what I like. Portraying the criminals as criminals. That even the "super villians" can be normal. Something you haven't seen in any superhero movies I can think of.

CMJ
Jul 19th, 2008, 08:52:36 PM
CMJ, I will ask you this question. What do you think the Oscars chances are? Especially for Ledger? I also know some critics are calling a BP contender not sure how real that is.

I see these as strong possible nominations...

Supporting Actor for Heath Ledger
Incredible performance of an iconic character

Cinematography
Batman Begins was nominated for the category. Also the use of 35mm and IMAX cameras in the production was something new...and I feel other DP's will respond to that

Editing
The Editing branch usually gives one nod to a action type of film.

Sound Mixing
Strong contender...and often blockbusters shine in the sound categories

Sound Editing
The integration of the effects was excellent.

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:23:18 PM
What about score?

Ryan Pode
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:29:03 PM
What about score?

The score was mostly a rehash of Batman Begins. It wasn't anything spectacular. And though I've seen a good deal of movies this summer, it could be nominated. But from a musical standpoint, it wasn't anything special.

CMJ
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:50:00 PM
I'm not sure what I'm gonna say, so this lengthening of thoughts might not have a real structure.

How exciting was this film? It may not have had had alot of whiz bang thrills, but Nolan had this baby wound up so tightly it hadrly mattered. I was on the edge of my seat thru large sections of the film. It was just hella intense because all the stakes were so hig for everyone involved really.

Gotta love the "magic trick". The Joker was just a superbly written character. Ledger was wonderful with his mannerisms and lanky gait, but damn....the Nolan's NAILED the Joker from the script standpoint. So props to them and then Ledger for fully bringing him to life. My favorite Joker moment was his "I want to make a phone call" line and the follow up explosion. That was sooooo like the wicked character from the comics. He was freaking chilling, but in a perverse way you had to give the guy props.

Though the Joker drives the story's plot, and has gotten most of the critical praise - I think that kinda cheapens the overall film. The story to be about 4 people - Batman, Joker, Gordon and Harvey Dent. Maybe more than anything it's about Dent, and Eckhardt was outstanding as the heroic DA and his fall from grace is Shakeaspearian. Oldman's Gordon is such an underrated part....he brings a natural "no BS" everyman quality to the role that makes you believe in him. Christian Bale, as in the last film, is the hero - but nonetheless has his own struggles which make him interesting. I didn't feel Burton or Schumacher's films ever delved deep enough into this man's twisted psyche like Nolan does.

Now to the ending. Batman is on the run, Gordon has to treat him as the enemy, Fox quits the job and Alfred keeps a secret. This is one of the most "up in the air finales since ESB. That speech by Gordon! It left me breathless and wondering, in a totally good way, "What now?" As I mentioned before only Penguin or Catwoman really make sense to me....and I heard Nolan isn't a fan of the Penguin character, so I don't know. The villain may be the people of Gotham with them after him...or Batman with the people as the heroes. I have no idea what Nolan can do from here, but what a climax.

Oh - the reason I said earlier Catwoman makes sense on a few levels. Rachel is dead. The copycat vigilante angle has brought in a possible in as far as someone dressing up as a Cat and doing nefarious and/or good acts. And last but not least, Lucius Fox's line to Bruce about the new suit "It can repell a cat maybe".

CMJ
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:54:00 PM
What about score?

The rules about multiple people writing music for a film seem to work against it. They are somewhat archaic, and I'm not even sure what they are. But from what I understand if two seperate people collaberated together on the score then it's eligible. But if 2 people write bits of the score independently it is NOT eligible. I have no clue how the two composers worked on this....

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:05:56 PM
Now to the ending. Batman is on the run, Gordon has to treat him as the enemy, Fox quits the job and Alfred keeps a secret.

I don't think Lucius quits because isn't that big sonar computer destroyed when he 'types in his name'? Remember Fox said, "As long as that thing is in Wayne Enterprises, I won't be". I think he stays.

Rutabaga
Jul 20th, 2008, 03:21:08 PM
Without a doubt, one of the best superhero movies ever made. What I really, really appreciate about it is that it did something that no other so-called comic book movie has ever done on this level...it dares to ask questions about the morality involved in being a superhero, especially when you're up against people who have no morals whatsoever.

Beautifully written, directed, shot, edited, and acted...and Heath Ledger's Joker is truly a villain for the ages. I swear, every time he was on screen, the hair stood up on the back of my neck. And I will never look at a pencil the same way again ;). I don't consider the talk of an Oscar nomination to be hyperbole, but I'm not going to hold my breath about his winning the award. I personally think he would deserve it, but I could easily see the Academy holding off so that they don't look like they're following the will of the common rabble. As it is, I was somewhat distressed as I left the theater, realizing again that that major life force I'd seen up on the screen for 152 minutes is gone forever. And the Joker can never be used again as a character...no one will ever be able to replace Ledger.

I was really glad that I was able to avoid major spoilers about the movie, so I was pleasantly surprised by the quick cameo by Cillian Murphy as the Scarecrow. And I was COMPLETELY surprised that Rachel blew up and is gone. That was nearly devastating in some ways, at the moment it happened I couldn't believe that they dared to do it.

And they did a magnificent job of portraying the whole twisted Batman/Joker relationship. I've always thought that the Joker was the best Batman villain because they really are two sides of the same coin (sorry, Mr. Dent, but it really is the right analogy :lol)...one is completely over the edge, and the other one is teetering on the edge. That's why the scene in the interrogation room was so important, especially when Bruce jammed the chair under the doorknob and started going to town on the Joker. And the way they portrayed Harvey Dent just added more to the mix. It was terrific.

And I agree that the ending is probably the bleakest ending I've seen to a sequel since TESB...Batman is now a villain to Gotham, Rachel is dead, Fox has apparently left Wayne Enterprises, the Batmobile is thrashed...how will Bruce Wayne and Batman recover from this? Right now, I think my mother's speculation is probably somewhat on the mark, that some situation is going to come up where Batman will completely redeem himself in the eyes of Gotham City. But at this point, right now, I'm thinking that if you thought The Dark Knight was dark and intense, we probably haven't seen anything yet.

If I have even one quibble with the movie, it's that it felt a little too long. But I think this is a movie that demands to be seen more than once, and I have little doubt that that feeling of the movie dragging at points will go away on further viewings.

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:34:14 PM
I'm betting it's going to be one of those situations where Batman is seen as a villain by police/government, but in the eyes of the general population he's not.

I still don't think Lucius quit. ;)

I also think there are a ton of ways to go in the third one (which Nolan is apparently all ready running over plot ideas). If the Gotham Police/Government are after Bats, they could bring in 'outside forces' like Deadshot, Bane, Deathstroke to go after him. That could be interesting, but like I said, there are a ton of ways to go.

Oh, two things I really dug about this film:

1) The villain didn't die (even if we don't know about Harvey yet.)

2) The villain did NOT find out who Batman was. I hate, hate, hate, hate HATE it, when directors do this! It drives me NUTS! With Ras in Batman Begins that makes sense because...well...he's Ras. But the Riddler and Two-Face in Batman Forever finding out who Bats is drove me crazy. I hate it almost as much as the love interest always figuring it out.

Quick question: Did Joker in 'Batman' and Penguin in 'Batman Returns' figure out who Bruce was? I actually have only seen bits and pieces of those movies.

Jacinda Blake
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:34:26 PM
[quote=CMJ;274932]

I don't think Lucius quits because isn't that big sonar computer destroyed when he 'types in his name'? Remember Fox said, "As long as that thing is in Wayne Enterprises, I won't be". I think he stays.

That was the impression I had too. Especially with the line about 'having faith rewarded' or something to that effect - part of Dent's Eulogy, I think? I'm pretty sure Fox stays too. :)

Ryan Pode
Jul 20th, 2008, 05:57:30 PM
Quick question: Did Joker in 'Batman' and Penguin in 'Batman Returns' figure out who Bruce was? I actually have only seen bits and pieces of those movies.

In Batman Returns, at the end, Penguin, Christopher Walken (another villian) and Catwoman all find out who batman is, because his mask was taken off or destroyed somehow, I forget. But Christopher Walken and the Penguin die, as does Catwoman allegedly, right after that.

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 20th, 2008, 09:29:44 PM
I knew about Catwoman but not the others. Thanks.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 20th, 2008, 10:58:24 PM
Although Catwoman didn't die. I don't think the Joker knew in Batman 89 although when he told him you killed my parents, he responded with I was kid when I killed your parents. Of course that was a goof by the writers. I also don't think we have seen the last of the Joker on film. I just think it will probably be a while. Maybe after another restart or they throw in a Justice League movie or something.

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 21st, 2008, 07:50:30 AM
I agree that Lucius didn't quit. he had a smile on his face when the computer blew up. the kind of smile that he should have known better that Bruce was only using the computer for the greater good, in finding the Joker.

Also can someone explain to me Jim Gordon's son? I will admit ignorance in some Batman history, but I don't remember a son. The only issue I had with the movie is wondering why he was there and it wasn't baby Babs in that exact scene. Seriously!!! That would have been the perfect way to bring in Batgirl in the future if they wanted >_< :shakefist

So does anyone know where the kiddo is from? Without anything to go by, I wonder if he is going to be a Robin in the future because they sure seemed to be grooming him to be like that. In his eyes, batman does no wrong. he knows the truth and idolizes him.

As someone that lives in Chicago, I think it is awesome my town is Gotham City :D I knew where all the scenes were located :D it was great! :D

My mom actually had some of the crew in the store during the filming of the movie because she works at a tailor/dry cleaning supply and needed stuff :D

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 21st, 2008, 10:44:48 AM
It's a reference to Batman: Year One
Post-Crisis

In Post-Crisis continuity...James Gordon has a brother, Roger Gordon. James and his wife, Barbara Eileen Gordon, are the parents of a son, James Gordon, Jr. (Batman: Year One) and daughter Barbara [[note from Taylor: whether Barbara is Gordon's kid or his niece is in dispute. Do NOT ask me because I think it's stupid]]...However, the couple divorced and James retained custody of Babs, while Barbara moved to Chicago with James, Jr. (Secret Origins #20). Barbara and James, Jr. are rarely mentioned and presumably still reside in Chicago.

That's from Gordon's wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gordon_%28comics%29)

I think the inclusion of Gordon's son is more to show how the Gotham City citizens appreciate Bats (while the cops and politicians don't). It's like the scene in Batman Begins where the boy goes, "Everyone's been talking about you...No one will believe me." Then Bats tosses him the periscope deal. I liked that scene because I've never thought Batman was scary to anyone who didn't need to be scared by him.

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 21st, 2008, 12:47:48 PM
ok that makes more sense. I just wish it was just about Babs more :)

Morgan Evanar
Jul 21st, 2008, 07:50:20 PM
If you haven't seen this movie go see it already.

GO!

Droo
Jul 24th, 2008, 06:54:37 PM
I'm too tired to write a full account of my feelings about this film but for now suffice to say that The Dark Knight was better than I imagined it could be, and that's about the highest praise I could give it.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 24th, 2008, 10:36:36 PM
Cool I figured you might say something like that :)

Darth McBain
Jul 25th, 2008, 06:57:04 AM
Just saw it last night, and all I can say is WOW!!! I was blown away. Even my wife, who typically is somewhat ambivalent about movies like this, came out raving about it.

That said, I don't think it was perfect. For one thing, I think it too long and could have stood to be 10 minutes shorter. A few scenes just seemed to drag for me. I also had a little trouble buying into the whole Harvey Dent thing and how he goes, rather conveniently, from the good guy to Two-Face. Also, I thought the appearance of Scarecrow was not really necessary and could have been cut.

As for Heath Ledger's Joker, I was completely blown away. I have always respected him as an actor, though he wasn't ever on my top list. Now I want to go back and see some of his other work. He didn't hold anything back in his Joker portrayal, and the result is a fantastically twisted, brilliant performance. I have purposefully been trying to avoid the hype and just judge his performance on its own merits. He was incredible. So much so that I have to agree with those looking for a posthumous Oscar - I think his performance might have the potential to pull that off.

I loved the ending, how Batman made the decision he had to. It summed up the quote nicely, "You either die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian".

I wonder how they will continue with a third one, if they will continue with the dark tone of the second, or if they will move it in a different direction.

Figrin D'an
Jul 28th, 2008, 05:46:29 PM
Saw the movie last night. I loved just about everything about it (besides the annoying woman in the upper rows the theatre who cackled loudly at even the slightest of jokes).

I do think Ledger deserves an Oscar nomination. He would have no chance to win it, but he at least deserves that recognition of his performance (and on it's own merits, not because of his death). It drove the film, and it was quite possibly the most disturbingly fascinating yet believable interpretations of a truly evil character that I have seen since Anthony Hopkins donned the mantle of Hannibal Lector in 'Silence of the Lambs.'

The writing of 'The Dark Knight' is the strongest of any of the new era of superhero films. I can only hope that Christopher Nolan continues the series in the mold of this film. He sets things up beautifully for the third film, and now only needs the right choice of villain.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 29th, 2008, 12:51:11 AM
I still think *****Catwoman**** for the next villian. If that's a spoiler, as its speculation. Anyway its because of the ***cat*** comment Fox makes in regards to the new Batsuit.

Now, actresses for the role? Lets see... NOT HALLE BERRY.

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 29th, 2008, 12:55:13 AM
Anyway its because of the ***cat*** comment Fox makes in regards to the new Batsuit.

Fft, I think that was just a throwaway comment. As for Halle Berry as Catwoman, boy I sure hope not. I think they just want to forget that movie all together.

Kinda like the fourth Bat-film, whatever it was called. I erased it from existence. Or mine at least.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 29th, 2008, 11:15:01 AM
I think I'm finally getting to see this tomorrow - then at last I can peak at what all of these maddeningly intriguing spoilers are!

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 29th, 2008, 12:47:31 PM
I still think *****Catwoman**** for the next villian. If that's a spoiler, as its speculation. Anyway its because of the ***cat*** comment Fox makes in regards to the new Batsuit.

Kiera Knightly maybe? Also I don't think speculating on villains for the next film is a spoiler. Catwoman might be in it, but we have others to consider. Here is a short list of who is left that is doable. I am leaving out the monster type villains like Killer Croc and Clayface.

The Riddler- He is obviously the highest profile one left. Of course I am not sure if he could really drive a whole plot. I could see him used as a side villain.

Catwoman She makes a lot of sense just to be in the film. I don't think she could be the main focus but a love interest/ distraction for Batman.

The Black Mask- I think he could be a the main villain now. In the comics, his character hates Bruce Wayne and you could make that his story. Maybe have the Riddler or another villain as one of his men.

Bane- Bane would have to be a hired thug. He doesn't work on his own. Although I am not sure if you could ever do a story like Knightfall in the movies.

Deadshot- Deadshot could be cool maybe have him hired by Black Mask to kill Bruce wayne.

Poison Ivy She could be tough, you obviously would have to change her character a lot to fit the films. She definitely couldn't be controlling plants. Maybe an eco-terrorist.

The Mad Hatter He is also tough more that he usually seems like he belongs in the 60's tv series. His MOM is interesting in Mind control that could make for an interesting movie but he would have to be a pretty dark version of the character.

Talia Ah'Ghul- I thought about her maybe coming back for revenge for her father's death. My only problem is that some of it might seem like a rehash of Begins.

Droo
Jul 29th, 2008, 06:14:54 PM
The night is much cooler than it has been since Thursday so I'm no longer too irritable to write a summary of my views on this film. I've seen it twice so far and I'll definately see it again but as far as I'm concerned, everyone who has been to see The Dark Knight once should feel obliged to see it again. We got a hell of a deal to pay a standard fee to go see what is essentially, when you sum up the quantity of quality on screen, two excellent films rolled into one. Blockbusters of this quality are too scarce and deserve all the money they rake in; quality film-making, especially in the mainstream, needs to be put up on a pedestal to show the rest how it's done.

First thing's first, this film is relentless in pace and execution. It almost feels like Christopher Nolan made Batman Begins just so he could make this film - by the end of Begins all the pieces were in place and from the very beginning of the Dark Knight, the audience is thrown head first into a story which unravels at break-neck speed for almost two and a half hours. I can't even remember when I last saw a film so fully-loaded, in fact, I was worried that I'd find the copious amounts of plot twists and revelations a bit baggy the second time around. It didn't feel the slightest bit bloated and this is thanks to a masterfully crafted script: character, story, action, humour, ideas and set pieces, it has it all balanced and wonderfully entertaining at the same time.

I feel a bit guilty saying this: Heath Ledger is the star of the movie. I could spew forth psychadellic hyperbole praising his performance for the rest of this post and list all the reasons why but not to slight the work of anyone else on the production, but I just found the Joker the most entertaining aspect of the film. The acting was first class all around, next to Ledger I'd put Gary Oldman in a very close second, he was wonderful and I felt for Gordon more than any other character. In fact, Gordon in this film reminded me of Tommy Lee Jones's character in No Country for Old Men in that here you have the human anchor at the centre of all these superhuman personalities in the Joker, Batman, and Harvey Dent. "Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not a hero..." Hands down my favourite moment when he said that, absolutely hair-raising.

If I were to compare the two motion picture Jokers, I'd say first of all that Heath's spanks Jack's for me. In Tim Burton's Batman that is exactly what we got: Tim Burton's Batman. The man is an auteur in his film-making, and naturally, the Joker we got was perfect for his vision but it isn't the Joker from the comics. We saw Jack Nicholson's Joker in Tim Burton's Batman. In the Dark Knight, we get the Joker and we get Batman. Heath's performance is hilarious, terrifying, and mesmerizing. I've not been so transfixed by a villain since Hannibal Lecter. In fact, the moment when the Joker escapes and is riding in the back of a police car is very reminiscent of how Lecter's escape was handled in Silence of the Lambs; the music crescendos and cuts to a silent shot of Clarice's friend sprinting down a hall in a panic, similarly, the music crescendos and cuts to a silent shot of the Joker escaping the police in a car. It felt very similar both times I watched it. So extra props goes to Christopher Nolan for invoking the spirit of the Silence of the Lambs. :thumbup

I'm not really going to touch on the plot because there's so much of it to talk about. What I will say is I love being surprised by stories and this one caught me off guard numerous times, and each time I thought "I'm so glad I avoided spoilers" (Except that concept design of Two Face I posted - I was amazed they stuck by their guns with that one). What impressed me a great deal was the way that this is very much a film about ideas, amongst other things, but the simple themes of dark and light and succumbing to our darker impulses and fighting for the soul of Gotham thrown in amongst all this crime thriller mayhem really stood out and allowed the audience to really sense the inner struggle of characters like Bruce Wayne and Harvey Dent. This is all thanks to the part that was written for the Joker, how that character is handled throughout the film makes him the perfect antagonist who "does things" and drives the plot forward with crushing momentum. Everytime a set piece closes, another dilemma kicks into gear and by the end of the film I felt literally breathless with exhileration. The last film to have that effect on me was the Return of the King.

Peter asked me if The Dark Knight is in my top ten or twenty and I told him I didn't know because time will tell but I won't rule it out because it really is such a superb piece of cinema. It is a comic book movie that goes completely unhindered by the stereotypical expectations of the genre and takes itself completely seriously, as it deserves, and as a result the effect is the same as what was achieved with Casino Royale. This isn't a great comic book film, it has no peers in the genre, but simply a wonderful film and a perfect example of how intelligent a blockbuster film can and should be. And as far as Heath Ledger and Oscar nominations go: if Javier Bardem can win a Best Supporting Actor award for his villain last year, then so can Heath Ledger.

Ryan Pode
Jul 30th, 2008, 05:47:07 PM
Kiera Knightly maybe? Also I don't think speculating on villains for the next film is a spoiler. Catwoman might be in it, but we have others to consider. Here is a short list of who is left that is doable. I am leaving out the monster type villains like Killer Croc and Clayface.

Deadshot- Deadshot could be cool maybe have him hired by Black Mask to kill Bruce wayne.

Incrediably small Gotham Knight spoiler Killer Croc and Deadshot made appearances in Gotham Knight.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 31st, 2008, 10:16:40 AM
http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0731/deppj.html

'Sweeney Todd' star Johnny Depp is being tipped to play The Riddler in the next Batman sequel.

Following the huge box office success of the Christopher Nolan- directed 'The Dark Knight', producers are hoping that they can convince Depp to take the role.

The National Enquirer also reports that studio bosses are hopeful that Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman will take on the role of The Penguin.

Earlier this week it was reported that Angelina Jolie was interested in taking the role of Catwoman in any planned sequel to 'The Dark Knight', which has grossed over €280m worldwide.

I can't imagine Depp as the Riddler :huh

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 31st, 2008, 10:47:58 AM

Incrediably small Gotham Knight spoiler Killer Croc and Deadshot made appearances in Gotham Knight.

where?! O_O

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 31st, 2008, 11:22:20 AM
http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0731/deppj.html

'Sweeney Todd' star Johnny Depp is being tipped to play The Riddler in the next Batman sequel.

Following the huge box office success of the Christopher Nolan- directed 'The Dark Knight', producers are hoping that they can convince Depp to take the role.

The National Enquirer also reports that studio bosses are hopeful that Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman will take on the role of The Penguin.

Earlier this week it was reported that Angelina Jolie was interested in taking the role of Catwoman in any planned sequel to 'The Dark Knight', which has grossed over €280m worldwide.

I can't imagine Depp as the Riddler :huh

I think that is just gossip, no way could they get Angelina and Depp in a Batman sequel together. I think Depp could play the Riddler (it would have to be a much darker version). I think he can pull off any role though. Still, it would cost like 25 million to get him. I don't think Angelina could play Catwoman. She doesn't look the part to me. I really can't think of anybody off hand for her. I thought maybe Keira Knightly but am not sure there.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 31st, 2008, 11:25:47 AM
I hope they DON'T pick Kiera, I can't imagine her as Catwoman. She's waaaaay too young, imo.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 31st, 2008, 11:47:06 AM
Keira would make a crappy crap crappy Catwoman. Also I am sick of seeing her in everything. Give some other actresses something to do >: It needs to be someone weird, and dangerous... someone over at SomethingAwful suggested Rosario Dawson, I can picture that.

The problem I have with Johnny Depp is that he is... Jack Sparrow. I don't know, it just feels like since he took that role, everything else has been coloured by it. Sweeney Todd felt like Tim Burton's Jack Sparrow, to me. As I said about Keira Knightley, I'd much rather see them give the part to someone talented by who isn't so commonly seen in Hollywood... like Crispin Glover.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 31st, 2008, 12:50:10 PM
Keira would make a crappy crap crappy Catwoman. Also I am sick of seeing her in everything. Give some other actresses something to do >: It needs to be someone weird, and dangerous... someone over at SomethingAwful suggested Rosario Dawson, I can picture that.

The problem I have with Johnny Depp is that he is... Jack Sparrow. I don't know, it just feels like since he took that role, everything else has been coloured by it. Sweeney Todd felt like Tim Burton's Jack Sparrow, to me. As I said about Keira Knightley, I'd much rather see them give the part to someone talented by who isn't so commonly seen in Hollywood... like Crispin Glover.

Crispin Glover is a horrible actor. He hasn't done anything good since Back to the Future. About Depp he is playing Johnny Dillenger in Public Enemies and I think that will be different for him.

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 31st, 2008, 01:18:28 PM
where?! O_O

Deadshot's in the final chapter of the story (wearing the cowboy hat) and Croc is in the story dealing with Scarecrow and the priest.

Ryan Pode
Jul 31st, 2008, 03:47:11 PM
where?! O_O

Deadshot's in the final chapter of the story (wearing the cowboy hat) and Croc is in the story dealing with Scarecrow and the priest.

I think she mistook Gotham Knight for Dark Knight.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 31st, 2008, 05:54:56 PM
Wow, I just got back from seeing this (finally). I haven't felt this affected by a movie in a long time. I spent the whole time watching on edge, not knowing what was around the corner - and even now I'm still feeling a little shaken by it. Incredible.

Miranda Tarkin
Aug 1st, 2008, 01:41:46 PM
Actually no I didn't. I didn't realize they were in Gotham Knight - haven't seen it yet and don't know those characters well :p

And when I meant where, I meant where in the stories. So thanks Tay-tay!

Jedieb
Aug 4th, 2008, 10:53:06 AM
I took it for granted that Fox doesn't quit. As he walks away from the computer he smiles. His faith in Batman is restored because the equipment is destroyed.

I NEVER liked the constant unmasking of Batman in films. It was incredibly annoying and unfaithful to the character. In Batman Begins Keaton WILLINGLY unmasks himself in front of Catwoman AND Walken's character. For no other reason than to try to convince Catwoman not to kill. Yeah, great idea Bruce. Then what happens if you succeed and the villian of the film now knows your true identity? STOOOPID.

In Burton's Batman I think the Joker's line about killing Batman's parents started with "I must have been a kid when I killed..." So I don't think he ever made the connection between Wayne and Batman.

I've run some numbers and it looks like $500M is a lock. But I don't see TDK reaching Titanic and $600 unless it has a trend defying week in the next month. Titanic had a couple of those. Weekends where its gross actually INCREASED instead of declining. In fact let me look it up real quick... Yeah, Titanic's grosses increased in weeks 2, 5, 7, and 9. 9 was particularly incredible because it was a 22% jump that gave the boat a $28M weekend to start off it's 3rd month. Strong holds and that week gave it the legs to cruise to $600M. Without some kind of jump I don't see how TDK can reach $600M. It might do it with a couple of even weeks, but I doubt it. It did a nice job of beating back The Mummy this weekend and I think it has a good shot at defeating Pineapple Express next weekend. It's reign at #1 should end with The Clone Wars.

Peter McCoy
Aug 5th, 2008, 01:10:43 AM
The Joker, aka Jack Napier in Batman, as far as dialogue goes, does make the connection. The line is "I was a kid when I killed your parents..." so he surely must be aware of who Batman really is.

Rutabaga
Aug 16th, 2008, 06:38:54 AM
A version of the original Dark Knight trailer as performed by kids, it's too cute not to share:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xy673zWHUOw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xy673zWHUOw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>