PDA

View Full Version : The Empire and Sith

Lamar Starworth
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:29:13 PM
I was wondering at the time of the Imperial reign, how did they present the Sith. I know that Emperor Palpatine wasn't in full control of the COMPNOR, with all the day-to-day control coming from different, lower names.

However, people were knew of the Sith at the time of the Great Purge. I was just wondering, since all the propoganda was still under the umbrella of the Emperor how the topic was handled?

I'm just interested because it could add a twist to my character, meanwhile I also am very curious if we here have our own light on it. I believe, personally, that the topic wasn't touched at all.

Yet and still, I wonder if anyone could study or learn about the old wars that it created between Sith and Jedi. I know most of the text about the Jedi was completely deleted from Galactic Empire's planet, but that would also correspond with the Sith.

Would that mean in Obroa-Skai libraries there was nothing about those wars that happened, such as the Jedi Civil War, or Sith Empire, or Mandalore War. Almost everything draws back to that, since it is history, so there is no way truly to delete it form the text without leaving something to lie to the public about. Someone must have stumbled over it, kinda like the whole event with Yoda on Dagobah on that person who came there.

So...anyone else got some input bout it?

Karl Valten
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:54:27 PM
The Inquisitoriate would've made sure that all public records of both the Sith and Jedi were destroyed so that they could mold the public view of force users to the Empire's benefit. To the public, all force users are a threat, wether dark, light, or in between.

However, the Ministry of Intellgence, the Inquisitoriate, and select few other groups would have archives of that history. Of course you could probably records of varying accuracy the farther you get from Imperial space, the INQ, as much as they'd like, can't be every where at once.

Lamar Starworth
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:03:55 PM
So would Ossus be unschaved since it is out in the Outer Rim and the only that has touched in the last few years would be the Dark Repear that was tested there?

And Telos IV too. That is another place that holds Jedi artifacts, holocrons and such and seemingly left untouched, at least the Telos Jedi Academy, for almost 4,000 years.

Karl Valten
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:33:39 PM
I'd say thats a safe assumption for both of those locations.

Tiberius Anar
Jun 21st, 2006, 02:52:31 AM
This is an interesting question. History would be distorted to put a negative light on all force-users. The Jedi-Sith distinction would not be made. "Force-users" is the term.

For the masses this is a simple black and white depiction based off the "Jedi coup" and the actions of the Sith in their various wars. Combined those are enough to drown out the good things- especially if lots of names are used and the Jed-Sith distinction is not used. The Sith War would be depicted as a battle between one group of force users against another group in which a great many ordinary people died.

The more enlightened or thoughtful would of course need more subtle handling. Imperial propagandists are not stupid enough that everyone would buy the "All force users are evil, always have been always will be" line. Instead they would carefully blur the distinction- admitting that some force users were indeed great and good (especially those who are still within living memory) but that these were the exceptions and that, overall it is better to be safe than to be cleaved in two with a lightsaber.

Education would obviously play a big part in all of this. COMPNOR's education heads also occupy posts within the government (much as the Soviet Minister of Education was often a leading figure within the Komsomol youth movement of the Communist Party) and they would use this postion. Education would simplify history in the much the same way as it does in schools in the real world, just with deliberate intent. So the use of the term "Force-user" in place of Sith, Jedi an unaligned would be comparable with the teaching that the Reformation in Europe was Protestants versus Catholics, rather than reforming Catholics versus conservative Catholics- except obviously in our galaxy this simplification is made to deeive people rather than to avoid confusing them.

Lamar Starworth
Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:29:10 PM
So, basically anyone born under the umbrella of the New Order's Era would basically be casted into a world where they had no choices on how they felt about Jedi/Sith because they never encountered one.

Except for the special ones who have...

If so, I find that to be interesting, because all those people around the age of 29 or so could have easily found themselves bumping into Jedi at a young age. Seeing how Jedi have strong, lasting impressions, they could be still seen as heroric figures amidst those people.

However, Sith is a subject that many have not dealt with in numerous centuries, despite the fact that they were ruled be two. In that case no one would have any lasting impression on them, despite those around the age of 30+ and have no succumb to the propoganda.