PDA

View Full Version : Thread Idea

Karl Valten
Jun 6th, 2006, 05:04:12 PM
Ok, a couple of the threads we’ve done for the INQ have been to lead of for Khendon’s coup (whenever that’ll happen *poke*). The Phasmatis Imperium series of threads is one of them. The last one started involved getting the Inquisitoriate a shipyard to build a fleet (Maw Installation). It centered around the Purifier, the INQs new flagship.

So I got to thinking. The Purifier is a largely alien ship found derelict in deep space and was given as a gift to the INQ by the Navy because they had no need for it. But a thread was never done about finding the ship.

I think we could turn this into a “thriller” type thread. (A la those corny sci-fi movies that we all love so much. *cough* Doom, Relic, Interceptor Force*cough*

We start out finding the vessel and start investigating it…”Woah this is cool, look at all the shiny strange things”. Lamar and Kraken could be leading a couple of squads of stormtroopers on the search while Valten is leading his own intel squad.

Time passes.

Weird unkown alien thingies start killing people, and cycle of terror and firefights ensues.

Like I set, pretty cookie cutter sci-fi scene, but it could be fun to do. But it gets the INQ their toy (also explains technology on the ship). Others involved get character building time and still get to kill things. Maybe Lamar can meet up with Valten and is caught using his force abilities, which leads to a whole new slew of threads.

As for the aliens, I was thinking Necron-esque beings for Warhammer 40k because, well, the Purifier is based on a Necron Tombship.

Here are reference threads (note this will not be a fleet engagement)

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40143
http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39300

Lamar Starworth
Jun 7th, 2006, 09:44:01 PM
Definately up for it. Would be very interesting, but who beside you, Kraken and I could be involved in the whole thread?

Or would that be enough?

Khendon Sevon
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:05:39 AM
I did create a highly advanced alien foe called the Frihtel back when The Federacy was around. Could be one of their warships. Of course, that'd be a very, very rough fight and they do look a lot like super scary monsters.

Lamar Starworth
Jun 8th, 2006, 08:22:21 PM
Oh, I was also wondering about the exact location of the thing. I know it'd probably be cleared up in the initial post, but it would be within the ship, right?

Park Kraken
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:57:15 PM
Sounds like a very good thread.

What is the Purifier based off of? Could we make it like an alien ship that would be alien to this timeline, but something we know about, like the Qella, Yuuzhan Vong, Vagaari, etc?

Karl Valten
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:22:29 PM
It's based off of a Necron Tombship. An extremely large ship, theoretically it'd be probably 30+ klicks long, but I changed it because there's no way a ship that size would be allowed to exist on these forums.

The Necrons, short for Necrotyr (sp?) that was supposedly extint 30 million years ago (in the Warhammer 40k timeline). The civilization was centered aroud the worship of the "star gods", actual living entities on a higher plane of existance or something. Long story short, the star gods offered the Necrotyr a sort of immortality as a plague swept the galaxy (either a disease or zerg-like alien race called the Tyranids). Their minds and souls were transplanted into bodies made of living metal. Over time their personalities faded, leaving the perfect slaves for the "star gods"

I.E. Their a race of super-advanced and extremely durabel living machines. Think combining Terminator with the Replicators (Stargate SG-1)

I don't what's comparable in the star wars universe, but we could pass them of as a kind of Uber-droid. I don't think it'll be too much trouble transfering them over, heck Khendon's stormguards are based of the Tau from 40K.

Ira Yahff
Jun 9th, 2006, 08:20:02 AM
It will be an interesting fight then. Well, as I said before...I'm ready when everyone else is to get this started.

-Lamar

Park Kraken
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:56:40 PM
Ok then. I am ready as well.

Karl Valten
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:57:10 PM
Ok, I'll try to get it started tommorrow. It'll be a toss up though. I have to take my ACT, attend my girlfriend's graduation party, and have a 8 hour shift at work.

Lamar Starworth
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:23:54 AM
Take your time. Just try your best on the ACT, probably will do great. It's a lot easier than the SAT I took.

And enjoy your girlfriends graduation. I definately will be enjoying my graduation when it comes around.

Karl Valten
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:38:11 PM
Well I need to leave for work in half an hour. But, yeah, the ACTs a pretty easy. I already took it once and scored a 31, but I didn't take the writing exam. I figured why not just take the whole thing again to see if i can do better.

I'm not sure this time around on the mathmatics section. My calculator crapped out after the third question, most of it I didn't need one, but the 10 or so questions that I did. Meh, trying to mentally figure out complex trigonometry and calculus is a pain in the neck.

Khendon Sevon
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:57:51 PM
Originally posted by Karl Valten
Meh, trying to mentally figure out complex trigonometry and calculus is a pain in the neck.

;) Wait 'till college. It's more of the same.

I thought I knew a lot of math before I started college. Now, three college math classes later (calc I, calc II, discrete math), I'm begining to realize there's always more...

Now I have to teach myself Linear Algebra for a class I'm taking next semester. Joy.

Lamar Starworth
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:12:07 PM
good thing my profession doesn't deal in indepth math, or I'd definately be at a lost. I really hate math, but bleh--gotta do it. It's the building blocks to the mastery of so many things.

But onward! I'll be here waiting for aliens to thrash me to death! :)

Karl Valten
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:21:32 AM
And it's away http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=760435#post760435

Necrontyr reference page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necron#The_Necrontyr

Lamar Starworth
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:48:01 PM
Well I threw in my touch. Studying those Necron. Never heard about them until now.

Park Kraken
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:17:18 AM
Threw in a quick preparation post as well.

Karl Valten
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:46:46 PM
Originally posted by Lamar Starworth
Well I threw in my touch. Studying those Necron. Never heard about them until now.

Necrons are a solid army to play, good attack strength and they can absorb a hideous amount of damage. A decent army for a begginer to 40k, easier on the wallet compared to most other armies because of their high point cost.

I don't play a Necron army, though, they don't have as much diversity as I'd like and can get predictable.

Park Kraken
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:45:14 PM
I play Rome Total War. I was playing the campaign mode as the Julii, and was conquering Gaul territory when I was suddenly ambushed in three directions by the Britannia, Germanians, and the Thrace. I recalled my armies from the frontlines and defeated the Germanians, I bribed the Britannia away from my territory, and I called up the Legionary Cohort Divisions from my capital and crushed the armies of Thrace. It's a really fun game.

Karl Valten
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:54:11 PM
I've only played the demo for RTW, decent game, but not my style. At the moment I keep swaping between Empire at War, Dawn of War, and Planetside.

Lamar Starworth
Jul 3rd, 2006, 03:35:13 PM
Seems like our thread died before it even started. :(

What happened to Kraken?

Karl Valten
Jul 5th, 2006, 05:33:58 AM
Don't know I sent a pm before my flight took off. If he doesn't post in another 48 hours we're moving ahead.