PDA

View Full Version : He's baaaaaack...("who?" you say...)

Sam
May 26th, 2006, 10:10:53 PM
Here's where I (Hunk, Ebon et. al) sheepishly sneak back in. Want to hear a story? If you want the short version, scroll down to the bottom.

I realize that it's been quite a while since I was here. Normally I would have posted a "I'm taking a break" post, but I never really intended to take a break. Last September my job search finally came to fruition as I was hired as a patent engineer/technical writer for one of the nation's top intellectual property lawfirms. Great news.

The bad news was I had moved back in with the parents the year before and the new job pretty far away: about 75 minutes in rush hour traffic. Unfortunately, since I had been unemployed for a while, my checking account was down to just about nothing. So I made the commute each day. 75 minutes there, 75 minute back, all in a car with practically no exhaust system and failing breaks (the rear calipers liked to lock up on occasion). Pretty soon I fell in a routine. I like routine; routine = comfort.

The casualty here was online rping. By the time I was home and dinner was in my stomach, I had about 3 hours before it was time for bed. Since I was at home, and confined to dial-up, it would be rather inconsiderate of me to have occupied the phone line all night. Besides, I sit in front of a computer and type all day. I didn't really feel like doing it when I was home too. Still, I was always thinking "I should catch up with my threads...nah, I'll do it tomorrow." So I'd log on for an hour or so, get distracted by other things and procrastinate for another day. Lather, rinse, repeat for 6 months.

December came and went without me finding an apartment. I probably could have, but living at home is comfortable. Home cooked-meals, no bills to pay (besides a token rent), etc. Besides, December has my birthday and Christmas. You obviously can't apartment hunt with those around, right? January came and went, I didn't find anything I liked, and mom's meatloaf continued to be delicious. Then January came and my car finally called it quits -- all the small problems finally came to a head and she was finally deemed not safe for the road by your's truly. It was a sad day when I realized she wouldn't see 200,000 miles, falling less than 11,000 short.

The apartment search was temporarily put on hold and replaced with an automobile search. I knew this day would come and I had been doing my research, having narrowed perspective models down to a handful. The stars alligned and I found a beautiful 2006 Mazda3 hatchback in winning blue. Plus it was used, knocking several thousands off the price. I'd like to thank the wife of the previous owner who had forced him to trade it in for a mini-van after only putting 2500 miles on it. I appreciate you absorbing that initial depreciation. I really do.

With a new car, the 75 minute commute seemed to fly by, stalling me from moving out for another two months. But then I finally found a nice, affordable apartment 15 minutes from work. In a strange coincidence, the landlord turned out to be my dad's friend from college, a friend of the family whom I've known since I was knee-high to a grashopper. Score.

To make an already long story...not quite as long, here I am in my new apartment, complete with broadband. Let's roll.

(also, anyone have a cute single friend? With my professional life finally in order, it's time to start working on the social side)

Lianna Mal Pannis
May 26th, 2006, 10:14:29 PM
Heh.... you and Fig should have a contest on that last part ;)

Adia Issoris
May 26th, 2006, 10:39:42 PM
Hahaha throw me into the mix. We're all hopeless, I think.

Also, good choice on the 3. They're excellent hatches, even if they drink a bit more fuel than a Honda or Toyota. I sometimes wonder how the hell I make time to do anything.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 28th, 2006, 10:44:31 PM
Woohoo! Great news! I hope Ian likes his new digs.