PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Rider

Dasquian Belargic
May 25th, 2006, 01:40:46 PM
Well, here it is. Nicholas Cage in the Marvel flick Ghost Rider...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGjsPYLb9xU&feature=Views&page=3&t=t&f=b

Mitch
May 25th, 2006, 02:03:55 PM
Well, it looks about as I had suspected.

I'll be seeing it, but only to see Nicholas Cage's skull wreathed in flames.

Tarsis
May 25th, 2006, 08:23:49 PM
I'm actually looking forward to seeing this movie. Ghost Rider was one of the first comics I ever read so it's kind of like a child hood dream to see it on the silver screen. And by the looks of it, I shant be let down XP

Droo
May 26th, 2006, 12:17:40 AM
I felt this showed far too much for a teaser trailer. The flaming skull, for example, looks like it is out of something like the original Mortal Kombat film. I will most definately see this, but wasn't remotely enticed by this so-called teaser.

JMK
May 26th, 2006, 06:37:12 AM
A 2 minute teaser trailer?

Droo
May 26th, 2006, 06:45:10 AM
It must be. It's not out until February 2007 so it's hardly going to be the theatrical trailer. There's two versions of it out: the domestic and international teaser trailers - according to SHH.

Jedieb
May 27th, 2006, 09:04:52 PM
I didn't collect Ghost Rider comics as a kid, but I LOVED reading an issue whenever I saw one. Visually, he was one of my favorite comic books characters. I liked the trailers, I think they've done a great job on everything from the bike to the flaming skull. Casting Sam Elliot as a mentor and possible older Ghost Rider is inspired. That shot of two Ghost Riders, one on horseback and the other on motorcycle looked awesome.

Darth McBain
May 27th, 2006, 10:31:32 PM
I was never all that much into comics, so I have never heard of Ghost Rider, but I saw the preview today before X3 and it looked pretty cool. This is one I may end up going to see, though I usually don't go much for Nicolas Cage movies...

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 28th, 2006, 06:03:44 AM
Originally, it was going to be released this summer but they bumped the release date so that the FX boys could play with it and make it look even better.

Sanis Prent
May 28th, 2006, 05:11:16 PM
I've always liked Ghost Rider so this should be right up my alley.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 28th, 2006, 10:34:58 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
Casting Sam Elliot as a mentor and possible older Ghost Rider is inspired. That shot of two Ghost Riders, one on horseback and the other on motorcycle looked awesome.

That is my favorite shot of the trailer. I need a wallpaper of it for my computer. :love

Jens Vec
Feb 18th, 2007, 03:47:29 PM
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I wanted to check for a topic that had been created before making a new one.

Anyway, I saw the movie on Friday. Nicholas Cage did a much, much better job as Ghost Rider than I had expected he would do. They got all his powers right for me, and their depictions of the villains weren't bad either. Some nitpicks though(spoiler tagged just in case):

Roxanne's character bothered me. Eva Mendes did a good job of acting, but I felt like Roxy was just there to edge along enough romance to kick the last fight scene off. Fights against the element demons were far too short (though scenes of rampant destruction in the motorcycle's wake were given plenty of attention), and I was hoping to see Mephistopheles and Blackheart in their demonic forms, rather than simply as humans.

But overall, a very good movie.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 18th, 2007, 05:44:10 PM
I enjoyed the movie overall it was a pretty good popcorn flick. I would say it is better than Daredevil if you compare Feburary comic book movies. Nicholas Cage was pretty good and I got a kick out of Peter Fonda as Mestipho.

Rev Solomon
Feb 18th, 2007, 05:55:00 PM
I wasn't planning on seeing it, but some of my friends were going and asked me to come along.

Have to say I'm glad I did. Speaking as someone with no prior exposure to Ghost Rider, I thought it was a good, fun romp. Nice, tight pacing, good script, and a number of imaginative visuals. There are a handful of intentionally campy moments, but I think it's healthy for a comic book movie not to take itself too seriously.

I was somewhat concerned that Johnny Blaze would be just another Xtreme-sports figurehead (like Torch from Fantastic 4). He turned out to be a very sympathetic character, quirks and vulnerabilities included. I loved the thing with the jelly beans. Was that from the comic?

I agree that the elemental demons went down a bit too easily... I was beginning to wonder why Blackheart even kept them around. I was disappointed at first by how completely submerged Cage was while in Rider mode, but I guess that was more to show that he couldn't control the curse. As he gained control later on, the transitions became more seamless.

I'd venture to say it's at least as good as Spider-Man in artistry and production value, but it's definitely a narrower appeal. The visuals make it worth a look on the big screen.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 18th, 2007, 07:58:30 PM
The jelly bean thing is not from the comics AFAIK - Nicholas Cage added that part himself to the character.

I haven't seen it yet but my hubby and brothers went on Friday night. They enjoyed it, though one brother said it wasn't a great movie. But it was a fun movie. I hope to see it soon. :)

Ryan Pode
Feb 24th, 2007, 12:08:09 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this film, even though I've never read the comics. One thing I need to comment on was Nicholas Cage's eight pack. Totally caught me off guard. So diesel.

Kaast Dulli
Feb 25th, 2007, 09:15:46 PM
this movie was awful. not even a funny awful. just awful.

Videl
Feb 26th, 2007, 02:40:46 AM
I liked it well enough but I found I was figuring out what was going to happen too quick and that just makes it boring when you're like "I know he's going to do ____ since he said ____ earlier!"

Rutabaga
Mar 7th, 2007, 08:22:15 PM
I went to see Ghost Rider yesterday with my sister, and while it was by no means a "good" movie, it was fun, dorky entertainment with some nifty special effects, plus Nicolas Cage seemed to be having a great time fulfilling a dream of playing a comic book character. It's worth a bargain matinee price and will keep you entertained while you eat your popcorn :).

Yog
Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:31:52 AM
I watched this the other day. I realise there are different standards for what is fun. But for me, this alternated between laughable bad and intolerable. Ok, so it had visual effects, burning bikes, skulls and horses, some nifty CGI effects, but uh.. that was about it? The acting was horrible, likewise the script, dialoguge and the whole concept. This is a good example of what should just stay comic, and not be made into a movie. Give me Sin City, Spiderman and 300 all day and multiple times over this.

Edit: As far as I can see, it was every bit deserving of it's 27% RT rating

Itala Marzullo
Jul 19th, 2007, 08:35:02 PM
Well, I missed it at the movies like an idiot, but I just bought the Extended Cut 2-Disc DVD and well, woo!

It's pretty formulaic for a superhero movie, even with the opening credits, but the action is decent, the effects cool...but..

Then came this scene...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z81/giuliano81/P1020587.jpg

Jesus H. Christ, that is easily the coolest crap I have ever watched, even after seeing Transformers. I could watch these two riders for a whole movie length, without even transforming back to human form, that's how awesome it was. Even the music playing! Glorious cowboy rock! How come they don't have a whole album of it?!

Seems like I'm exaggerating, but that scene alone bumps the movie from a 7/10 to a 9/10, my only complaint is that they didn't have any more of it.

Jedieb
Jul 20th, 2007, 09:26:41 AM
I never try to hold a comic book movie to the same standards as dramas or even comedies. Some, like Spiderman 1 & 2, Batman Begins, Superman, are so good that I can drag my wife with me to the theater and she'd still enjoy it. If I had taken my wife to see this Ghost Rider flick I would have been sentenced to a Julia Roberts & Sandra Bullock DVD marathon that would have drained the testosterone right out of my body and left me an empty sack of weeping jelly. I've always loved the look of Ghost Rider, but for the life of me I can't remember a single memorable story line the character had. I think that was part of the problem with the movie. It had it's moments, but for the most part it was just dull. Still, better this than a Superman movie starring Nicholas Cage. That I just couldn't see working.

Ezra Na'chtion
Jul 20th, 2007, 11:10:58 AM
For me it was just one huge fangasm after another. Yeah, the movie blew chunks in comparison to a lot of movies, but I loved every moment of it because I love all comic book movies. Well, that's not entirely true. I love all the Marvel comic book movies, but I dislike the DC comic book movies, with the exception of Batman Begins. Superman Returns and Catwoman can burn in hell.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 20th, 2007, 04:50:59 PM
The Catwoman movie wasn't related to the Catwoman of Batman fame, so I don't know if it was actually a DC Comics movie or not.

Ares Marzullo
Jul 20th, 2007, 06:39:20 PM
It was, but it was terrible in comic book form and movie likewise. Even an aged Michelle Pfeiffer would have been a better catwoman, I hope many were fired over that movie.

A movie can only be so bad when I dont even dare watch a bootleg of it.

And whatcha got against Superman? Sure, he wears read undies over his outfit, but he's an icon.

Batman will always be the best DC though.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 20th, 2007, 07:33:39 PM
Superman Returns was a great movie. :D

Ghost Rider was so-so.

Rutabaga
Jul 20th, 2007, 08:51:39 PM
I agree, Superman Returns was great, I loved it.

Ghost Rider was okay, nothing great, but personally I thought it was better than Spider-Man 3. And that's just sad. :x