PDA

View Full Version : Tea for two (Adraudia) [completed]

Razielle Alastor
May 20th, 2006, 12:24:22 PM
Palace life was settling into quite a normal rythym for Razielle. The servants asigned to attend her now knew exactly what time she awakened and what she preferred to eat for breakfast. That mornnig she awoke to the smell of fresh fruit being sliced open and the aroma of a severly strong brew wafting to her from a steaming mug. Smothering a unladylike yawn, she sat up and accepted the tray.

Perched upon the silver platter, alongside her breakfast was a note emblazoned with the initials AB intertwined in a delicate script. Smiling, Razielle cracked open the seal and read the missive from her Majesty. It seemed she was invited, later that morning, to sit with the Queen in the garden for a cup of tea and some much needed "girl time".

Dressing quickly in a simple white sundress and sandals, Razielle left her hair a messy tumble down her back. She gulped down the last of her coffee, knowing that tea, though a suitable beverage for a young lady, was never going to do the trick for relieving her morning grogginess. She had been staying up quite late recently. A devlish grin lit up her face as she left the room and headed for the gardens.

Adraudia Basillie
May 20th, 2006, 05:50:23 PM
The gardens of the Palace were a painstakingly beautiful masterpiece that the Basillie Royal line desired. They wanted a perfect blend of Onderon's own natural flora, carnivorous and not. Such a task was considered insane at first but after several mishaps with importing some of the more deadly plants, the King had to relent and compromise with some of smaller species that couldn't eat a person.

Dangerous flora was obviously marked so that anyone visiting would not be harm and special handlers were trained to maintain the upkeep of the gardens.

Under a wall of flower trees, the Queen sat patiently with her dutiful guards on either side of the patio table. On such a lovely day, Adraudia would have loved to worn something less confining but appearances must be kept up outside of her personal quarters. The pale blue dress was long and covering, so to speak. The royal sash her father held was nestled over her chest, pale yellow and adorned with the Basillie coat of arms as well as the symbol of Onderon. It was tradition to wear it all times.

The sun colored umbrella shaded the area from the morning sun as the Queen went over the place settings for her and the Princess. The tea set that she had commissioned had come out wonderfully and she hoped that Razielle would love the gift.

Razielle Alastor
May 21st, 2006, 06:50:21 AM
Belatedly her personal maid came running after her, waving a straw hat like a battle flag. "Princess Shadana, your bonnet! You must not let the sun damage your complexion!"

"Princess Razielle, please! I beg you, put your bonnet on. Your Papa will be so displeased if you tan that pretty skin! No! No don't run away!" The echoes of the past never quite left her. Even as a child she had been forced to do as others saw fit. Never mind that she wanted to feel the kiss of the warm sun on her cheeks. Heaven forbid that she might get a freckle. But in the end the result was always the same. To this day, her skin was as unblemished as a porcelain teapot..

She stopped in her tracks and allowed the maid to place the bonnet over her bouncing raven locks. It tied beneath her chin, choking her. She hated it and would loved to have slashed the thing to bits. "Thank you.." Dutiful as always, Razielle smiled and the very image of ladylike perfection, entered the garden.

She was announced and allowed to walk up to the elegant young Queen seated at the table. Razielle sunk into a picture perfect curtsey that would have done her old nurse proud. "Good morning, Majesty. I was delighted to recieve your invitation this morning. Thank you."

Adraudia Basillie
May 23rd, 2006, 03:40:41 PM
The Queen smiled warmly, genuinely happy that the Princess had arrived so promptly in the gardens. "You do me the honor of accepting. I must confess that I did have an ulterior motive with my invitation."

Adraudia stood up and moved out of the way from hiding the tea set. The white porcelain was perfectly smooth and the hand painted blue flowers and elegant designs were a flawless recreation of the set they had as children.

She went to Razielle's side and hoped for approval. "Do you like it?"

Razielle Alastor
May 24th, 2006, 09:14:21 AM
For a moment there, Razielle - diplomat extraordinaire, didn't know what to say. It was a rare thing, someone doing something genuninely kind. It was an exact replica of the set that they had shared some many tea parties, with stuffed animals and imaginary friends alike. It seemed a reminder of the best times of her life. One silvery tear ran down her cheek, quickly dashed away with a laugh.

"Oh, you have outdown yourself, Majesty!"

In a sudden movement, Razielle gently enfolded her old playfellow in a sisterly embrace, hugged her and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. "Thank you, so much. I didn't know how much I missed my childhood until this moment. No, that's not it either, maybe I just missed having someone who knew me. A sister."

Releasing the Queen, Razielle smiled and pulled out a chair for her friend. "After you, Majesty. After all, the brew might go cold, decorum must be observed at a grand event such as this, yes?"

Adraudia Basillie
May 24th, 2006, 04:14:15 PM
Adraudia's good intentions had done exactly what she wanted; showing the Princess that she was not merely some documented promise. The Queen wanted a friend, not a ward. Yet, the slight tinge of red in her cheeks showed she was rather surprised at how well received her gift was.

She smoothed the dress underneath her before taking the offered seat. Razielle was being too kind. "You are quite right. We have just received a fresh shipment of spiced tea from Tatooine and it tastes most unpleasant cold."

One of her attendants pulled out the chair for the Princess as the Queen poured them a cup each. "Tell me, you've been here for some time. I presume that things are settling in easier since you have first arrived?"

Razielle Alastor
May 24th, 2006, 09:12:40 PM
Graciously accepted her cup, she lowered her chin a notch in thanks. Razielle carefully measured a scandalous amount of sweetener into the brew. She would do without her coffee, but she had to have her eccentricities. Stiring it about, with the dainty spoon, it was executed with flawless etiquette.

"Of course, Majesty. Although I still feel the loss of my family, I am beginning to feel quite at home. I have even found some.. interesting ways to pass my time. "

She briefly wondered what the Queen would say to her running about the streets at night, drinking, fighting, killing beasts in the wild with her bare hands. It was a far cry from the picture perfect model of propriety that she had schooled herself to become in polite company.

Taking a small sip of the tea, Razielle set the cup down and folded her hands in her lap, pretty as a picture, with her bonnet ribbons gently blowing in the light breeze.

"I do think that I am slow to learn the names and positions of those who reside at the palace. Perhaps sometime in the future I could attend a state function and be presented, properly? If it pleases you, Your Majesty."

Adraudia Basillie
May 26th, 2006, 05:57:14 PM
The Queen finished swallowing a small sip of her tea and nodded in full agreement. "I could not agree with you more. It's an arduous task with all the comings and goings as you certainly know."

It was strange. Adraudia couldn't help but be inquisitive as to where the Princess' mind had trailed off. It was the way Shadana had spoken about her free time. She didn't feel threatened or alarmed by the vagueness, just a curiosity as to what hidden meaning was left out of that sentence.

She placed the cup back on its saucer; hold it at chest level with poise and grace. "As we discussed previously, we did not want to have a formal state affair so soon after your loss. But now that you seemed more at ease I was thinking of a state event. A ball in your honor. To be introduced appropriately as is your right in station."

Razielle Alastor
May 28th, 2006, 08:13:21 AM
Suddenly looking uncomfortable, Razielle glanced down into her tea, as if she could divine the right things to say from the brew. "I.. I would not wish to overstep myself, Majesty. Surely there is a more seemingly reason to celebrate than my arrival. Could it not be held for another purpose, your sucess with the Mandalorians, perhaps? Is there an ancient feast day soon? "

As if she she suddenly realized that she had run on a bit, Razielle brought her babble to an abrupt halt. Setting down her teacup, one hand flew up to rest on her lips, as if to cover up for a hideous sin. Talking over the Queen! "Apologies.. "

Adraudia looked not so much offended as amused. Drawing strength from the fact that she wouldn't lose her head for the slight, Razielle continued, more reasonably.

"I just would not want a fuss made over me. Couldn't we just announce my arrival at a function more..public?"

Adraudia Basillie
May 30th, 2006, 05:30:24 PM
The Queen closed her eyes momentarily and then smiled at the Princess' modesty. "You are now a member of the Basillie household, your Highness. And you shall be treated as such!

She set her cup onto the table, her eyes sparkling with fond memories of her childhood. "You surely remember the state function my father held when our two families joined together in peace? It was one of the most grandest of occasions! Every dignitary in the system was there to honor the Basillies and Shadanas. It was a time to celebrate friends and family with food, song and dance."

The innocence of other times faded from her voice. Now Adraudia stared ahead, her mind drifting to all of the lives lost because of the war. "My people need a reason to celebrate again. Yes, our victories are important but it's all Onderon knows now. We need to remember that there is more to life then just war and ritual."

Adraudia blinked, remembering she wasn't alone and smiled sadly. "You being here pleases me greatly. I wish to share that with Onderon and give them something to be joyous about too."

Razielle Alastor
Jun 1st, 2006, 06:31:01 AM
Even though the Queen was her oldest friend, even though it had been said lightly and without malice,, Razielle knew that tone. That was the tone that monarchy used when a dicussion was closed. She had used it herself on a number of occasions to put her foot down. Here, Adraudia's will was law. Smiling she knew that this time she had been bested.

"You are, as always, quite right, Majesty. The people will need a reminder of brighter times. That event you spoke of remained in the hearts of my people, and so must it be for the people of Onderon. A second event such as that one shall be just the thing!"

Relaxing a bit more in the company of her friend, Razielle peeked around enough to see that her maid wasn't in attendance and that they were more or less in a shady area. She let her straw bonnet fall backward down to her shoulders, so that it hung from around her neck by the ribbons. Grinning a bit at her small act of impropriety, Razielle tapped a finger on her lips, thoughtfully.

"Let's see. That was a most extravagent affair. A ball, the royal houses combined within the palace for dancing, games and other such frivolous ways to pass the time. Even the commoners had been invited to celebrate with us, although as I recall they had their own celebration in the courtyard, for safety's sake.." She trailed off as if lost in thought.

Adraudia Basillie
Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:01:53 PM
The Queen nodded, "That is correct. Though I do recall you running outside to play regardless."

She smiled, envious of Razielle's free natured spirit. Even as children, the Princess always had a way of skirting around the line that should not be crossed. They often got into mischief together as children but there were times that being a proper young lady stopped Adraudia from really committing to anything truly inappropriate.

"I believe that the General will try and convince me to not allow my people to attend. There have been too many threats against my life." Her thoughts trailed to Legion, the one person DeSang was truly afraid of. If only he realized that his precious Queen was far more capable at defending herself then the mundane guards he assigned her.

"I shall try and convince him otherwise. As I said, this is a chance for everyone to celebrate," she spoke firmly. "Since this is to be your special occasion, do you have any preferences? I can have the head of Household do anything to your specifications, or I could assign her to you yourself and can work together if you so desire."

Razielle Alastor
Jun 3rd, 2006, 07:32:10 AM
A plan was already hatching like an egg in her brain.

It began with the mention of how Razielle had escaped from the long ago ball and run straight outside to mingle with the other kids her own age. Later that night, as the event was ending she had caught up with Adraudia and told her where she had gone and about all the antics that she had become a part of. Her friend had laughed with her, truly scandalized, but underneath that, Razielle had picked up on a sense of isolation. She knew it well, her friend would be a ruler far sooner than she would. The strict guidelines Razielle was meant to adhere to were even more rigid for her friend. The poor girl had most likely been stuck sipping fruit punch all night and waltzing about with wealthy old geezers after her crown.

This time it would be different. Razielle with the help of the Basille household staff would put together an event to make all previous parties look like sewing circles.

"Yes! My Queen, inform the staff that I shall assist in the planning of this event and I promise you, a night you won't soon forget. It'll be just like old times." The Princess winked. That was always a sign that she was up to something naughty.

She eyeballed the polite distance that the remaining servants in the garden gave the Queen to talk with her friend. They were still too close. Rising, Razielle scooted her chair around the table and plopped down next to her friend. All formality in her posture was nearly gone now. She leaned over and whispered an idea to her friend.

"A Masquerade. We will have commisioned gowns, in the first stare of fashion, matching masks, fans the whole deal, but.. Leave this part to me. After introductions and a few dances, the Queen and her ward will briefly retire to sit it out for a while, claiming exhaustion."

Razielle looked about her making sure that no one was hearing this. No one was. "In truth, the masquerade will have just begun. I'll have another complete set of costumes ready for us. We'll switch out our gowns with our maids, promising them a healthy pension for their efforts. The masks will conceal their idenities, and everyone will assume we have returned. You and I will return via another corridor and we shall be the only ones who know of our deception."

She knew without meeting her eyes that the Queen was already rallying a protest of "Absolutely not!" Razielle had left her friend behind on enough adventures and her mind was set this time. The Queen was going.

"Beg pardon, my Queen, but when was the last time you had any real fun? If you allow the General and your crown to keep you in a cage you will forget what it means to be free. Your people love you for your spirit and compassion. I will not see it systematically driven out of you! One night of frivolity will not tarnish your crown and you might just learn some important things mingling with the common folk. Please, Majesty? Give the idea thought. I give you my word I will see to all the details."

She turned her beseeching gaze onher friend then, holding out her hand as if they were business men, closing a deal.

Adraudia Basillie
Jun 3rd, 2006, 02:14:50 PM
The Princess had that look in her eye again. Adraudia knew it all too well for her to forget such a sign of scheming. However, Razielle surprised her and thought up of a grand idea. A masquerade ball! How lovely! Recent memory couldn't recall anything of that sort happening on Onderon. Perhaps days long since gone, but certainly not under her father's rule or her grandfather's. Brilliance!

Her exuberance began to fade as the Princess scooted closer to her. Now the Queen knew trouble was brewing as hushed whispers of mischief enveloped her ear.

She had to quell this madness before Razielle got out of control. The Queen could not afford such frivolous behavior. Appearances and duty had to be maintained, but before she could get a word in, the Princess already began her counter argument.

When was the last time she had fun? It was a good question. Being a Monarch was not a job you could just stop being for several hours in the day. Always you were on notice if anything unforeseen happened in the kingdom. Then of course there was the complaints of the citizens she dealt with, mostly mundane issues she help to disperse monthly, entertaining dignitaries, plan a war and deal with countless bothers from the royal court that she needed to wed.

They Royal line needs to be maintain through an heir your Majesty ...

As with your father, respectively, you had to take up the crown so young. We do not wish it to happen again, but what if there is a vacancy?

Hrmp. The pressure wasn't spoken continuously but it was always there.

Then of course her nights were filled with training. With Callidus, her Master.

Fun? She could barely squeeze an ounce of fun yearly.

A speck of a smile dared to break the Queen's rigidness. "I agree to this under one condition."

She faced the Princess and for the first time since they had known each other, saw a tinge of troublemaking. "I can end the charade at anytime. I hope you understand why."

Razielle Alastor
Jun 3rd, 2006, 02:22:03 PM
"Agreed!"

Not even trying to coverup her spritely grin, Razielle scooted back over to her former spot. At length she made herself more presentable, pulling her bonnet back up, resuming her rigid posture and even pouring another libation of tea! It would seem that as a boon for the Queen letting her have her way, Razielle was going to be a picture perfect ward.

She'd wait until the next tea date before convincing Adraudia that walking barefoot in the fountain sounded like a lovely way to spend the time.

"More tea, Majesty..?"

Adraudia Basillie
Jun 3rd, 2006, 02:52:33 PM
Razielle acting too innocent might give pause and make some wonder while others, like her maid, would be pleased that the Princess was acting appropriately for a change. And the Queen had a hunch that she would continue to do so up until the day of the ball.

"Yes, please your Highness." Adraudia felt flustered inside, agreeing to Razielle's scheme. Her stomach was doing somersaults at the thought of playing 'hooky' during such an important state affair. But all together the same, her heart was pounding in anticipation. Oh how she would love to see the General's face at what she was planning!

In two weeks time, Adraudia would find out if she truly had the nerve to go along with this mischievous plan. Until then, the two friends kept up appearances and enjoyed the rest of the morning together in quiet small talk to catch up on old times.