PDA

View Full Version : I am doing it, goodbye snappers hello amrays

sirdizzy
May 10th, 2006, 06:47:17 PM
I am doing it, goodbye snappers hello amrays

Ok for the longest time I have hated and despised snapper cases and wanted to figure out someway to switch them into amrays. Up until now I have been unsuccesful.

For those of you like me who hate snappers the first problem is finding cover art that will fit into the amrays as the cover art for the snappers is too big. After one fatal trial an error period with an Austin Powers movie I had given up on the idea of possibly trimming them to fit because they looked horrible like that.

Then I discovered this website

http://www.cdcovers.cc

this site has like every dvd cover ever in really good high quality scans but I thought the site wasn't that great because of a bad printing I had for a movie my boss burned me a copy of but then again my printer at home isn't that great.

But I have been ordering Paul Champagnes DVD cases (awesome awesome accessory for any dvd collection even if they are very pricey http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/ ) and forgot to specify on my Superman case that I wanted it to fit snappers and not amrays. So i was forced to transfer my superman dvds to amrays to make it fit. Now wanting a great print copy of the cover art because I have no fall back plan, I took the covers I downloaded to Steamroller Copies (not sure if this a nationwide copier but kinkos should work too) and had it printed there and the cover art looks as good or better than the snapper cover art since I payed a little extra to have it done on cardstock. Each copy was $.79 and looks great.

Problem is I have 61 movies in snapper cases and only 67 amrays and my endless supply of amrays is gone because of Blockbuster going under. So this would be a full commitment since it would use up my entire supply of amrays.

I think this would be a great idea for anyone interested in getting rid of their snapper cases and thought I'd share it with you.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 12th, 2006, 09:03:22 AM
What is the difference between and snapper and an amray? I didn't know there were names for the different types of DVD cases.

Shawn
May 12th, 2006, 10:42:18 AM
Snappers are those cardboard cases with a black lip that snaps closed. Amarys are the types of cases most DVDs come in these days, where the art slides into a clear sleeve.

When DVDs first came out, tons of releases were in snapper cases, which can show signs of wear pretty quickly. Also, they're tacky.

Also: Piracy is bad, mmkay?

sirdizzy
May 12th, 2006, 06:15:32 PM
piracy is what you say, you are talking to someone who owns over 750+ official dvd releases my boss had just got a new dvd burner and wanted to test it out so he burned me a copy of a movie and if the studios think this is bad they can kiss my butt its as simple as that

Shawn got it right, snappers were a cheap crappy way for studios to keep profits up and screw their customers because they were aware that their customers despised and hated them (I saw proff of this in an interview with a WB exexcutive who was surprised nobody had complained about snappers the first 30 minutes of the interview making it clear they were well aware their customers hated them) yet continued to make them