PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Season 2006

Park Kraken
May 6th, 2006, 12:09:41 AM
So, for those of us who are in the line of fire, what are you doing to prepare for this year's hurricane season, and where do you think the big one, if there is one, will hit this year? Me, being a big meterologist freak and all that, I have a gut feeling that NYC will get it big this year like they did in '38.

We still haven't repaired all of the damage to our house from two years ago, we still need a new roof in the garage.

Well, nothing we can do except wait and see.

Morgan Evanar
May 6th, 2006, 01:37:09 AM
I'm as ready as ever. My folks are likely investing in a propane/natural gas generator so we can take advantage of that. We've got panel shutters, impact glass, a flat tile roof and extra hurricane ties. Oh yeah, all the structural walls are made of concrete block.

We should be ok but the days that the port closes make my parent's jobs awful.

Byl Laprovik
May 6th, 2006, 01:49:59 PM
I'm three hours inland so there's really not a whole lot of prep to do, save for moving the gas grill and lawn furniture from the 2nd story deck down to the 1st story patio. Our home is half sunk into the side of a hill, so its got ideal defense against high winds and flooding. The worst we've goten was Ivan back in '04, and that destroyed a good bit of homes and turned portions of the valley into a soup bowl.

I fully expect at least one gulf hurricane will come up our belly again this year so I'll probably have a day of battoning down the hatches, and then it'll be ok.

Tornadoes are generally more of a concern for us anyway.

Park Kraken
May 6th, 2006, 08:54:33 PM
Besides my feeling of NYC getting hit, I've also got a feeling that Florida will get another one. I kind of had a dream where a powerful one came ashore right at West Palm Beach and sliced up through the middile of Orlando and then back out to sea through Daytona Beach.

CMJ
May 9th, 2006, 12:12:13 PM
The NY/Tri state area is long overdue for a Category 3 storm. One of the worst spots meteoroligists always discuss. The others being New Orleans(duh, look how that turned out), the Florida Keys, Galveston/Houston, and Tampa Bay.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 9th, 2006, 01:38:41 PM
There had better not be a hurricane through Orlando until June.

We're going to Disneyworld in two weeks. ^_^;

Park Kraken
May 13th, 2006, 01:48:47 AM
Tampa Bay almost got it two years ago. Thankfully though Charley swerved to the right at the last moment. If it had stayed over water more and then hit Tampa, it would have been a Category 5.

And you think you could stop by my house while your down there LD?

Pierce Tondry
May 13th, 2006, 12:04:03 PM
Originally posted by Park Kraken
Tampa Bay almost got it two years ago. Thankfully though Charley swerved to the right at the last moment.

When I read this I think it is Sanis and not a hurricane named Charley. :)

Katarina Gordislava
May 13th, 2006, 01:37:39 PM
Originally posted by Park Kraken
And you think you could stop by my house while your down there LD?

No.