PDA

View Full Version : HP Laptops Were Made By Satan

Khendon Sevon
Apr 27th, 2006, 09:57:21 PM
Upon receiving my HP NW8240 I smiled. On paper, it’s a respectful little toy. We’re talking a Pentium M running at 2.13 ghz with 512mb of PC-3200 DDR2 at 533mhz. Mesh that with it’s fun ATI Mobility FireGL V5000 and it’s packing enough punch to play some decent looking games at alright settings.

My school supplied them. Every freshman gets one.

Very cool, right? Wrong.

Personally, I would never have chosen HP. Why? Because HP is partnered or owns Compaq and that’s who makes their laptops. I had a Compaq. They’re relatively evil.

A few weeks after the smiles came the frowns. These things have serious heating issues. In the middle of a video game or moderately intense sessions (running trillion, music, opening a browser, opening a setup file) craaaash. Try to start the laptop up again? Nope, it needs to cool off before it’ll even load up the bios.

Cooling pad, great solution! No. Doesn’t help.

The laptop idles at 800mhz at 64 degrees Celsius. That’s not bad. The step style technology is relatively fast and can rev up when needed.

To test how horrible the cooling system is I loaded up a copy of Sonar 5 Producer Edition. It’s a piece of music editing software that’s not known for being easy on computers. I opened up one of my projects and ran it.

Alright, full 2.13ghz running, nice, 86 C, not too bad. Uh oh, the temperature keeps climbing? No. No! NO! Nooooooooo!

Yeah, that’s right, about 20 seconds of play and the processor reached 100 C and started having major issues. No chugging along, more like crawling for its dear life.

If a laptop is advertised as having a 2.13ghz processor, it should be able to actually use that processor without it dying, shouldn’t it?

/End Rant.

Anyone have any fixes short of setting up an industrial fan next to it? ;) Evil laptops, cooling is for desktops!

(I could under clock it, but then I'd cry)

Ryan Pode
Apr 27th, 2006, 10:23:10 PM
Every freshman at your school gets a laptop? Where do you go?!

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 28th, 2006, 01:10:12 AM
They get laptops, but there are no women there.

Mitch
Apr 28th, 2006, 01:41:39 AM
Hmm, I shall call you Foldable Betty, my 2.3 gigahertz, dual-core processing darling...

Morgan Evanar
Apr 28th, 2006, 04:34:40 AM
That is running WAY WAY WAY too hot for a Centrino laptop. Way too hot. It should idle 10c over room temperature.

Khendon Sevon
Apr 28th, 2006, 07:34:16 AM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
That is running WAY WAY WAY too hot for a Centrino laptop. Way too hot. It should idle 10c over room temperature.

lol, yeah, and when it reaches 2.13 and 100 C it's running WAAAAAAAY! too hot for a Centrino.

You'd think HP would test it?

Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
They get laptops, but there are no women there.

*Goes and cries a little* It's so true. It's Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, NJ. Right across the Hudson from NYC. We have a 7:1 guy to girl ratio, $41,000/year cost of attending, and a huge geek percentage.

Imagine if the top 5 geekiest kids you know went to a school comprised entirely of the same exact people. That's probably 80% of the school ;)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 28th, 2006, 07:38:24 AM
Logical thinking is a fickle bitch, my son :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 28th, 2006, 08:45:49 AM
I had an HP laptop. It was an Omnibook. Actually I still have it somewhere I think. It's like three inches thick and weighs more than my grandma.