PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Cup Playoffs

CMJ
Apr 19th, 2006, 09:15:56 PM
The Quest starts Friday. So, who ya got?

;)

JMK
Apr 20th, 2006, 07:48:32 AM
Western Conference

(1) Detroit vs. (8) Edmonton
Series begins Friday - I like the Oilers, but this one will be Detroit in 5. Stevie Y, my favorite all-time player gets another shot at the cup before he calls it quits.

(2) Dallas vs. (7) Colorado
Series begins Saturday - Theodore stinks. Turco does not. Dallas is such a well-balanced team, Colorado isn't what it used to be. Dallas in 5.

(3) Calgary vs. (6) Anaheim
Series begins Friday - Tough to call, Anaheim could pull off the upset and I won't be surprised if they do. But I'm taking Calgary in 6. They're the hardest-working team in the league and will make opponets skate harder than they've ever skated in their lives. Kiprusoff has to be great, but he usually is.

(4) Nashville vs. (5) San Jose
Series begins Friday - No Vokoun spells trouble for the Preds. Thornton should be ready to prove he's a playoff performer. Sharks in 6.

Eastern Conference

(1) Ottawa vs. (8) Tampa Bay
Series begins Friday - Tampa exhibits HORRENDOUS goaltending. Ottawa is in unproven hands with Ray Emery as well, but he's still better than whoever the Lightning can put between the pipes. I don't care if they're the defending champs. Ottawa has too much skill and is too deep on defense. Ottawa in 5.

(2) Carolina vs. (7) Montreal
Series begins Saturday - Time to put on the rose colored glasses. Montreal's record is better than Carolina's post-Olympics. With Canadiens killer Eric Cole out of the lineup, and the Canadiens penchant for being a giant killer, I'm taking my boys in 7. Plus, Alex Kovalev has never been on a team that lost in the first round.

(3) New Jersey vs. (6) NY Rangers
Series begins Saturday - Devils are on a roll. Rangers, despite being #1 in the Atlantic for 90% of the year are on the way down. Martin Brodeur keeps the door closed. Devils in 6.

(4) Buffalo vs. (5) Philadelphia
Series begins Saturday - Buffalo may be the most well rounded team to fly under the radar. Well disciplined, great special teams, fast...all things the Flyers are not. Esche is a leaky sieve. Buffalo in 6. Maybe 5.

The best thing about this year's playoffs? NO MAPLE LEAFS!
:crack

Darth McBain
Apr 20th, 2006, 08:37:36 AM
Western Conference

I think this will be a close series, but I got my money on Detroit

Another close series - I'm gonna go with Colorado, even though I think Dallas is gonna be tough to beat here.

Calgary

San Jose

Eastern Conference

Ottawa

I think this will be a close one, I'm going with Carolina

I agree with you JMK, Rangers haven't quite been themselves lately - gotta go with NJ.

Buffalo

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 20th, 2006, 08:58:47 AM
Western Conference

Detroit

COLORADO [ha ha Canucks aren't even in the playoffs]

Calgary

San Jose

Eastern Conference

Ottawa

er.. Carolina. Sorry JMK, you're going down. ;)

Devils. :)

Philly with the upset!

JMK
Apr 20th, 2006, 09:38:50 AM
Yeah, the Canadiens probably will lose. But I promise you the Avalanche WILL lose. "Opendoor" Theodore will show you exactly why we booted him out of town.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 20th, 2006, 09:45:22 AM
Psh. Whatever.

:uhoh

Darth McBain
Apr 20th, 2006, 11:21:07 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Psh. Whatever.

I'm with you Lili - go Avs!!!

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 20th, 2006, 11:30:48 AM
I just can't wait until the Avs call up Dan Da Silva (a forward they STOLE from the Winterhawks this year by signing him) from the AHL so I can go to Colorado to get my game worn jersey signed. ^_^;

CMJ
Apr 20th, 2006, 11:46:38 AM
The Sabres have really shocked me. As JMK can attest I was very down my teams chances before the season started.

I think Buffalo is too fast for Philly and will win in about 6. I hope their's an upset in on of the other series, so we can avoid Ottawa until the Eastern finals.

I do NOT like the way we match vs the Senators(but we'd beat Carolina).

JMK
Apr 20th, 2006, 12:22:44 PM
I think if Emery is the Sens goalie, anyone can beat them, so long as they have equal goaltending. The tandem of Miller / Biron is better than Emery / Morrison. If Hasek comes back to face his former team, all bets are off. But the Sabres are really fast and should decimate the big, lumbering defense of the Flyers.

Buffalo vs Ottawa or Carolina would be a great series. Too bad the interest would be local only, with only sparse interest from the rest of the U.S.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:51:08 PM
Originally posted by JMK
But I promise you the Avalanche WILL lose.

If Game 1 is any indication...

...you're absolutely wrong. ;)

Jedieb
Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:58:23 PM
The defending champs sneak into the playoffs! Yes, we'll probably get toasted, but at least we're back to defend. Go Lightning!

CMJ
Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:01:53 PM
Briere!!!!!

Wow, what a game. Esche was KILLING me.

JMK
Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:41:56 PM
If Game 1 is any indication...

...you're absolutely wrong. ;)

The Stars were surprised and will get better. Theodore still let in 2 goals on the first 10 shots. If he doesn't improve by game 2 things will change greatly before your eyes.

But it's all irrelevant because my boys hammered the 'Canes tonight 6-1. :crack

JMK
Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:42:35 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Briere!!!!!

Wow, what a game. Esche was KILLING me.

Don't you worry. Esche sucks. He simply had the best game of his life. It won't happen again.

CMJ
Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:57:03 PM
The dude was a brick wall. I was yelling at my TV nearly the whole game. Buffalo dominated that game, if we had lost I woulda been royally ticked off. >D

JMK
Apr 23rd, 2006, 08:03:45 AM
'Canes fans must have been frustrated as well. All the analysts going in said that even though both Huet and Gerber had little to no playoff experience, that Huet would be the one to fold and let in all kinds of bad goals. Oops. Got that one wrong!

Jedieb
Apr 23rd, 2006, 07:59:09 PM
Lightning even the series and grab home ice advantage (not that it means much in the NHL playoffs). Haven't seen a single playoff game yet, but I'm going to make a point of seeing the first game in Tampa.

JMK
Apr 23rd, 2006, 09:11:48 PM
I watched 4 games friday, 2 yesterday and am currently in my 4th game today. I LOVE the Stanley Cup playoffs. :)

CMJ
Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:50:16 PM
Every single road team won today.

JMK
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:02:46 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
The dude was a brick wall. I was yelling at my TV nearly the whole game. Buffalo dominated that game, if we had lost I woulda been royally ticked off. >D

Told you Esche wouldn't have another good game. Did he see his stats from tonight's game? ;)

CMJ
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:31:50 PM
Man, Buffalo destroyed Philly!! :cool

Jedieb
Apr 24th, 2006, 08:33:45 PM
Honestly, does any team have a more over the top, hysterical, homer commentator than the Lightning's Dave Mishkin? I could listen to the guy all day.:lol

JMK
Apr 25th, 2006, 06:58:22 AM
That guy is one of the biggest homers in any sport. He's just off his rocker.

I'll never forget one of his calls on a Tampa goal in the '04 playoff:
"....takes a shot SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How does that feel Kiprusoff???" :lol

Habs go up 2-0 in their series vs the favored 'Canes. I came way too close to cardiac arrest last night watching the game. What a back and forth battle.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 25th, 2006, 08:45:33 AM
The Stars came back from being down 3-0 yesterday, but ultimately gave up the second game of the series to Colorado. >D

:D 2-0 Avalanche!

TheHolo.Net
Apr 25th, 2006, 08:47:47 AM
The Stars came back from being down 3-0 yesterday, but ultimately gave up the second game of the series to Colorado. >D

:D 2-0 Avalanche! Being in Colorado, I loved seeing that win! :D Go home Team!!!

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 25th, 2006, 08:53:41 AM
I know, two wins in a row, on the road, against Dallas. Hope they can hold up their end at home now. ^_^;

JMK
Apr 25th, 2006, 09:58:12 AM
Looks like Turco and Theodore are trying to see who can be the worse goalie.

Theodore, despite being 2-0 is ranked 15th out of 19 goalies who have seen playoff action so far - he's got a dismal, and I mean DISMAL .860 save percentage. The only reason they're up 2-0 is because Turco has been even worse 17th out of 19 with an abyssmal .815 save %.

Gerber has been by far the worst though. 9 goals on 36 shots for a save percentage that reminds of more like an empty net than anything of .735.

Horrendous.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 25th, 2006, 11:24:25 AM
A lot of the Stars goals yesterday were just bad bounces. The puck that flipped up in the air and then fell back to the ground behind Theodore and hit him in the back - there isn't much you can do about it once you lose sight of it.

Granted, maybe he should have been looking up for the puck. ;)

JMK
Apr 25th, 2006, 02:20:42 PM
Maybe he should try getting off of his knees as soon as a player thinks about shooting. He's too small to play that way. They cut the size of the goalie equipment, he's got to make himself as big as possible and going down right away doesn't help.

JMK
Apr 26th, 2006, 07:31:26 AM
Even though the Sharks are up, Thornton continues his annual disappearing act. 1 assist in 3 games vs Nashville.

Oilers are on to something big here...they're skaking hard and the older Red Wings are in a lot of trouble. Game 4 is a must win for Detroit, or they may as well pack it in.

The Senators finally flexed their muscles and taught the Lightning a lesson they shouldn't forget. 8 goals against. How's that working for you Tortorella?

And finally Calgary manages to score more than a couple goals. They'll have to come up with more performances like that if they want to go deep again. You can only win so much when you don't score goals and rely only on your goalie.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 27th, 2006, 09:07:15 AM
btw the administration of this board has decided to declare the Colorado Avalanche the official SWF Hockey Team.

;) Just kidding.

But hey - back to back wins in overtime! Go Avs!

JMK
Apr 27th, 2006, 10:25:39 AM
I can't believe the tank job the Dallas Stars are pulling. But it literally is a suckfest between Theodore and Turco. Neither have a save percentage fitting of an AHL goalie, never mind an NHL playoff goalie.

Meanwhile my Habs got royally screwed last night. Koivu got his eye gouged out with a high stick, the refs were looking right at it,,,Koivu's eye was bleeding all over the place...no call. Then our guy high sticks a guy, he gets a teeny tiny cut somewhere...we never saw the blood, but he gets 4 minutes at the end of the 3rd. And we get a BS call on us in overtime. Thanks refs.

The Rangers are done. The Devils have won 14 in a row now, they are playing unbelievable hockey and are my pick to win the East. They look unbeatable right now.

CMJ
Apr 28th, 2006, 07:58:47 PM
The home teams rule in my series. I just hope that trend continues for Game 5, because I'm quite concerned now.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 28th, 2006, 09:03:57 PM
We're pulling for Buffalo over here, mainly because an ex-Winterhawk plays for them - Paul Gaustad.

Actually, an ex-Hawk plays for nearly every team in the playoffs. *is proud*

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 30th, 2006, 05:00:58 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Yeah, the Canadiens probably will lose. But I promise you the Avalanche WILL lose. "Opendoor" Theodore will show you exactly why we booted him out of town.

Eat your words!!!!

CMJ
Apr 30th, 2006, 05:36:12 PM
Buffalo holds serve once again. :D

JMK
Apr 30th, 2006, 07:45:13 PM
Eat your words!!!!

Pfft. Whatever! I wasn't expecting Theo to be outstanked by Turdo. That was was horrific, and Theo had a good game in #5. It won't last once they start facing a goalie with a real save percentage. :p

CMJ
May 1st, 2006, 09:00:01 PM
Well, with the Oilers winning, the West is WIDE open.

JMK
May 2nd, 2006, 06:58:48 AM
Wide open is right.

Check this out: In the West, the #1, 2 and 4 seeds are OUT. The #3 seed is going to game 7.
In the East, the 5 seed is in game 7, 6 is out, 7 could be out tonight, and 8 is already out. That would be unprecedented.

CMJ
May 2nd, 2006, 06:21:50 PM
We are annhilating the Flyers in Game Six. Bring on the Senators baby!! :cool

JMK
May 2nd, 2006, 07:17:57 PM
I told you Esche would fold. 5 goals in 17 shots. He's just as bad as the Tampa bums. Clarke has refused to get a playoff proven goalie for YEARS. Not 2 or 3 years, but for an entire decade +. He should be fired tomorrow.

BTW - congrats on your team going to round 2. Mine is desperately trying to prolong its season. What a classic goaltending duel this is. The stress! :x

CMJ
May 2nd, 2006, 07:31:30 PM
Esche wasn't really to blame. Our guys were just too fast and shredded their D. He was defending odd man rushes on about 3 of the ones he gave up. He actually stopped a few of them(rushes). The more they pressed the more open ice we had. And if there's one thing we can do, it's fly.

I think they expended too much winning Games 3 and 4. We were really the better team throughout the series...even in the Games we lost. I tip my hat to Philly because I truly think we could've swept them.

JMK
May 2nd, 2006, 07:56:40 PM
Dude, a .705 save percentage. That's not acceptable no matter the circumstances. I know Buffalo is quick, but damn, he's got to make a save or 2.

Meanwhile, Huet was awesome, then gets beat by a 60-footer.
:cry

CMJ
May 2nd, 2006, 08:00:15 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Dude, a .705 save percentage. That's not acceptable no matter the circumstances. I know Buffalo is quick, but damn, he's got to make a save or 2.

His defense wasn't doing him any favors.

I'm sorry about the Habs. I never woulda thought they'd lose the series after going up 2-0 IN Carolina.

Of course I was pulling for the Canes just because I do not under any circumstances want to play Jersey right now.

JMK
May 2nd, 2006, 08:39:25 PM
No, his defense is a bunch of slow footed tools. They sure didn't help, but everyone knew that Esche would not be good enough to win this series.

I knew the Canadiens would be prone to a collapse if they lost game 3, which of course they did. Losing Koivu absolutely killed this team. Threw the whole lineup out of sorts.

JMK
May 4th, 2006, 06:49:09 AM
The improbably has happened.

Seeds 1,2,3,4 advance in the East, while 5,6,7,8 advance in the West. How weird is that? All these Eastern teams must be licking their chops right now knowing they're going to face at BEST the number 5 seed in the West for the Cup. Of course that doesn't mean anything since those lower seeds knocked off the top Western teams, but there's no way Ottawa wouldn't rather face Colorado or Edmonton over Detroit or Dallas.

CMJ
May 5th, 2006, 08:08:40 PM
WHAT A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'm gonna have to take a valium now or something. Wow!

JMK
May 6th, 2006, 10:08:47 AM
That was absolutely crazy last night in Ottawa. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Awful, awful defense & goaltending from both teams but this is what the new NHL is all about...I guess.

In the West...once again if Colorado doesn't score a whole bunch of goals, they lose. Theodore won't win this series for them.

CMJ
May 8th, 2006, 07:53:03 PM
Do I dare to dream?? I don't wanna set myself up for a letdown! o_O

JMK
May 8th, 2006, 09:11:17 PM
Stay in your shoes bro, I experienced the exact same thing in the first series - winning 2 games in the other team's building - and look where it got me!

CMJ
May 8th, 2006, 09:37:09 PM
Yeah the first thing I thought about was how the Hurricanes came back. Speaking of, they're close to having New Jersey on the ropes. I didn't see that coming.

JMK
May 9th, 2006, 06:56:39 AM
I didn't see that coming either. But man, I have never seen a team get so many favorable bounces as the Hurricanes have this year. I still think New Jersey will take the series though, unless of course if Carolina wins the next one. ;)

How about Martin Brodeur in overtime of playoff games? 9-19 record. Uuuuuugly. By contrast, Patrick Roy was 42-19 in OT.

San Jose looks like they will take Edmonton in 5 at the most and Anaheim if they win tonight basically ruin the Avs' season.

CMJ
May 9th, 2006, 07:32:13 AM
It's astonishing for a goalie as great as Broduer to have such a lousy overtime record.

JMK
May 9th, 2006, 07:34:37 AM
No kidding. The guy just wilts in extra time. He's almost a lock to lose once regulation expires.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 9th, 2006, 08:50:58 AM
Let's hope home ice changes the momentum for the Avalanche, otherwise we're toast! The Ducks seem to be clicking along on all cyclinders.

Can't blame Game 2 on Theodore - the Avs offense is terrible and needs to get a lot quicker. The Ducks are making us look old.

JMK
May 9th, 2006, 09:50:41 AM
The Ducks right now look like the best team out there. They're very big, very physical and very fast. They're completely overwhelming the Avs right now.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 9th, 2006, 09:24:34 PM
The Avalanche are done. :mad Too many turnovers!!

CMJ
May 9th, 2006, 10:23:59 PM
None of the series are competitve games wise yet. We could have four sweeps! o_O

JMK
May 10th, 2006, 08:12:37 AM
Yeah, that would be hilarious! With the exception of the Ducks/Avs series, all of the other one *could* 2-0 for the other team, or at least tied. Edmonton played well enough in both of their games, New Jersey played well in game 2 for 59:40 and Ottawa dominated Buffalo in game 2 but Miller was unbelievable.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 10th, 2006, 08:58:49 AM
My hubby ended the evening last night after the frustrating Game 3 loss to Anaheim by furiously cleaning house.

So I guess I can't say it's a BAD thing.

:mischief

JMK
May 10th, 2006, 09:36:46 AM
I ended the evening the Canadiens were eliminated by destroying the couch. :x

JMK
May 10th, 2006, 07:45:43 PM
What a game between the Sens and Sabres! Overtime coming up! When the Canadiens aren't involved, I totally live for this. When they are involved, I'm on the verge of cardiac arrest and/or blind rage.

It was nearly lights out for the Sabres in this one as Alfredsson hit the post with less than 2 seconds left in the 3rd. I think the Sens hit the post at least 3 times in this game.

I'm calling Fisher to score for Ottawa, and Grier for Buffalo.

CMJ
May 10th, 2006, 08:04:46 PM
DUMONT!!!!!!!!!!!!

JMK
May 11th, 2006, 06:57:02 AM
You know, as great as Buffalo has been, I look at the Senators and they have been just terrible, even though the games have been pretty entertaining.

Alfredsson has been invisible throughout the playoffs. A complete bust. Heatley has been a non-factor in this series so far, and the Sens defense has been just putrid for a group that was called the best & deepest in the NHL regular season. Redden, Chara, Phillips, Volchenkov, Meszaros & Pothier have all been downright clueless, especially the big 3. They all look like rookies out there. But I'm not taking anything away from Buffalo, they've been up-tempo and relentless so far through 9 games.

Edmonton climbs back vs San Jose in triple OT (glad I decided to give up on that one after 2 periods) and shockingly the Devils are on the brink of being swept.

Of course, tonight the Ducks break out the brooms and send the Avs to the golf course.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 11th, 2006, 08:59:46 AM
:mad The Avs could still win tonight. Maybe.

i think I'm going to lock my husband in the tv room so he can't go on a rampage if/when they lose. >_<

CMJ
May 11th, 2006, 09:04:16 AM
I hate that people(not just you JMK) are saying the Senators are more to blame for Buffalo being up 3-0 than the fact that the Sabres are just kicking their tails!

JMK
May 11th, 2006, 10:15:24 AM
The Sabres are kicking their tails, they're skating circles around them. They're full value for their 3-0 lead. Even if the Sens were playing passably well they'd probably still be down in the series.

The bottom line is that the Sens' defense, widely regarded as the best in the league, has been awful. Just look at the giveaway for the OT goal in game one. Rookie mistake, fine. Then look at Phillips giveaway for the winner in game 2. Not acceptable. Yesterday they looked slow, stupid and uncoordinated. The knock on Alfredsson disappearing in the playoffs is nothing new. It's an annual event, but that doesn't make it right.

The Sabres were dominated in game 2 from beginning to end, but the Senators were not able to beat Miller more than the Sabres beat Emery.

Yesterday was a pretty evenly played game, Buffalo got the lucky bounces, Ottawa hit the post several times, including with 2 seconds left in the 3rd.

Game 1 was largely dominated by the Sabres and it was a case of basically last shot wins.

The Sabres deserve to be winning the series because they have been fast and agressive, but most of all, they have been opportunistic and have made the most of their chances.

CMJ
May 11th, 2006, 10:28:33 PM
Well, it's at least going 5....and the way the Senators played in the 3rd i wouldn't be surprised if they won another one. >_<

JMK
May 12th, 2006, 08:08:15 AM
The sweep was looking likely, but I would be in shock if a team that good was swept.

The Avs, on the other hand, I am NOT surprised they were swept. I am surprised that the Ducks are THAT good, but not surprised that Jose "Good for four" Theodore and Patrice Breeze-by were the culprits in the series for the Avs. Oh, and Hejduk and Tanguay were non-factors too.

I'm sorry your team's run is over LD (really, I am).

But....have fun with our sieve of a goalie and that turd of a defenseman we gave you!

CMJ
May 13th, 2006, 08:05:14 PM
Eastern Conference Finals baby!!! :cool

JMK
May 18th, 2006, 09:03:39 AM
What do these 4 teams have in common, except the fact they're in the conference finals: Anaheim, Edmonton, Carolina, Buffalo?

Answer? It's the first time in NHL history that the final 4 are all teams that did NOT even make the playoffs the previous season.

Welcome to the salary cap era.

CMJ
May 20th, 2006, 10:29:21 PM
Up 1-0. That was a tough win, but I'll take it. :)

CMJ
May 22nd, 2006, 09:17:02 PM
Carolina really outplayed us tonight. But we were still in it because of Miller.

Edmonton is shockingly up 2-0 in the West.

JMK
May 23rd, 2006, 06:54:30 AM
Yeah, Carolina really put the screws to Buffalo last night. It wasn't even close. If an average goalie was in nets it would have been a total debacle.

I think we have to start looking at Edmonton as a legitimate threat to win the cup. They handled the Red Wings in 6, but it could have been 5. They destroyed San Jose after falling behind 2-0, and are now cruising of Anaheim who just don't have any answers right now. The Ducks have not won a game in Edmonton since 1999 and the Oilers are 18-0 in series in which they take 2-0 leads. Looking pretty good for them right now.

CMJ
May 24th, 2006, 08:19:55 PM
I think I can breathe....

o_O

At least we won. :D

JMK
May 25th, 2006, 07:08:09 AM
Great game by the Sabres. Total turnaround from game 2. Still, Carolina was breathing down their necks big time. They'll need to make sure that once they get a big lead they don't let the 'Canes back like that. They had many chances to go up 5-1 and essentially put the nail in the coffin for game 3 but Gerber was great. Nice to see playoff hockey like this though. For the last decade if a team went up 2-0 it was game over.

JMK
May 26th, 2006, 06:57:45 AM
Ducks stave off elimation by totally dominating the Oilers. They outshot them 25-3 in the first and had a 3-0 lead. Thanks for coming. The Oilers have done nothing but surprise me this whole playoff run, and they're still only 1 game from the big dance. But I can't shake the feeling that heartbreak is right around the corner for this group. And with Anaheim winning game 4 in such convincing fashion, the feeling only intensifies. I know only 2 teams in the entire history of the game have come back from a 3-0 deficit, but I think Anaheim can do it.

The injuries keep mounting for the Sabres. This time Tallinder is out for the rest of the playoffs with a broken arm. Numminen is out. Tallinder is out. Kalinin is out. Connolly is hurt. Things are not looking good at this point, even with a 2-1 series lead. I know Numminen could be back, but he's not 100% and even if he was, he's not Henrik Tallinder. Afinogenov has been so dangerous but he's got to start putting the puck in the net if the Sabres are going to go any further.

CMJ
May 26th, 2006, 11:01:14 AM
I don't see Anaheim coming all the way back, but I can see them winning Game 5. All the Sabres injuries are beginning to worry me.

JMK
May 26th, 2006, 10:31:01 PM
Dude, it's time to hit the panic button.

CMJ
May 27th, 2006, 12:33:58 AM
Panic?? Hardly.

I'm more concerned with not being able to solve Gerber than our shortage of defensemen. He's shut us down totally.

We've played with various degrees of injuries all season. We'll manage thru that.

JMK
May 27th, 2006, 06:25:08 AM
I do admire your optimism! ;)

JMK
May 28th, 2006, 08:43:24 PM
Well the Sabres finally solved Gerber, but couldn't solve Ward when they needed to. They're not dead yet, but the Sabres are definetly on thin ice, so to speak. Asking guys like Campbell to play 30+ minutes in regulation alone and McKee to play virtually an entire shift on the PK is far too much for guys who are solid, but not more than that. I don't blame the D-men for this one, I look at guys like Afinogenov, Kotalik, Dumont...aside from a couple shifts from each, they were non-factors.

CMJ
May 28th, 2006, 11:13:35 PM
Blowing this game will cost us the series. Very painful.

JMK
May 29th, 2006, 06:48:31 AM
Yep, I think you're right. A 3-1 3rd period lead gone to waste...that's going to hurt big time. The injuries, the inconsistent play among the forwards will be the downfall of the Sabres this year. But give Laviolette credit. He's had his finger on the pulse of his goaltenders for the entire playoffs. If one shows weakness, he does not hesitate to yank him. That takes nerve at this time of year. And the guys who the 'Canes acquired like Weight, Recchi and Stillman are showing their worth.

CMJ
May 30th, 2006, 08:25:39 PM
Game 7 Baby!!!!!

JMK
May 31st, 2006, 07:19:42 AM
Dooood....game 7! I was on pins and needles last night. I didn't want to see Buffalo lose that one after dominating the first period the way they did. They took a 1-0 lead, briefly tried to stretch that lead, but then sat back and tried to defend it. Carolina quickly took over and dominated the last 30 minutes of the game and as I thought would happen...they eventually tied it.

Weight took a stupid, stupid, stupid penalty in overtime, let's face it - Carolina was absolutely jobbed in the seconds before the Briere winner. Williams was clearly hauled down and no call was made. They were very fortunate they scored almost immediately after because the next call was going against Buffalo for sure.

Bring on GAME 7!!!

CMJ
May 31st, 2006, 07:54:52 AM
History is on Carolina's side. And I think losing Game 5 the way we did is probably too much to overcome. But ya gotta believe, right? :)

JMK
May 31st, 2006, 09:29:31 AM
Game 7's for the home team in hockey are not the same guaranteed lock that game 7 is for an NBA home team. I think the Sabres could steal it. All they need is one more good game from Miller. He was good yesterday and has been good throughout, but he's got to steal one for his team. No weak goals, especially like last night's. Even though it was only 1 goal, that one goal tied the game and could have been the beginning of the end. And for once, Afinogenov has GOT TO score. He's got to do something other than be exciting. Briere & Dumont have to be consistent. Kotalik has to get on the board. As does Drury. But most importantly of all, is that the defense has to bend but not break for one more night. They're battered. They're being overused and they're playing well. Guys like Fitzpatrick and Jillson are marginal NHLers. They'll have to play like seasoned vets tomorrow.

CMJ
May 31st, 2006, 09:42:59 AM
Originally posted by JMK
And for once, Afinogenov has GOT TO score. He's got to do something other than be exciting.

Amen brother. The guy is so frustrating because he moves like Mogilny used to do for us eons ago. But he can't score to save his life.

Not that I don't agree with the rest of your analysis too, but Afinogenov has frustrated me the entire playoff run.

JMK
May 31st, 2006, 10:05:33 AM
In a way, Afinogenov pisses me off because the Sabres need him, but in the regular season vs Montreal I almost ignore him because he dances all over the place but never scores.

If he had any touch at all, his last name would be Bure or Ovechkin. He's got that much skill, but zero finish.

JMK
Jun 1st, 2006, 06:57:12 AM
You're kidding me right?

Sportsnet.ca -- The Buffalo Sabres are preparing for the possibility that veteran defenseman Jay McKee will not be available for tonight's Game Seven showdown with the Carolina Hurricanes for the Eastern Conference Championship.

McKee, arguably the Sabres steadiest defensive defenceman and the No.1 shotblocker at the position in the NHL during the regular season did not accompany the team to Carolina Wednesday.

Team spokesman Mike Gilbert said McKee was "sick" but that it was "possible" that he could catch a flight today and join the team in time for the game should he start to feel better.

The loss of McKee would leave the Sabres without four of their top six defenceman. Already lost to injury are Teppo Numminen (groin), Hendrik Tallinder (broken arm) and Dimitri Kalinin (broken foot).

CMJ
Jun 1st, 2006, 08:40:45 AM
Keep piling it on. Soon we'll only have Briere and Miller. :x

JMK
Jun 1st, 2006, 07:18:20 PM
Wow. What a change in this game. Buffalo has been thoroughly outplayed in this one but have a 2-1 lead going in to the 3rd. Even though they've been outplayed, it's not because of the lack of defensemen, the forwards haven't brought their A game yet. 2 bad, bad goals by Ward have Carolina reeling.

CMJ
Jun 1st, 2006, 07:23:59 PM
Miller kept us in it. Then Janik of all people and Hecht scored huge goals. Please Ryan boy, stand on your head for 20 miore minutes.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 1st, 2006, 07:24:45 PM
C'mon Buffalo!! :D

JMK
Jun 1st, 2006, 08:09:09 PM
Sorry dude...great run though.

Carolina just had too much for what was left of the Sabres.

Still, they're going to blame themselves. Twice in this series they blew a lead going in to the 3rd period and went on to lose the game. That's too much in a series where you only have to win 4 games.

CMJ
Jun 1st, 2006, 08:11:33 PM
It really hurts....

But Carolina deserved it.

Jedieb
Jun 1st, 2006, 08:18:10 PM
Sorry CMJ, so, who are you pulling for in the finals?

CMJ
Jun 1st, 2006, 08:30:04 PM
Probably Carolina. Having teams win and be contenders in non traditional hockey cities can only grow the sport. Of course one Cup victory won't do that, but if the Canes contend for a few years, I guarantee NC will become an area that embraces the sport.

It happened in Dallas.

Though, it would be nice for a Canadian team to win again.

JMK
Jun 1st, 2006, 08:34:28 PM
I'm pulling for Edmonton, not only because they're Canadian, but just because of the run they've gone on. They knocked off 3 teams that no one picked them to win. Also, I look at the moves that GM Kevin Lowe made in the off-season and at the deadline, and I just want things to work out for him.

Besides, I'm tired of the teams that beat my Canadiens winning the Cup...though it only happened once in recent memory.

CMJ
Jun 1st, 2006, 10:41:40 PM
I had a bad feeling about this game when I realized HURRICANE season officially started today in the Atlantic. Seemed like karma or something. o_O

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 1st, 2006, 11:34:50 PM
Tough game to lose. Buffalo gave everything they had. :(

CMJ
Jun 5th, 2006, 08:55:37 PM
WHAT.

A.

GAME.

JMK
Jun 5th, 2006, 09:12:08 PM
That was classic. Too bad Roloson left though. If he's really injured then this series could be over. It would be a real shame if that were the case because this has the potential to be a final that gets talked about for years to come.

CMJ
Jun 5th, 2006, 09:13:15 PM
Just hear he's suppossed to be out the remainder of the series.

JMK
Jun 6th, 2006, 07:53:09 AM
I think word came out really fast that he was actually done for the series. Don't you? I mean, unless his bone was sticking out of his skin...how much time was there to run some tests to determine the extent and nature of the injury?

I'd wager that he's actually out, but in this day of the NHL, when teams never disclose injuries right away, this seems out of place.

You know what the biggest shame of all will be? That if the Canes win the cup, which I'm pretty sure they will at this point - they will never be given full credit.

They were down 2-0 to Montreal when we lost Koivu, and promptly lost the next 4.

They got a New Jersey team that had 11 days rest and was clearly rusted beyond saving.

They played a Buffalo team that was so depleted, but still needed 7 games to beat them.

And now they're getting an Edmonton team minus their #1 goalie and Conn Smythe candidate.

I've always been a believer in that you can't luck or fluke your way to a Stanley Cup title, and that it is the hardest trophy to win in pro sports, but I really believe that the Hurricanes have been more lucky than good. I've seen nearly every one of their games and they have gotten SO MANY fortunate bounces it defies wisdom.

CMJ
Jun 7th, 2006, 08:45:03 PM
That was a woodshed beatdown.

JMK
Jun 7th, 2006, 09:48:24 PM
That was a team taking total advantage of a mentally shaken opponent. I don't care what the Oilers say, they have no confidence in either Markkanen or Conklin, and it showed in their play. I think you can pretty much call this series over.

What a shame, I'm so disheartened over this. This had the makings of being an absolute classic final. One for the ages, and it looks like it's all but finished.

CMJ
Jun 7th, 2006, 10:18:00 PM
I think the Oilers will win one of the next two and the canes will take it at home in Game 5.

JMK
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:50:39 AM
I think you're right. I think if this series is to have any meaning to it, the Oilers MUST win game 3. If they go down 3-0, they may as well roll over. If they can take game 3, then you're assured at least one great game in #4.

But I think the Canes have this pretty much locked up. The Oilers were poor sportsmen yesterday in the waning minutes of the game and they realized they had nothing. They resorted to old school tactics of bullying and cheap shotting opponents in an attempt to send a message of 'we're not going away'. It's crap and there's no longer room in hockey for that sort of play. Laraque should be suspended for his hit on Ladd.

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:38:14 AM
I was on a Hurricane messageboard last night and they were ready to burn Laraque at the stake. I'm sure the Oilers will be jacked up for Game 3. I expect a really tough game.

JMK
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:08:55 AM
Well after what happened to Eric Cole I don't blame Hurricane fans for being angry. It was pretty dirty if you ask me, but on the other hand, if you watch it in slo-mo, you see Ladd turn his back to Laraque before the hit comes. I'm not suggesting that guys try to get run head first in to the boards, but guys do turn often in to these hits in order to either protect the puck or draw some kind of penalty.

The Oilers will definetly come out flying in game 3. If they score the first goal, they're in business. If they give up the first goal, especially early, it will be very, very tough for them to make a game of it.

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:15:48 AM
Even if they go down early I think Edmonton will play really well. Didn't they go down early to San Jose in Game 3 of the Western Semi's? They have magic in that building, with some of the loudest fans in the sport.

Speaking of, it amazes me how loud the fans are in Raleigh. Must be the design of the building.

JMK
Jun 8th, 2006, 12:46:48 PM
What I hear about Raleigh is that it's totally nuts inside the arena, and at the tailgate parties out in the parking lot...but once you leave the arena grounds, you'd have no idea that the Cup finals are taking place.

Edmonton has been great at home, and they did go down 2-0 to San Jose, so another comeback is possible, but listen to this:
28 of 29 teams that have taken a 2-0 series lead in the finals have gone on to win the cup. It's going to be really tough for Edmonton to win this.

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2006, 01:10:48 PM
I'm not saying they'll win the series....

Just that they'll prolly win Game Three. ;)

CMJ
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:54:20 PM
Excellent game by both teams I thought. Edmonton was gritty throughout and Carolina almost stole it in the end(though they were outplayed).

JMK
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:47:44 PM
I had to miss the whole game (dammit!)

Did Edmonton play the 1-2-2 trap like most thought they would? It would seem so with a score like 2-1...

CMJ
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:09:42 PM
I forgot to post after the game last night. Carolina is just too strong for the Oilers it appears. Looks like the Canes will close it out tommorrow. Unfortunately I have somewhere to be tommorrow night, so I'll probably miss the 3rd period.

No trophy presentation for me. >_<

JMK
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:03:37 AM
Yep, the Oilers just seem to have run out of magic. There's not much left in their collective tank and the Canes have looked more like the team of destiny. I really think this is the night the Canes get to hoist the cup. It's too much to ask Edmonton to come back from a 3-1 series deficit at this point.

Conn Smythe Trophy to Rod Brind'Amour.

JMK
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:28:36 AM
Edmonton clings to life!

I thought for sure once the 'Canes got an overtime powerplay that Carolina would win it. And then the talk would begin - "it's terrible that a team won the Stanley Cup in overtime". I'm glad the Oilers were able to avoid that and score the FIRST EVER short handed goal in Stanley Cup Finals history.

CMJ
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:31:15 PM
Obviously Carolina is still in the drivers seat, but I'm just glad the Oilers are putting up a good fight.

JMK
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:55:00 PM
Yep, I would have been sorely disappointed if the Oilers went down in 5. And maybe the tables are turning now. Aaron Ward and Doug Weight both were injured in game 5. Weight is probably not coming back (his arm was in a sling after game 5) and Ward, though he did come back after being shook up wasn't the same. If Edmonton can take game 6....game 7 will be a total crapshoot.

JMK
Jun 17th, 2006, 09:01:06 PM
What a thorough beating by Edmonton tonight. I haven't seen a team dominate like that this entire playoff.

Game 7!!!!!!!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 17th, 2006, 09:16:20 PM
I am not a big hockey fan but have to sa Edmonton is pulling off one big comeback.

CMJ
Jun 17th, 2006, 10:02:05 PM
Originally posted by JMK
What a thorough beating by Edmonton tonight. I haven't seen a team dominate like that this entire playoff.

Game 7!!!!!!!!!

Short memory...I thought the Canes were just as dominant in Game 5.

Not to mention the most dominating game of the playoffs was Buffalo over Philly in Game 6...ON THE ROAD.

:smokin

JMK
Jun 18th, 2006, 08:19:39 AM
Yeah but the Flyers don't count. They're sissies. ;)

Edmonton may have been outplayed in game 5 but at least they scored 4 goals! The Canes didn't get their 4th shot of the game until there was less than 3 minutes left in the 2nd period!

CMJ
Jun 18th, 2006, 10:15:23 AM
Sorry bro, I mistyped. I meant Game 2 in this series...not Game 5. I think Edmonton did get more pucks on goal than 10 or whatever, but they were still outshot by about 15 shots.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 18th, 2006, 11:35:03 AM
Game 7 should be awesome.:D

CMJ
Jun 19th, 2006, 09:00:27 PM
Congratulations Hurricanes....

JMK
Jun 19th, 2006, 09:36:36 PM
Yep. They did what they had to do. A lot of guys on that roster were getting their last chance at the cup, it's nice to see them get it.

CMJ
Jun 21st, 2006, 11:26:48 AM
Beware of the Sabres.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13426956/

JMK
Jun 21st, 2006, 12:43:09 PM
I can see that happening for sure. The Sabres have a great nucleus of talent. The only wrinkle I see is their defense. McKee could very well leave, and Numminen is on borrowed time. You could also argue that these guys captured lightning in a bottle and played above their heads somewhat (I'm still talking about the defense). They would have to have a repeat of this season, except for 06-07, teams will be ready for the Sabres and will prepare accordingly. They were taken for granted all season long despite their 100pt+ season. Same with the Canes. But I won't tell a Sabres fan that they've got no shot at the cup next year. Hell, if they weren't missing 4 starters this season there would probably be a parade in Buffalo today.

In the West I think Anaheim is poised to make the jump. The Sharks will be good again, but both teams are going to gamble on goalies that made names for themselves in the playoffs only - Toskala and Bryzgalov had astounding playoff performances but that's not much to base a prediction for next year on. And as long as Thornton keeps choking in every important game he plays in, whether NHL or International, the Sharks won't win ANYTHING.

CMJ
Jun 21st, 2006, 12:59:51 PM
To be honest, as nice as it is to read that stuff - the last thing I want a day or two into the offseason is alot of hype for next year. We'll definitely not be sneaking up on anyone, that's for sure.

As far as the West goes, I really think Calgary is set to make a return trip to the Cup Finals. Their loss to Anaheim notwithstanding, I still like them alot. Plus they have arguably the best goalie in the league.

JMK
Jun 21st, 2006, 01:20:49 PM
Calgary has all the ingredients to be a GREAT team. As close to a dynastic team that you could possibly get in this new NHL...but they seemingly refuse to bring in additional offensive help to insulate Iginla. They tried Amonte and he was a bust. They got a cheap scorer like Huselius but he didn't bring the same bang for the buck as he had in Florida. They have to go out and find some bonafide offensive players or they won't go much further than they did this year. Kiprusoff and Iginla can't do it all on their own. And I can't wait to see Phaneuf turn in to a Norris trophy contender.