PDA

View Full Version : [WoD] Old Reality Meets New

Michele Hawkins
Apr 13th, 2006, 03:22:01 PM
My eyes peel back and I yawn. It's Monday morning and I have to get back into my normal routine. School isn't going to get put on hold now that I'm an Immortal. My studies are far too important for me to stop and I know Mrs. Ceffaclio would kill me if I abandoned music, followed by the school board for giving me the free ride scholarship.

I stretch and turn over in bed, peeking at the clock before I shut my eyes for a few more winks.

12:30pm.

Huh?

I bolt right up and rub the sleep away. It's 12:30pm?? Thiscan'tbehappening!!! I'mneverlateforclassorevenmisssedaclass!!!

I jump outta bed and start throwing something together to wear; I don't give a damn if it matches. I just need to catch the 12:50 and I might only miss one hour of Art History.

How the hell could I have missed hearing the alarm? My teachers are going to kill me!

Fiona Devlin
Apr 13th, 2006, 03:28:52 PM
:: Fiona was leaning in the doorway, amused by Michele's state of utter panic ::

Michele Hawkins
Apr 13th, 2006, 03:31:08 PM
I run my hands through my hair frantically and put on my tennis shoes. When I slung my backpack over my shoulder, I noticed Fiona looking amused.

"Why the hell didn't you wake me???"

Fiona Devlin
Apr 13th, 2006, 03:35:31 PM
"Because we have things to do." ;)

Michele Hawkins
Apr 13th, 2006, 03:39:12 PM
I roll my eyes, "Woman, I have to get to class. We can play later."

I slide past her in a hurry, trying to think of a good excuse to tell Mr. Santo. Ooo! Car accident. Of course! There we go. Still suffering from whiplash... or something. I can always have Fiona help me fabricate proof later.

Fiona Devlin
Apr 13th, 2006, 03:43:26 PM
:: Fiona blew the hair out of her eyes and followed Michele like a cat ::

"Missing a few classes, what is that going to matter in the grand scheme of things? Besides, I already took care of that."

Michele Hawkins
Apr 13th, 2006, 03:46:20 PM
"Because it matters to me, Fiona. The grand scheme of things can learn to fit my schedule."

But I stop when her last words register. I slowly spin around, confusion set on my face as my head leans closer to Fiona's direction as if I completely misheard what she had said. "Come again? You did what?"

Fiona Devlin
Apr 13th, 2006, 03:51:34 PM
"Mrs. Ceffaclio ... we had a little chat this morning."

:: she reached into the refridgerator and opened a beer ::

Michele Hawkins
Apr 13th, 2006, 03:53:47 PM
"Chat?" I threw my pack on the couch and walked back towards the kitchen. "Oh. The car accident?"

It would have made sense. Hell, was the same excuse I was gonna use.

Fiona Devlin
Apr 13th, 2006, 03:59:22 PM
:: Fiona nodded and offered a beer ::

Michele Hawkins
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:02:37 PM
I took it and cracked it open. Why not, it's afternoon anyway.

"So how long am I out for?" I took a quick sip and the foam tickled my nose. "When do I go back to school?"

Fiona Devlin
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:09:14 PM
"You have the week off, Michele Hawkins." :D

:: She sat on the leather couch and stretched her legs out on the ottoman ::

Michele Hawkins
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:11:35 PM
"Joy." I slump down into the matching leather chair and pouted into my beer bottle. "I'll have a lot of work to catch up on since I know you're going to be working me like a dog this week."

I grin, "Right?"

Fiona Devlin
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:15:02 PM
"Half right. We're going on a little trip."

Michele Hawkins
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:16:30 PM
"To get away from Balan?" I ask. Might be a good idea to disappear for awhile so me and Fiona can get things settled with my new purpose in life.

Fiona Devlin
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:22:01 PM
"Yes. I intend to deal with him on my terms."

:: there was a bit of a growl in her tone, but it shifted back quickly to a pleasant one ::

"It's time you saw something of the world."

:: She took a long sip of her beer ::

Michele Hawkins
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:25:41 PM
I had to smile and laugh at that last comment. "Yeah. Seeing Wisconsin isn't very 'worldly'."

I get up and slide against the couch, looking up at Fiona with big puppy dog eyes in excitement. "Where're we going?" I bet it was some place good and really far from here. She always wanted to do this with me but school got in the way. Even during the summer.

Fiona Devlin
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:29:12 PM
:: she chuckled, and her eyes were sparkling ::

"How does Vienna sound to you?"

Michele Hawkins
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:33:28 PM
I think we both heard my jaw drop.

"Vienna??" I climb onto the couch now and grab Fiona by the shoulders. "Are you serious???"

It was one of the cities I always wanted to go to because that city's composers saved my life. Without the classical music of Beethoven and Mozart, I know I wouldn't be here today (Well actually I would be under really different circumstances).

Plus, IT's IN EUROPE!!!

How can you top that?

Fiona Devlin
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:45:56 PM
:: Fiona laughed as she was shaken, and kissed Michele in self-defense ::

"Aye, we leave tonight."

Michele Hawkins
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:48:06 PM
"Oh my god!" I kiss her and jump up from the couch. "I need to pack!"

Fiona Devlin
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:51:25 PM
:: Fiona's face was a mix of mirth and astonishment. All she could do was laugh. Then she wandered into the kitchen ::

Michele Hawkins
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:59:47 PM
I was giddy as I fumbled through the closet and drawers, picking out several sets of clothing for possible weather changes. Shoes, jackets, socks, underwear, bras and socks all piled up after the attire choices. Bathroom essentials would be next but I wanted to pack all of this first. Problem was I had no idea where the hell the luggage was. I certainly don't have anything.

Shuffling my way back to the living room, I pouted in defeat, "All my work and no luggage."

Fiona Devlin
Apr 13th, 2006, 05:08:43 PM
"Don't worry about the luggage. Have some lunch first."

:: She pulled a tray of stomboli out of the oven ::

Michele Hawkins
Apr 13th, 2006, 05:12:47 PM
Couldn't resist an invitation like that. The food smelled delicious.

"Well since packing is on hold, maybe you can tell me what we're going to do and see in Vienna?" My eyes grow dreamy, "We have to go to the Opera House!"

Fiona Devlin
Apr 13th, 2006, 05:28:21 PM
"We have plenty of time to wander, and yes we're going to the Opera House."

:: she served Michele her plate and joined her at the table ::

Michele Hawkins
Apr 13th, 2006, 05:30:53 PM
I dig in and enjoy my meal. I'm not the ravenous beast of two days ago, thank god. "Are we going to meet some of your friends too?"

I smile, "I know you didn't just randomly pick Austria for us to hide in."

Fiona Devlin
Apr 13th, 2006, 05:44:09 PM
"No, it's just us." she replied between bites.

Michele Hawkins
Apr 13th, 2006, 05:46:12 PM
"But there's still work." I raise a brow and already know the answer. It's wishful thinking to ask. "Right?"

Fiona Devlin
Apr 17th, 2006, 07:54:44 AM
:: Fiona's smile grew wider as she shook her head ::

"It can wait til we get back."

Michele Hawkins
Apr 17th, 2006, 01:52:04 PM
"But ... you were adamant about it a couple of days ago." Considering how Fiona was so scared about my well being. I found this rather confusing. Not that I don't mind but it's odd she changed her mind.

Fiona Devlin
Apr 17th, 2006, 01:58:23 PM
:: Fiona nodded quickly. ::

"You do need one, that hasn't changed."

Michele Hawkins
Apr 17th, 2006, 02:02:16 PM
She meant a sword. Only way I could protect myself against another Immortal is with one. Otherwise, there goes my head and final death.

I sigh and stab at my food. "Are we getting it in Vienna?"

Fiona Devlin
Apr 17th, 2006, 02:04:56 PM
"I have a blade downstairs for you, if it's to your liking."

Michele Hawkins
Apr 17th, 2006, 02:11:13 PM
I frown and focus on my food, not really wanting to see the look on Fiona's face in regards to my current expression of disfavor.

"I don't have any knowledge on swords. How am I suppose to know if I like it or not?"

Now I'm being a brat, hoping to put off the inevitable.

Fiona Devlin
Apr 17th, 2006, 02:13:30 PM
:: Fiona smiled ::

"You'll just know." she laughed and rose from the table.

Michele Hawkins
Apr 17th, 2006, 02:19:11 PM
I grumble and toss down my fork, defeated, and stand up too. See? Inevitable. I just had to ask. Guess I should just get this over with. I'm just nervous. Holding that sword in my hand makes me accept who I am now and I'm still scared of finding out who that Michele is going to be.

Fiona Devlin
Apr 17th, 2006, 02:23:20 PM
:: They took the elevator down to the shop and Fiona led Michele to one of the many storage rooms. She took an elegant looking sword down from the wall and presented it to her ::

Michele Hawkins
Apr 17th, 2006, 02:34:32 PM
My arms are crossed and I scrunch my nose like the swords on the wall were diseased ridden. Fiona knew exactly which one to pull down and presented it to me.

It was then I scratched the side of my head since I was wrestling with myself. I hated the damn thing immediately because of what it stood for but ... It was also really beautiful. I've seen Fiona polish weapons with care before but she always paid special attention to this one. Guess I know why now, eh?

I can feel my hand retreating from the hilt. Didn't even realize I almost held it. But I forced it back and traced the hilt design curiously. It was simple but very elegant. A skilled craftsman did excellent work to carve the small patterns in the hilt.

I liked it.

Damnit. Guess Fiona was right. I would know right away.

Fiona Devlin
Apr 17th, 2006, 02:49:39 PM
"This sword was forged in Cordoba. I carried it myself, for a time."

:: She pointed to the inscription on the side of the blade, and read it aloud to Michele - YO SOY LA COLADA ECHA EN LA ERA DE MILLE QUARENTA (I am "La Colada" made in the year 1040) ::

Michele Hawkins
Apr 17th, 2006, 02:55:19 PM
I wasn't a Spanish whiz but I knew enough Italian to get the general jist of what Fiona said. The sword was forged in the year 1040.

Okay, say it again with me. 1040!!!

So, yeah. I stood there stunned. She was trusting me ... No. No she was giving me this sword.

"I can't take this." And pushed it away, looking up at the wall for something I could use.

Fiona Devlin
Apr 17th, 2006, 04:48:43 PM
:: Fiona gave her a dubious look ::

"Are you sure?"

Michele Hawkins
Apr 17th, 2006, 04:53:53 PM
I run a hand through my hair and spy the sword outta the corner of my eye. No, I'm not sure. Next to you, it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen and I can't believe you're entrusting me with it.

"Yeah, I don't wanna break it..."

And ergo my eloquant speech implodes inside my head and fails to reach my lips.

Fiona Devlin
Apr 17th, 2006, 05:07:10 PM
:: Fiona burst into loud laughter at the words ::

"I fought a devil named Kronos with that sword! You won't break it, I can assure you!"

Michele Hawkins
Apr 17th, 2006, 05:10:29 PM
She always has an answer for everything and I fumble over my next words. "But, but ... I mean ... It's too nice for me. I ... I don't deserve something like that."

Mentally, I just slapped myself. Hard.

Fiona Devlin
Apr 17th, 2006, 05:19:25 PM
:: Fiona held Michele's face gently in her hands ::

"Yes you do."

Michele Hawkins
Apr 17th, 2006, 05:24:11 PM
I know I'm blushing because my cheeks feel like they're on fire. I had to look away but the only way was down. Didn't even notice that Fiona put the sword in my hands. Sneaky woman.

"Thank you..." I spoke softly but my reverence could not be mistaken. Finally something came outta my mouth that made sense. Just wish I could have said more.

Fiona Devlin
Apr 17th, 2006, 05:30:24 PM
:: Fiona gave Michele a deep kiss, caressing the nape of her neck with her fingers ::

Michele Hawkins
Apr 17th, 2006, 05:45:53 PM
There are times when everything around you just stops. You know, kinda like hitting the pause button on life to reflect on where you are in your life and where it's gonna be taking you.

This was one of those moments and it wasn't just because Fiona's a helluva kisser.

No, it was because I think my mind was finally starting to accept my new reality. Life is about change. To deny my reality now means my death. A meaningless death except for what little power I have being passed to another Immortal. I'd be just a speck in the grand scheme of things.

Yet, I have this chance to see the world with Fiona. To spend my life with her for years, decades, hell centuries even if we're allowed. I'm still not too sure about all the rules but I don't see how's that too much to ask.

I pull away from Fiona and hold up the sword, the blade pointing skyward.

Maybe I just need to focus on the good that has come to my with this change. I've focused way too much on death and my uselessness. I can't be like the fighter Fiona is overnight. It will come to me ... in time.

My arm starts shaking and I have to lower the sword to the floor carefully. I laugh as I almost fall over from the force, "Wow. I'm so not in shape for this."

Fiona Devlin
Apr 17th, 2006, 05:52:47 PM
"We'll remedy that soon. For now, we should get packing." ;)

Michele Hawkins
Apr 17th, 2006, 05:54:07 PM
"Oh now we need to pack." Sarcasm oozes as I roll my eyes and hand over the sword. "Um, you put that away."

Fiona Devlin
Apr 17th, 2006, 06:02:51 PM
:: Fiona raises her hands ::

"You keep that, love."

:: She gave Michele a peck on the cheek and led the way back upstairs without another word on it ::