PDA

View Full Version : Just a few character-related questions.

Peter McCoy
Apr 11th, 2006, 08:39:49 AM
First of all, a very quick 'hello' to those who remember me - its been quite a while since I've been here. I was thrilled when Dru told me about the new WoD roleplaying section and just had t get involved.

Now as far as I know, this point hasn't been addressed in the other WoD threads. If I've missed them then I apologise and could you tell me where the relevant post is. Thanks.

Are people actually using character sheets from the respective WoD games as a way of tracking their characters development? I noticed one or two people mentioning creating character sheets but did not notice any mention of this being a must-do. And if it is then how are experience points determined (since thats how the sheet changes). I assume we won't be playing it as a table-top game (ie rolling dice in threads etc). Basically I just want to know if this will still be a prose format like the SWRP.

I just wanted to know whether or not there was a limit to how powerful - or in terms of vampires, old - a starting character can be. In the Star Wars RP it was generally accepted that new characters could not be uber-powerful masters from the word 'go' but rather had to develop their power through training threads and actual practical experience in roleplays. On a similar note as above, if character sheets were being used initially, then for a vampire their power would be determined by whethe ror not that person has put points into the 'Generation' background. But if that is not the case, is it acceptable to create a character who is an Elder or even a Methuselah.

Thanks in advance.

Mandy with an I
Apr 11th, 2006, 09:29:10 AM
I used the character sheets to keep track of basic abilities and disciplines for my characters; mostly because I've never rped WoD before and wanted to make them though. I don't think you need them, but if you want to make up one as a reference, feel free. It's just like SW rping, but with Vampires, Werewolves and Immortals, oh my!

As far as age is concerned, Erzsebet is the oldest at 358. She only has one major discipline (Vicissitude), so I think that helps to off-set any possible "Uber-powerful" vampireness. All the other vampires are younger than 300 years old AFAIK.

Katarina Gordislava
Apr 11th, 2006, 11:21:57 AM
We are ranking our vampires by generation. Actually I should put mine in my bio.

Eszerbet is a generation 7, Gabriel Rodermark is an 8, and Katarina is a gen 9.

I think we're allowing people to play generation 5 and up. Actual age in years doesn't matter as much, as the 'power' of a vampire increases through generation ranking, not age.

Vega Van-Derveld
Apr 11th, 2006, 12:07:42 PM
I haven't made any character sheets, but I have a good idea in my head what the strengths/limitations of my characters are. Since we aren't using dice, it's not really necessary to have all those point and dot systems filled out.

As for how powerful your character can be... I think Methuselah's should probably be reserved for NPC status, as they are regarded as being (according to the White Wolf Wiki) 'unplayable'. Elders are fine, because they are (AFAIK) just kindred who are over 300 years old. I would say 6th or 7th gen and above would be best, since Methuselah's are cited as being 4th or 5th gen.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 11th, 2006, 12:09:59 PM
Ah ok, I remembered Morgan saying 5th was ok, but maybe he meant we can't play 5th or below. 6th and up is a-ok with me. :)